Anyone else not carry any fairway woods?

nfogle

I go driver 2 hybrid then 3 driving iron. For me I know the 2 hybrid will be a better shot than a fairway wood and I have more confidence in it. 

• Like 2

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Driver

17* Hybrid

20* Hybrid

Dont feel that I am missing much. If anything, I would be more interested in a larger strong 3 wood to use as a tee only club.  

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

15 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Driver

17* Hybrid

20* Hybrid

Dont feel that I am missing much. If anything, I would be more interested in a larger strong 3 wood to use as a tee only club.  

I might experiment with this as well. I really hope CPO has a good deal on the super hybrid for Black Friday and I’ll pick up a strong 3 wood just for off the tee. Probably wouldn’t use it much but might be nice to have every now and then 

• Like 1

Any of you think about trying the new Adam’s tight lie?

https://www.adamsgolftightlies.com/?mid=11613492&gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5fmn4F-jANlIiW3So4mhKcpLgFpg-dviSzTdsiKvw-S5UfhPlUVr8MRoC-AIQAvD_BwE

Not trying to sound like a commercial here but my old man game can’t seem to find a 3 wood either. My 18 degree hybrid has been set to 17 to become my “3 wood” though I carry a 3 wood , I never pull it anymore.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I was thinking of possibly ditching but after a fitting my new 3W has become one of my favorite clubs. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 hours ago, nfogle said:

I might experiment with this as well. I really hope CPO has a good deal on the super hybrid for Black Friday and I’ll pick up a strong 3 wood just for off the tee. Probably wouldn’t use it much but might be nice to have every now and then 

Super Hybrid would be a great option. I'm using the 17* Adams Super XTD. I prefer more hybrid like hybrids in general. But on this spot, its like a small fairway wood with better turf interaction and a short shaft. Much easier to find the center off the face. A bad shot turns into something pushed or pulled a bit, but still flying 230-245, versus a 3 wood that I would maybe hit 250 on a great strike, but would be just as likely to top one 50 yards.  

Give me 10 strikes with the 17 hybrid, and 10 with a 15 degree 3 wood, and I reckon the sum of the yards is longer with the hybrid. 

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

This discussion leads me to want to try to remove the 3 wood from my bag, and have a Driver, 2 hybrid at 16/17 deg, and a 2/3 utility/driving iron at 19 deg? I only hit my 3 wood off the tee and that too when I don't feel my driver is co-operating with me. Not at all confident off the turf, and always pull out my hybrid or swallow my pride and lay up. I play a 50, 56, and 58 wedge setup and don't want to give up a wedge in the bag.

Any recommendations for a good utility iron? As my bag from driver to P is all Cobra, was contemplating their King Utility but am open to other brands - don't have any fitters around here except for TaylorMade.

• Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

I only carry a 3 wood for those days when driver just isn't working.  I rarely hit it off the deck; I don't think I've ever put a 3w on a green before, and the bad results either end up OB or a chunked/skulled shot that only goes ~100 yards.  I'm better off playing a par 5 as a 3 shot hole if I have 240+ on my 2nd.  

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, nfogle said:

I’ve been wanting to try the Callaway super hybrid. What is your 3 hybrid?

Go for it. I replaced my 5 wood with a 20* at 40" and I'm not going back.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* : Ventus Black 7X

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

'00 WH Rossie or '22 Phantom X7

Pro V1

Haven't pulled the 3w out in months, although I have been thinking about shortening it. Been rolling with Driver, 17* DI and 19* hybrid then 4-LW. Trying to figure out if the 3W or hybrid would play more and like others say, while i can hit the 3H and 3w far doesn't mean I should on a long Par 5 if I'm not consistent.

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Been playing for 30 years and grew up with FW's.  The past 6-12 months I cannot hit them anymore.  Same with wide irons.  I am consistent, but am a picker of the ball.  I just picked up Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood and 3/4 hybrids from CPO to try out and the hybrids are a miracle.  Hit them way more consistently!  I bought the 3 wood for tee use only on tight holes.

You’re not alone. After struggling with my 3w/7w setup all summer, I booted them and now it’s Driver and 16 degree MacGregor Go Long. I have not found a hybrid or a fairway wood that I can hit more consistently than the Go Long, and I can get 225 out of the 16 degree model. From there, it’s 4-SW. I also have a 19 degree Go Long but it rarely sees any action

Until I got a TEE 3 wood last year I had not carried a fairway wood in close to a decade.

I'm longer than average and never saw the need to hit a 3 wood. If I was ever 250+ out from the fairway it usually wasnt the high percentage shot for me to try.

I have a 2 iron for shorter par 4' tee shots.

So I dropped it for an extra wedge.

I was trending that way some years back when I was only really comfortable with irons off the tee.  Driver was hit or miss, 3W was just as bad, and 2H was hook prone.  It was irons off the tee all the time.  Then I shortened 3W, hit down on it, and found myself hitting it solid.  Then found a reliable driver swing and setup.  Then tried a 5W that has become a favorite.  Now I'm trending the opposite direction and even considering trying a 7W again.

Strong 3W is mainly a low bullet drawable 2nd driver.  5W is like a 2 iron off the tee, and it's my long club off the turf with easy height.  3 iron is still my most comfortable fairway finder, but compared to 5W it's a one trick pony - a really good trick, but it's slowly losing ground to woods now.

