Anyone else not carry any fairway woods?

I would love to carry a fairway wood to help me reach long par 5s but it just hasn’t worked out for me. I carry driver then u510 2 iron. I rarely need a fairway wood and when I do I usually end up with a penalty or just not hitting a good shot. My misses with the 2 iron keep me in play I just don’t get quite the distance out of the fairway I need. Anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No fairway woods but technically I have 2 drivers in my bag: a 9.5* TS4 and a 12* 917D2 (turned down to 11.25*).  The TS4 flights lower and favors a fade.  The 917D2 turns over and obviously gives a h

Indeed, many of us are short enough that the rare chance of getting to Par 5's in two really isn't a significant factor in terms of long term scoring impact.  And its not just hacks that are in this s

Was in the same boat then got a G410 3 wood easiest 3 wood ever to hit and plenty long 

Posted Images

I'm in the same boat. I go from Driver to 3-Hybrid then into 4-iron and down. there are times where I need the distance that a 3-wood might go for me, but I don't think I've ever hit a good wood shot in my adult life.

• Like 1

Mavrik SZ TD - Diamana x'17 50S

PXG 0317x gen2 19* hybrid - MMT 80S
PXG 0211 4-SW - MMT 80S
Edison Forged 55*, 59* - MMT 105TX
Golo3 2014 - Pokéball weights
My swing: "something resembling a wet noodle" - My Boss.

I’m somewhat in the same boat here. I carry a 9* driver and 15* driving iron. My next club is a 3i which sits at 21*.

Driver - 290

DI - 250

3i - 230

One problem I have is my DI is long but the flight is super low, which has its positive and negatives. It is also very difficult to pick off the turf on a par 5. The other issue I have with this setup is I rarely need my 3i. What I am personally thinking of trying this offseason is removing the 3i from the bag and tossing in a 5 wood. This should solve my issue where I need a higher ball flighted shot with distance and also if I need it off the fairway on a par 5.

Edited by rjp217
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM M3 9* (Tensei CK Pro White 70TX)

Cobra SZ 5W (Tensei AV Blue 75TX)

TM P790UDI (Aldila RIP Hybrid Alpha 105X)

Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-5 (KBS Tour 130X)

Mizuno MP18 SC 6-7 (KBS Tour 130X)

Mizuno MP18 MB 8-PW (KBS Tour 130X)

TM Hi-Toe Raw 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

TM Spider X Copper

Similar position here. Driver, U510 1 iron, T100 3 iron, 4 iron, etc. It works for me and the majority of the courses I play. I'd probably use a fairway wood on my home course if I had one, but I'm struggling to think where: driver holes are driver holes, and there isn't anywhere where my 1 iron or 3 iron isn't suitable but a 3 wood might be.

Even when I travel and play longer courses, I don't think I'd be in a significantly better position with a 3 wood off the tee rather than the 1 utility, and same goes for long par 5's - I rarely need or want 3 wood distance from the fairway, and I prefer hitting an accurate iron over a less accurate longer club from a distance.

Edited by steventoo
more stuff
  • Like 1

Same here, I am about 5 rounds into using 10.5 driver then 17* hybrid.

• Like 1

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

I have a Titleist 917D2 4-wood at 16.5 degrees with a Diamana D+ 70g X shaft.  It is stupid easy to hit.  I was never a fairway wood player as a kid, but these clubs are a lot easier to hit for some reason.  There is one hole in particular at the course I regularly play at: it is a 325 yard par 4 with a hard dogleg right.  Push it right and you end up in tall grass behind trees and can't make the green.  Draw it too far left and you are playing a penalty stroke.  Hit it too long outside of the 40 yard window with a driver with only a slight draw or fade and take a penalty on either side.  the safest option is to play a 215 yard 4 or 5 iron to the dogleg, which is what I was doing for most of my rounds, leaving me with a gap wedge approach.

