Building a stance?

Back in the day this was not allowed.  Have recent rule changes made it ok?  This was Villegas on the 6th hole today.  Steep bunker face, stance built up enough to place both feet on the same level.   I had thought you could fairly take your stance and then wiggle you feet enough to dig in and gain purchase.  If I had done it, my right foot would have been significantly below my left once I had dug in.  I assume I am wrong, so what is the rule now?

4BBB2EAB-83FD-4EAE-A372-CBF3F5BDEF2A.jpeg

111DB447-6A80-4EE1-B4E7-1FA5D93ED222.jpeg

Edited by Yuck
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry, think I just inadvertently discovered the “gif” feature   😂  

You can take a stance. You cannot build one.  So, for instance, you cannot sweep extra sand up to stand on. In the example in the op he could not burrow in and then sweep up sand to stabilize one or b

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Yuck said:

I assume I am wrong, so what is the rule now?

4BBB2EAB-83FD-4EAE-A372-CBF3F5BDEF2A.jpeg

111DB447-6A80-4EE1-B4E7-1FA5D93ED222.jpeg

Rule 13.3 is the same as it's been, that is "building a stance" is not permitted. Villegas adopted the only stance he reasonably could , so no violation by him.

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

12 hours ago, 80sFredriksson said:

How is that the only stance he can take? Can’t he stand on the grass and play it in the ”wrong” direction?

This is a general question, nothing against Villegas here this has been done many times

A player may take any stance, alignment etc.. he chooses to take.  The OP's question was about "building a stance". Villegas simply planted his feet , took aim, and played his shot. He did not build a stance no Rule was violated. Sand or other loose impediments may move when a player takes a stance and that is within the Rules, permitted.

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I got it.  Left foot is clearly just dug in.  Question was whether the right foot is just dug in, or was sand displaced from the left foot built up under the right foot enough to be above the original level of the sand,  I agree that was not likely.  A different angle would be needed to see that anyway.  Also, the process to “build up” would have been visible, so very unlikely on tour.   Craig Stadler was probably the last pro ever penalized for that rule.  (Towel gate)..