BEST shot you have ever hit

2bGood

51 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Was a part 4 dogleg left that was 420 to the hole. I split 2 trees to cut the corner and put it 8 feet from the hole with my 5 wood. Guess it was about 250. Didn't see it until we rounded the corner. I was 17 at the time. Still waiting to top that shot. 🤣

We have a hole just like that at my old course

Goes straight out 270 and doglegs 90* for 50 yards to a green hidden by a grove of 80 foot trees, they used to have a scrub garden under them but it was converted to wood mulch .. which made it a green light if it wasn't  stroke play day

One day in 2002, playing with suppliers, straight down fan after heavy rains, pin buried pin way right, I mashed my 5w and we get around the corner and like you I was 6" behind the hole with a ball mark 3' from the stick

Nearly an albatross on a par 4 !

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I would probably consider my 2nd hole in one my best shot over at El Caballero CC, 16th hole, May 2009.  There's a big BUT.....  Nobody was witness to it, so maybe it doesn't count?  Anyways, the hole was playing 175 that day and it was a calm day.  Back pin location towards the middle.  I flush an 8 iron and it draws 10 yards.  It hits just right of the flag bounces once and disappears.  I can't see where it ended up because there is a big bunker in front of the green and blocks my view.  I drive up and walk towards the green.  I don't see anything.  My first reaction was that the ball might have hit the green and rolled into the rough.  I always head towards the pin first when I think I hit a good shot and it's towards the pin before walking to the rough.  Low and behold the ball is lodged in the bottom of the cup.  Best shot ever.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Hole in one on my 61st birthday February 6, 2019.  Seventeen at Sienna Plantation Golf Club, Missouri City, TX.  Mizuno JPX 900 7 iron, 144 yards. Maybe not my best shot but certainly the most memorable.

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars
  • Like 4

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

The life changing shot for me was the university event I won way back in 1992.  I was the first alternate the year before on the team.  5 guys play and 4 scores count.  So I was 6th and travelled in 1991 (players 7-10 stayed home)

Anyways, opening event of the season in '92, I'm part of the core 5 now as my qualifying rounds were en fuego, I was 4 over or so bumbling along and came to a par 5 on the back, the 13th

Managed to get on the front fringe with a blistered 3 wood somehow, and I sucked with 3 woods off the deck back then, and then make the 20 footer for eagle.   I'd likely shaken off the hangover from the night before ... this was how it was done back then.  (I recall half topping my drive down 1, and then making a 20 footer for bogey somehow).   The next 5 holes, 14 to 18, are a blur.  I made 4 birdies and a bogey (with an elite punch out) and managed to win the event.  One of the birdies I kid you not, slightly ricocheted off the edge of another player's coin !

My confidence rocketed after that, played really solid all season, and we had a heck of a year.  We end up winning every event that Fall including the pressure packed finals (where my score, for the first time all season, didn't count day 1) and getting our golf team into the Athletics Hall of Fame in 2006, 14 years later 

Good lord, I could putt the lights out with my Wilson 8813 back then.  I can still remember my teammates on 18 all around the green and I had stuck a PW to 7 feet, the Captain came up to me and said we know you're making it so I poured it in fearlessly and won the darn thing.   Memory lane, thanks for listening to an old guy

• Like 3

EvnRoll ER9

The BEST shot i've ever hit regardless of circumstance was a 215yd fairway bunker shot at a course called "le diable" in Quebec. There were overhanging trees so i had to play essentially a 20-30 yard draw, out of a fairway bunker, from 215yds. So a pretty easy shot LOL....I hit it to 5 feet with a 4 iron

Best shot considering circumstances was in an interclub match about 10 years ago. I was playing in the final group , me and my opponent were the last 2 people on the course and we were tied on the 17th tee in our match, and our teams were tied for overall lead in the event. It was a 165yd par 3 and there were probably 250 people around the green watching, he had honors and hit it to about 30 feet. I hit a 9 iron that landed about an inch from the hole, hit the flag, and settled so close to the hole i could've blown it in. There was a huge ovation....probably the best i've ever felt on a golf course. 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Darn it, I have two and if you don't want to read about them skip this post!