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

A couple of seasons ago on a Monday, the starter put me with a young assistant pro and his friend. The assistant pro was preparing for his Player's Ability Test at our course.

He carried a driver, 2H and 4H, then went into irons and wedges. We have four Par 5s, and he had the range to get home in two on the two shorter ones. The hybrids had TourX 90-gram shafts from some company I had never heard of.

He said he forever had trouble with fairway woods, and didn't lose much distance by using hybrids.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

22 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

A couple of seasons ago on a Monday, the starter put me with a young assistant pro and his friend. The assistant pro was preparing for his Player's Ability Test at our course.

He carried a driver, 2H and 4H, then went into irons and wedges. We have four Par 5s, and he had the range to get home in two on the two shorter ones. The hybrids had TourX 90-gram shafts from some company I had never heard of.

He said he forever had trouble with fairway woods, and didn't lose much distance by using hybrids.

Is this the name of the shaft company?

The club was shafted with an XCalibur Tour X 95 R flex shaft that he tipped to play firm.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

@geochitown,

I honestly can't remember the shaft. Would have remembered XCalibur, as I used one in a driver I built a few years back.

And that shaft was Tour X, as in tour stiff, not some regular that got tipped.

Edited by ChipNRun
Add Tour X clarification.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Driver

16* hybrid with steel shaft and loft sleeve

20* hybrid with steel bonded shaft 

I sometimes go back to my 3wood once in a while when I’m striking it well, but typically the 16* turned down to 15* with the Nippon Modus Tour 130S parallel tip, is way more consistent and almost as long. I like the weight of steel for control and feedback on both good and bad swings. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

10.5* Driver 

16* TEE CBX 119 2 hybrid 

19* Srixon H45 3 hybrid 

22* 4i

Same as posted by others: just too inconsistent with 3W, even off the tee. 
I love my 18* 5W, but it’s too close to the TEE hybrid and we’re in the honeymoon phase currently. Thing’s a beast!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Driver, then 2, 3, 4, and 5 hybrids, all Ping G410.

I'm a big believer that the winter off-season is when I should do swing and equipment work, and I spent the winter two years ago seeing if I could relearn hitting a 3w; I couldn't.  So I did a club fitting in early 2019 and put the 2H in play in place of the 3W.  I kept a 5W because I had it in my head that I still needed a bigger head club for layup tee shots, mainly for confidence purposes.

I stayed that way until a playing lesson this past February, when the pro I was working with asked me the very simple question, "Why would you try to master two clubs when one will do the job better anyway?"  At which point the 5W went to the hall closet to await being traded in, and a 3H went in the bag.

I hit hybrids just as far and MUCH more consistently than I do fairways; that's data from Arrcos and Shot Scope, not a guess.  I'm 68, and getting home in two on par 5's isn't in play much anymore, so putting the second shot where I need it to be is the typical strategy for me.  The only advantage of a FW for me is that I hit it higher, but that is MORE than offset by the issue of consistency.

• Like 2

In the beginning I didn't carry woods. It's the opposite now.  I carry 5w, 7w and 9w.

For years, I never found a 3 wood I hit consistently well.   I can now and still don't carry it because ball flight is too low of the deck.  Same thing with long irons. 

I think most people searching for the perfect 3 wood are doing it wrong and should start with a 5w or 7w and add it later.

• Like 1

So I tore my bicep tendon in 2017, and after my recovery I came back to golf, but I lost all my speed. I went from 137mph SS to 89-91 mph SS, So my game changes drastically.  Now I ended up getting my speed back but not to the level it was,(127mph) 181 ball speed.  But for some reason after the injury I could no longer hit Fairway woods as consistent as I once did. Now I'm long enough were I can play a 7200 yard course without them, but miss the ability to have a Fairway in the bag. This leads me to my new setup. I have never hit hybrids well, but I set out to find a hybrid I could carry 265 to fill the gap between my driver and Gapr lo, I found a XR PRO 16 Hybrid. I carry it 275-280 but it flew to flat, so it was great off the tee but I had a GAPR in the bag, so I was on a quest for something I could fly hi into par 5s from 245. I found a XR PRO 20 Hybrid which fly 245-250, perfect gap for me. I pulled the GAPR out and I think I have a great setup to settle on. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, steventoo said:

Similar position here. Driver, U510 1 iron, T100 3 iron, 4 iron, etc. It works for me and the majority of the courses I play. I'd probably use a fairway wood on my home course if I had one, but I'm struggling to think where: driver holes are driver holes, and there isn't anywhere where my 1 iron or 3 iron isn't suitable but a 3 wood might be.

Even when I travel and play longer courses, I don't think I'd be in a significantly better position with a 3 wood off the tee rather than the 1 utility, and same goes for long par 5's - I rarely need or want 3 wood distance from the fairway, and I prefer hitting an accurate iron over a less accurate longer club from a distance.

How is it hitting the u510 1 iron?  Is it easy/hard?  Do you use it off the fairway at all?  What are your 1 iron specs?

Sorry for so many questions! haha.  I currently have a Sim Max 3 wood but I rarely use it.  I was thinking about switching to the u510 1 iron since I never hit the 3 wood off the tee.

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

I sincerely believe getting fit for a primary fairway wood or hybrid is as important as getting fit for a driver and second only to the putter. Too many hit them poorly or not at all.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.