2020 US Women's Open

18majors

On 12/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, 18majors said:

One of the reasons Erika Hara is catching all the attention after she won her second major this year, is that's she's the so called 8-head beauty in Japan.  

Erika (5'8") is tall and has a relatively small head; and her height is more than 8 times the height of her head.

Erika Hara! Two teachers testify to "8-head model" female professional

spacer.png

Okay, so I did a brief Google search. I was curious because that's the nickname of Chae Young Yoon right? I wasn't aware that 7, 7 and a half and eight heads were ratios of reference in art. 8-head sounds strange to an American, but it's no different than the different "beauty standards" in America and other countries. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Best value there is So Yeon Ryu and Pederson I would think. Apart from those two, the odds look about right to me, except for a certain person at $28 who hasn't won in about 90 starts over 4 seasons.

I do like pedersen as dark horse cause she is playing very well but my bias comes in with LET players.  The same way I don't put someone lighting up the Symetra as a favorite when they play an LPGA event is the same that I don't put someone  who lights up the LET as a favorite.  It's just a huge step up in class.  Now that I said this though, you know she's now gonna win by 5 shots lol

Bet365 has an early cashout option for other sports that where if you're winning the bet you can cash before its over for a percentage of your bet.  Sadly this option isn't available tournament winners in golf.  The player you referenced at 28-1 is usually there after 3 rounds and if you could cashout after 3rd round and before the 4th starts then it might have been worth it lol

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

Early forecast for next Thursday looks tough.  Fifties and rain.  Houston in December was always going to be a crap shoot (I'm sure the blue blazers understood this...).  Will be interesting to see how the forecast holds and unfolds for the remainder of the week.

TP you've gotten a bit soft since your move! 50, rain?  Surely you've played in a lot worse, and I'll stop calling you surely.  We're playing in shorts in the 50s.

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Bet365.com betting odds, many surprising picks

Top-10

Sei Young Kim  10/1     Inbee Park  11/1     Danielle Kang  12/1     Hye Jin Choi  16/1     Jin Young Ko  18/1      Nelly Korda  18/1     

Brooke Henderson  18/1     Nasa Hataoka  22/1   So Yeon Ryu  25/1     Carlotta Ciganda  28/1     Minjee Lee  28/1   Lexi  28/1

Lydia Ko  33/1     Lucky 6  33/1      Ally Ewing  33/1     Jessica Korda  55/1     Hae Ran Ryu  55/1     Yealimi Noh  60/1

Ayaka Furue  66/1     Hee Jeong Lim  75/1     Emily K. Pedersen  75/1     Na Rin An  80/1     In Gee Chun 90/1

Hinako Shibuno  125/1     Bianca Pagdanganan  140/1     Kelly Tan  140/1     Yuka Saso  175/1     Rose Zhang  175/1

Erika Hara  275/1     Gabriela Ruffels  350/1

Which ones do you find surprising?

For me, best value is Jin Young Ko and Lucky6. 

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Bet365.com betting odds, many surprising picks

Top-10

Sei Young Kim  10/1     Inbee Park  11/1     Danielle Kang  12/1     Hye Jin Choi  16/1     Jin Young Ko  18/1      Nelly Korda  18/1     

Brooke Henderson  18/1     Nasa Hataoka  22/1   So Yeon Ryu  25/1     Carlotta Ciganda  28/1     Minjee Lee  28/1   Lexi  28/1

Lydia Ko  33/1     Lucky 6  33/1      Ally Ewing  33/1     Jessica Korda  55/1     Hae Ran Ryu  55/1     Yealimi Noh  60/1

Ayaka Furue  66/1     Hee Jeong Lim  75/1     Emily K. Pedersen  75/1     Na Rin An  80/1     In Gee Chun 90/1

Hinako Shibuno  125/1     Bianca Pagdanganan  140/1     Kelly Tan  140/1     Yuka Saso  175/1     Rose Zhang  175/1

Erika Hara  275/1     Gabriela Ruffels  350/1

2 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

My biggest surprise is Hye Jin Choi as #4; my handicapping is Hae Ran Ryu (55/1) will beat her this week.

Also:

Danielle ahead of both Nelly and Brooke

Carlota Ciganda is on the list to win anything

Hinako Shibuno at 125/1

and many others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

Is the USGA streaming this like they did the men's open?

Yes, they typically stream two featured group sessions each day and may have other options.  Each session will show almost every shot of two pairings of six players.

By the way, USGA.org offers tons of relevant videos and information even before tournament plays start on Thursday.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

TP you've gotten a bit soft since your move! 50, rain?  Surely you've played in a lot worse, and I'll stop calling you surely.  We're playing in shorts in the 50s.

I have played in 50s + wind + rain (never in shorts though - that would be crazy).  It was miserable.  I have also played in 30s + bright sun + no wind/rain.  It was fantastic.  Wind, rain, and radiance make all the difference.  Regardless I got my weeks mixed up.  Weather should be OK in Houston this week with Sunday being a little cool.

When use value as an expression and don't necessarily mean I think the player will win per se, it's just that I feel  their odds don't match current form and overall player ability.  @Raving Shanker pick of So Yeon actually is very good value also, she's been playing great in Korea and played great in Texas, without much volatility when the course was eating up almost everyone else.  So Yeon played her last 40 holes without a bogey and 8 under par.  Another good value might be Ally Ewing (Mc Donald) at 33-1.   But we all know picking winner on a weekly basis is tough exercise, just look at our track records when we pick the winners on here each week lol

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

When use value as an expression and don't necessarily mean I think the player will win per se, it's just that I feel  their odds don't match current form and overall player ability.  @Raving Shanker pick of So Yeon actually is very good value also, she's been playing great in Korea and played great in Texas, without much volatility when the course was eating up almost everyone else.  So Yeon played her last 40 holes without a bogey and 8 under par.  Another good value might be Ally Ewing (Mc Donald) at 33-1. 

