2020 US Women's Open

18majors

3 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Add me to the growing list of folks upset with the USGA's no "Lift, Clean, and Place" policy.

It turns a game of skill into a game of chance.   Three tee off, three find the fairway, and only one has no mud on the ball.   That's bs.

Three tee off , three find fairway but one finds a divot .......rub of the green it's called......elements will always be apart of golf.....gust of wind, sudden rain , bright sun etc.....

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, Argonne69 said:

Did anyone ever mention why there was a wall in the middle of the driving range?

Courses look great. Weather looks excellent today, but there will likely be a storm moving through tomorrow afternoon.

It was because they had bays at both ends of the range and some of the bigger hitters could potentially reach so they put they fences up to protect the players 

Late to the party but I have to say I thought the jack rabbit was a harder course than Cypress. JR was very fiddly and the greens were much smaller in comparison to CC.

The dormant Bermuda rough was very awkward also, ball would sit right down in it and could come out all sorts of ways, dead, fliers. Also tricky around the greens. 

7 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

I see no team there though. 😉

There is no doubt that Korean ladies are much better trained, prepared, and getting results.  They are much better coached as well.  Why are these players do not seek out coaches in Korea?  They recycle these old coaches who do not get results with these ladies?

I guess many Korean coaches will not come to the US to coach but I am sure some will.  Look at archery coaches from Korea.  Some do come to the US. 

This ^^^^ ain't even close to correct or Korean men would be doing the same.  P.S. the Kid from my dorm who sold a lot of Pot also happened to win the olympics in Archery, was his own coach and am guessing his self medication calmed him down.

Congrats to the winner. She made the 3 birdies to finish on some hard holes.

I rooted for Olsen because I know the massive grief of losing and in-law or a parent trying to do something you have dreamed of your whole life. I doubt her all her thoughts were on golf and what she nearly did was special.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

There is no doubt that Korean ladies are much better trained, prepared, and getting results.  They are much better coached as well.  Why are these players do not seek out coaches in Korea?  They recycle these old coaches who do not get results with these ladies?

I guess many Korean coaches will not come to the US to coach but I am sure some will.  Look at archery coaches from Korea.  Some do come to the US. 

You would think this would translate over to the men's side as well but that's not the case. If you look at the world ranking for men and women... Almost half of the top-100 on the women's world ranking list are Korean, but there are only 4 Koreans in the top 100 on the men's side. I wonder why there is such a major disparity between the two.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

'Nice to see Jin Young play herself into the CME later this week. 'Not sure if Lucky 6's finish is enough to get her into the tournament.

I really honestly thought JYK (as well as JYK 2.0) would factor in today's play... Wasn't suprised a single iota that JYK was right there at the end -- hallmark of a champion.  JYK kinda reminds me a little bit of Inbee and SYK -- averaged out - if you get what I mean... (and not in age, clearly LOL)... Shibuno (my sentimental favorite) was already sputtering in round 3 (hence my anti jinx post on Sunday haha), I kinda felt it was next to impossible for her to win (but was hoping she'd eke it out, of course).  Nonetheless, covid year = A Lim Kim, what else did one expect right (Popov too)?  (Onwards to the CME and I'm back to rooting for my usual bets! you guys know who they are haha)

Question for @18majors -- with an LPGA exemption automatic for Kim, would she take it you think?     And, you should keep promoting some of these up and comers with a focus on KLPGA, I'll give you the tidbits on the rest of the Southeast Asians instead haha (eg Atthaya (Jen), Yuka, LK, etc)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

You would think this would translate over to the men's side as well but that's not the case. If you look at the world ranking for men and women... Almost half of the top-100 on the women's world ranking list are Korean, but there are only 4 Koreans in the top 100 on the men's side. I wonder why there is such a major disparity between the two.

Exactly my point.  Many American ladies use same coaches as men's.  Why?  Things are obviously not working.  Why do things that are not working?  Why not try something else?

Yealimi Noh had a disappointed day!   She clearly was unprepared for it; but she'll be stronger for it.

