2020 US Women's Open

18majors

The mud ball is the one thing that takes away skill and replaces it with luck. Every other bad break in golf can be remedied with skill, the lies in the divot, the fried egg the ball buried in the rough all have skill based remedies. Not mud balls. So of course the two biggest events this year for the men and women ignore what is obvious to everyone else.  What a joke the USGA is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lol. They keep saying it's winter like weather. It's 60 degrees. Real Feel is 56. Guess my idea of winter is a little different. 

it is full winter cycle from last week. 2 warm days, rain, 2 colder days and repeat. 

A normal temp day is 68 ish. 

I have worn shorts every day this year in Houston, I did golf last Friday in pants as it was cold at 7.30am tee time, shorts were back in the avi though.

I cant wait to see snow and ski next week!

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

20 minutes ago, fanofseri said:

Wasn't the Golf Channel's coverage of Shibuno on the range with commentary from Brandel & Karen the best thing ever?  I've never seen a pro so mad.  Smiling Cinderella my a**.

As someone who watched enough players  on the jlpga (thank you Nasa, Ai Suzuki, Hinako and lately Yuka etc for enticing me to be persistent despite the time diff), it is clear (and somewhat bemusing) how US media keep saying the same thing about Hinako.  Practicing Hinako vs "entertainer" Hinako are 2 diff persons... She knows she's an "entertainer" on the TV/when the cameras are on, hence the smile... In practice, she's "game on", I need to get this done and I'm not fooling around... PS I actually liked what I saw on golf channel of Hinako's body language/facial expression, intensity...

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

It's my understanding that the USGA is loathe to invoke preferred lies. 

If by "loath", you mean that it will never ever happen, you are right. They never have and never will. Good for them. I like it that they insist on playing golf like it should be played.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, munichop said:

The mud ball is the one thing that takes away skill and replaces it with luck. Every other bad break in golf can be remedied with skill, the lies in the divot, the fried egg the ball buried in the rough all have skill based remedies. Not mud balls. So of course the two biggest events this year for the men and women ignore what is obvious to everyone else.  What a joke the USGA is.

Nothing more than the rub of the green. I applaud the USGA for giving in and playing golf like it should be played.

• Like 2

Cheering for Shibuno tomorrow.  Always liked her after the Women's British Open win, and a win tomorrow should win me $100 from @18majors (provided the Olympics aren't postponed again or cancelled).  Tokyo will be going crazy if she medals in the Olympics!  Re her distance, my impression was that she gives it a pretty good whack.  Not Brooke/Nelly type but probably a tad longer than DK/JYK...

Second and third choices are Lydia or JYK for third leg of the slam.  Never a huge fan of either but would like to see someone make a serious run up the historical ranks (and it would be nice to see Lydia win again after imploding).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Anyone know how to get standard NBC via streaming through a fire stick with no fee?  Our local affiliate is blackmailing Dish right now so no CBS or NBC.

Yeah I have the same problem in Phoenix with DirecTV/ATT.  I’m just having to watch golf channel replay late at night😧

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Can you load Locast on Dish? I am going through the same thing with DirecTV and the local CBS affiliate. But DirecTV lets you launch Locast right through the tv guide.

Its also a normal website where you can sign up for an account and stream your local channels...in most areas? 

That’s what I had to end doing for another event.  Locust on iPad and then AirPlay  to big screen

8 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

It looks like every drive that lands in the fairway ends up covered in mud. The USGA probably should have played preferred lies this round.

Why? Majors (men/women) have been played in worse conditions than this today. The USGA will never do L/C/P, sorry preferred lies, in any of their championships. Same as The R&A and ANGC. IIRC the only time L/C/P was ever used for a major professional event was in 2016 when the PGA of America invoked (caved to the players?) L/C/P for the final round of the PGA Championship @ Baltusrol after saying the day before they would never do it. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-pgas-decision-to-play-lift-clean-and-place-is-at-odds-with-its-own-logic

“They will be playing -- it's unlikely, very unlikely unless -- it's very unlikely,” said Kerry Haigh, the PGA of America’s chief championships officer, at the time. “The Rules of Golf are there to cover wet weather.”

