Newish Golfer - Help me choose a driver!

Hey all,

As the title states, I'm "new" to the world of golf. I played a handful of times throughout my childhood, but never owned my own pair of clubs. At the beginning of the pandemic I purchased a cheap pair of clubs off amazon (strata) and immediately fell in love with the game. I played roughly 40 rounds this season and was able to bring my handicap down to 17. I'm fairly confident with my mid and short game, but I struggle with a slice due to an over the top swing off the tee. Which is why I decided the first piece of equipment I'd like to upgrade is my driver - and the sales going on right now are hard to pass up. 

My research continues to bring me to draw-biased drivers, such as the Mavrik Max and the SIM Max-D. Although both seem like great drivers, I'm wondering if I'd be better suited with an adjustable driver that allows me to set to a draw setting rather than one that is entirely draw biased? From my reading it sounds like you can essentially make the SIM identical to the SIM MAX D by adjusting the weight to the heel. Is this true? Is one superior to the other? I know the draw biased drivers have more of a closed face, so I worry that rather than correcting my over the top swing I'll increase it. Am I right in this thinking? 

Anyone have any suggestions? A friend of mine swears by titleist and recommends the TS2, but I'm not certain if it's suitable for someone with my handicap. What do you guys think? Thanks so much in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ping, anything. I still play rounds with guys and see G, G30, 400. 

or, Step #1 Buy the driver or club that you want and go enjoy some golf. 

Hey all,   As the title states, I'm "new" to the world of golf. I played a handful of times throughout my childhood, but never owned my own pair of clubs. At the beginning of the pandemic I

If you are a new golfer I would go with mavrik max.  For me it's the most forgiving driver I have ever hit and it's also very long even on mishits.  Putting the heavier weight in heel might straighten out the slice as well.  The ts2 and sim max d are also good but I don't think either of them are as forgiving as the mavrik max in my experience.

A draw type driver can definitely help a bit but it's not a cure lessons will be. With that said a draw type driver will also help but if you fix that slice the driver can become a hinderance. This is kinda why I like a driver with more adjustability so the G410 Plus is great for that plus the forgiveness of it as well. Definitely a driver I can see in my bag for a long time. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

2 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Anyone have any suggestions?

My suggestion is no driver.

Play 3-wood, 5-wood, hybrid, iron etc... off the tee boxes until you are striking consistently straight shots. 

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

12 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

My suggestion is no driver.

Play 3-wood, 5-wood, hybrid, iron etc... off the tee boxes until you are striking consistently straight shots. 

I'm not necessarily adding strokes using a driver, as I typically stay ib just left of the fairway. The majority of my shots are taken on the green 🙂 

30 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

A draw type driver can definitely help a bit but it's not a cure lessons will be. With that said a draw type driver will also help but if you fix that slice the driver can become a hinderance. This is kinda why I like a driver with more adjustability so the G410 Plus is great for that plus the forgiveness of it as well. Definitely a driver I can see in my bag for a long time. 

That's what I'm worried about. Would you say using an adjustable weighted driver and shifting all weight to the heel is equivalent to driver with built in draw-bias? 

Just now, Brofessor said:

That's what I'm worried about. Would you say using an adjustable weighted driver and shifting all weight to the heel is equivalent to driver with built in draw-bias? 

In some cases it can be similar but a lot of Draw type drivers have more weight in the heel than usual. With the Ping you can always buy a heavier weight and move that to the heel position then if you clean up your swing move it if possible but a lot of guys just keep it in draw setting. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I'm going to suggest you take lessons.  You've already identified that you've got an over the top swing and if you communicate that with an instructor, they can prepare lesson material for you prior to your first swing and help you make progress from there.  Even with a closed face and a heel side center of gravity (aka Draw type drivers), it doesn't change the out to in swing path that will tilt the ball on its axis at impact and create a slice.  A closed face reduces how open it is at impact, but doesn't address the "path" part of the equation.

When drivers are 'forgiving' they refer to retention of ballspeed and reduction of gear effect on mishits, keeping your shot farther and straighter.  That, however, implies a relatively neutral swing path, which isn't something equipment will fix. Even if you do have a driver that keeps you in bounds, it's very likely you're giving up a lot of distance (and thus strokes).  Even buying a driver at a discount ($300-350 range) would pay for several lessons.  In the long run, it'll help your game, especially if you're really enjoying golf, you'll be itching to hit the range and work on your lesson material.  Best of luck!

• Like 1

Ping G/G400, cannot go wrong here,  and forgiveness in spades 

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

Sound advice here, guys, thanks. I impulsively pulled the trigger on a mavrik max last night from CPO for $230. With such a significant discount i decided I'm comfortable with sacrificing shipping fees if It doesn't work for me. I couldn't believe the price?

