2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Which Tees, Distance Or Ability?

platgof

I play the senior tees, but so does my playing partner who can outdrive me by 30 yards or more. The problem is I usually beat him by 3 or more strokes most of the time. My problem is it gives him an unfair advantage on most holes, and I really get p!ssed about it. When he is hitting two into a par five that is unreachable for me...... I gave him an ultimatum, play a set back or we don't play. Was I right?? He is 58 and I am turning 64 next month.

Edited by platgof
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

2 hours ago, platgof said:

I play the senior tees, but so does my playing partner who can outdrive me by 30 yards or more. The problem is I usually beat him by 3 or more strokes most of the time. My problem is it gives him an unfair advantage on most holes, and I really get p!ssed about it. When he is hitting two into a par five that is unreachable for me...... I gave him an ultimatum, play a set back or we don't play. Was I right?? He is 58 and I am turning 64 next month.

No u were wrong. Jesus dude get over yourself. 

• Like 1

This is insanity. You’re completely in the wrong. 

Score is all that matters. You beat him by 3 and you want him to move back a box? Why? So you can beat him by 5?

If you’re playing straight up, you should have him move up another box, or you move back a box, to make the games more fair. 

If you’re using handicaps, let him play whatever boxes he wants to play. The app will figure out the strokes. 

If I stopped playing with everyone that outdrives me by 30 yards, I would only have 1 guy I could play with. And he “outdrives” me because he plays up 2 boxes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Augster said:

This is insanity. You’re completely in the wrong. 

Score is all that matters. You beat him by 3 and you want him to move back a box? Why? So you can beat him by 5?

If you’re playing straight up, you should have him move up another box, or you move back a box, to make the games more fair. 

If you’re using handicaps, let him play whatever boxes he wants to play. The app will figure out the strokes. 

If I stopped playing with everyone that outdrives me by 30 yards, I would only have 1 guy I could play with. And he “outdrives” me because he plays up 2 boxes. 

I think you lost me here. If one moves up a box does he play shorter or longer hole? Moving back sounds to me like he would be playing the hole longer.

Care to explain?

So if he starts winning all the matches, then what? I am just saying he is younger and hits the ball further, so I feel I am being cheated by this. He thinks that if you are over 50 you are entitled to play the senior tees, and I say no your not. But he is okay with it if we both play the white tees, one tee back. And why should I have to work harder on my game to beat him? I feel I may have touched a sore subject for some long hitters who are cheating their playing partners?

• Confused 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

20 minutes ago, platgof said:

So if he starts winning all the matches, then what? I am just saying he is younger and hits the ball further, so I feel I am being cheated by this. He thinks that if you are over 50 you are entitled to play the senior tees, and I say no your not. But he is okay with it if we both play the white tees, one tee back. And why should I have to work harder on my game to beat him? I feel I may have touched a sore subject for some long hitters who are cheating their playing partners?

Are you playing a handicapped match? If yes, then how far he hits it doesn't matter.

If you don't understand that basic concept maybe it's time to stop playing matches.

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, platgof said:

Are you evening listening to YOURSELF ? :classic_ninja:

You are WINNING and complaining it's UNFAIR TO YOU; that HE is "cheating". I'd say you can't make this stuff up but apparently you can !!! smiley-bounce022.gif.f7a793a58a8edc4853e

This reminds me of a time I was playing with 3 guys. One guy I knew, a casual "friend", as I'd played with him before, maybe 5 times total.

So we made a fun match. Better ball, 2 man teams with strokes. He and his friend and me and his other friend. We played off my ball and made a best guess at handicaps since none of the 3 of them had one.

So the 3 of them got strokes. 1 guy got 8, my "friend" got 6 and my partner got 4. 

My friend and his partner WON the front "1 up" and he wanted to LOWER my partner's strokes on the back 9,,,,,,,,,, saying he was getting too many shots. Oh, and we were playing a ONE dollar Nassau. :classic_ohmy:

Pretty funny. :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

There are no pictures or videos on the scorecard. And there are no spots for asterisks (*but I had long drive on every hole). Low score wins (hole, or round, depending on the game).

My wife and I played a 2-man scramble event yesterday with two younger guys. I drive it 240-260, pretty straight, and when I'm on with my irons, I'm pretty darn good. She hits it 140-150 off the tee, and maybe 120 with a 5 wood.

We shot gross 69 (with a stupid bogey when I let a drive get away and she had her only poor swing on a tee all day .... missed an 8 footer for the par). The young guys were driving it 40+ yards past me. They shot 73 .....

We left a 67 on the course; they putted well to get their 73.

It's. Not. About. The. Distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goaliedad30 said:

There are no pictures or videos on the scorecard. And there are no spots for asterisks (*but I had long drive on every hole). Low score wins (hole, or round, depending on the game).

My wife and I played a 2-man scramble event yesterday with two younger guys. I drive it 240-260, pretty straight, and when I'm on with my irons, I'm pretty darn good. She hits it 140-150 off the tee, and maybe 120 with a 5 wood.

We shot gross 69 (with a stupid bogey when I let a drive get away and she had her only poor swing on a tee all day .... missed an 8 footer for the par). The young guys were driving it 40+ yards past me. They shot 73 .....

