Anyone else not carry any fairway woods?

13 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

I often think about leaving the 3W out of the bag, it's not a club that I hit often, maybe 2-3 times max a round and usually after a shorter than usual drive.  Problem is, I am about 50/50 with it, sometimes I'll hit a great shot that lands on the green for a birdie putt and others I'll hit it fat or thin and end up with a 3rd shot that's much worse than if I had just laid up with a hybrid.  I picked up a Super Hybrid so I'm going to try that out in place of the 3w.  I hit the 3w great when I practice but on the course it is so inconsistent.  

Let us know for the SH works for you. I want to pull the trigger but need to reconfigure my bag as it would be similar in loft to my DI

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No fairway woods but technically I have 2 drivers in my bag: a 9.5* TS4 and a 12* 917D2 (turned down to 11.25*).  The TS4 flights lower and favors a fade.  The 917D2 turns over and obviously gives a h

Indeed, many of us are short enough that the rare chance of getting to Par 5's in two really isn't a significant factor in terms of long term scoring impact.  And its not just hacks that are in this s

Was in the same boat then got a G410 3 wood easiest 3 wood ever to hit and plenty long 

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Let us know for the SH works for you. I want to pull the trigger but need to reconfigure my bag as it would be similar in loft to my DI

I bought the SH used, head was like new but the shaft was heavier than I prefer so I just picked up a lighter shaft for it to see if I like it better.  

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

I got the F9 5 wood to the range and on the monitor this weekend, and the first impressions are that it's promising.  Distance is longer than my 15* and 17* Super Hybrids off the deck with a higher ball flight.  I'm unsure about the Nunchuk I tossed in there.  I like it, but I have a Diamana D+ 80s on the way to try out as well. 

I did have to add a bunch of lead tape to the bottom between the rails.  The tape did help with the feel of the head and the Nunchuk.  It felt too light at first.  Once I get the feel right with the tape and the shaft, I'll add some hotmelt to the head so I can get rid of the tape.  

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- shaft TBD 

Fairway:  M3 3HL with Diamana Whiteboard 80s

Hybrids: 19* Adams 19* Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 3 X Forged Utility (Proforce VTS 104s); 4 iron X Forged Utility, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

I don't like occupying the bag with two fairway woods, just one. I changed out my 3 & 5 some years back to just a 4w. It saves a space for the other end of the bag and gives me just one fairway wood to 'learn', if you will, instead of two. Right now it is a Mav 16.5* 4w that will probably be in my bag for 5 years or so, if I last that long. I'm 65 now. har har.

• Like 2

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Anyone else think its a mental thing?

When I first started playing golf, I hit my FWs great, then had trouble for a couple of years, but now Im back to hitting it great. I think it had to do with the idea in my head of trying to sweep it, almost having to make a perfect swing, where I feel a driver/iron gave me more margin for error. (dunno if thats already been discussed)

3 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

Anyone else think its a mental thing?

When I first started playing golf, I hit my FWs great, then had trouble for a couple of years, but now Im back to hitting it great. I think it had to do with the idea in my head of trying to sweep it, almost having to make a perfect swing, where I feel a driver/iron gave me more margin for error. (dunno if thats already been discussed)

That’s exactly how I feel. With a DI, same swing as my irons whereas having a different wood swing seemed foreign 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Tracked by Arccos

I can't hit woods accurately or consistently. R&R is missing.

I hit 1-iron of the tee better then 3-wood and use C300 2H of the fairway. Look i am not a pro but i want to hit my shots straight.. control my despersion.. some might hit 3w better then 7i ... but thats just not me. Something about the mass of 3-wood plays trick on my mind. 

Cheers... play your own game!

Nike Vapor Fly Driver - 9deg

PXG 1i - 15deg bent to 13deg

Wilson C300 2h - 17 deg (16 to 18 deg depending the course)

Irons Titleist DCI Gold (1992)  - 3i (21deg) to PW (48deg)

Callaway MD4 SW - 54deg

Callaway MD4 LW- 60deg

Putter - Odyssey #9

Miss Cleveland RTX2 wedges as they got worn out. 

IMG_0065 jpg.jpg

IMG_0068 jpg.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, nfogle said:

I would love to carry a fairway wood to help me reach long par 5s but it just hasn’t worked out for me. I carry driver then u510 2 iron. I rarely need a fairway wood and when I do I usually end up with a penalty or just not hitting a good shot. My misses with the 2 iron keep me in play I just don’t get quite the distance out of the fairway I need. Anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?

Same situation as you. Go from driver to Mizuno HMB 3 iron and Taylormade Rescue 3 hybrid. Iron for tee shots and hybrid for fairways and rough. 

Recently started experimenting with 4 woods and after some testing there was a very clear winner that has reshaped that end of my bag. The Taylormade SIM TI 5 wood turned down 2 degrees. Super easy to launch high, very forgiving, and long. I also like that it’s a shorter shafted “4 wood.”  

