2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2020 US Women's Open

18majors

20 hours ago, Stooch said:

Bryson D. caddie is working for Lexi this week, should be interesting when he's explaining to her how the morning dew combined with the Barometric pressure and the angle of the sun is gonna affect her putts. lol

That's funny right there!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Pedersen’s Resurgence Gives Denmark a Hopeful at Champions

"Not since she became a golf sensation in Denmark as a teenager had Pedersen endured such a layoff. But she had also never been through the mental and emotional strife that her lackluster tournament results had created, just ahead of the mandatory break. She made just 15 of 39 cuts on the LPGA Tour and Ladies European Tour (LET) in 2018 and 2019, and when competition restarted in August, Pedersen stood at No. 489 in the Rolex Rankings.

The biggest story in women’s golf this season is then-world No. 304 Sophia Popov winning the Women’s British Open. Not far behind, and admittedly much farther off the radar, is Pedersen’s transformation. 

Since late August, Pedersen has produced four victories on the LET, including three straight to end the season in November. There was also a playoff loss to Stacy Lewis in the Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open and a tie for 11th in the Women’s British Open, all of which vaulted her 420 spots (she enters the week at No. 69) and earned her a spot in this week’s all-exempt U.S. Women’s Open field at Champions Golf Club. She is joined by two other Danes, Nanna Koerstz Madsen and Nicole Broch Larsen.

Pedersen, who tied for 41st in her only previous U.S. Women’s Open in 2018, finished the 2020 LET season No. 1 on the money list with €436,683 ($528,927) – four times more than her closest pursuer – and led the circuit in three statistical categories: stroke average (70.40), birdies (158) and eagles (13). She finished sixth in driving distance (269.1)."

One day out and I've lost so much traction on this thread haha... I thought @18majors was joking with the Pagdanganan, Fassi, Van Damm pairing... guess not 😛 

Since everyone's putting out some many of their picks: I'm just going with my favorites --  

LPGA Vets: SYK, Minjee, SYR, Mina and Kelly

LPGA Rookies: Bianca, Andrea, Yealimi

Other tours: Hinako and Yuka  

At least it's "only 10 out of 156 haha... eg I chose <10% of the field - effectively you can make it my top 10 picks LOL 

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

It'd take a miracle for Nelly Korda to make the cut this week

Nelly Korda returns from back injury just in time for U.S. Women's Open

"Asked if she feels a little anxious going into a major with so little preparation, the 22-year-old said, “A little, yeah. I mean, you kind of don’t know what’s going to happen. I mean, your feel is not 100 percent there. Like yesterday when I was putting, I was hitting them like 10 feet by.”

spacer.png

• Like 2

Since hubby and I have a wager between us, I'll share here as these are my picks. We both chose 5, lowest points is winner, 1 alternate in case of w/d. If a player misses the cut, add in their placement after Friday (ie, T90).

Upon disclosure, we share 3 players:   SY Kim, Inbee, Nelly

ME:  SY Ryu, Ayaka Furue      alt:  M Sagstrom

HUBBY:  EK Pedersen, D Kang      alt:  Nasa

We both started with a longer list. As for me, I also had my sights on:  Pedersen, Minjee, Lexi, Lydia

We shall see!! 🤝  

PS:  I 'thought' I posted this some hours ago so apologies if it get repeated.

Edited by MagicClassic407
addition
  • Like 2

DK for the W. Got that feeling Lexi might have a good run at this( nothing to do with Bryson's caddie ).

I know the LET and LPGA are two different animals, but good golf is good golf and Emily Pederson's game was looking wonderful. If that break in the action she had didn't affect her game she should be in the mix.

Obviously JYK and Inbee will be lurking also.

Darkhorse Yu or Su.

10 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Since hubby and I have a wager between us, I'll share here as these are my picks. We both chose 5, lowest points is winner, 1 alternate in case of w/d. If a player misses the cut, add in their placement after Friday (ie, T90).

Upon disclosure, we share 3 players:   SY Kim, Inbee, Nelly

ME:  SY Ryu, Ayaka Furue      alt:  M Sagstrom

HUBBY:  EK Pedersen, D Kang      alt:  Nasa

We both started with a longer list. As for me, I also had my sights on:  Pedersen, Minjee, Lexi, Lydia

We shall see!! 🤝  

PS:  I 'thought' I posted this some hours ago so apologies if it get repeated.

Really cool concept! Lexi at 40/1 is so tempting to me but not sure stressing over every 5 foot putt she has is good for my health.

• Like 1

GolfWRX Staffer - Gianni

So thinking how the event will play out, I don't think putter will be a deciding factor overall.  Three of the round will be played on huge green complexes and hitting the proper quadrant will be key or even great putting won't save ya.  So I think a player who is a sniper with her irons and wedges, will have the best chance.  So it comes down to 2 players for me, Sei Young Kim and Danielle Kang and by all metrics Sei Young is the better of the 2, Sei Young Kim closes a dream season with a US Open win IMO. I should have my avatar in consideration as she stacks up right behind Sei Young in so many of the leading stats, except putting and while I don't think the putter will be the deciding factor, you're gonna have to make putts.   Brooke putter has done nothing to help her all season and i don't think that will  change this week all her scoring this year has come from ballstriking and the statistical laws of probability lol.

I really have a gut feeling about Lydia but my brain says she won't be able to have 4 good rounds with the driver.  I don't think the rough will be a death sentence but more bad luck when getting a terrible lie, hitting from the fairway will still be key.

Lexi too, could have a good event she's pretty accurate with her irons, generally and she does step up in majors, although not so much this season.

My  dark horse is gonna be Jennifer Kupcho, she been finding her way to the top of leaderboards more often, i think she'll be there and could get it done.

• Like 4

Good luck to Yui, same to Patty Tavatanakit

Yui Kawamoto hopes to get into CME Tour Championship with a good result from USWO

"I definitely want to be in the final race," he said. He is not yet eligible for the CME Group Tour Championship (Tiburon GC, Florida), the final round of 20 years next week, and needs to raise his current 78th point ranking to 70th. "First of all, there are four days, and I want to aim for the top ten." The turbulent year does not end here. (Houston, Texas / Yohei Hayashi)"

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is such a great video, highly recommend

Maria will be impressive if she figures out how to keep it in the fairway. Otherwise, she should be a long drive competitor. In fact, last week, the course should have suited them both. Maria had a mc and Bianca finished last. 

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Like 1

Jeongeun-Lee6-Ben-Harpring.jpg?resize=69

2020 U.S. WOMEN’S OPEN PREVIEW

Tony Jesselli previews the 2020 U.S. Women's Open to be played December 10-13 at the Champions Golf Club in Houston, Texas.

Because of the COVID 19 pandemic, this has been a very strange year for the world of golf. Who would have ever thought that the U.S. Women’s Open, originally scheduled for the first week of June, would be played in mid-December? Yes, the U.S. Women’s Open will be played this week and here are the facts and key information including TV times.

Key Details

When: December 10-13, 2020.
Where: Champions Golf Club, Houston, Texas
Courses: Cypress Creek and Jackrabbit
Defending Champion: Jeongeun Lee6
Par: Both courses are 71
Field: 156 players

TV times: (ET)

Celine-Boutier-at-the-2019-CME-Group-Tou Celine Boutier at the 2019 CME Group Tour Championship – Photo by Ben Harpring

12/10 – Golf Channel – 12:30pm – 6:00pm
12/11 – Golf Channel – 3:00pm – 6:00pm
12/12 – Golf Channel – 11:am – 1:00pm & NBC – 2:30pm – 6:00pm
12/13 – Golf Channel – 11:am – 2:00pm & NBC – 2:00pm – 5:00pm

Former U.S. Women’s Open champions in field (9):
In Gee Chun (2015), Eun He Ji (2009), Ariya Jutanugarn (2018), Cristie Kerr (2007), Brittany Lang (2016), Jeongeun Lee6 (2019), Inbee Park (2008, 2013), Sung Hyun Park (2017), So Yeon Ryu (2011).

U.S. Women’s Amateur champions in field (7):
Kristen Gillman (2014, 2018), Danielle Kang (2010, 2011), Lydia Ko (2012), Morgan Pressel (2005), Gabriella Ruffles (2019), Jennifer Song (2009), Rose Zhang (2020).