1.  Visiting the folks in Palm Desert 9-10 years ago when they still made the winter pilgrimage, our local pro had graciously set up a couple sessions for my daughter who was still in high school with the pro at Arnie's Tradition in La Quinta (Judy Furst, and she was awesome).  Second day she had invited my daughter and me, and my dad as well, to play the par 3 course partially just off Arnie's back door after her lesson.  At some point I'm in a very deep bunker, pin tight to the side of the green near the bunker and I'm looking up above my head, lol.  Thought it would be impossible to get it on ------ hit it close and made the putt! Still remember it!

2.  We are on 17 at St. Andrews in spring of '18.  I know, because I can't help it, I need to finish +1 overall on 17 and 18 to break 80.  I'm having a truly magical day. I'm way left on my drive on 17, hit my long approach into the wind short left and have about 40 yards or so to the flag which is directly over and close to the Road Bunker.  I hit the best using the bounce Monte Scheinblum taught 60 degree wedge ever, it lands just over the sand in the Road Bunker on the top of the mound and . . . . then starts rolling down.  I can't see it, but my youngest daughter and my caddie are there and for a second their excited reaction has me thinking I've holed it and then that "aaaaaghhhh" as it apparently grazes the cup and rolls by to within inches.  Par!!!  I'm so emboldened by this, haha, I hit a weak fade on 18, my daughter outdrives me by a ways, am trembling as I hit an 8 iron on but about 15 feet right of the pin, totally disregard my caddie's advice (and he reminded me at least twice because well he'd been with me for 4 hours and knew I needed to be told at least twice - "three quarters" he said, just hit it "three quarters" because it is more downhill than it looks), so I hit it about 12 feet by because I thought I had it read and was making birdie, lol, and two putt from there for the bogey, so all's well, but my first four shots were total crap and worst I played a hole all day from a focus standpoint, but hey - 79 and with my wife and two daughters - great morning for all of us.

Great family memories just before Thanksgiving!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Gamble Sands.  Few years ago on beautiful summer day.  I'm going into the 18th hole 3 over par so playing pretty darned good being the first time I've seen the course.  

18th tee.  Rip my drive followed by a solid 3 wood to the left green side bunker leaving me about a 20 yard bunker shot.  I proceed to absolutely guillotine blade my wedge,  line drive towards some folks having lunch on the patio yelling fore top of my lungs but the ball thankfully stopped short of the folks who barely noticed as they leaned into their sandwiches.   I apologetically approached the patio while simultaneously wondering if I could salvage par.  Arriving at my ball at the patio,  it dawned on me might be a good idea to ask the server gal to reserve a table for my group.   She obliged,  and it turned out to be a good thing,  since as we were in the lot stashing our gear we noticed a huge group of well dressed folks going into the restaurant.  Like to think my possible life threatening blade shot aided our group in eating/exiting quickly since it was a long drive home.

Like some jackal once said,  never let a crisis go to waste.

• Like 3

I have 3 that I will never forget: 

1.) 330 yard par 4 with the wind from 3:30 about 60km/h. Aimed 50 yards right (which was into a parking lot) and smashed a high driver that landed on the front of the green and ended up wedged between the flag and the green right on the front edge of the hole (idiots in front didn't replace the pin properly). Should have been a hole in one but ended up being an eagle from 2mm. 

2.) 40 yard bunker shot with the ball plugged under the front lip. Front knee down on the lip of the bunker and the most speed I could possibly muster. Hit a high cut to 5-6 feet and made the putt.

3.) Same hole as 2.)! Caught an unlucky cart path bounce off a pulled approach shot and ended up with a 45 yard shot with a 20 foot high tree 6 feet in front of me. Full swing flop that cleared the tree and bounced once before going in the hole! Incidentally, this was also to win a four-ball match play event. Guys on the other team were speechless. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 3

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, Steele47 said:

Gamble Sands.  Few years ago on beautiful summer day.  I'm going into the 18th hole 3 over par so playing pretty darned good being the first time I've seen the course.  

