Please help me replace my old a** driver

I’ve tried a lot of drivers and even have used some for months but always end reverting to my old a** Ping i15 because I simply hit it better.The only issue is the major lack of forgiveness compared to newer models. My left miss has a much higher chance to be catastrophic when compared to the new stuff. Idk if it’s the shaft, UST Avivcore tour red 69, or the shape of the head and its deep face. Help appreciated 

Edited by Bite335
  • Bite335 changed the title to Please help me replace my old a** driver
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone looking to replace a Ping I15 with something better is like a girl dating a pimp who runs a dogfighting ring on the side, and being like "Do you think there are nicer men out there?"  

Friends don't let friends play Titleist

Get a pre-owned Titleist TS2. You won't be sorry.

7 hours ago, aenemated said:

And we're done here. Close the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Someone looking to replace a Ping I15 with something better is like a girl dating a pimp who runs a dogfighting ring on the side, and being like "Do you think there are nicer men out there?"

Just go to the store and purchase literally any driver. 

One of the newer G's would make sense. In fact get 2 of them, one to play golf with, and the other to club to death the person who designed the I15

Or just get one and use the I15 to club to death the same person that designed it. More ironic that way. 🤣

Get fit is the easy answer... bludgeoning the designer of the i15 to death with their own driver seems like the logical extreme in the other direction. 

in terms of replacement, it depends on your budget and your preferences... the new ping driver has gotten tons of positive feedback and I’m sure the lst version will be phenomenal if they release one... 

cobra is releasing a driver that’s named the rad... so if you are a fan of 80s bmx movies, this one is a no brainer.

new titliest driver seems to be wowing people in both distance and forgiveness... with ping and titliest having to tier releases, you’d assume Taylor made and callaway are going to have to not pull any punches... 2021 might be a great year to upgrade!

if you want used or less expensive, st200g from mizuno... it’ll get you there!

basically, you need to decide what you want to do (used, new, wait 2 months to see the field) and then figure out what works for you... or just buy the rad and research the theory that Bart let cru win in the finals... 

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

43 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

He asked .....I told

From what I’ve read of the tsi2, he might regret not getting that instead? Seems like a decent leap for them this season.

As of 6/5/20

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

10 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Why, I never ... 

Edited by aenemated

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 15°, 18°

Titleist TS2H 21°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey SM8 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Custom Phantom X8

2 hours ago, collje26 said:

Being a big ping fan boy myself I'd say stick within the ping family. As others suggested get fit but I'd be hard pressed to find a more stable driver than the ping G400 Max.

+1  According to 'Spys website, the MOI on the G400 Max is one the highest out of all the drivers made from all the OEMs made in the last 5 years (The PXG 0811 XF Generation 2 does have the highest MOI but roughly only 1% more than the G400 Max).

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

3 hours ago, cgasucks said:

+1  According to 'Spys website, the MOI on the G400 Max is one the highest out of all the drivers made from all the OEMs made in the last 5 years (The PXG 0811 XF Generation 2 does have the highest MOI but roughly only 1% more than the G400 Max).

Yeah, but I don’t think he’s looking for maximizing forgiveness... the i15 is not a forgiving driver but he keeps going back

to it (feel? Look? Comfort?) knowingly giving up forgiveness for something... the 400 max is a great generic suggestion, but I have a feeling it’s not what the op is looking for... I’d be interested to hear what he had to say about a ts4, as it seems more along the lines of his current driver with added forgiveness.

As of 6/5/20

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

On 11/22/2020 at 8:53 AM, NRJyzr said:

I don't know why I just noticed this, but your sig reads like War and Peace.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

You're already a Ping guy, might as well stick with it. Any of the most recent G series drivers (400, 410, 425) are all going to boast higher ball speeds and more forgiveness across the face when compared to what you're hitting now. The 400 has a bit of a cult following with many ppl claiming it's the most forgiving of any of their recent offerings, and it can be found online for a pretty solid price. Good luck in your search!

Titleist TS3 8.5 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Titleist TS3 3 wood / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Taylor Made SIM DHY 2 iron / Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 90 Stiff (tipped 1/2")

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

Hey mate, which drivers have you tested so far - in particular the long-term trials? So we can recommend something different..

Mind you, the above comments sound sensible: Ping known to be forgiving, Titleist have good hosel adjustment with loft and open/closed face to help remove bad misses. Cobra F9 and Speedzone get highly recommended for forgiveness as well by some (Rick Shiels for example).

How about that recent TM mini driver (Original One)? Might be a good compromise between driver and going 3 wood (like I did - sold my M2 2017 and will stick with my Nike Covert 2 3w for a while).

Any of the Ping series G30, G, G400 or G410 works very well and are forgiving.  Have hit all of then (using the LST version and a stiff shaft) and my drives all fall around 265 yds and the G-series face shape makes them fairly forgiving of off-centre strikes.  Have also hit the 2 latest cobras and they also work equally well.  My advice is try a driver from any of the major manufacturers at a local range (alongside your own driver) and see what the difference is.  I suspect you will find they are all very similar and your choice will come down to how they perform, sound and your preference for looks. There are very few genuinely bad drivers currently on sale.  Then find the best deal and go for one that fits your budget.  Sadly there is a lot of rubbish and hype surrounding clubs and most would be better having a few lessons from a PGA pro and proper practice.  Remember practice makes permenant so just make sure you are practicing the right thing.  Whatever you buy, swing steady and enjoy the game. Good luck.