Players with most U.S. Open appearances:
Cristie Kerr (23), Angela Stanford (21), Morgan Pressel (17), Christina Kim (16), Katherine Kirk (16), Brittany Lang (16), Brittany Lincicome (16), Stacy Lewis (14), Inbee Park (14), Lexi Thompson (14), Amy Yang (14).

Countries represented (26):
United States (41), Republic of Korea (27), Japan (17), Sweden (10), England (8), Australia (6), Thailand (6), France (5), People’s Republic of China (4), Spain (4), Denmark (3), Germany (3), Italy (3), Austria (2), Canada (2), Chinese Taipei (2), Mexico (2), New Zealand (2), Philippines (2), Malaysia (1), Netherlands (1), Northern Ireland (1), Norway (1), Puerto Rico (1), Slovenia (1), South America (1).

Youngest competitor in field: Ho Yu An (born 6-14-03) 17
Oldest player in field: Cristie Kerr (born 10-12-77) 43

Kristen-Gillman-at-the-2019-Bank-of-Hope Kristen Gillman at the 2019 Bank of Hope Founders Cup. Photo by Ben Harpring

Sisters in the field:
Ariya & Moriya Jutanugarn
Jessica & Nelly Korda

Note: For the first time in U.S. Women’s Open history, the championship will be played on two courses. This is to account for the reduced daylight, given the move to December

Other non-related LPGA news:

The Solheim Cup will be moving to even years beginning in 2024. The 2021 and 2023 events will be held in previously announced dates and locations in Ohio and Spain, respectively, with back to back tournaments in 2023 and 2024. The specific dates and location for the 2024 event, which will be held in the United States, will be announced in the future.

Celine Boutier and Cheyenne Knight are the only two members of the LPGA Tour who have played in all sixteen tournaments to date.

Angela Stanford’s win at the Volunteers of America Classic this past week was the sixth win by a player from the United States. Players from the Republic of Korea have won five times. England is the only other multiple win country with two.

https://www.womensgolf.com/2020-u-s-womens-open-preview

• Like 3

Since even Stooch is not picking Brooke this week I will. Hendersen for the win.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

12 hours ago, Stooch said:

So it comes down to 2 players for me, Sei Young Kim and Danielle Kang...I really have a gut feeling about Lydia but my brain says she won't be able to have 4 good rounds with the driver.  I don't think the rough will be a death sentence but more bad luck when getting a terrible lie, hitting from the fairway will still be key.

Lexi too, could have a good event she's pretty accurate with her irons, generally and she does step up in majors, although not so much this season.

My  dark horse is gonna be Jennifer Kupcho, she been finding her way to the top of leaderboards more often, i think she'll be there and could get it done.

I can't disagree or find fault with any of this.  Mark me down too.

• Like 1

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

10 hours ago, fanofseri said:

The temporary walls at the Houston driving range are an absolute disgrace.  Another slap in the face the women--never the men, must endure.  Next year the tournament is back at a real venue. 

I assume you’re referring to the temporary fencing put up because both ends of the driving range are being used.  What do you think would have been the solution if it was the men’s Open?

• Like 2

Don't forget, there're many USWO programs on Golf Channel today (Eastern Standard Time)

Wednesday, Dec. 9

Golf’s Greatest Rounds: 1997 U.S. Women’s Open

11 a.m.-2 p.m.

GOLF Channel

2020 U.S. Women’s Open (Practice Round)

2-3:30 p.m.

GOLF Channel

GOLF Films: Greatest Moments of U.S. Women’s Open

9-10 p.m.

GOLF Channel

Golf’s Greatest Rounds: 2007 U.S. Women’s Open

10 p.m.-1 a.m.

GOLF Channel

Just now, 18majors said:

Don't forget, there're many USWO programs on Golf Channel today (Eastern Standard Time)

Wednesday, Dec. 9

Golf’s Greatest Rounds: 1997 U.S. Women’s Open

11 a.m.-2 p.m.

GOLF Channel

2020 U.S. Women’s Open (Practice Round)

2-3:30 p.m.

GOLF Channel

GOLF Films: Greatest Moments of U.S. Women’s Open

9-10 p.m.

GOLF Channel

Golf’s Greatest Rounds: 2007 U.S. Women’s Open

10 p.m.-1 a.m.

GOLF Channel

I'm watching Nancy Lopez as we speak lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

I'm watching Nancy Lopez as we speak lol

One of my all time favorites!

• Like 2