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I may be in the minority on this topic, or this thread anyways. But I do carry a 3w and I do use it quite a bit. I can get it out there around 280-290 so for me it definitely works off the tee. Off the deck on long par 5's it works well too. 

My driver is a problem club for me and I hit my 3w more consistently and I can work it more. When hit well the driver obviously puts me in better position. It's just not as often as I'd like. 

I've always hit my 3w well.

But anyways that's my 2 cents. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, gevans24 said:

I may be in the minority on this topic, or this thread anyways. But I do carry a 3w and I do use it quite a bit. I can get it out there around 280-290 so for me it definitely works off the tee. Off the deck on long par 5's it works well too. 

My driver is a problem club for me and I hit my 3w more consistently and I can work it more. When hit well the driver obviously puts me in better position. It's just not as often as I'd like. 

I've always hit my 3w well.

But anyways that's my 2 cents. 

When I started to figure out my how to hit my  fairways well it did create an issue where I could chase down my driver numbers. I lowered the tee height to 2 1/2" and worked on that sweeping upwards motion. You're not far from what you need to do may just need some slight adjustments with stance and grip for driver. 

Edited by jafstar
On 1/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, jafstar said:

When I started to figure out my how to hit my  fairways well it did create an issue where I could chase down my driver numbers. I lowered the tee height to 2 1/2" and worked on that sweeping upwards motion. You're not far from what you need to do may just need some slight adjustments with stance and grip for driver. 

Was talking to my buddy and he said it's probably something small. If I'm hitting my 3w well then your driver probably isn't far off. I'll do some tinkering

Tried for many years to use woods. Not happening. So I bought some 2nd hand Cobra Biocell hybrids.  A 2-3 hybrid, 3-4 hybrid & 4-5 hybrid.  Bam. They work.  No matter how hard I tried I had to realize that woods where not for me. Before those Cobra hybrids I had some Snake Eyes hybrids with steel shafts and those were awesome too just very old so I switched to Cobra. 

• Like 2

Over the years my like/dislike for fw woods has changed back and forth. I used to fade the ball which made fw woods easy to hit. I changed up my swing to a slight draw and that made fw's more difficult to hit for me. Over the past season, I have learned again how to hit the fw's with a little draw to straight shot. I only use a 4w though, I don't go to the 3w.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

66yo, 5.5 GHIN.  Carry Adams xtd 16* hybrid stiff shaft great for punching out of trouble and long,low,straight, Callaway Apex 18* and callaway Apex 20* hybrids. These will get me to or in wedge range safely from most lies all the time. So much more versatile for me than a fairway and for the number of times  I might get there in 2 which is occasionally these are a softer play in my hands.Also play some dogleg par 5’s where driver off tee to much and will run thru, one of these will put me where I need to be reliably for those holes and they cover the long par 3’s of 200+ yards or I will choke down if needed. Rest of set 5-PW,50,54,58, Scotty mallet

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a function of where and how you play. This thread has been loaded with anecdotes, but I have seen a few themes:

• Hybrids that are 18º or less tend to be about 10 short of an equivalent fairway wood.
  • All things equal, hybrids have a little more versatility in lies, and a somewhat lower trajectory.
  • Also all things equal, fairways have an advantage of descent angle.

As for how they play, it appears that many here are "all in", insofar as it's D-H-H-H, or D-F-F-F. Obviously many mix. And right now, I mix as well. My chickenstick is my hybrid, because my miss with a 3w is a terrible fade. That miss has everything to do with the club being 3" longer. Lose the hips, suddenly you're swiping to make contact. Fore right!

I'm going to explore going 16h/19h. When I got back into playing 12ish years ago, I did 17/20/23, and it worked ok, but they weren't "different" enough. Just always pulled the 20. Now, there's a purpose… the 16 can still get 220m, and the 19 can be a solid 195m club. No need to murder my 4-iron to my detriment; that stays 180m max now.

I think I'll keep the 3-wood as an occasional option, but a fairway finder at 200-210m with some versatility is looking a lot more useful than a club needing a decent lie for 205-235m. I know the Broadie approach, and I'm not abandoning it. I just know my own game, and the mashed 3-wood isn't likely enough to give me a half-decent shot from off the fairway, and I won't pull it for off the tee; just pull driver.

All this makes me wonder how much different a 40.5" persimmon 3/4 wood of old differs from a modern 2/3 hybrid...

Edited by karstens_ghost
clarity
  • Like 1

410LST 8º, 2h 15.5º, 3h 20º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:31 AM, LeftyMatt24 said:

I go driver 2 hybrid then 3 driving iron. For me I know the 2 hybrid will be a better shot than a fairway wood and I have more confidence in it. 

I ended up putting a 3 wood back in the bag. I don’t typically use it but once every two rounds. It’s really for a long par 5 at my home course second shot. I use my 2 iron as my backup tee shot. 

TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

Tsi2 18 Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX 

ZX Utility 18* ADDI 95X

4 Taylormade M2 x100

5-PW CB 801 X7 

SM8 50.12 at 51 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

RTX ZipCore 55 and 60 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125

Scotty X 5.5 

Srixon XV and Titleist -ProV1X

So just to update my use of fairway woods in this thread from an earlier post.  I still have my Super Hybrids in the closet because of how well the Cobra f9 5w (turned down to 17*) has been overall.  The only issues I'm having with it is that it's a bit spinny for me at times, especially into the wind.  I know that I'll lose distance into the wind, but it's a big difference in how much the wind affects it compared to my 19* hybrid.  

I ordered a 16.5* M3 fairway head off of ebay that will hopefully be here this week, and I'll be tossing the same Diamana Whiteboard 80s in that that I've been using in the Cobra F9.  If I don't like how the M3 plays off the deck, I'll continue to use the Cobra because of how consistent it's been off the deck for me.   

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- shaft TBD 

Fairway:  M3 3HL with Diamana Whiteboard 80s

Hybrids: 19* Adams 19* Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 3 X Forged Utility (Proforce VTS 104s); 4 iron X Forged Utility, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro:  All shafted with Modus 125s
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with Modus 125 Wedge shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*. 

Putter: White Hot OG 7s or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Well, I've used the last 4 rounds, and several range sessions, to test various fairway woods to see if I can kick the Exotics XCG 2h out of the bag.  Everything from 13 to 17* lofts, at lengths between 42 to 43" (I have a lot of clubs in the "stable").    In those rounds, I think I only hit one FW shot from the fairway where I thought "that was probably better than I could have hit with the 2h," and had many shots where I wished I had the 2h in the bag, because it is so much more versatile out of dodgy, uneven lies, etc.   The 2h stays in the bag.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
  • 2 weeks later...

Former 3.6 index. Got back into the game after a few busy years away. Use to carry 3 & 5 woods before break. Didn’t want anything to do with hybrids and just could not hit them. I’ve gotten my swing back and although I am hitting same yardages throughout the bag, I do not seem to have the same carry. My dads a diehard Adams fan and had some 9031 heads laying around. Needless to say after shafting them with TT steel shafts I now carry a 16, 20, 23, & 26 9031 Hybrid. Yes, even a 26. 16 is about 8 yards Short of 14.5 3 wood, 20 is 5 yards short of 18 5 wood. 23 and 26 are perfect long iron replacements. Best dispersion I’ve ever had from top end of my bag. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, choche said:

Former 3.6 index. Got back into the game after a few busy years away. Use to carry 3 & 5 woods before break. Didn’t want anything to do with hybrids and just could not hit them. I’ve gotten my swing back and although I am hitting same yardages throughout the bag, I do not seem to have the same carry. My dads a diehard Adams fan and had some 9031 heads laying around. Needless to say after shafting them with TT steel shafts I now carry a 16, 20, 23, & 26 9031 Hybrid. Yes, even a 26. 16 is about 8 yards Short of 14.5 3 wood, 20 is 5 yards short of 18 5 wood. 23 and 26 are perfect long iron replacements. Best dispersion I’ve ever had from top end of my bag. 

I like your decision, but you have a long way to go to catch me and my 27*, 30*, and 33* hybrids. To me, hybrids are easy to hit and I have gotten some amazing distance out of my old 22* hybrid, similar to a 5w distance. The 33* is trial to start the new season, but I probably will be very satisfied with it. I think too many golfers stick with long iron too long who would be better off going the hybrid route.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Just picked up a 16* Adams XTD Ti hybrid head.  Can't imagine it will outperform the Tour Edge XCG 16* in the "3-wood" spot, but it is a cheap experiment.  It's adjustable, so it will be interesting to see how it plays at 14.5*.   Screaming low fades I would imagine.  

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 16* Hybrid with Proforce V2 86 
Cobra Baffler T-Rail 7-wood with GD YS-6+
Adams Pro Mini 23* and 26* Hybrids w/RIP Tour 115
Adams XTD Forged 6-PW w/RIP Tour 115 
Vokeys: SM4 52F-12, SM4 56M-11, WedgeWorks 60T-04, all w/RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

I never saw myself playing anything but 3wood & 5wood at the top of the bag, and now I’m rocking a 3w and two hybrids. 

If I could find a hybrid or utility iron that had 3 wood distance that thing would be gone in a heartbeat but it just hasn’t happened yet. I don’t hit it often but when I need it, there’s nothing else that can fill that spot

5 hours ago, Kid B said:

I never saw myself playing anything but 3wood & 5wood at the top of the bag, and now I’m rocking a 3w and two hybrids. 

If I could find a hybrid or utility iron that had 3 wood distance that thing would be gone in a heartbeat but it just hasn’t happened yet. I don’t hit it often but when I need it, there’s nothing else that can fill that spot

Super hybrid might be your cup of tea

• Like 1

Tracked by Arccos