2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What 'happened' to Golf Wrx forums?

pktaske

24 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Oh you should, if not just for the occasional entertainment factor. 🙂 You'll see people get scolded for all sorts of things; disagreeing with the Ruling Bodies, posting a question that doesn't belong in the forum or simple questions with a simple answers that will spiral into pages of discussion/debate between the experts. God forbid someone come there and say "this rule is stupid..." 🤣

Now with that said, I've actually learned a lot about the rules and rule changes by following that forum. But going there is a little like this...

i1GA9-.gif

You've peaked my interest! I'll check it out.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

16 hours ago, nsxguy said:

As many intelligent people as post on these (and other) boards it's somewhat surprising they don't seem to understand that there is no visual or aural cue to what they write.

That was exactly why emoticons were invented, to give additional context.

i.e. to know the difference between 'Who's your daddy ? :classic_biggrin:", "Who's your daddy ? :classic_angry:" and "Who's your daddy ? :classic_ninja: "

You are definitely one of the three, if ya catch my drift sailor. 😘

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Oh you should, if not just for the occasional entertainment factor. 🙂 You'll see people get scolded for all sorts of things; disagreeing with the Ruling Bodies, posting a question that doesn't belong in the forum or simple questions with a simple answers that will spiral into pages of discussion/debate between the experts. God forbid someone come there and say "this rule is stupid..." 🤣

Now with that said, I've actually learned a lot about the rules and rule changes by following that forum. But going there is a little like this...

i1GA9-.gif

Never been there but know who the posters are without looking.....LOL! WRXers fake marshals.....

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 12:45 PM, Titleist99 said:

Never been there but know who the posters are without looking.....LOL! WRXers fake marshals.....

The Rules and Etiquette section is the biggest offender, but there does seem to be an empowering of people who feel the need to post "another thread about this?"  The poster doesn't realize they are basically saying "I'm so important that I need to post in every thread, and this repetition is taking me away from spreading my knowledge and wisdom in more useful places."  Is it so hard to just move on to another thread? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

The Rules and Etiquette section is the biggest offender, but there does seem to be an empowering of people who feel the need to post "another thread about this?"  The poster doesn't realize they are basically saying "I'm so important that I need to post in every thread, and this repetition is taking me away from spreading my knowledge and wisdom in more useful places."  Is it so hard to just move on to another thread? 

100% true!  Over the years there have been many threads where a rule was criticized and the poster may have even offered an improvement.  The response from the usual suspects was often condescending and snarky.  But when the USGA comes out with a series of improvements, it's like they've seen the face of God.🤣  

With that said, there's a couple guys that are really  good and generally not pompous.                                                                                                                      

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

You've nailed it! Some how they think that if they've commented on a subject years or months ago .......it should not be revisited. Why? Because they say so......LOL! One or two of them feel that they should comment on every thread, they can't help themselves. You get attacked by the main leader, then his disciples  pile on to wreck the threads that they think is undeserving for WRX forums. I'd like to think that the moderators are not enablers......

• Like 1

Was just over in the instruction forum.  Occurred to me that at one point you had several instructors or various levels of reknown contributing.  Nowadays that number is quite miniscule.  I believe i had heard some rumors about some getting their posts deleted due to not being "sponsors", while others were allowed to carry on without being sponsors.  I always wondered how much the instruction forum "contributes" to the site.

33 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I saw those too. Now we just need DavePelz4 to be around a little bit more. At least PepperTurbo continues to amuse, amaze, and delight us!😀

I think Mrs. Pelz, whose beauty staggers the imagination, must be plying him with wine after his hard days at work the past many months!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I mean for me I just find the Refuge to be a better board, but with them adding a pay wall I'll be moving over to GolfTalk primarily.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

On a side note, I remember a thread by a gentleman who had purchased some golf tees online and he posted photos as he wanted to know if they were counterfeit or not. 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:03 AM, wobgon said:

Pretty sure this forum will never be close to what it used to be.....Kind of depressing to think back to the old days.

Remember Thrillhouse, just to name one? Maybe size has something  to do with it? This place has gone from a small town to a major city so change is inevitable. Despite its draw backs (I think sometimes the mods can be a bit heavy-handed, even though they have a difficult job), it's still the best golf forum on the internet, and given the size of the internet that is saying something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sean2 said:

On a side note, I remember a thread by a gentleman who had purchased some golf tees online and he posted photos as he wanted to know if they were counterfeit or not. 

Remember Thrillhouse, just to name one? Maybe size has something  to do with it? This place has gone from a small town to a major city so change is inevitable. Despite its draw backs (I think sometimes the mods can be a bit heavy-handed, even though they have a difficult job), it's still the best golf forum on the internet, and given the size of the internet that is saying something.

Yeah Thrillhouse was a trip

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

4 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

So true, Fergie is a classic......I just wish he wasn’t such a Phil fanboi!!😀

I just chalk that up to Fergie being Fergie

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yeah Thrillhouse was a trip

TBH don't remember much about @Thrillhouse but I do recognize the name.

Seems to have not posted in a bit over 3 years but it seems as though he peeks in from time-to-time though.

Maybe he'll stop in and say "Hi" ? 51683a_c2f3f9efec304733bca1337b57bbd1d3~

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I only went one page in on this thread but here's my two cents...

I browse 4 golf message boards, one of which I participate in almost every day (not this one). Each site has it's own personality, and when I describe my opinion of each, you'll know exactly which ones I'm talking about.

Site A. Probably the smallest of the 4, because the owner is insufferable and injects his opinion on almost every topic. Disagree with it, and he and his minions get very nasty.

Site B. Probably the second or third in size, this site is so pro Callaway (or whatever other OEM might be giving away trips, equipment) it is sickening.  Their staff reviews are more about the writer's humble brags both distance and shaft wise than they are helpful to anyone.

Site C. Again, maybe second or third in size, but growing thanks to the excellent testing and reviews they do. This site also is the most welcoming to the average golfer. The range of skill amongst the members runs the gamut, but the better players never look down on the lesser ones.

Site D. The biggest, but the one with the worst reputation. It's the place where if you don't play an X flex shaft and hit your drives 320 yards, your opinion is mocked. I'm sure more than half the board plays regular and stiff flex clubs, but is ashamed to admit it. Either that, or every blade, 195 yard 7 iron player in the world resides there.

The forums there are more hostile than anywhere else , but the articles, reviews and Tour WITB section are great.

Each one is different, and with the exception of site A, each bring something positive to the reader. Only one of them is a place where I like to open up and talk about myself and my game though.

• Like 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 12/16/2020 at 7:24 AM, Hstead said:

One of the all time classic threads was a guy talking about hitting PW from 150 yards.  @MonteScheinblum  proceeds to Monte and try to explain to him that it is not smart golf to hit PW 150 yards.

The guy then, clueless to whom Monte is (ie National Long Drive Champ), berates him and starts belittling him "because you can't hit your PW 150" doesn't mean blah blah blah.  I was rolling on the floor.  I proceed to jump in and take the clueless dudes side and start making fun of Monte for being jealous since he couldn't hit his PW 150.

So if you ever see me in a thread reminding Monte he can't even hit PW from 150, that was the origin.  It was awesome.

I remember being peripherally involved (aka watching) in something like that involving a long drive competitor (either James Lewis or Sean Fister, don't remember which anymore), who'd come into the GEA chat in Ye Olde Days, having been invited by another member.  During random chatter, he made reference to hitting his sand wedge X distance, and someone in the chat (not in on the identity of long drive chatter) got all over him, similar to what you describe above.  

Giving some credit, the guy who raised the fuss was genuinely embarrassed once he learned who it was he was ripping on.  Such as I remember.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 11/25/2020 at 6:22 AM, chipa said:

I've been a member of a few forums over the years and things there come and go as new members join and older ones leave.

I see the real challenge for forums is for moderators to keep thing is check w/o banning productive members for inconsequential stuff. The problem arises is that moderators generally are volunteers with very little free time and as a rule have very little patience with what they seem as insubordinate behavior even though the offending poster may have not really crossed the line.

Yup. The moderation on here is pretty bad. And the forum upgrade killed lots of members off. Not to mention the silly BST.

Those two things were and are REALLY bad for the forum.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS