2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What irons have heavy head weights?

farris207

Through quite a bit of experimenting and some time on GC Quad I've found that I swing much better with heavier clubs. It eliminates my over the top, helps tempo, and sequencing. I know I can up the head weight/swing weight by adding brass tips to shafts, but this seems like a waste of what could be useful weight. Are there any brands out there that are known to be on the heavier end? I know Ping driver heads are some of the heaviest on the market. Is there anything like this for irons? I would prefer a forged head. My last three sets have been AP2s. 

PXG can add some heavy tungsten perimeter screw weights to their iron heads.  Ask to see what SW they can achieve for your length irons.

That coupled with heavier shafts should get you what you want.

You should experiment with lead tape first to determine just what weighting is preferrable, otherwise you will be guessing.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

56 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

You should experiment with lead tape first to determine just what weighting is preferrable, otherwise you will be guessing.

This. Adding tip weights is not the same balance wise as having heavier heads. I’ve tried. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, Htk084 said:

Great question, I’m interested too.  Also, how’d you know Ping had heavy driver heads?

And I wonder if irons size has a lot to do with size (ie cabity back being heavier than blade iron head)

I just did a fitting with CC and my fitter did say the ping g410 I got was one of the heaviest heads.

My P7MCs are easily the heftiest headed iron I can recall playing ... and I've had a lot. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Two ways to approach this.

If you like a particular iron model, contact the maker for the full manufacturing specs. Actual head weight up and down the iron set is usually omitted from basic marketing info. Callaway sent me full specs in 2011 when I switched over to X20 Tours.

Also, a local pro and clubfitter says that Callaway and Ping will put extra weight in the head area if you request it. This is popular with senior golfers who want lighter shafts in irons, but don't want to end up with C9 vs. D2 swingweights. Initial problem with lighter shafts: lowering of swingweight means you can't feel head at top, leads to overswing, etc.

2 hours ago, farris207 said:

I know I can up the head weight/swing weight by adding brass tips to shafts, but this seems like a waste of what could be useful weight.

I would suggest if the tip weights (within reason) help you feel the clubhead, and stay down on your shots, it would be useful.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

9 hours ago, Htk084 said:

Great question, I’m interested too.  Also, how’d you know Ping had heavy driver heads?

And I wonder if irons size has a lot to do with size (ie cavity back being heavier than blade iron head)

I've watched about every TXG video they have made, and Ian has mentioned it several times. I've also weight a few driver heads and Ping are the only ones I've found to be over 200g stock.

9 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

PXG can add some heavy tungsten perimeter screw weights to their iron heads.  Ask to see what SW they can achieve for your length irons.

That coupled with heavier shafts should get you what you want.

PXG was the first to come to mind. I would have to be looking at the second generation clubs due to the cost. Trying to figure out what their model are. I'll be looking for something like an AP2. Do you know if they tend to be lower or higher spin heads? 

8 hours ago, Go Horns! said:

Miura. Ping also has weight ports in some of its irons so you can add weight.

I love the look of the TC201, but the cost puts it out of my price range. I would have to come across someone who to hook me up with a pretty good discount on a new, or even used set. If anyone has this ability please let me know!

8 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

This. Adding tip weights is not the same balance wise as having heavier heads. I’ve tried. 

Before I had a swing weight scale I did a bunch of messing around with lead tape. I then put those clubs on a scale and found D5-D7 to be a good range. I've built a D7 7 iron with a shaft tip and hit it wonderfully. I recently changed over to the Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 Midsize (65.5g) and this has thrown a wrench into things due to it's weight. Due to this I may be switching to a normal Tou Velvet (58 core is 51.5 or a midsize is 53g) and adding buildup tape. Not sure how much weight this will save over the +4 grip though. 

Playing Project X 7.0 shafts right now so already using a 130g shaft.  

For reference I was fit into my Driver at D9. I picked up 15 yards and saw my deliver change from 2.5 out to in into 1.5 in to out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Two ways to approach this.

If you like a particular iron model, contact the maker for the full manufacturing specs. Actual head weight up and down the iron set is usually omitted from basic marketing info. Callaway sent me full specs in 2011 when I switched over to X20 Tours.

