What 'happened' to Golf Wrx forums?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know for certain, but I'm sure the demise of jonesscott had a lot to do with it.

I'm no psychiatrist but I don't think nearly enough attention is being paid to Covid "depression".   While I haven't gotten sick and only 1 person I even know got sick (and thankfully recove

I wonder if there is any data to support the diminished participation. If there is i don't see why the owners would share it but i guess it's one of those things where it would be interesting to know.

The site did an update. The changes to the site left some members frustrated because it was less user friendly and took longer than expected to end up looking how it does today. 

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

I spend a fraction of the time here that I used to.  Just look at the topics in each of the forums.  In the old days, new topics would rotate the off page one in a day or two, because of posting velocity of new topics.  Now they are there for weeks, if not longer.  

As for the software update, it was not successful and a newer version of the old forum software was implemented.  As the previous poster said, it appears a lot of people moved on, unfortunately.

Hopefully, things will pick up as new products are unveiled.

Edited by Foreleft

I definitely started spending less time on here when the first update was being implemented, almost none at all really. A couple months ago I got back on and noticed that the forums seemed to be working well, and they had a different look from that first update I remember. I'm glad the site seems better now, hope the action picks back up too.

6 hours ago, Foreleft said:

Just look at the topics in each of the forums.  In the old days, new topics would rotate the off page one in a day or two, because of posting velocity of new topics.  Now they are there for weeks, if not longer.

Kind of why I asked this question. Weeks of the same topics that never cycle.

Good points about the upgrade issues, I think many of us were frustrated by it. Now though most of those issues seem behind me at least. For me, the real issue remains the whole COVID-19 situation. Local courses were closed, then open for limited play and now they are open but Governor and Mayor are asking everyone to remain at home for 30 days. After a while the malaise impacts my interest in golf as well as the two forum sites I frequent. Hopefully these issues will clear up in the Spring!

Hope everyone has a safe holiday season!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

The upgrade was the clear turning point. A number of high volume posters left, and then a lot of the regular traffic diminished. 

The discussions over the upgrade itself were pretty crazy - some criticizing, others defending. It was a mess and unfortunate. I can't speak to any one reason why any individual member left, but a lot of the exodus happened around that time. 

Since then, we've obviously come to live in a slightly different world and a lot of people's habits are different too. So, I think a lot of factors are at work keeping the traffic down. 

All that being said, there are a lot of the usual people around and some of the discussions do remain good.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I wonder if there is any data to support the diminished participation. If there is i don't see why the owners would share it but i guess it's one of those things where it would be interesting to know. 

Ironically, this is probably as civil as the site has ever been. I've been here a while and it always seemed like there were some GolfWRX wars going on. The most passionate anyone seems to get is over "blades vs cavities" and that's something we've always had and is pretty tame by comparison. In the old days the OEM trips, Scratch Golf and Tiger threads got downright hostile. It was like opening scene of "Gangs of New York" in here at times

So it's kind of weird that everywhere else on the internet is probably worse...but WRX seems better to me

Maybe it's because some posters are gone. Or it's a perfect storm of Tiger not being as much of a factor, and we no longer do divisive things like the trips 

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

It was shocking to me how few posters there were live on wrx when The Masters was on

That used to be a good way to talk about a major when you were stuck watching it alone, which if far too often now in today's environment

Not so bad in the summer when visits are down because I am golfing, winter time wrx is part of my golf fix

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

The discussions and talking points here are so much less common now than they used to be. I don't think it's the site changeover or upgrade, I think it's a changing of the times and how people get and share their information. Social media has gobbled up conversation of the game IMO. Between this and another golf site I frequent, posts, threads, users are down. The people I know from those sites I see all over social media far more frequently than they are elsewhere. Part of that could be due to the removal of the WRX app, but in general people are choosing to get their information in those ways rather than on forums IMO.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Ironically, this is probably as civil as the site has ever been. I've been here a while and it always seemed like there were some GolfWRX wars going on. The most passionate anyone seems to get is over "blades vs cavities" and that's something we've always had and is pretty tame by comparison. In the old days the OEM trips, Scratch Golf and Tiger threads got downright hostile. It was like opening scene of "Gangs of New York" in here at times

So it's kind of weird that everywhere else on the internet is probably worse...but WRX seems better to me

Maybe it's because some posters are gone. Or it's a perfect storm of Tiger not being as much of a factor, and we no longer do divisive things like the trips 

I must have kept on the periphery of the sections where the trips, etc. caused issues.  What was the problem that made them divisive? 

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

I must have kept on the periphery of the sections where the trips, etc. caused issues.  What was the problem that made them divisive? 

Maybe 5-9 years ago , that time frame was when it got bad. It started out as such a great thing, the OEMs would give us regular schmucks a chance to visit their sites and get fit for like 4000$ worth of stuff, and write reviews about it on the site, document the trips etc....was pretty cool and OEMs were a bit looser with the marketing dollars back then

But it quickly soured, many of the guys who would go on these trips started dominating threads, taking offense to any negative feedback on the equipment, posting in any thread about that OEM that their stuff was indisputably better etc...In many cases to posters who didn't know they had gone on trips and gotten free stuff etc... There started being considerable backlash. 

Furthermore, there started being just embarrassing levels of jockeying and sucking up to go on these things. 

