Vokey Wedge Problems - Need Help

Jeffyr11

I have been playing my wedge set up for the past 10 years and having some real troubles with 50* wedge and filling the gaps.  

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

50/130 yards - Problem Child

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

No matter what I do with this club I hit it nearly the same distance as my 54*.  The loft and lies are correct, I check monthly.  I just can not understand it.  The goal is to be in the 140 range.

It spins more than any wedge on my bag so if I get remotely close to flying the yardage I want, it spins back 20 feet.  This is a big issue with this club for me.

If I play a cut and hold it off, it flies nowhere.

I have tried 2 - SM7 50* in hope that it might have been a defect or something but not the case.  Since I switched to the SM7 model, I have run into this issue and am debating switching but wanted to get some opinions first.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated.  

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Ventus Blue 9 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 50F/55S/60LBK | Project X 6.0

Taylor Made Spider Tour X Proto

Titleist Pro V1

32 minutes ago, Jeffyr11 said:

I have been playing my wedge set up for the past 10 years and having some real troubles with 50* wedge and filling the gaps.  

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

No matter what I do with this club I hit it nearly the same distance as my 54*.  The loft and lies are correct, I check monthly.  I just can not understand it.  The goal is to be in the 140 range.

It spins more than any wedge on my bag so if I get remotely close to flying the yardage I want, it spins back 20 feet.  This is a big issue with this club for me.

I have tried 2 - SM7 50* in hope that it might have been a defect or something but not the case.  Since I switched to the SM7 model, I have run into this issue and am debating switching but wanted to get some opinions first.

Thoughts?

That’s odd that you can’t get it to go 140, maybe it just has sharper grooves due to lack of use?

you could go 56 and 60 wedges and have your gaps from there? Hit the pw 140? Or just drop a wedge. 

could also move to set wedges in pw and gw to lower spin... 

basically it sounds like your wedge is generating too much spin on full swings and it’s causing the issues you have... either wear it down in the bunker or switch to a less spinny wedge.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

That’s odd that you can’t get it to go 140, maybe it just has sharper grooves due to lack of use?

you could go 56 and 60 wedges and have your gaps from there? Hit the pw 140? Or just drop a wedge. 

could also move to set wedges in pw and gw to lower spin... 

basically it sounds like your wedge is generating too much spin on full swings and it’s causing the issues you have... either wear it down in the bunker or switch to a less spinny wedge.

It is strange because the PW still flies like it should.  Does it spin a little more than the stock, yes, but I can still hit the yardage that I am looking for.  

Titleist Pro V1

Have you had the lofts & lies checked?? 

Make sure they're actually at 50 & 54 as clubs aren't always perfect from the factory & will change over time through use.

I'm going to have to edit this as I've just re read your post and seen you check your lofts and lies monthly - apologies, I've just come off of night shifts and have some brain fog going on!!

Maybe its not a problem that needs solving, you can take one of your wedges out the bag as they're essentially the same club and it frees up a bit of room for something else?

Edited by Jimjam651
Misread post

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

1 hour ago, Jeffyr11 said:

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

Thoughts?

What shafts are you playing? I have a similar issue with s400 in my 50 degree so I will be matching my gap wedge to my irons and putting a project x LS 6.5 in my zip core 50 degree, I’ll keep the s400 In my 54 and 58

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jimjam651 said:

Have you had the lofts & lies checked?? 

Make sure they're actually at 50 & 54 as clubs aren't always perfect from the factory & will change over time through use.

I'm going to have to edit this as I've just re read your post and seen you check your lofts and lies monthly - apologies, I've just come off of night shifts and have some brain fog going on!!

Maybe its not a problem that needs solving, you can take one of your wedges out the bag as they're essentially the same club and it frees up a bit of room for something else?

