So for one reason or another my collecting habits have taken a turn towards the 1980’s lately.  I’ve picked up sets of Palmer Standards, Deacons, Spalding Tour Editions, Hogan Medallions (1982 model) and some Grinds (yes, early 90’s, not 80’s)

Looking at my collection of wedges I realize I don’t have single 1980’s sand wedge right now.  

Other than the obvious Ping Eye 2, what other sand wedges were the ones to have in the 1980’s?

The bag...
Orlimar persimmon driver
Orlimar Diamond laminate 3,4 woods 
Hogan Medallion 3-Equalizer

Wilson 3-D Triple Duty wedge

Rife Legend Z putter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rusty 60--best of the '80s, best wedge ever made. I bought one when the first came out and it was magic. Light weight, so I could move it around without digging in and I could hit several flavors of f

I have a couple of Ram Troon Grind nickel wedges; a 56* 1982 TW Commemorative and a 58* Ram Staff. I don't think these are the highly sought after versions. To be honest, I notice no differe

These were all made in '88.... To paraphrase Fellaheen51 , "when one plays Hogan irons , they should be accompanied with Hogan SI's....... Late '80's to '93 I bagged the '88 Redline irons with th

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, deejaid said:

So for one reason or another my collecting habits have taken a turn towards the 1980’s lately.  I’ve picked up sets of Palmer Standards, Deacons, Spalding Tour Editions, Hogan Medallions (1982 model) and some Grinds (yes, early 90’s, not 80’s)

Looking at my collection of wedges I realize I don’t have single 1980’s sand wedge right now.  

Other than the obvious Ping Eye 2, what other sand wedges were the ones to have in the 1980’s?

Deejaid,

At the risk of Ram jacking this thread before it even gets going, I played Ram Tom Watson Scoring System wedges from the '80's onwards, still had a 50* PW in my bag until the start of this year. Great as wedges, including Troon Grind variations, maybe not so good as sand irons which is why I swapped to Wilson R90 and then R20 - these were probably still made in the '80's but the design is clearly older. 

• Like 2

I've played the Cleveland wedges since the 588 came out in 1988.  That wedge really created the specialty sand wedge market.  Prior to that, they had the 485 which was a good wedge... although I never played one regularly.  I think the Cobra Phil Rodgers trusty rusty wedges were from that era.  Early in the 80's I played a custom wedge made by a guy in Pennsylvania.  They were all knock offs of the Wilson Dynapower designs from the 60's and 70's.

Ping Eye2 was very popular with some, love it or hate it. 

588’s

I loved my Spaulding Johnny Miller 56 Finesse wedge. Spaulding and JM made a whole line of really nice wedges with different lofts and grinds. 

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Ping Eye2 was very popular with some, love it or hate it. 

588’s

I loved my Spaulding Johnny Miller 56 Finesse wedge. Spaulding and JM made a whole line of really nice wedges with different lofts and grinds. 

I’m thinking a Spalding Johnny Miller might be in order.   I’ve gotten my newly acquired Spalding Tour Edition’s to the range a couple times now and they are some special irons.   Man are they good...

The bag...
Orlimar persimmon driver

Rife Legend Z putter

I'm with @Foozle, fan of the Ram Watson wedges.  I still sometimes use a TW855 that I've owned for almost 20 years.  Still does the job.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Rusty 60--best of the '80s, best wedge ever made. I bought one when the first came out and it was magic. Light weight, so I could move it around without digging in and I could hit several flavors of flop shots on command. Starts at 60, but it opens up so nicely that I can take a full swing, hit it straight up over a tree, and it only goes 30 feet. Good out of the sand also.

Like a fool, I gave mine away when I got the hip new Cleveland wedge, which I could never hit delicate shots with, and put that away when I got a Volkey, which was better, but not close the the Rusty. Then, last year, it occurred to me I could probably find one on eBay, and a week later I had a practically NOS Rusty in my bag. First round back with my old friend and all the magic came back. Its rare that I don't hit at least one shot each round with the Rusty that makes people says "how did you do that." (Then again, if I hit more greens, I wouldn't have so many fancy shots to make to get up and down).