Less than 12 hours later, however, officials did an about face. Sixth-tenths of an inch of rain had fallen overnight and more wet weather was in the forecast for Sunday. They announced that while the ball would continue to be played down in the third round (once a round starts, it can’t be changed), players would be able to play ball-in-hand for the final round.

Edited by grm24

4 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Why? Majors (men/women) have been played in worse conditions than this today. The USGA will never do L/C/P, sorry preferred lies, in any of their championships. Same as The R&A and ANGC. IIRC the only time L/C/P was ever used for a major professional event was in 2016 when the PGA of America invoked (caved) L/C/P for the final round of the PGA Championship @ Baltusrol after saying the day before they would never do it. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-pgas-decision-to-play-lift-clean-and-place-is-at-odds-with-its-own-logic

“They will be playing -- it's unlikely, very unlikely unless -- it's very unlikely,” said Kerry Haigh, the PGA of America’s chief championships officer, at the time. “The Rules of Golf are there to cover wet weather.”

Less than 12 hours later, however, officials did an about face. Sixth-tenths of an inch of rain had fallen overnight and more wet weather was in the forecast for Sunday. They announced that while the ball would continue to be played down in the third round (once a round starts, it can’t be changed), players would be able to play ball-in-hand for the final round.

I don't think I've ever seen the expression "ball-in-hand" used in golf before. It means the same thing as L/C/P?

5 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Checked locast, but it is not available in my area.  Thanks, though.

App? NBC sports live extra?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, Tailgater said:

It is impossible to pull for her. 

There are more than a few people who live in a bubble consisting of those who support them............ 

Just watched the highlights of Round 3 - my pick Yealimi Noh doing some wonderful putting. I think she's still on for the win. I was impressed with Moriya as well - she really does have a good game. 

Having watched a day of Japanese coverage, I now know that it isn't "Heenarko Sheeboonow" but "Shibbuno, Hinako". 

Edited by pmcuk

Weather looks to be iffy today with 10-14mph sustained winds and rain likely starting early in the round for the leaders. 

I think Amy Olson pulls it off. Would be an amazing first professional win after 6 years on the tour and 20 NCAA college victories. She’s worked on her swing the last few years and showing signs of being able to play well in big events (ie 2018 Evian and 1st round lead 2020 British). She’s streaky with some double bogeys seemingly popping up to derail good rounds. Statistically she seems to be in the top 30-50 in most categories with no major weaknesses. 

Olson should be 15-20 yards longer off the tee than Shibuno and Moriya giving her an advantage of shorter clubs into the greens. May be a big deal with an even wetter course today. 

Shibuno made some great up and downs yesterday to keep the lead and looks solid off the tee. Her approach shots seemed to be leaking right late in the round so that needs to get worked out. Very solid player overall. 

Noh is quite impressive as well. Maybe the next young American star. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

When they said they're going to show yesterday's coverage, I went back to Formula 1 LOL... let's see if Muni He continues to do Formula 1 (if Albon stays with RB) or goes back to the LPGA (if her beau doesn't get a ride)...

Have you been surprised that Muni is such a traditional woman at heart?  Can't see that from her Instagram pages.

• Haha 1

Just now, Supermilo said:

When they said they're going to show yesterday's coverage, I went back to Formula 1 LOL... let's see if Muni He continues to do Formula 1 (if Albon stays with RB) or goes back to the LPGA (if her beau doesn't get a ride)...

lol I watched the ending of the race leading to the US open coverage, so I already know the ending.  I used to be a huge F1 fan but about 5 years after Schumacker retired I stopped watching, at the time the cars were so even that how you finished in qualify is usually how the race ended.  Nobody could pass anyone it was just horrible to watch lol

• Like 1