18th tee.  Rip my drive followed by a solid 3 wood to the left green side bunker leaving me about a 20 yard bunker shot.  I proceed to absolutely guillotine blade my wedge,  line drive towards some folks having lunch on the patio yelling fore top of my lungs but the ball thankfully stopped short of the folks who barely noticed as they leaned into their sandwiches.   I apologetically approached the patio while simultaneously wondering if I could salvage par.  Arriving at my ball at the patio,  it dawned on me might be a good idea to ask the server gal to reserve a table for my group.   She obliged,  and it turned out to be a good thing,  since as we were in the lot stashing our gear we noticed a huge group of well dressed folks going into the restaurant.  Like to think my possible life threatening blade shot aided our group in eating/exiting quickly since it was a long drive home.

Like some jackal once said,  never let a crisis go to waste.

You win sir 🤣

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Second hole at Cheshunt public course, Herts. It’s a little over 300 but pond and river in front of the green. The carry is not in my wheelhouse.

There is, however, a footbridge about 5 feet wide. I called it to my group before I hit it, couple of bounces over it to finish pin high.

ps still made a 5..

• Like 2

Perhaps not my best shot, but my most meaningful. Playing a team match play event and on the 21st hole of the championship match. My partner and I were in our late 50s playing a team in their early 20s, and who were outdriving us by 60 yards. 

My partner was out of the hole and I needed to get up and down from 25 yards, from a gnarly lie to a tough pin to keep the match going. I made the up and down, and we went on to win on the 22nd hole. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Second hole at Cheshunt public course, Herts. It’s a little over 300 but pond and river in front of the green. The carry is not in my wheelhouse.

There is, however, a footbridge about 5 feet wide. I called it to my group before I hit it, couple of bounces over it to finish pin high.

ps still made a 5..

the good old nice drive, nice 5 scenario

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

Just one shot? lol 

Ok, it has to be this. 

Last hole, a par 3 where I hit out of the bunker and I have a putt for par. I was playing a Ryder Cup style match play. We were all square. Since it was the last hole at the 18th, a lot of people were already finished and watching our match. They asked me what our standing was. I told them all square. My opponent also has a putt for par from 10 feet. 

My putt was 15 footer, left to right, a bit downhill. 

I was imagining Tiger's putt at Bay Hill. I kept telling myself, please sink this. This would be an amazing putt if I did. In front of all these people. I always dreamed of a moment like this when I was a kid. This could be the closest thing to that dream.

I did my psr and putted. I still vividly remember, the ball started on a very good line, tracking, tracking, a gently rolled in the hole. 

There was a slight black out moment after. People were shouting, teammates celebrating. I was pumped. Never have I been so pumped up over a putt. lol It was an amazing feeling. Like I won a PGA event. 

Then when everything settled down. My opponent proceeded to hit his putt. He missed his by an inch! I ended up winning the match by 1. Though our team did not win. For me it was the best shot of my life. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Darn it, I have two and if you don't want to read about them skip this post!

1.  Visiting the folks in Palm Desert 9-10 years ago when they still made the winter pilgrimage, our local pro had graciously set up a couple sessions for my daughter who was still in high school with the pro at Arnie's Tradition in La Quinta (Judy Furst, and she was awesome).  Second day she had invited my daughter and me, and my dad as well, to play the par 3 course partially just off Arnie's back door after her lesson.  At some point I'm in a very deep bunker, pin tight to the side of the green near the bunker and I'm looking up above my head, lol.  Thought it would be impossible to get it on ------ hit it close and made the putt! Still remember it!

