Dead Hybrid?

I was just wondering if hybrids can loose their pop over time and if anyone has experienced this? I have one of the original Cleveland Launcher hybrids which I believe debuted in 2006. It used to be my solid 190-200 yard club. This year I've noticed a 10-15 yard loss on strikes that I would consider very solid. What was once a 3 iron replacement now goes the same distance as my 5 iron. The obvious answer is to hop on a launch monitor and look at it's efficiency but I don't have easy access to one in my city and I don't have a baseline from when I purchased the club. I've heard of drivers loosing ball speed over time but never a hybrid. It was a nice 14 year run but It's time to put the Launcher out to pasture.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can speculate all you want, but it's difficult to tell much without a launch monitor. If you have a golf shop of any size in your area, they will rent you a hitting for a half hour if no one has a

First thing I’d check would be ball position.   As far as your swing improving and adding dynamic loft? Usually it’s the opposite if your swing improves you decrease loft. 

I've cracked a few drivers over the years, and I hit it pretty far but nowhere near WRX levels. I've noticed the performance drop-off before any visible failure was obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if

Looks and feels the same. I can't see any cracks and the face appears to be fine. The only thing I can think of is the shaft being a bad fit since my swing has improved over the years. Perhaps it's adding dynamic loft and spinning way too much but the flight doesn't appear to balloon. I actually prefer the super high trajectory.

Now that I think about it, I doubt I've struck anywhere near enough times to reach failure.

You can speculate all you want, but it's difficult to tell much without a launch monitor. If you have a golf shop of any size in your area, they will rent you a hitting for a half hour if no one has a fitting at the time.

Sometimes early Saturday morning or Tuesday or Thursday evening (often slow) will work.

The idea of "losing pop"  doesn't tell us much. Physical possibilities: the head had cumulative internal damage, or the shaft may have an internal crack.

Or.....

2 hours ago, Colej said:

First thing I’d check would be ball

position.

As far as your swing improving and adding dynamic loft? Usually it’s the opposite if your swing improves you decrease loft.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

I've cracked a few drivers over the years, and I hit it pretty far but nowhere near WRX levels. I've noticed the performance drop-off before any visible failure was obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where you are. That said, I can also tell you that over the years my swing changed so a set of RP Rifle Flighted shafts that I was fit into a long time ago no longer worked for me in the long irons. They got spinny and I lost a bunch of distance, but the ball never looked like it was ballooning. So, I've experienced both of the theories you've got here.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, ChipNRun said:

You can speculate all you want, but it's difficult to tell much without a launch monitor. If you have a golf shop of any size in your area, they will rent you a hitting for a half hour if no one has a fitting at the time.

Sometimes early Saturday morning or Tuesday or Thursday evening (often slow) will work.

The idea of "losing pop"  doesn't tell us much. Physical possibilities: the head had cumulative internal damage, or the shaft may have an internal crack.

Or.....

I agree on the launch monitor. It was more of a passing thought that I was curious about. It's slow here in California with the curfew and what not. I find myself posting a lot more of my random golf thoughts with all of this free time. The plan is to just pass the Cleveland on to my cousin who is just beginning and get a Mizzy CLK.

I bet it’s damaged.  Not good and proper as if you hit a tee marker with it but in a subtle non-abusive manner. 

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-4 setting Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Could it be that you're 14 years older? LOL

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra  Forged Tec Black SteelFiber i95cw R  
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12

This Week's Putter: Toulon Madison (plumbers neck)
 TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS/ ProV1