Then, I started using the 4-wood. It turns out to be the perfect club.  It is accurate and drops into that window perfectly.  I have hit my window the last 5 times I have played that hole with the 4 wood; a slight draw puts me about 65 yards out; a on-line swing about 45 yards out, and a perfect (unplanned) fade catches a downslope and leave a 15 yard pitch.   I have a ton of confidence in this club.  I could still use the hybrid and get part of the way there, but a slight fade with that club will leave me in a big hole due to shorter carry distance.  I also played a 18-hole course last weekend from the back tees and used the 4-wood on 5 holes off the tee where I didn't want a ton of carry; I needed to land within a 260-280 yard window.  I have also hit it off the deck on long par 5s; even a less than perfect swing, assuming a straight shot, gives me 250 yards I can't get from any other club in my bag. 

I found the key to swinging this club well is being relaxed. I can get a bit tense with my driver, but the 4-wood feels easier and I am more fluid with it.  This is probably why my ball speed is mid to high 150s with the 4-wood and only slightly more with my driver. 

What I did was order a few clubs from GlobalGolf (used) try them out, and keep the one I liked best. There is zero risk as long as you return them during the window. 

I also have a 3-wood (Mizuno ST200) purchased here ,but I find the 4-wood more versatile.  It fills a bigger gap for me. A 3-wood may go further by a few yards but it also is too close to the driver distance off the tee. 

Edited by RoyalMustang
  • Like 2

At my age, 69, I don't worry too much about hitting par5 greens in two. So my 3 iron bent to 20* is just fine for me. It also doubles as my driving iron on short par 4's.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 60S
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 4-SW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Callaway Supersoft/Srixon Soft Feel

I go Driver, 3H.  Being a minimalist player, the 3H offers greater versatility in more situations and is very close to 5W distance ... no need for both.  3W would be a little longer off the tee on tight driving holes, but less consistent from the turf, so the 3H wins (for me).

• Like 1

Minimalist:  TS2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / Vokey 48, 58 / SC NP2

49 minutes ago, nfogle said:

I’ve been wanting to try the Callaway super hybrid. What is your 3 hybrid?

I use the PXG 0317 gen 2 19*. it's perfect for me.

Mavrik SZ TD - Diamana x'17 50S

PXG 0317x gen2 19* hybrid - MMT 80S
PXG 0211 4-SW - MMT 80S
Edison Forged 55*, 59* - MMT 105TX
Golo3 2014 - Pokéball weights
My swing: "something resembling a wet noodle" - My Boss.

I started out this year with no fairway wood, I went driver to a 17.5° Adams xtd super hybrid. Because I'm a club ho, and because my dad has one and likes it, I bought a Cleveland Hibore XL 3 wood off eBay. I love it off of the tee, but merely like it off the deck. As much as I love it off of the tee, it's also possibly the most replaceable because my home course I have little to no need for it. Luckily I don't carry a 3 iron or hybrid so I don't need to get rid of it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rjp217 said:

I’m somewhat in the same boat here. I carry a 9* driver and 15* driving iron. My next club is a 3i which sits at 21*.

Driver - 290

DI - 250

3i - 230

One problem I have is my DI is long but the flight is super low, which has its positive and negatives. It is also very difficult to pick off the turf on a par 5. The other issue I have with this setup is I rarely need my 3i. What I am personally thinking of trying this offseason is removing the 3i from the bag and tossing in a 5 wood. This should solve my issue where I need a higher ball flighted shot with distance and also if I need it off the fairway on a par 5.

Tour numbers.

Which one do you play om?

• Like 3

No fairway woods but technically I have 2 drivers in my bag: a 9.5* TS4 and a 12* 917D2 (turned down to 11.25*).  The TS4 flights lower and favors a fade.  The 917D2 turns over and obviously gives a higher flight.  This lets me take advantage of doglegs on both sides, plus play into or with the wind.

My 3W started gathering dust once I put a 818H2 (19*) in the bag.  I rarely go for par 5s in 2 from outside 240, and the hybrid was more consistent off the tee.  

Yes, its unconventional, but my scores have gotten lower and I get to hit driver more often.  Fun stuff.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, MuskieCy said:

Tour numbers.

Which one do you play om?

????

TM M3 9* (Tensei CK Pro White 70TX)

Cobra SZ 5W (Tensei AV Blue 75TX)

TM P790UDI (Aldila RIP Hybrid Alpha 105X)

Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-5 (KBS Tour 130X)

Mizuno MP18 SC 6-7 (KBS Tour 130X)

Mizuno MP18 MB 8-PW (KBS Tour 130X)

TM Hi-Toe Raw 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

TM Spider X Copper

In my 20's I played all irons even off the tee. Now I'm 42 and play a 3 and 5 wood and sometimes I throw in my 4 hybrid (not technically a wood but close).

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I used to love my 3 wood. Played Titleist fairways all the way from the 975 days up to recent years. Until about 2013 still had a steel shaft in them. 

More recently I find it has less and less of a role. Drivers are just so forgiving these days, and if I truly need a "layup" shot off the tee I'm pulling out the 3 iron (U500) 

I've also reached a stage in my golf game where if I can't reach the par 5 in 2 with a hybrid or less, I just shouldn't be going for it. 

I played 90 holes of golf in the last 4 days and afterward realized I hit the 3 wood exactly ONE time (badly, at that). Can't say that for any other club in my bag. It may be time to re-evaluate the set up. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

11 hours ago, nfogle said:

What hybrid are you using?

It's in my signature.

My go to hybrid as has a late model Tour Edge Exotics, the XCG7 Beta 17* (2H).

It's in my signature, shafted with an Aldila Tour Blue 85H Stiff.

I really like the Aldila Rogue Black in the 85TS flex in my 22*.

It's a mid-high launch shaft, and I will put it in the CBX119.

I will be trying out a more recent Tour Edge Exotics model, the CBX119 in a 17*

Edit to add: I had dropped the 3W from the bag maybe 5 years ago or so, and went to a 4W, at 41.5-42".

I kept it as an alternate tee shot club and it was deep faced enough that I didn't feel confident hitting it off of the fairway, so eventually, I felt that I was losing out by having the longest club in my bag for non-tee shots being a 22* hybrid.

Hence the move to a hybrid, which is a shorter club, and I find easier to hit off of the fairway.

I will also try a shorter length, shallow faced fairway as well, something almost in the range of single length clubs.

40.5" 17* fairway.

So, I'm hoping between shorter length and shallow face, I might have an option for a tee club that I can also hit from the fairway.

Then, I'll have the option to play either/or - 17* hybrid or 17* short shallow-faced fairway.

Edited by geochitown
add background

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Driver, 19° hybrid for me. I've tried so many 3 woods and I just can't hit them. The way I look at it,  I want to have zero doubts with any club in my hands. If I hit a good drive on a par 5 and want to try to reach, I pull the 3 wood out and instantly tense up. 98% of the time I ruin a great drive with a horrible 3 wood. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, nfogle said:

I would love to carry a fairway wood to help me reach long par 5s but it just hasn’t worked out for me. I carry driver then u510 2 iron. I rarely need a fairway wood and when I do I usually end up with a penalty or just not hitting a good shot. My misses with the 2 iron keep me in play I just don’t get quite the distance out of the fairway I need. Anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?

For about 50 rounds of golf I carried driver, 16*, 19* and 22* hybrids. This set up worked well , especially from an accuracy perspective

However, 3-wood from the tee boxes is a strength of my game and I missed having that club to use from  5 or 6 tee boxes each round.

For long fairway shots the 19*hybrid is close enough in distance to the 16* that I don't miss having the 16* within the bag.

If one is a player who likes hitting driver off of 14 tee boxes per round then I don't see a need for fairway woods and having hybrids instead will provide better accuracy for the long shots from the fairway or rough. But if you are a player who likes hitting less than driver from several tee boxes then having a fairway wood in the bag makes good sense.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I was like this for years - went driver straight to my 2i.  Worked pretty well for the most part, but you are definitely leaving out a valuable weapon from the bag. 

For me - finding my current 4W setup (16M2 DF) has been a game changer.  It just has another gear that the 2i does not and also provides another option off the tee.  It honestly can go 90% of driver distance off the tee, so provides a controlled option there.  

Great for long par 5's, short par 4's, or shots where I want to move the ball right to left instead of my normal driver fade.

I recommend finding a setup that works and not leaving a valuable weapon out of the bag.  For me - getting a tour-issued setup with the face cranked open a couple degrees was the ticket