2.  We are on 17 at St. Andrews in spring of '18.  I know, because I can't help it, I need to finish +1 overall on 17 and 18 to break 80.  I'm having a truly magical day. I'm way left on my drive on 17, hit my long approach into the wind short left and have about 40 yards or so to the flag which is directly over and close to the Road Bunker.  I hit the best using the bounce Monte Scheinblum taught 60 degree wedge ever, it lands just over the sand in the Road Bunker on the top of the mound and . . . . then starts rolling down.  I can't see it, but my youngest daughter and my caddie are there and for a second their excited reaction has me thinking I've holed it and then that "aaaaaghhhh" as it apparently grazes the cup and rolls by to within inches.  Par!!!  I'm so emboldened by this, haha, I hit a weak fade on 18, my daughter outdrives me by a ways, am trembling as I hit an 8 iron on but about 15 feet right of the pin, totally disregard my caddie's advice (and he reminded me at least twice because well he'd been with me for 4 hours and knew I needed to be told at least twice - "three quarters" he said, just hit it "three quarters" because it is more downhill than it looks), so I hit it about 12 feet by because I thought I had it read and was making birdie, lol, and two putt from there for the bogey, so all's well, but my first four shots were total crap and worst I played a hole all day from a focus standpoint, but hey - 79 and with my wife and two daughters - great morning for all of us.

Great family memories just before Thanksgiving!

Reminds me of my time at the old course, hitting it over the 'O' on 17 was highlight shot for me. 

• Like 1

I have one shot that sticks out in memory, not because it was particularly great, but because of a quick trash talk exchange while it was in flight.

This was the last hole of a high school match, a par 5, and I had laid up to comfortable a 105 yards. The green has a pond in the front left, and a bunker on the right. In this horrible picture of the green, you can't see the bunker (it's behind the seated person/bags on the left) I was where the player is in the fairway on the left, but probably 40-50 yards further back on the other side of the path. The flag was located on that day about where it is in this picture, which is hidden in the super bright reflection of the pond.

IMG_5256.JPG.122e2863011118fba9c5000db4ea6844.JPG

Anyway we were playing this group with the other team's coach looking on. Not usual, not unusual. In an effort to avoid the pond at all costs, I hit a shot that went right. As it was climbing the other coach said, "Look's like that's in the bunker..." (The things teenagers take offense to) I took offense. My angle was slightly different and I could see the ball was going to miss the bunker by a few feet and land on the downslope and funnel towards the green. Being young and hotheaded I replied "I think I'm putting for birdie!"

The ball landed on the slope and gracefully bounced to the left, rolling across the green and settling 3 feet below the hole and leaving me a perfectly straight uphill birdie opportunity. I did a small club twirl, slammed the wedge down into the bag and walked up. Did not look at the other coach. I waited my turn and then confidently slammed home the birdie putt. Then, yes, I performed a stare-down walking off the green.

Looking back I was a dumb high school student getting wayyy too worked up over an average shot that got incredibly lucky. But at the time, when being a high school junior on a golf team seemed to be the epitome of life's goals and aspirations, and in nostalgic hindsight, it was a pretty cool moment and one of my only competition triumphs.

Edited by James the Hogan Fan
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, milesgiles said:

If I ever play it, I’ll be getting out a slightly scrubby ball for that tee shot 

The tee that day weas set up on the left, the three guys I was with were like Yeah! we don't have to hit that shot and I was like oh no - I WANT to try that shot. So my caddie allowed me to make an exception on that hole.

Par 5 12th, just under 500 yards and straight into a gale, driver, 1 iron to 3 feet  and two putts for birdie. Yes two putts, which leads me to my best ever shot.

If you ever wanted someone to putt for your life the last person you would pick would be me. However we once played a fourball better ball match in an important club competition.

It was a fabulous match with great golf and great scoring which was going down to the wire. Les and his partner had barely been up during the match but went one up on 17. On 18 they were on in regulation, we weren't. My partner chips on, just inside them but still 20 plus feet away, they putt, miss and we conceed the return. Now me to putt from 20 plus feet, the second best putt I ever hit never looked anything other than in. All square.

Up 19 Les's partner is out of it so there are 3 balls on the green, all in a perfectly straight line. Les is 30 feet away from the hole, my partner is about 20 feet away and I'm 15 feet away. They both putt and shave the hole, but miss. I have now had two perfect reads and it should be a formality but this is me, defying all the odds (gods) I did sink that 15 foot slightly right to left putt to win the match.

Sadly Les died of cancer a few years back, he really loved his golf. We were sat in the clubhouse after the match having a beer and he was very quiet. He had been working out their stableford score. It was 48 points and he couldn't believe they had lost the match. We took on all comers that year and won the comp.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I was playing in the Royal Navy Championships in about 1986 at Blackmoor Golf Club in Hampshire.  The 8th hole at Blackmoor is a dogleg right par 5. Down the right was OB behind a row of huge Beech trees. The trees overhung the fairway so much that the left side of the fairway was the only possible place to hit the ball.

Naturally, I hit it right and it came to rest a yard in bounds under the low hanging branches of the trees. I was faced with a shot of 230ish yards with a requirement to move it about 50 yards right around the corner. Naturally, I chose the safe option; a 1 iron punch shot off the back foot with the face wide open! It worked and the ball went off like a bullet 3 feet off the ground moving rapidly to the right. It finished 30 inches from the hole for a tap in eagle.

24 hours later I found myself in the same place and with the certain knowledge that I could do it again, armed myself with my one iron and shanked it straight out of bounds!!

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

I have 2 that stick out in my mind, yes I know OP said best shot but I want to share lol. 

First one is on the 4th hole at my home course, downhill dogleg right. I hit my drive into the fairway (yay) leaving myself about a 60 yd approach to a tucked front right pin. There isn't much trouble on the right side, just some thick rough including a little peninsula of rough to guard the green. I know that if I can land it past that rough the bounce and roll would suck back to the hole. I hit a 3/4 gap wedge that lands exactly where I wanted it to (another yay) and sure enough 1 bounce then starts rolling to the hole. Gentleman approaching the tee box on the adjacent 8th hole stops his cart and shouts at the ball to get in. It didn't but I'm so happy about that shot that I don't even remember sinking the birdie putt.

The next one is the approach shot for my lone, quite possibly only, eagle. Hole 7 is the lone par 5 on my home course, only 435 yards but 2nd half of hole is uphill to a small green.  There's a creek that has a 211 yard carry, I hit my drive to the left side of the fairway, thought I was flirting with the creek but it ended up being decent for me. I had 175~ yards to go to the hole, I figured f*%$ it and pulled my Adams XTD super hybrid and take an easy swing, hit a beautiful high, straight shot that ends up about 6 feet from a back right pin. Sink the putt for eagle and my playing partners and I celebrate.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

PUTT

Inter club event 2 Fall’s ago

I’m a member of a group of approx 50 clubs in Canada.  Thru the year you have two qualifiers against other teams to get to the national finals.  12 teams make it to the finals

It’s 5 players per club.  Plus a pro.  3 teams of two, net Stableford better ball.  So a great day is 120 points or 40 points avg per team.  It’s a big weekend event with meals and shootouts and celebrities etc

After 45 holes my club is tied with another so the format is a sudden death play off, 2 vs 2 .. no pro’s

Now keep in mind I lost this exact playoff two years earlier and now my partner has changed courses and is one of the guys that beat me in the last playoff.

Playoff on the par 3 course.  First hole is a 100 yard downhiller basically off the back patio.   50 guys and 12 pro’s watching. We go first and it is not good.  I thin a 60 degree to the back fringe and my partner slight chunks one 30 feet short. Our opponents have 8 feet uphill (the tee shot almost spun back in for a 1) and a 10 footer downhill

We putt first.  I somehow make a 40 foot downhill double breaker going first.  The patio goes nuts and my partner for the 45 holes is so nervous he is guzzling scotch in the bar.   My playoff partner lags his up to 3” and taps in.  Opponent 1 goes first and leaves his downhiller in the heart one turn short.  Last guy, going right at it uphill and he starts to K Na it in and it horseshoes out .... what a win !!!!

Exciting and stressful, you don’t want to let down your pals and your pro

Funny, after our 4 tee balls our captain was running around telling everyone that we were f_cked.

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9