I have been thinking this route as well.  The top of my bag is pretty well spaced out where I want it.  I would probably only be looking to add a 64* wedge but not sure that is the best route

Edited by Jeffyr11

Titleist Pro V1

9 minutes ago, Rpete33 said:

What shafts are you playing? I have a similar issue with s400 in my 50 degree so I will be matching my gap wedge to my irons and putting a project x LS 6.5 in my zip core 50 degree, I’ll keep the s400 In my 54 and 58

I have KBS Tour V 125 in my 50 and 54.  My wedges is KBS Tour Black X.  

I just had the shafts put in a couple months ago to see if it would help but does not seem to be doing the trick.

Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, Jeffyr11 said:

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

Thoughts?

Strengthen the loft, move the ball forward in the stance for less spin. Is it the same shaft as others? Check the shaft's CPM's, you may have a bad shaft -- Lengthen that shaft length slightly.

140? You are fast. Good luck.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

@Jeffyr11

Is the gap from the 9i to PW consistent? If so then I'd look into changing the 50 to a 48*.

I've fought with this for the past 5-10 years and instead of going simply by what the lofts imply I changed equipment to fit the lofts, and it's worked much better. Went to a stronger wedge that didn't fit the proper loft gapping, but it tightened my distance gaps. For some reason what should work out on paper doesn't for me in this scenario.

• Like 1

I had this problem until I just suddenly stopped paying attention the the stated loft. I pay a lot of attention to carry distance and it took a lot of time with the VoiceCaddie to get dialed in. I’d consider going 1-2* strong on the 50* to see if the results change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffyr11 said:

It is strange because the PW still flies like it should.  Does it spin a little more than the stock, yes, but I can still hit the yardage that I am looking for.  

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day you have to decide if you want to fix the issue on the technical side or the equipment side...

technical side you’d need to get into a good launch monitor and track the differences in spin and launch between clubs... I’d have some concerns about doing this on mats, but you can make it work...

equipment side, bend it to 48 degrees and see what happens... less loft should lower spin and launch... or hit 30-40 sand shots with it and see how the spin changes!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 hours ago, Jeffyr11 said:

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

Thoughts?

From what I can see, the 50º is not the problem.  The problem is the 54º.  I would ditch it for a 56º and get it closer to your 58º for yardage.  It matters not what the number is, but more what the yardage is.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

36 minutes ago, Socrates said:

From what I can see, the 50º is not the problem.  The problem is the 54º.  I would ditch it for a 56º and get it closer to your 58º for yardage.  It matters not what the number is, but more what the yardage is.

I agree with this. 54 is your trouble not 50

You have 20 yd gap between 46 and 50.

Another 20 yd gap between 54 and 58. I would assume you are working off 20 yd gaps between irons.

4 degrees resulting in 20 yds seems a little high. As I hit my 58 about 100 and my 54 about 112 and my 50 about 128 and PW around 142. My driver swing is about 105-110 for comparison. So either you are really fast or delofting your wedges a lot.

Usual rule of thumb is 3-4 yds per degree of loft.

What are your 8 and 9 iron distances?

Edited by Matt614

I read this thread this morning; I was thinking about it again reading the replies.

For me I would say the problem is two things - your 54* and how you hit your wedges.

For me - 

I hit my 46* full out once in a blue moon, 1 time I can think of in my last 4 rounds.

I hit my 50* full out once every 2 blue moons, not once in my last 4 rounds.

I hit my 55* never full out

I hit my 60* never full out.

In my wedge fitting 56* was better in the bunker over my normal 54*, playing with flighted 3/4 shots I was hitting the same distance with a 54* and 56* so we went happy medium. 

I hit a 60* at a 120 flag the other week for about 10 shots, don't think I made it right there but I did get close but again I would not hit it past 90 unless a strong wind behind on the course. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

49 minutes ago, Matt614 said:

I agree with this. 54 is your trouble not 50

You have 20 yd gap between 46 and 50.

Another 20 yd gap between 54 and 58. I would assume you are working off 20 yd gaps between irons.

4 degrees resulting in 20 yds seems a little high. As I hit my 58 about 100 and my 54 about 112 and my 50 about 128 and PW around 142. My driver swing is about 105-110 for comparison. So either you are really fast or delofting your wedges a lot.