Isn't it all depending on winning score?  So Yeon is a good pick if the winning score is -10 or worse.

I'd actually pick Yealimi over So Yeon if the winning score is -20 or better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Isn't it all depending on winning score?  So Yeon is a good pick if the winning score is -10 or worse.

I'd actually pick Yealimi over So Yeon if the winning score is -20 or better.

Well you're right, scoring definitely matters and we got to see how the course plays but -20 at a US Open, the USGA would wanna smack ya for saying that out loud lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Stooch said:

Nice shout out from Brandel and we finally agree on something lol

She put ALL of her body in that swing.  I'd need a chiropractor if I swung like that!

• Haha 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

A Texas two-fer?  Another win for Angela Stanford?  Unlikely, but it could happen!

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Yes, they typically stream two featured group sessions each day and may have other options.  Each session will show almost every shot of two pairings of six players.

By the way, USGA.org offers tons of relevant videos and information even before tournament plays start on Thursday.

This is great news. They did a great job streaming the mens I hope the women's coverage is just as good.

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I have played in 50s + wind + rain (never in shorts though - that would be crazy).  It was miserable.  I have also played in 30s + bright sun + no wind/rain.  It was fantastic.  Wind, rain, and radiance make all the difference.  Regardless I got my weeks mixed up.  Weather should be OK in Houston this week with Sunday being a little cool.

Giving you a hard time, of course.  The coldest we've ever played was 23, sunny and no wind. Of course, I don't radiate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Okay, so I did a brief Google search. I was curious because that's the nickname of Chae Young Yoon right? I wasn't aware that 7, 7 and a half and eight heads were ratios of reference in art. 8-head sounds strange to an American, but it's no different than the different "beauty standards" in America and other countries. 

Correct! No different than how the Chinese viewed "small feet" as "pretty"/"beautiful" in the past (like over 100 yrs ago)... Beauty in the eyes of the beholder...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

If the USGA is streaming any of this they’re doing a bad job of advertising it. Can’t find any info on when a stream would start. 

Peacock isn’t much better. It doesn’t show up at all under “Live & Upcoming,” but at least we’ve seen the press release. 

USGA.org usually doesn't show their streaming programs until the day tournament starts, Thursday.  It's the same for Fox and for NBC when they conducted US Open in September, 2020.

They just do it, even when they raised their purses.

• Like 3

@Seamus_McDuff  ... I just perused the USWO app and it has the "Watch" heading available ... so when I looked at it, it had the Highlights and Featured.  Now I suppose the Featured would be the Featured Groups ... but I cannot say that is the case with any certainty.  And, yes, you're point is very relevant -- the USGA should let its viewers/followers know that they are or are not streaming feature groups or feature holes.

Lexi Thompson

In a similar spirit as to Michelle Wie in 2014 at Pinehurst, (Wie had used both Keegan Bradley & Rickie Fowler's yardage/greens books), Lexi is trying to channel some "good karma" from the PGA tour as she will have Tim Tucker on her bag at Champions this week.  Tucker is the regular looper for Bryson DeChambeau and he is also going for a rare double victory (US Open and US Women's Open).  While it has been done before, it appears that it was never pulled off in the same year.  Lexi is probably hoping that the good karma goes her way!  

http://bit.ly/349vgVp

Edited by Golf Dino
Add Link
  • Like 3

Pairing and tee times haven't been released as far as I know and perhaps they are waiting for that to release streaming data.  They might not know who and what time they will be covering the featured groups.  If my memory of them is correct there is one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

As a Canadian I rarely say bless TSN but it seems they get all programming on one channel so I don't have to worry about finding the channels.  I'm not sure we can even access Peacock here in Canada.

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 1

@Stooch   ... I suspect that you're "bang on" with Peacock not being available in Canada.  Assuming that it is a streaming service similar to Netflix,  then it would have to seek approval from the CRTC (Canadian Radio - Television Commission) to set up shop in Canada.  Or perhaps NBC decides not to do that because they can make more $$ by licensing TSN or whomever, to carry their content as they already do with Golf Channel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Pairing and tee times haven't been released as far as I know and perhaps they are waiting for that to release streaming data.  They might not know who and what time they will be covering the featured groups.  If my memory of them is correct there is one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

As a Canadian I rarely say bless TSN but it seems they get all programming on one channel so I don't have to worry about finding the channels.  I'm not sure we can even access Peacock here in Canada.

Ouch, you lose 5-1/2 hours of programs over 3 rounds without Peacock!

I know Brooke will be on at least one of the featured groups; maybe she'll be on two to alleviate your problem.

@Golf Dino I suspect you are right as well but I wonder if the USGA laid down the law on Canada.  I not sure TSN and NBC have the best relationship as Whan and the LPGA had to step in to get live coverage of Brooke winning the CP Women Open for us in Canada, they were gonna tape delay till 5 PM lol.  Whan didn't want the PR nightmare North of the border cause Golf Channel and NBC were being D-bags lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Getting a VPN and selecting the US as the country of origin would make you be able to access Peacock 🙂

• Like 1