Anyone else not carry any fairway woods?

3 hours ago, Striker Ace said:

I do not carry a driver. I use my 5 wood from the tee and hybrids from the deck.

I think Pinestreetgolf's head just exploded.

• Haha 1

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No fairway woods but technically I have 2 drivers in my bag: a 9.5* TS4 and a 12* 917D2 (turned down to 11.25*).  The TS4 flights lower and favors a fade.  The 917D2 turns over and obviously gives a h

Indeed, many of us are short enough that the rare chance of getting to Par 5's in two really isn't a significant factor in terms of long term scoring impact.  And its not just hacks that are in this s

Was in the same boat then got a G410 3 wood easiest 3 wood ever to hit and plenty long 

Posted Images

I am looking at swapping out my 3w and 3H and just playing Driver/DI/UI/Irons due to having a steep AOA. Anyone else have a similar setup?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

1 hour ago, geochitown said:

I think Pinestreetgolf's head just exploded.

Who Whiney Piney???? We could not be that lucky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

On 12/8/2020 at 5:25 AM, mootrail said:

I have the Original One Mini Driver 13.5°, which is a mini driver and not a fairway wood (I carry a driver as well).  My next club is a 19° 4 Hybrid.

My swing plane is not suited to fairway woods and have always played DIs.  I just switch from a DI to a hybrid this past year.  My JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid is hotter then any DI I've had; much better from the fairway and still a great tee club.

Incorrect. The original one is indeed both a driver and fairway wood. Look it up. I use the 13.5° easily off the deck. It is effectively a 2 wood. It has been built with a steel sole plate for that reason. It is the most versatile club I have ever owned. It also means I can carry an extra club elsewhere in the bag, by having the driver and fairway wood in one. Very forgiving too.

Edited by Clubhoe

3 hybrid works great, especially if you’re confident in your driver. For me there are very few holes that require the distance of a 3 wood specifically driver or hybrid get it done. I tried to carry a driver, fairway, hybrid but there wasn’t a need for all three. Tight dog legs are more 3 hybrid or 5 iron length for me.... not to mention that I buried the lead, I can’t hit a fairway off the turf to save my life 😂

• Like 2

I use both a fairway and a hybrid -It's all about scoring. If you're using what's best for you that is the ideal. Hybrid....Fairway -it's about playing your best There's no right or wrong answer.

• Like 2

Ping G400LST 8.5* TPT 14 LKP LT LW Proto
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 
Callaway Super Hybrid 20* Pro Orange 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Super Peening Blue X
Vokey SM7 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
Byron Morgan Proto DH89
Pro -V1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

No fairway woods for me, I have an exotics cbx 5 wood I bring in every now and again as it is fantastic.

currently go driver, 16 degree exotics hybrid, 20 degree hybrid , 4 iron. 

driver 280-300, 16 degree 240-260, 20 degree 220-230, 4 iron 200-215

i put the 16 degree in play as a fairway finder for me when driver not cooperating. Considered driving iron and loved the exs, may be an addition at some point. My 16 hybrid is great though. 
can you tell I like exotics fairways-hybrids-driving irons

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DonOmar said:

3 hybrid works great, especially if you’re confident in your driver. For me there are very few holes that require the distance of a 3 wood specifically driver or hybrid get it done. I tried to carry a driver, fairway, hybrid but there wasn’t a need for all three. Tight dog legs are more 3 hybrid or 5 iron length for me.... not to mention that I buried the lead, I can’t hit a fairway off the turf to save my life 😂

I'm in the same boat. Chunk my 3W 160 yards or just hit my 3H 220-225 and lay up?

While it was in my bag I chased that "maybe I'll catch this one clean" feeling with the 3W until I finally dumped it out of the bag.

Taylormade SIM 9.0 - Tensei Orange 60S

Titleist U510 2 iron - LZ 6.0

Cobra F8 OL 3 Hybrid - Rogue 75S

Wilson/Staff V6 Forged 4-PW - TT S300S

MD5 Jaws - 50°

Cleveland RTX 588 - 54°/58°

Wilson/Staff 8802 Milled

On 12/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, Fairway14 said:

Yes, and if the "situation" is that the lie is sloped or grassy or sitting down in a bit of a depression then a long club is the wrong club.