Also, a local pro and clubfitter says that Callaway and Ping will put extra weight in the head area if you request it. This is popular with senior golfers who want lighter shafts in irons, but don't want to end up with C9 vs. D2 swingweights. Initial problem with lighter shafts: lowering of swingweight means you can't feel head at top, leads to overswing, etc.

I would suggest if the tip weights (within reason) help you feel the clubhead, and stay down on your shots, it would be useful.

I didn't realize the manufacturers could add more weight to irons. Do they just pull heads that came out being heavier, or do they have a way to actually add extra weight to the head? I know the new Callaway irons would make it very easy with the weight on the back of the X Forged CB. It looks like the Ping Irons would be pretty easy to adjust with the weight in the toe. I've played Ping irons in the past and really liked them. The Blueprint's look amazing, but they don't appear to be the most forgiving. The G410s have more offset than I would prefer. The I210s look to be the best fit for me, but don't have the toe weight. 

Edited by farris207

I do realize that the OP wants a recent model and forged but I can tell you from my stash in my basement that my Titleist 990s have the heaviest heads I've ever felt in my 20 years of playing the game.

I also think that heavy heads won't fix your over the top swing, even if you're swinging a slegehammer.  Take lessons.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I play all my stuff D7-E3.   My 919T right now runs d8.5 in 6i and goes to E0 in PW, the wedges are E1 to E3

I like the weights to progress up a little as the clubs get shorter.  Now I play 1” over in shorter clubs so it makes it easier (less long in longer clubs by not following a true 1/2” progression between irons)

Mizuno sorts iron heads heavy and light.  I think Callaway has heavy sets as well and actually marks them H on the hosel

If you like slightly over length you can ask them to build with the heavier heads

Ping g400 for wood and hybrids are great because you can start with a heavy head and then put in even heavier backweights .. I have a bunch of extras in 10,13 and 16g

Easiest thing is ...  to fall in love with lead tape

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

13 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

I do realize that the OP wants a recent model and forged but I can tell you from my stash in my basement that my Titleist 990s have the heaviest heads I've ever felt in my 20 years of playing the game.

I also think that heavy heads won't fix your over the top swing, even if you're swinging a slegehammer.  Take lessons.

I shoot in the 70s so I do have a decent swing. The weight absolutely did change my delivery as I previously stated. I saw it change on GC Quad as we added more weight to my clubs. It changed my delivery by 3-4 degrees, which is all I needed. 

Edited by farris207

10 hours ago, farris207 said:

Through quite a bit of experimenting and some time on GC Quad I've found that I swing much better with heavier clubs. It eliminates my over the top, helps tempo, and sequencing. I know I can up the head weight/swing weight by adding brass tips to shafts, but this seems like a waste of what could be useful weight. Are there any brands out there that are known to be on the heavier end? I know Ping driver heads are some of the heaviest on the market. Is there anything like this for irons? I would prefer a forged head. My last three sets have been AP2s. 

One old golf professional suggested me to add lead tapes only in wedges to feel their heads more and improve contact.

11 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I play all my stuff D7-E3.   My 919T right now runs d8.5 in 6i and goes to E0 in PW, the wedges are E1 to E3

I like the weights to progress up a little as the clubs get shorter.  Now I play 1” over in shorter clubs so it makes it easier (less long in longer clubs by not following a true 1/2” progression between irons)

Mizuno sorts iron heads heavy and light.  I think Callaway has heavy sets as well and actually marks them H on the hosel

If you like slightly over length you can ask them to build with the heavier heads

Ping g400 for wood and hybrids are great because you can start with a heavy head and then put in even heavier backweights .. I have a bunch of extras in 10,13 and 16g

Easiest thing is ...  to fall in love with lead tape

I play 1/4" over standard. It has helped to get the swing weight up. For whatever reason Mizuno irons have never agreed with me no matter how much I would like to play a set. I'll look more into Callaway.

3 minutes ago, farris207 said:

I shoot in the 70s so I do have a decent swing. The weight absolutely did change my delivery as I previously stated. I saw it change on GC Quad as we added more weight to my clubs. It changed my delivery by 3-4 degrees, which is all I needed. 

Do you normally fade with your driver?

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

14 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Do you normally fade with your driver?

Yes. I play a push fade with all of my shots. I have the ability to hit a draw. This post is not to debate my ability to swing a golf club. I have seen objective proof that I benefit from heavier clubs. This was posted before your generic response of "take lessons." If you don't have anything of benefit to add, then please move along.