Really curious what everyone thinks about the TS2. Is this suitable for mid-high handicap? One thing I've learned thus far is information across different club reviews varies significantly! 

13 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

Sound advice here, guys, thanks. I impulsively pulled the trigger on a mavrik max last night from CPO for $230. With such a significant discount i decided I'm comfortable with sacrificing shipping fees if It doesn't work for me. I couldn't believe the price?

Really curious what everyone thinks about the TS2. Is this suitable for mid-high handicap? One thing I've learned thus far is information across different club reviews varies significantly! 

I got my father a TS2 w/tensei pro blue 3 months ago and he loves it.  He's a low digit single handicap but still loves the little bit of forgiveness it provides him compared to his previous driver.  I agree with three boxers that lessons would help more than a new driver for you.  Over the top move is a killer for accuracy and distance.  Once you learn to swing out to out, you will add ball speed and your dispersion will improve dramatically as well. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

As others have said, lead off with lessons and see if you can shake the over-the-top. You want to purge OTT early in your playing days as it will hurt your entire swing in terms of distance and accuracy.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Any facilities nearby where you can test out a bunch?  If you’re near a major metro area, you should have a few.  

I hated the feel of the Ping 410, but really wanted to like it when I was doing some research.  Loved the Mav, OTOH.  I think you’ll be quite pleased with it if the shaft works for you.  

I’ll 4th lessons.  You don’t know what you don’t know at this point.  

LOL...totally see the birth of a future club Ho, welcome to the club OP!

Agree on lessons first.  Solid striking > any marketing gimmick.  Also, I may get lambasted for this, but I’d hold off on fittings early on if you’re price conscious at all.  Your swing will likely change as you progress, so a fitting now may not work for you later as you get better,.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, dhen9 said:

Ping, anything. I still play rounds with guys and see G, G30, 400. 

I just purchased a Mav Max off of CPO for a great price, but would have to agree with the quoted statement. Ping builds very hittable drivers.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

You need more than a pair of clubs. 😉

Get lessons and get at least a rudimentary fitting - unlikely you are going to happen upon “the” driver and adjustability is overrated IMO when you really don’t understand cause and effect and your own swing. Too many inexperienced folks lost in the weeds of self-analysis which done right really is the exception. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Consider cutting down the shaft of whatever driver you go with too.

I've never been straighter than I have with my 43.5 inch Rogue driver.  My slice is almost gone (maybe once a round) and most misses I have now are straight bullets left, its not a hook just a pull.  Trying to fix that with some lead tape and changing my set up.  It worked good yesterday, had one OB ball off the tee.

37 minutes ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

I’ll just point out again amateur driver distance peaked 15 years ago.

Buy used, 12 degrees of loft, no adjustments, neutral face, regular flex.

Eschew “tech.”

I'm not so sure of that but maybe so, although what has changed on driver's is the forgiveness they offer with today's technology.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

Step #1 Take some lessons from a qualified instructor. If you’re like most folks, video is important. People learn better when there is visual as well as aural instruction.

Step #2 When purchasing a single piece of equipment or an entire set, get fit. 

Step #3 Practice and have regular “check ups” with your instructor. Your progress will be rewarding! 

All the best.

27 minutes ago, Moonlightgrm said:

Step #1 Take some lessons from a qualified instructor. If you’re like most folks, video is important. People learn better when there is visual as well as aural instruction.

Step #2 When purchasing a single piece of equipment or an entire set, get fit. 

Step #3 Practice and have regular “check ups” with your instructor. Your progress will be rewarding! 

All the best.

or,

Step #1 Buy the driver or club that you want and go enjoy some golf. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

lol, it does sound a bit risky doesn't it. Although, I'm a 14 hc and I am not that consistent off the tee. How does a fitter fit someone who has erratic results continually? Personally, I know the basics of what I want, flex, kick point, moi, so I pretty much fit myself and go with that. If a golfer is bogie or worse, I don't think a fitting is going to make a big difference. Get the stock shaft in the flex and kick point you like and go and 'rock it'! 

Edited by hybrid25

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

appreciate everyone's advice. Unfortunately, with covid in my state (MN) getting a fitting right now is nearly impossible. With the discount I received on the Mavrik I figure the resale value will surpass my purchase price, so if I end up going a different route once I get fitted I won't feel 'stuck' with the club. FWIW, I did use the PING online fitting process to get a rough idea. 

Thanks for the warm welcome.

High lofted driver say around 11-12 degrees. And whatever fits your eye. And NOT super light. Being beginner you want to feel the clubhead. I would not get an adjustable, just confuse you more. You could go used and get a couple or three. If you have a local golf store with a bay go wack a few different ones around. See how they feel. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4