Again, it is situational. I have an easier time hitting either of my fairway woods out of 4" rough than I would a hybrid or long iron. An open face and steep swing can let you utilize that big sole of a fairway wood to great advantage. That is part of the reason pros put in more fairway woods at the last US Open. You may see an advantage personally of playing it a different way, but I think the fairway wood "open face chop" shot is not that difficult overall.

Edited by b.mattay

M5 9.0, Grafalloy White Blue 65X

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 (B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

Ping Hoofer/Sun Mountain Pushcart

10 minutes ago, Lobber said:

I currently have a 3 wood BUT after picking up a Callaway Super Hybrid 20 degree and crushing it I am thinking of getting rid of the 3 wood and getting a lower lofted Super Hybrid.  These things are monsters and so easy to hit off deck or tee.  Easy to elevate.  Proving to be a real game changer for me

How much distance difference is there between your 3-wood and 20* Super Hybrid shots ?

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Lobber said:

I currently have a 3 wood BUT after picking up a Callaway Super Hybrid 20 degree and crushing it I am thinking of getting rid of the 3 wood and getting a lower lofted Super Hybrid.  These things are monsters and so easy to hit off deck or tee.  Easy to elevate.  Proving to be a real game changer for me

I'd love to find a 17 degree Super Hybrid and bring it down to 16; but they're super rare to find in lefty.

Taylormade SIM 9.0 - Tensei Orange 60S

Titleist U510 2 iron - LZ 6.0

Cobra F8 OL 3 Hybrid - Rogue 75S

Wilson/Staff V6 Forged 4-PW - TT S300S

MD5 Jaws - 50°

Cleveland RTX 588 - 54°/58°

Wilson/Staff 8802 Milled

41 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

I'd love to find a 17 degree Super Hybrid and bring it down to 16; but they're super rare to find in lefty.

Super Hybrid is a legit fairway killer. Adams Super XTD is a cheaper option that is easy to find lefty. Get the XTD Ti version at 17 degrees and its just as long as a 15* 3 wood and so much easier to hit from the deck. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Cleveland UHX 5 utility 23*

6-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

2 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

How much distance difference is there between your 3-wood and 20* Super Hybrid shots ?

I hit the hybrid farther!  I am getting anywhere from 230 to 250 plus with the 20 degree. I can sometimes get that off the deck with

my 15 degree 3 Wood set to 16.5 but the Super HB is easier to hit and elevate

7 hours ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

I'm in the same boat. Chunk my 3W 160 yards or just hit my 3H 220-225 and lay up?

While it was in my bag I chased that "maybe I'll catch this one clean" feeling with the 3W until I finally dumped it out of the bag.

Amen! Same here. Sometimes it’s just not worth it.

Also, on a somewhat related note. After I ditched the fairway, a friend made my foursome play a round with 1 club. And it’s crazy that scores aren’t all that different.

That kind of validated the decision in a way, because I learned that there’s value to getting around the course. And any regular shot is better than a chunk or slice into the water.

• Like 1

I haven't carried a fairway for years, just based on the courses I play I don't need it off the tee, and my appraoch shots on par 5s don't call for a fairway wood.  Usually 200-240 for long appraoches which for me is a hybrid.   If I'm 250-270 for a 2nd shot on a par 5, its probably because I had a bad drive so I'm likely laying up.

Instead of a 3 wood I've carried a 64 degree.  Rather than using a 3 wood once every couple of rounds, I'd rather have my 'get out of jail free' wedge.  I probably use it 2 or 3 times as much as I would a 3 wood. 

• Like 1

This year is the last time I’m carrying a fairway wood; use it so seldom and to good effect even less often. Set make-up for ‘21 will look like this:

8* 46.5” driver

12* 44.5” driver

18* hybrid 

21 and 24 utility iron

5-9 irons 

46, 52, 58 wedges

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

IMO, if players that don't play fairways had fairways that were equally as shaft-long as their hybrids, there wouldn't be an issue.