Usual rule of thumb is 3-4 yds per degree of loft.

What are your 8 and 9 iron distances?

I have 15 yard gaps, roughly on my irons.

5- 220

6- 205

7- 190

8- 175

9- 165

P- 150

Also part that I did not mention, I am in Denver.  So the ball does carry here and why my yardages are higher.  I am in the 120 range with my driver.

Titleist Pro V1

I am leaning towards strengthening the 50* a degree and weakening the 54* to fill the gaps.

I appreciate all the feedback, thank you.

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Skhacker said:

Get rid of the 50 and bend the 54 to 52.  

I was going to post this until I got down to it.  I would love to be able to drop my 50 but I'm not comfortable playing 52-58 or 60 because I use my 55 a lot.  I would look at the top of your bag and see if adding something up there would help you out because I think you could pull off the DJ wedge setup and just use a 52 and a 58 or 60.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhlashPhace said:

I was going to post this until I got down to it.  I would love to be able to drop my 50 but I'm not comfortable playing 52-58 or 60 because I use my 55 a lot.  I would look at the top of your bag and see if adding something up there would help you out because I think you could pull off the DJ wedge setup and just use a 52 and a 58 or 60.

More pros use a 2 wedge (plus pw) set up than most people think. Ideally you can have your iron lofts tweaked to get the loft and bounce you want to be able to gap properly. I prefer the two wedge setup because I get more practice and creativity with them that way, and I never find myself in between guessing which one to use. It’s a confidence booster and has greatly improved my short game. 

57 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

More pros use a 2 wedge (plus pw) set up than most people think. Ideally you can have your iron lofts tweaked to get the loft and bounce you want to be able to gap properly. I prefer the two wedge setup because I get more practice and creativity with them that way, and I never find myself in between guessing which one to use. It’s a confidence booster and has greatly improved my short game. 

That's another plus.  I've always tried to keep it simple around the greens but there is more temptation when you have 4 wedges rather than three...

3 hours ago, Skhacker said:

I agree, the 2 wedges would be the simple route.  It just seems like whenever I try to fill up top, the club just sits and I end up not using it.  The reason that I try to fill gaps on the bottom because I would rather have options when needed then add a 5 wood I hit once every 5 rounds.  

Titleist Pro V1

Can you dial your PW swing back to take 10 yards off to fill that 140 yardage?  If the 50 is your problem (you don't like using it) maybe just drop it all together and dial the PW back from time to time when you need that yardage.  150 is a dang good PW.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

You can try the following set up:

PW, 52* and 58*

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

The gapping issue is the 54.  Your yardages are very similar to mine.. 

You have a 20 yard gap from 58 to 54 (105-125)... if your 58 is going 105 then your 54 should be going no more than 120 >>> 50 should be going 135 >>> 46 should be 150.  I personally play 46-50-55-60 (150-135-120-105).  I would mess with the loft of the 54 until you hit it 120 and make sure the lie isn’t too flat on the 50 or the toe could be digging causing high short right miss..  

another thing to check is the swing weight of the 50 compared to the others. I had to add quite a bit of lead tape to my 50 Vokey to make it “feel” the same as my 55 & 60.  

• Like 1

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, Jeffyr11 said:

Current Setup / Yardage

46/150 yards

54/ 125 yards

58/105 yards

Thoughts?

What is your divot profile on the 50?  I have seen a guys at my club that have similar issues.  It all boils down to something like a steeper angle of attack on that club than the others and thus increasing spin loft.  Increased spin loft is what you seem to have with short shots and spinning back too much.  You can check out a trackman spin loft explanation and see if that helps.  

On 11/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, Socrates said:

From what I can see, the 50º is not the problem.  The problem is the 54º.  I would ditch it for a 56º...

Back in  2018, I was looking for new wedges. My Callaway PW was 46*, and I was open to suggestions. Went to a Titleist Thursday and tried out some SM7s.

For wedge mix, I got the best gapping with 50*, 56* and 60*. For some reason the 54* was only about eight yards shorter than 50*.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |