Suddenly can't hit hybrid or 3 wood...

Playing off 4 cap. Struggled allot this year but seem to have my swing back in order lately. Hitting driver well, hitting all irons as well as I ever have, but my hybrid and 3 wood are total junk. Weak duck hooks all day long. I figure it has to be mental, given how good I am hitting the rest of the bag- any other ideas I should explore?

Edited by 2bGood
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, when I suck with the fairways/utilities, I tend to be yanking the handle too hard (forward/out) in transition because I don't shift left early enough. 

My guess would be dropping club too far behind you, stall, flip to get club back in front with a square face. It may be a subconscious mental thing or you just don’t yank the handle as hard or get as

When I start to get a little wonky in this range, it's usually because I'm over swinging or trying to go after it like I would driver.    For the most part, my 5W is probably my most reliabl

Personally, when I suck with the fairways/utilities, I tend to be yanking the handle too hard (forward/out) in transition because I don't shift left early enough. 

• Like 1

M5 9.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Neutral Adapter/Weight

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 

(B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

• 2bGood changed the title to Suddenly can't hit hybrid or 3 wood...

When I start to get a little wonky in this range, it's usually because I'm over swinging or trying to go after it like I would driver. 

For the most part, my 5W is probably my most reliable club. I think it's because I just trust it and I don't feel like I need to overpower it. So a thing I try to remember with my 3W and 3H is ... THINK a shorter swing and THINK a more relaxed swing. That's how I always approach my 5W but for whatever reason, don't always do so with those two. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 15°, 18°

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW

Miura 56° 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

#TeamJumboMax

I've fallen in love with my hybrids this year and the main thing for me is to "swing easy" or swing smooth.  I try to be lazy at the top of my swing.  Yanking at the top just kills long clubs for me.  As the club gets longer I have to think think swing easier/smoother.  I'm about as hard headed as it gets so it's taken 18 months for me to get this in my thick skull and funny thing is I haven't lost any distance. 

I've actually started hitting my 4 hybrid anywhere from 180 - 210 b/c I like it so much.  Can just take a little off and hit a cut to make it shorter or swing normal and get 200+ out of it.

Try hitting your hybrid and fairway 60% of their normal distance for a while with a full swing.  Might get sequenced up better.  I always go low and left when I'm trying to kill the ball at the start of my downswing

On 11/21/2020 at 11:21 PM, ALIF said:

My guess would be dropping club too far behind you, stall, flip to get club back in front with a square face. It may be a subconscious mental thing or you just don’t yank the handle as hard or get as stuck with the other clubs. The Tour striker Planemate will cure this. Cheers.

This!

OP, when I here duck hook, I automatically think tilting the right shoulder down in transition. Leads to a super in to out path and low snap hooks especially with the longer clubs. I know that flaw all too well and it usually infects the whole bag over time if left uncorrected.

• Like 1