What's an 18º hybrid, roughly 41"? Build someone a 41" 3-wood, and they'll love it.

It's not the head, folks.

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 1

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, hybrid25 said:

I think that asking if anybody else doesn't carry a fairway wood is like asking the question "do you hit it far enough that you don't need to carry a fairway wood? " The great majority of golfers who play the game generally do not hit the ball far enough that allows them not to carry a fairway wood. I will use myself as an example in that my drives are about 230 and my 4-hybrid is about 190. That's too much of a gap and needs to be filled in with a fairway wood. I carry a 17-degree 4 wood for the distances in between my driver and hybrid. There was a day when I didn't have to use a fairway wood but those days are long gone. I also think those days don't exist for the majority of golfers who play the game. If it were not for Fairway woods and hybrids my game would suffer. Along with my 4w I carry four hybrids up to 31° , then I start with my 7-iron. Lol, getting old. 

By that logic, none of the pros should carry 3W. And yet EVERY pro carries a 3W. Nobody hits the ball so far that they never have use for a 3W. 

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Mizuno Hmb 2i 4i Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

IMO, if players that don't play fairways had fairways that were equally as shaft-long as their hybrids, there wouldn't be an issue.

What's an 18º hybrid, roughly 41"? Build someone a 41" 3-wood, and they'll love it.

It's not the head, folks.

There is certainly alot of truth here, but when manufactures are producing them at 43.25, you cant just cut off 2+ inches and call it good. Really messes with the swingweight, lie, and the profile of the shaft. And there is also the issue of turf interaction off the deck. Some people have more confidence in seeing the larger head down by the ball, but for other's it is a major deterrent and if you are steep its just more mass that can hit the ground before the ball. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Cleveland UHX 5 utility 23*

6-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

43 minutes ago, uglande said:

By that logic, none of the pros should carry 3W. And yet EVERY pro carries a 3W. Nobody hits the ball so far that they never have use for a 3W. 

Okay, good point

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I posted earlier that I don't carry a fairway wood, and the main reason is that I have a hard time finding a 3 wood that launches high enough off the deck for me when I do have to hit one into greens on long par 4s.  I'm getting a Cobra F9 5 wood that I'm going to turn down to 17* and install a Nunchuk shaft that I have in the closet. 

If this works out based off of distance off the deck and the tee, this will be my 4 wood, then I'll figure out the gap between my 4 wood and 5 iron.  I recently got 2 X Forged Utility irons in both 21* and 24* and I still have my 17* and 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrids.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- shaft TBD 

Fairway:  M3 3HL with Diamana Whiteboard 80s

Hybrids: 19* Adams 19* Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 3 X Forged Utility (Proforce VTS 104s); 4 iron X Forged Utility, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

I've had seasons where I carry both a 3w and a 5w, but that setup rarely sticks. Currently gaming two callaway super hybrids, a 17* bumped down to 16* and a 20*...this has by far been my most functional setup in a while. I wish the heads were a tad more compact, but the forgiveness and length fits my gaps perfect. I go 4-P after that and don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

Update: played yesterday with out any fairway and only my trusty JPX 921 FlyHi hybrid with steel PXLZ shaft with great results. I noticed that in the past several rounds I was only using my ST190 3TS as a tee club and once a round from the deck with mixed results. Shot below my handy mainly from nicely executed second shots with the hybrid that put me in good yardage windows all round. Something to be said about having driver and then a club you can count on for 230 off the deck time and time again. Confidence was there and yesterday was a great start in proving to me, to continue on this path. 

I suspect I am a Driver, hybrid, 4iron player from here on out. 

• Like 2

I often think about leaving the 3W out of the bag, it's not a club that I hit often, maybe 2-3 times max a round and usually after a shorter than usual drive.  Problem is, I am about 50/50 with it, sometimes I'll hit a great shot that lands on the green for a birdie putt and others I'll hit it fat or thin and end up with a 3rd shot that's much worse than if I had just laid up with a hybrid.  I picked up a Super Hybrid so I'm going to try that out in place of the 3w.  I hit the 3w great when I practice but on the course it is so inconsistent.  

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response