Still there, never leaving, and now I can hit all the wedge shots I want again. I switch irons and woods almost every round, and used three putters throughout this year, but the Rusty is constant. I haven't met many people who feel the same was as I do, but I crafted my whole wedge game around this club and my swing never worked with any other...and its never coming out of my bag again.

1555838429_smallrusty.jpeg.0554b2560e375ccb4081a050871864cc.jpeg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, deejaid said:

Wasn’t there a highly sought after Ram sand wedge, made of nickel if I recall?

I have a couple of Ram Troon Grind nickel wedges; a 56* 1982 TW Commemorative and a 58* Ram Staff.

I don't think these are the highly sought after versions.

To be honest, I notice no difference between steel and nickel? 

20201122_072844.jpg

20201122_073015.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm with @Foozle, fan of the Ram Watson wedges.  I still sometimes use a TW855 that I've owned for almost 20 years.  Still does the job.

I basically wore out my TW855 which is why I changed and found that for bunker play I prefer the rounded or radius sole of the R20. This year I moved to a Hogan set up and following comments here got myself a 5613 Sure Out, the radius sole on that works well for me in sand.

Still love the Ram's and they remain my '80's recommendation. 

I have TW855, 860 & 864 as well as 53,56 & 58 in Troon Grind.

The TW864 is just too lofted so not a club I have gamed.

IMGP0191.JPG.jpg

IMGP0193.JPG.jpg

IMGP0195.JPG.jpg

IMGP0196.JPG.jpg

• Like 2

Have and or played several of the wedges mentioned prior.  Would add some of my favorites.  

Hogan SI wedges from the period.  The Special ('72 - '83) with Sand Iron stamped on the sole.  The Special - SI ('84 - '90) stamped on back.  BeCu Special-SI ('88 - '90).  The Cu looks distinctive in the bag.  But of the three, think I prefer the SI sole stamped version the best.  So well balanced, quite playable from all lies.  Of the belief that when one plays Hogan irons, should be accompanied with a Hogan SW.  

Wilson Staff Tour Blade JP II sand wedge ('81 - '90).  IIRC, they were very popular on tour at the time.  A excellent wedge to utilize.  And for the same reason as above, if you play Wilson irons should have a Wilson SW.  Seems as though I crossed paths with a JP I also, but not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

And a FWIW.  Once picked up locally a + no + Eye 2 SW (although didn't realize it at the time) a few years back.  Never having experienced the E2 SW thing.  Couldn't hit that thing to save my life.  Looking down at all that offset.  Didn't feel "buttery" compared to the Hogans.  Nothing but chunks.  It's long gone.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8 hours ago, deejaid said:

Wasn’t there a highly sought after Ram sand wedge, made of nickel if I recall?

There are at least a couple Watson Commemorative wedges, based on his 82 US Open win.  I have two models, one is the Troon Grind 56* that Foozle has pictured, the second is a 58* with a medium width sole with a bit of camber to it, and a little plastic emblem in the back, near the top part of the toe (some just have a PB17 stamp).  I'll see if I can dig it up and snap a pic.

Ram also had Spin Groove model wedges, which are probably just square groove models.  I had a 58* that had 14* bounce, loved that thing.  I seem to have lost it, it vanished last year.  

Edited by NRJyzr

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S

Mark me down as another fan of the RAM Tom Watson Scoring System wedges.  I have an 850 and 855 in stainless and an 53 and 58 in BeCu.

Edited by scomac2002
  • Like 1

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

Ram dominated our club low hcp section. BeCu and Cobalt 53, 55 and 58s were the most popular. Hogan also made some great wedges. Copper 55 and 56 hugely popular. Add in Staff JPs and Ping Eye plus Eye 2s. The most popular Cleveland wedges were the 485 and 691. We also had some excellent UK made wedges. John Letters, Dunlop and Slazenger all made excellent sand irons. 

These were all made in '88.... To paraphrase Fellaheen51 , "when one plays Hogan irons , they should be accompanied with Hogan SI's.......

Late '80's to '93 I bagged the '88 Redline irons with the matching 56° sand iron.  I also owned the Beryllium 52° and 56° Fw and Si , but did not bag them for serious or money games....they were too pretty ,and I found myself taking srokes for unplayable lies when facing shots from rocky areas......

In '93 I switched to Mizzy TN87 irons 3 thru 52° Aw....that opened the sand wedge slot to fee agency...

The Wilson Staff JP 57° ( made in 91-93) filled that slot for the next 5 years....till I went Hogan again with the '99 Apex...

20201028_144655.jpg

20201028_144224.jpg

20201028_143810.jpg

20201001_064704.jpg

Edited by KRW59
  • Like 3

Some of those Ram Watson wedges look pretty nice.   I’ve been searching a bit on eBay and there is quite a few nice examples.

I think the biggest thing for me is the leading edge shape.   Those super rounded leading edges that were popular on a lot of sand wedges in the 1970’s are great from the sand but not as versatile from the rough or tight lies.

One of the biggest attractions for me to playing a vintage set up is the simplicity of my wedge choices.  A 50* pitching wedge and a single 54-56* sand wedge that can be manipulated easily for different shots around the green is all I really need or want.   My modern set with a 135 yard Pitching Wedge which necessitates a Gap wedge, and a sand wedge, and maybe even a lob wedge just takes away from my simple enjoyment of the game.

• Like 1

The bag...
Orlimar persimmon driver

Rife Legend Z putter

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Some of those Ram Watson wedges look pretty nice.   I’ve been searching a bit on eBay and there is quite a few nice examples.

I think the biggest thing for me is the leading edge shape.   Those super rounded leading edges that were popular on a lot of sand wedges in the 1970’s are great from the sand but not as versatile from the rough or tight lies.

One of the biggest attractions for me to playing a vintage set up is the simplicity of my wedge choices.  A 50* pitching wedge and a single 54-56* sand wedge that can be manipulated easily for different shots around the green is all I really need or want.   My modern set with a 135 yard Pitching Wedge which necessitates a Gap wedge, and a sand wedge, and maybe even a lob wedge just takes away from my simple enjoyment of the game.

The TW855 wedge tends to be pretty flat on the leading edge.  There's a hint of rounding, but not much.

Here's a random eBay listing that might show it

https://www.ebay.com/c/1955622516

I was happy to see the Hogan BeCu series already listed by a couple members ahead of me. Until this year I had always been pretty steady with various combinations of Vokey wedges over the years. This year I got more into traditional equipment and it just didn't feel right having Vokey wedges next to my MacGregor persimmons and Hogan Apex II's, so on a whim I picked up a Hogan BeCu Special SI and threw it in the bag. First round out with it in the bag and a few friendly wagers later, it had paid for itself roughly 10x over. Hasn't left the bag since, I love that club. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, deejaid said:

Oddly, I find those rounded leading edges preferrable for most shots.  I'm not big on taking a divot, but the curved leading edge actually helps in that regard.  The rounded leading edge is something I look for in a modern wedge.  I find the excessive bounce and blunt leading edges of a lot of game improvement wedges to actually be a hinderance rather than a help for my game.

• Like 3

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

I preferred the Cleveland 485 series wedges, especially the 60 degree LW.  I gamed both the Sand Wedge and LW.

TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

On 11/22/2020 at 2:38 AM, Foozle said:

I have a couple of Ram Troon Grind nickel wedges; a 56* 1982 TW Commemorative and a 58* Ram Staff.

I don't think these are the highly sought after versions.

To be honest, I notice no difference between steel and nickel? 

20201122_072844.jpg

20201122_073015.jpg

I also have one of each and they dont play any different

I, too, love the hogan BeCu 56*. Bought my 1st one in the late 80s to go with my redlines. Have worn our out 4 sets of redlines and around the same # of the sand wedges. Always looking for brand new ones. Buy them when I can find them.

Occasionally I see what appears to be a new BeCu, but the find it has been fitted with a non apex shaft,,,pure heresy!

seems as though someone, or many someone’s, found new BeCu heads from the demise of hogan years ago and fitted them with all kinds of shafts that are so inappropriate.