Mizuno MP-20 HMB more forgiving than JPX HM Pro's??

I put the JPX HM Pro's in the bag this fall with the Modus 105 (S) shaft.  Forgiving, workable, good feel.   Pretty much "flag hunters" from 175 (7-iron) in.  Not so much with the 5 & 6 irons.  6 iron doesn't travel any farther than the 7 iron, and dispersion is awful.  5 iron goes 200 with a strong draw, but I can work with that.

Played with some friends on a warm day last week.  My cousins son has MP-20's in 7-PW and HMB's for his 5 & 6.   Same Modus 105 (S) shaft as in my irons.   I asked to hit his 5 & 6 HMB's to see the difference between them and my 5 & 6.  I was very surprised to find my accuracy was better with the HMB long irons, than it is with my HM Pro long irons.  Much lower trajectory, but finding the green every shot.  

I was under the impression that the HM Pro's were a More forgiving iron than the HMB.  How can I hit the HMB better?  Missed toe hits still went close to where I wanted with the HMB.  That doesn't happen with the HM Pro long irons.   Does anyone have some insight here?  Am I wrong about the Mizuno forgiveness scale?

Driver: Ping G410
3W: Srixon F85 3+

5W: Cleveland Launcher HB
Irons: Mizuno 921 HM Pro's
Wedges: Harry Taylor 305 - 52, 58
Putter: Cleveland Frontline Elevado

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think HM pro are noticeably more forgiving than HMB. With the strong lofts, and lack of offset, I think the HM pro starts to look a tiny bit unforgiving at 6. And def looks a bit unforgiving at 5. 
Ive owned the 919 HM. 

if I had to to my 921 order again, it would be;

5,6 HM

7-9 HMP

P, GW  Forged. 

again, just my opinion as a 13 cap who has hit HM, HMP, HMB, and forged

I tried both heads at a recent fitting. The HMP were long and forgiving. The HMB were amazing feel, high straight ball flight very similar distance, on decent strikes. On strikes not so good there was a lot less forgiveness and drop off in distance.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Cobra King Forged Tec 2016 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

21 hours ago, MongoSmash said:

I think HM pro are noticeably more forgiving than HMB. With the strong lofts, and lack of offset, I think the HM pro starts to look a tiny bit unforgiving at 6. And def looks a bit unforgiving at 5. 
Ive owned the 919 HM. 

if I had to to my 921 order again, it would be;

5,6 HM

7-9 HMP

P, GW  Forged. 

again, just my opinion as a 13 cap who has hit HM, HMP, HMB, and forged

Would you tweak the lofts at all for the forged? I thought about the same by going 9-pw forged, 5-8 HMP, 4 hot metal.