Edited by farris207

1 hour ago, farris207 said:

PXG was the first to come to mind. I would have to be looking at the second generation clubs due to the cost. Trying to figure out what their model are. I'll be looking for something like an AP2. Do you know if they tend to be lower or higher spin heads? 

I have used all three Gens of the PXG irons.  Look at the 0311P GEN2 for the players mid spin head.  You will need to have PXG install the tungsten screw weights to obtain the swingweight of your choice and of course look at use a heavy type shaft, ie DG S300, etc.

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

I have used all three Gens of the PXG irons.  Look at the 0311P GEN2 for the players mid spin head.  You will need to have PXG install the tungsten screw weights to obtain the swingweight of your choice and of course look at use a heavy type shaft, ie DG S300, etc.

Thank you! I'll go check out their website again now that I have a bit of a direction to look. 

55 minutes ago, farris207 said:

Before I had a swing weight scale I did a bunch of messing around with lead tape. I then put those clubs on a scale and found D5-D7 to be a good range. I've built a D7 7 iron with a shaft tip and hit it wonderfully. I recently changed over to the Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 Midsize (65.5g) and this has thrown a wrench into things due to it's weight. Due to this I may be switching to a normal Tou Velvet (58 core is 51.5 or a midsize is 53g) and adding buildup tape. Not sure how much weight this will save over the +4 grip though. 

Playing Project X 7.0 shafts right now so already using a 130g shaft.  

For reference I was fit into my Driver at D9. I picked up 15 yards and saw my deliver change from 2.5 out to in into 1.5 in to out.

The swingweight does not change due to midsize grips...it only changes the reading on the scale.

The SW scale is calibrated for standard 50g grips not midsize.  For each 5g increase in grip weight you will see the scale lower by 1SW.  A typical midsize of 65g should show about D2 for a D5 SW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

The swingweight does not change due to midsize grips...it only changes the reading on the scale.

The SW scale is calibrated for standard 50g grips not midsize.  For each 5g increase in grip weight you will see the scale lower by 1SW.  A typical midsize of 65g should show about D2 for a D5 SW.

Good to know. I'm not completely sold on the grip. I really like how it fits in my left hand, but is a touch big for my right. It fits in my left differently than when I've previously tried a standard midsized grip straight on. I think it is because of the lack of taper through the left hand, which I'll attempt to replicate. I'm probably going to try to make a Midsize match in the left hand, but a +2 in the right. 

you can of course have heavier swingweights with lighter shafts .. I am in 95g graphite in the irons and wedges right now, don't need the usual DG s200 or 300 or 400's .. just a thought

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

A swing weight scale is very helpful. When weight is added to the grip end the swing weight is reduced and the balance-feel of the club changes accordingly.

It is irrelevant whether a scale was calibrated for a 50 gram grip or a 30 gram grip or a 100 gram grip. What matters (to the player) is that the balance of the club changes when component inputs change (head weight or shaft length or shaft weight or grip weight). A club with a D2 swing weight absolutely has a different balance-feel when swung compared to a club with a D5 swing weight.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

25 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

A swing weight scale is very helpful. When weight is added to the grip end the swing weight is reduced and the balance-feel of the club changes accordingly.

It is irrelevant whether a scale was calibrated for a 50 gram grip or a 30 gram grip or a 100 gram grip. What matters (to the player) is that the balance of the club changes when component inputs change (head weight or shaft length or shaft weight or grip weight). A club with a D2 swing weight absolutely has a different balance-feel when swung compared to a club with a D5 swing weight.

Disagree, the feel of the club head does not change to any noticeable degree with a change in the grip weight.  Swingweight with a standard weight grip and then regrip with a midsize and the scale will change but the clubhead feel, ie SW will not.

Been there and done it many times.

Nessism .....3rd post

Edited by BirdieBob

1 minute ago, BirdieBob said:

Disagree, the feel of the club head does not change to any noticeable degree with a change in the grip weight.  Swingweight with a standard weight grip and then regrip with a midsize and the scale will change but the clubhead feel, ie SW will not.

Been there and done it many times.

Swing weight is not a measure of "feel of the club head" . SW is a measure of balance. That is , the balance of the club when swung..

"Feel of the club head" is a term usually use to describe impact sound.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter