Best club for 5 year old beginner?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

US Kids clubs

Probably sim max, but get the real ventus...  LOL!

For a 5 year old child?  A putter.  Easy for them to wield with a bit of instruction.  They have fun knocking the ball around on a practice green.  That's been my experience with my grandson this summ

For a 5 year old child?  A putter.  Easy for them to wield with a bit of instruction.  They have fun knocking the ball around on a practice green.  That's been my experience with my grandson this summer past.  Then add an appropriately sized PW.  Learn from the green back.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

A putter.

I came across an article on golf and pediatrics. The doctor advised against kids younger than 7 overdoing full swings - the whipping of the hips can lead to spinal injuries. 

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

FWIW, I started my five year old with a hybrid that was the right length for his height. It was kind of dumb luck where it was one of the few clubs that fit him and wasn't a toy at my local golf shop. From what he's told me, the size of the head made him feel like he could hit better.

That experiment was a success and I quickly got him a whole set (Wilson) with a driver, short iron, wedge, and putter. Conveniently again, starting with the hybrid was a good way to go because it was club that wasn't also in the set.

Good luck on your journey - my boy and I have been hitting the range regularly together for almost a year and I think it's one of the best things you can do to get your kid outside at that age.

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5° at 8°

3W: TaylorMade V-Steel 15°

3H: Taylormade M3 19°

Irons (4-W): Titleist 718 AP1 (21°-48°)

SW: Titleist Vokey SM7 54° S grind (brushed steel)

LW: Titleist Vokey SM7 60° S grind (slate blue)

Putter: TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 2

I cut down an old 5 wood for our daughter when she was about 6 and that was her club for a couple of years, along with a putter.  I didn't worry too much about the weight and shaft flex as a good shot that got airborne would go about 30-40 yds.  She would tee it up everywhere, then learned to sweep it off the deck after a while.    Progressed to local golf league (ages 8-10)with a half set, then AJGA and finally a college golf scholarship at D1 school.  Keep it simple and encourage the fun aspect, even it bears little resemblance to real golf.