"Being There, Done That," she'll handle it better the next time.

The silver lining is she'll be paired with Nelly Korda and Brooke Henderson during the first round of CME Tour Championship; another learning experience.

By the way, even though none of these three did well at US Women's Open; they're the group that'll lead LPGA to the promised land.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I agree... If it's coaching, should benefit both men and women..

I think it's more with work ethic

Lee Trevino once said "There is no such thing as a natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls."

55 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Three tee off , three find fairway but one finds a divot .......rub of the green it's called......elements will always be apart of golf.....gust of wind, sudden rain , bright sun etc.....

Most divots can be skillfully played from; most mudballs cannot.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Question for @18majors -- with an LPGA exemption automatic for Kim, would she take it you think?     And, you should keep promoting some of these up and comers with a focus on KLPGA, I'll give you the tidbits on the rest of the Southeast Asians instead haha (eg Atthaya (Jen), Yuka, LK, etc)

A Lim Kim is 25 years old and she doesn't have the resume of Jin Young Ko or Lucky 6.  My advice: "Take the Money and Ran, Don't Do It".

Too bad, three players who should come to LPGA; Hye Jin Choi, Hae Ran Ryu and Hee Jeong Lim didn't win.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

Exactly my point.  Many American ladies use same coaches as men's.  Why?  Things are obviously not working.  Why do things that are not working?  Why not try something else?

Like @8602081 said I don't think it's all about coaching. If that were the case you would have a much larger number of top Korean players on the men's side also. Maybe it's more of a cultural thing? Maybe young girls in Korea have women golfers to look up to and model themselves after (which is great), but not much else? I can't really think of any other sport that Korean born women excel at on an international stage in large numbers. 

For girls in the US they have soccer stars, WNBA stars, tennis stars, swimmers, gymnasts, track and field, and countless other Olympic sports stars who are all dominant in their sports that they can look up to and try to be like. Therefore, golf sort of gets lost in the shuffle of all those other sports. 

Just my theory though. I have absolutely no evidence to back it up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

It's a mindset issue imo, golf is likely more important to Korean females than it is to American females.  They appear to train and practice more.  Korean men may be just as committed to golf as the women in their country but the competition from the men on the PGA Tour is tougher so it's not as easy for them to dominate.  

I think we'll see Americans have more success on the LPGA Tour in the next 5-10 years, as golf in this country appears to be doing a better job involving children in golf, especially girls.  

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Not gonna lie, when I got home tonight and checked the the results A Lim Kim was not the name I imagined seeing as the winner, but good on her.  That was an amazing round to play to win the US Open when everyone else was getting their butts whipped by the course.  I suspect Jin Young Ko is easily in the CME now, so congrats to her and too bad for Sophia but at least we get Natalie Gulbis and Sarah Kemp smh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 18majors said:

A Lim Kim is 25 years old and she doesn't have the resume of Jin Young Ko or Lucky 6.  My advice: "Take the Money and Ran, Don't Do It".

Too bad, three players who should come to LPGA; Hye Jin Choi, Hae Ran Ryu and Hee Jeong Lim didn't win.

haha, so she shld do a shibuno and wait for a potential chance at a 2nd major before saying she will accept it? 😛 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

haha, so she shld do a shibuno and wait for a potential chance at a 2nd major before saying she will accept it? 😛 

No, Shibuno is different.  Shibuno is younger (22) and she's a potential to compete as a Top-10 player at LPGA.  No question, she should come to LPGA.

If A Lim Kim joins LPGA, she'll fight to stay inside Top-80 money every year; it isn't an enjoyable life when she's 7,000 miles away from home.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 18majors said:

No, Shibuno is different.  Shibuno is younger (22) and she's a potential to compete as a Top-10 player at LPGA.  No question, she should come to LPGA.

If A Lim Kim joins LPGA, she'll fight to stay inside Top-80 money every year; it isn't an enjoyable life when she's 7,000 miles away from home.

