My kid stole my irons/wedges looking for new(old) Mizzy set

I'm looking for some input here on irons since I have not even looked at new gear in forever.  I'm somewhere between a 6-10 index, and am looking for OLDER Mizuno irons.

I used to play MP60s and got along well with them, I decided that I wanted more forgiveness and switched to MX-200 and played those for a bit until they were just too damn ugly stand over so I switched to the TM 300 forged which I really enjoy the look, but can be harsh on mishits.  My son is taking the MX-200, so I am looking for another set of Mizzys that is more pleasing than the MX-200.  I'm looking at MP-64, MP-53, MP-54.  I am leaning towards the 64s.  Would those be considered more or less forgiving than the TM 300 forged?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the MP-53s would be more forgiving than the TM300s because the 53s are more of a game improvement pocket cavity where the 64s are true players cavity backs that offer minimal forgiveness IMO. 

Here’s an old Mark Crossfield review of the MP-53s and MP-64s. 

Prior to the Pandemic, I picked up sets of MP-57 and MP-67 irons in very good condition with standard specs and DG S300 shafts.  They’re both extremely smooth and I would recommend giving them a try if possible. 

Edited by llamont
I love golf

The TM-300 have several characteristics we are looking for: Forged, perimeter weighted, cavity back, and a sole wider than a true blade (but less so than a game improvement club)

MP-64 would likely be less forgiving than your TM 300.  64s have some perimeter weighting but are really close to being a classic blade otherwise.  Feel great when struck well, but can be harsh when not.

I think the MP-53s will be more forgiving. I've hit them and they are great clubs.  Similar perimeter weighting but more cavity back than the TM-300.  The face feels a bit hot and they launch high due to the undercut channel on the non-scoring irons (3-7).  

The MP-54s are in my bag to this day, having upgraded from JPX-825 Pros and MX-23s before that.  Some perimeter weighting, some cavity back (but less than the 53s) and the same undercut channel on the 3-7 give them good launch.  The are closer to a muscle-back in the 8-PW.  They feel dense and solid when struck right, as opposed to GI clubs where the face feels hot.  

Other options would be the JPX-825 Pro, JPX-850 Forged, JPX-900 Forged.  All have the characteristics I mentioned above.  Can't go wrong with any of them.   Hope this helps, and good luck!

11 hours ago, hagimihale said:

The TM-300 have several characteristics we are looking for: Forged, perimeter weighted, cavity back, and a sole wider than a true blade (but less so than a game improvement club)

MP-64 would likely be less forgiving than your TM 300.  64s have some perimeter weighting but are really close to being a classic blade otherwise.  Feel great when struck well, but can be harsh when not.

I think the MP-53s will be more forgiving. I've hit them and they are great clubs.  Similar perimeter weighting but more cavity back than the TM-300.  The face feels a bit hot and they launch high due to the undercut channel on the non-scoring irons (3-7).  

The MP-54s are in my bag to this day, having upgraded from JPX-825 Pros and MX-23s before that.  Some perimeter weighting, some cavity back (but less than the 53s) and the same undercut channel on the 3-7 give them good launch.  The are closer to a muscle-back in the 8-PW.  They feel dense and solid when struck right, as opposed to GI clubs where the face feels hot.  

Other options would be the JPX-825 Pro, JPX-850 Forged, JPX-900 Forged.  All have the characteristics I mentioned above.  Can't go wrong with any of them.   Hope this helps, and good luck!

Fortunately, GolfWorks measures and publishes MOI as part of MPF, so we can see what is what.

You hit it pretty well, the MP53s are closest to the TM 300 in terms of MOI.  The MP54 are a little behind that, and the 64s are lagging behind, closer to MP4 or other blades than the TM300s.

The 300s are actually the most forgiving of this group based on pure numbers, but the difference between them and the MP53 is not much.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5