Full disclosure, i went on one right at the end and by then even the OEM (Callaway) was almost encouraging us to write some bad stuff about them just so we didn't come off as so biased LOL

lastly, i don't blame the owners or mods at all. It was the members that ruined it for everyone

• Like 1

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Deschamps Blade 375g

18 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Maybe 5-9 years ago , that time frame was when it got bad. It started out as such a great thing, the OEMs would give us regular schmucks a chance to visit their sites and get fit for like 4000$ worth of stuff, and write reviews about it on the site, document the trips etc....was pretty cool and OEMs were a bit looser with the marketing dollars back then

But it quickly soured, many of the guys who would go on these trips started dominating threads, taking offense to any negative feedback on the equipment, posting in any thread about that OEM that their stuff was indisputably better etc...In many cases to posters who didn't know they had gone on trips and gotten free stuff etc... There started being considerable backlash. 

Furthermore, there started being just embarrassing levels of jockeying and sucking up to go on these things. 

Full disclosure, i went on one right at the end and by then even the OEM (Callaway) was almost encouraging us to write some bad stuff about them just so we didn't come off as so biased LOL

lastly, i don't blame the owners or mods at all. It was the members that ruined it for everyone

I remember one of the Callaway  trip threads getting really nasty and I think at least one of the participants was subsequently banned. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ Triple Diamond 9° w/ Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X-Flex
Taylormade SIM 19° set to 17.5° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI 9X
Titleist U510 2 Iron 18° w/ PX 6.0
Titleist 680 MB 3-PW w/ DG X100
TaylorMade MG2 TW 56°, 60° w/ DGS400
Odyssey White Hot Tour 7H 33"

14 minutes ago, Golfingfanatic said:

I remember one of the Callaway  trip threads getting really nasty and I think at least one of the participants was subsequently banned. 

How do people find the time to be nasty to others on an online golf forum?

They're talking to strangers 😕

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5 Proforce v2 70g x stiff

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15 Proforce v2 80g x stiff

Hybrid- Titleist 910h 19 Motore Speeder Tour Issue 8.8 stiff

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW KBS Tour stiff

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG wedge flex

Putter - Yes! Callie (most the time)

Ball - Titleist Pro v 1

19 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I hated all of you.......because I never got invited to go!😀

I think when they redid the format it really ran off a lot of people. It was difficult to navigate, and most importantly, it was way different. Looks good now (at least in my opinion). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I hated all of you.......because I never got invited to go!😀

I think when they redid the format it really ran off a lot of people. It was difficult to navigate, and most importantly, it was way different. Looks good now (at least in my opinion). 

The format change never bothered me for some reason. I got used to it right away but i remember it was very white at first, and there was a few new weird things to deal with. 

The first thing i said was like "whooooa this needs a dark mode"

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Deschamps Blade 375g

I've never been on a messageboard that didn't see a noticeable drop off in participation after a major upgrade. People just like familiarity.

I also buy the role that social media has had.  More places to get your golf fix/conversation.

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

I'm more of a reader than a poster. And the battles are way down. Was entertaining for a bit, blade threads mostly, but got old after a while. Tiger not as prominent a big factor also. It was like every other thread was a Tiger one. Seriously glad to see that gone. And as nsxguy said above Covid is a huge factor. Basic malaise and just plain flat alot. Kinda like this post. 

Edited by Qqq123xx

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

On 11/23/2020 at 1:26 PM, MtlJeff said:

I'm still miffed my incredible Eli Callaway haiku didn't get me over the finish line for that!  I hadn't really paid attention to any of those trips before - that one was appealing because it involved Torrey South, seemed like the perfect time to get away (and would have worked in a lesson with Monte before or after) and everyone that ended up going was someone I thought would be fun to meet and to play golf with.  I enjoyed all the feedback off of that one and thought that particular thread was pretty well behaved, IMO, and learned that @Sean2 mostly viewed the world on its side, based on his photos, lol.

So unlike @deadsolid...shank I didn't hate anyone (haha), but if you felt any sharp, nagging pains on the back 9 I may have had an old G.I. Joe in golf clothes holding a mini Callaway wedge that I used as a Voodoo doll. 😉

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

As far as the forums, ownership made a commitment to a change, and then another change, and it took forever and seemed pretty much out of their hands as far as issues that were coming up and needed to be solved.  Seemed to wear on some more than others, understandable.

Long term, the look now is fantastic, the site is apparently sustainable, so that's the main thing.

My limited sense of why many left related to a lot of BST issues, so that was understandable.  But functionality was an ongoing problem. The forums do seem a little less rough and tumble overall, and that's probably for the best, but there have been some moderation changes that haven't been all that positive in terms of consistency and what I would call having a little more personal seasoning/perspsective in terms of how things are handled.  Old days, you knew who was moderating what forum at what point in time and you could actually have a little communication (not necessarily about anything negative) - now not as up front about any of that and that's the way they want it.

So . . . . . you adjust or find a different outlet for what you like about this place.  

I don't agree there are topics hanging around forever and little turnover, but to the extent new topics aren't popping up as much as some would expect, we haven't had normal Tour golf for 9 months, lots of folks weren't even able to play or pretend they were teaching themselves "x" YouTube guru's "swing method", golf programming for the most part vanished, not too much being said or written to fire anyone up and yes, Tiger is in the late autumn of his career and whether instruction or Tour sections, a lot of the committed trolls are gone (though some have apparently found ways to get back in under other or even several names in the instruction section). 

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

The problem with this golf board is that the biggest troll, doesn't know he's a troll. He chases away new posters with his snarky comment. The moderators are enablers and let him get away with. That will be the demise of this golf forum.

That's OK, we all cut you some slack anyway. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1