Wow, she really came out of nowhere then! The "Bianca of the KLPGA" monicker that you said after round 1 when I asked about her is "overstated" then?

1 hour ago, Rustbelt said:

It's not surprising the Koreans won in a slug fest.  They have 10x the discipline of most other players.

SYR has commented on why/how they have so much success.  Everyone believes they can do it just like those before them.

It goes back to the comments on mud balls.  Look who's complaining?  Did they win?  Just play the course in as few of shots as possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Like @8602081 said I don't think it's all about coaching. If that were the case you would have a much larger number of top Korean players on the men's side also. Maybe it's more of a cultural thing? Maybe young girls in Korea have women golfers to look up to and model themselves after (which is great), but not much else? I can't really think of any other sport that Korean born women excel at on an international stage in large numbers. 

For girls in the US they have soccer stars, WNBA stars, tennis stars, swimmers, gymnasts, track and field, and countless other Olympic sports stars who are all dominant in their sports that they can look up to and try to be like. Therefore, golf sort of gets lost in the shuffle of all those other sports. 

Just my theory though. I have absolutely no evidence to back it up.

Actually, Korean women dominate archery more than any other sports.  Compared to archery, women's golf is just a bleep.  

Yes, coaching is not even close to the main reason.  Someone said Korean girls are valued more.  Actually, no.  Most definitely no.  It is the other way. It is fortunately changing now in Korea.  This may actually be reason why women have an advantage there. When I was growing up in Korea, there was a stigma toward athletes that they are not as bright as intellectual people.  Males were supposed to take care of older generations and females were to be housewives.  This is why there are far more men in Korea than women.  Women, therefore, had more freedom to pursue other interests outside of study.  Back then, people told us we cannot possibly compete against westerners.  

That is why Se Ri Pak was such a big deal.  Afterwards, so many girls want to be like Se Ri and took up golf.  Girls knew they can compete against anyone.  That is why the sport became so big there. 

• Like 1

Well now that the event is over and there is one tournament left I can finally stop biting my tongue lol.  Yes Paige is bad, but Judy is equally as bad, she tells the exact same story about the players every week it's mind numbing to be honest.  The only one I can actually stomach is Tom Abbott cause he occasionally makes me laugh.  Someone earlier said that Paula Creamer might be good and I can see this but again I'd have to see her do a few event to have an honest opinion.  But truth be known if it were possible I would only have the ambient sounds of the course where we only hear players interactions and caddie interactions and not hear any of the nonsense any announcer have to say. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Wow, she really came out of nowhere then! The "Bianca of the KLPGA" monicker that you said after round 1 when I asked about her is "overstated" then?

Even though A Lim Kim leads KLPGA in driving distance, she pales in comparison with Bianca's prowess.

She isn't a Top-10 player at KLPGA.  Players who came to the US in the last 5 years; Hyo Joo Kim, In Gee Chun, Sung Hyun Park, Jin Young Ko and Lucky 6 all have been the Top-Top player the year before they came to LPGA.

Edited by 18majors
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Even though A Lim Kim leads KLPGA in driving distance, she pales in comparison with Bianca's prowess.

She isn't a Top-10 player at KLPGA.  Players who came to the US in the last 5 years; Hyo Joo Kim, In Gee Chun, Sung Hyun Park, Jin Young Ko, Lucky 6 all have been the Top-Top player the year before the came to LPGA.

Got it! At least I know there'll be more "seoul sister" members with Lim Kim's win :P.  Plus your updates wont be as "foreign" to me anymore esp with the Korean Google Auto Translate! haha

29 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Not gonna lie, when I got home tonight and checked the the results A Lim Kim was not the name I imagined seeing as the winner, but good on her.  That was an amazing round to play to win the US Open when everyone else was getting their butts whipped by the course.  I suspect Jin Young Ko is easily in the CME now, so congrats to her and too bad for Sophia but at least we get Natalie Gulbis and Sarah Kemp smh

JYK is #45 in CME, so shoo in... Sad that Lee6 didn't make it at 80+...

• Like 1