We left a 67 on the course; they putted well to get their 73.

It's about the finish!

6 hours ago, platgof said:

This is what the handicap system is for. It makes matches equitable between opponents regardless of skill level, regardless of boxes played. 

It may be time for you and your friend to get handicaps and start enjoying golf fairly. Instead of you fleecing him from the same tees. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I think you lost me here. If one moves up a box does he play shorter or longer hole? Moving back sounds to me like he would be playing the hole longer.

Care to explain?

If you move “up a box” you play a shorter course. If you move “back a box” you play a longer course. 

The OP regularly beats his opponent by 3 shots with both playing the same boxes. Apparently, no handicaps are involved, so the match is played scratch. 

Since the OP’s demonstrated ability is about 3 shots better than his opponent, they could play split tees with, either, the OP moves back a box, or the OP stays on the senior tees and his opponent should move up a box. This would make it more equitable playing a match, scratch. 

Instead, the OP, with a demonstrated ability that is 3 shots better than his opponent from the same tees, wants the opponent to move back a box to make the match “more fair”. It’s preposterous. He had a 3-shot advantage playing from the same tees. Now he wants the inferior opponent to move back a box so he has, what, a FIVE SHOT advantage?

With friends like these.....

Edited by Augster
  • Haha 1

There is no age component to tee selection. You pick the tees that maximize your enjoyment of the game (within reason WRT pace of play). Or you pick the tees that you and your opponent(s) agree to. There is no 'age 50' or 'age 60' thing, despite one set of tees commonly being referred to as 'senior tees'. 

Some golf organizations have age rules and that is their thing and not a golf rules thing. 

dave

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Augster said:

If you move “up a box” you play a shorter course. If you move “back a box” you play a longer course. 

Just wanted to make sure as your post here did not make any sense:

'If you’re playing straight up, you should have him move up another box, or you move back a box, to make the games more fair. '

• Confused 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:07 PM, platgof said:

• Were you right?  NO-- For reasons stated by others. 
  • You beat him most the time yet you think he has an unfair advantage?  That makes no sense at all.
  • Giving a guy an "ultimatum" over something like this makes you sound like a jerk. 
  • If you get "p!ssed" as you say, then why not just play golf and enjoy the time... no competition.  If you can't do that then maybe you should re-evaluate whom you play with or your priorities in general.
  • If he moves back a set of tees he will get more strokes, maybe even beat you more often.
  • I personally often get beat by guys I drive it past. Score on the card is the only thing that matters.
  • Senior/Women's Tee's really is an obsolete term that should be relegated to the archives.  Anyone should play the tees that make them happy provided they can keep up. The handicap system cares for the rest.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:
  •  
  • Senior/Women's Tee's really is an obsolete term that should be relegated to the archives.  Anyone should play the tees that make them happy provided they can keep up. The handicap system cares for the rest.

814582434_WRXSMILEYTHREE.png.ababe35c156870d2460243d4a13eebd5.png

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I understand that you feel that you are at a disadvantage off the tee but you are clearly the better golfer. It would be like the other guy saying you have to move back a box because you hit 9 greens on average and he hits 5. 

This is what the handicap formula is for. It does a pretty fair job of evening out the skill level regardless of how many more times you get up and down, hit it closer to the hole, one putt, or even if he outdrives you. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

1 hour ago, platgof said:

I get it, but it really feels like he is cheating to me. I shot 39 and he shot 44 Saturday, and we had to take a rain check for the back nine. 

You will have to explain how driving the ball farther than you is "cheating"?  Maybe you should just play every hole from the 150 yard marker, but then you would likely complain that he was hitting a seven iron and you were hitting a six iron?

Suggest you just get over it - getting outdriven by someone isn't considered cheating by the longer hitter.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Just wanted to make sure as your post here did not make any sense:

'If you’re playing straight up, you should have him move up another box, or you move back a box, to make the games more fair. '

I know English isn’t your first language, but that sentence is perfectly coherent to a native English speaker/reader. 

“If you’re playing straight up” (means no handicap involved. I.e. a scratch competition) “you should have him move up another box” (from the same boxes, the OP is 3 shots better, scratch. Inferior player should move up a box to make the match more fair) “, or you move back a box,” (OR the inferior player could stay at the same tee box, the senior tees in this case, and the OP, “you” in this case, could move back a box)”, to make the games more fair.”

Happy to help. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, platgof said:

I get it, but it really feels like he is cheating to me. I shot 39 and he shot 44 Saturday, and we had to take a rain check for the back nine. 

• You say you "get it" but it doesn't seem so. Or you're not presenting the whole story to us.
  • You say it "feels like he's cheating you" because he drives it past you.
  • You also say you usually beat him by 3 or more strokes.
  • So now you want him to move back a set of tees.  Is this so you can beat him more often and by more strokes? 
  • If you're using handicaps then none of this should matter. Moving him back will give him more strokes. 
  • If you're not using handicaps then why would he even want to play against you? You're clearly a better golfer because you're usually the winner as it is right now.

Something doesn't' add up here or you're trolling.