MB/CB combo to GI

I've been playing Titleist MB 718's (P-7) CB (6-4) TMB (2) for the last 2 seasons.. yesterday purchased a set of Srixon Z545 iron heads (P-4) to trial this winter. Going to put them on X100's and play them the next few months to see about a long term switch. Current GHIN is +.5 but have been striking it like a 7 hdcp the last 3 months. Anyone have any experience making this kind of transition? Any results out there? 

I'm excited to HOPEFULLY make the game easier. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What type of answer did you expect ? If you are a +.5 index player you certainly already know that the only true test of new or different equipment is to play rounds of golf.

O.K. for approximately 50 rounds of golf I played Ping's G700 model (large head , game improvement distance iron). I learned it was fun to swing 8-iron from yardages where I was accustomed to swinging

This is a great point that is often overlooked and applies to hybrids too. Yes I like hybrids but a miss with a hybrid can be disastrous i.e. lost or out of bounds vs a miss with a long iron that come

1 minute ago, MilesS said:

I've been playing Titleist MB 718's (P-7) CB (6-4) TMB (2) for the last 2 seasons.. yesterday purchased a set of Srixon Z545 iron heads (P-4) to trial this winter. Going to put them on X100's and play them the next few months to see about a long term switch. Current GHIN is +.5 but have been striking it like a 7 hdcp the last 3 months. Anyone have any experience making this kind of transition? Any results out there? 

The only way to know if particular equipment is a good fit for your game is by playing rounds of golf.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

12 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

What type of answer did you expect ?

If you are a +.5 index player you certainly already know that the only true test of new or different equipment is to play rounds of golf.

You're exactly right - my question does not concern myself. I'm asking if anyone ELSE has any experience making the change to GI irons from MB/CB? What was the experience like? Did it change the way you approached certain shots? Etc. 

No where in my original post was there any reference to how the new equipment might work for me. By me including my own information (ghin, current clubs, new clubs) I was trying to provide context. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MilesS said:

You're exactly right - my question does not concern myself. I'm asking if anyone ELSE has any experience making the change to GI irons from MB/CB? What was the experience like? Did it change the way you approached certain shots? Etc. 

No where in my original post was there any reference to how the new equipment might work for me. By me including my own information (ghin, current clubs, new clubs) I was trying to provide context. 

O.K. for approximately 50 rounds of golf I played Ping's G700 model (large head , game improvement distance iron). I learned it was fun to swing 8-iron from yardages where I was accustomed to swinging 7 or 6-iron. The negative was that consistent carry distance control was not nearly as good with the large head distance irons. Also, playing low trajectory shots was much harder to do with a large head compared to a small head iron.

And, from sloped, sandy, grassy, or other less than ideal lies I found the large head irons more challenging to square at impact than smaller head irons.

• Like 3

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

8 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

O.K. for approximately 50 rounds of golf I played Ping's G700 model (large head , game improvement distance iron). I learned it was fun to swing 8-iron from yardages where I was accustomed to swinging 7 or 6-iron. The negative was that consistent carry distance control was not nearly as good with the large head distance irons. Also, playing low trajectory shots was much harder to do with a large head compared to a small head iron.

And, from sloped, sandy, grassy, or other less than ideal lies I found the large head irons more challenging to square at impact than smaller head irons.

I second this, there is a trade off with the larger head clubs especially if you like to flight the ball. 

I had the same issues with a set of AP2’s, side slopes were the worst. Swapped to CB’s but still wish I had put in the MB’s in the shorter clubs.

Remember, form is temporary...

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9.5 (adjusted to 11) - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Testing - Titleist 818H2 (19) & 816H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Silver & Black X
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, MilesS said:

What’s a 7 HC strike the ball like? Tried the switch several times but always revert back to my ole trusty blades. Just don’t like the ball what I call jumping all over the place when it leaves the face. Much more comfy with a blade. I’m a 7.2 currently and putting holds me back. Down from a 12 at 1st of year though. 

Edited by boggyman
2 minutes ago, Bye said:

. Swapped to CB’s but still wish I had put in the MB’s in the shorter clubs.

As an experiment I spent a year rotating sets of MP 63, MP15, MP 69, MP 4, and MP5, playing approximately a dozen rounds of golf with each.

All sets had the same specs, including shaft and grip type, so it was a fair comparison. 63,15,69 are cavity back models, the 4 and 5 are muscle back designs.

Of this group of five iron sets four had essentially the same head size and the MP 5 was a larger head size. My conclusion was that the 63, 69, and 4 models played essentially the same for me, that is no discernible difference to shot distances, shapes, trajectories, or impact sound (feel).

The MP 15 had a distinctively more muted impact sound (feel) than the others, which must be due to the tungsten weight plug that design has within the cavity. The MP 5 was the most challenging for me to square at impact, which I attribute to its larger head size.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

19 minutes ago, boggyman said:

. I’m a 7.2 currently and putting holds me back.

Which putter model are you playing ?

My putting improved significantly when I switched from a modern heavy head to an older style relatively light head putter.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

I have never played an MB irons but playing a newer model of the Srixon Z5x5 irons I can tell you they are a lot hotter and they spin less which should be obvious so coming into the green you might have to change your approach but that again is more trial and error I guess. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I just switched from a set of Cobra Cb/Mb's to a set of Mizuno 919 tours.  They're easier to hit than the Cobras and I'm hitting more greens in regulation and not scrambling near as much.   I don't have the time to dedicate to the game to carry a set of blades any longer.  Even when I played in college 7 days a week I played a set of MP30 Mizuno's , MP15 Mizunos and finally a set of MP5 MIzunos before trying the Cobras out. 

I'll never get rid of either the MP15's or the MP5's.    The 919's I've enjoyed playing and are forgiving enough that I only need to hit balls once a week to maintain some sort of strike consistency. 

Taylormade M3 9*  Fuji Velocore 6x 

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

1 hour ago, MilesS said:

jeeeeze that's the first response I get on my first post

Was asking if anyone had any experience switching from players irons to GI irons. Not if "its a good fit for my game..."

If I may try to translate. 

I think what he means is that this type swap is not an automatic “ game is easier deal” . Some who try it find the game gets harder.  For various reasons. A lot of times it’s the very expectations you have.  That the game will be easier , meaning a relatively quick scoring drop.  It usually doesn’t work that way.  

I thinks that’s what was meant. To know you have to try and play them.  Many of us have tried.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

30 minutes ago, boggyman said:

What’s a 7 HC strike the ball like? Tried the switch several times but always revert back to my ole trusty blades. Just don’t like the ball what I call jumping all over the place when it leaves the face. Much more comfy with a blade. I’m a 7.2 currently and putting holds me back. Down from a 12 at 1st of year though. 

Still striking it ok with the Titleist's but just not hitting it solid. Misses are usually short due to poor contact - chipping and relying on the putter to score. Generally will have 27-31 putts but with the recent iron misses, if the putter is not hot it's a high score. With the cold coming, I thought it was a good time to experiment with the friendly irons and stronger static lofts. Maybe by March I will be back with the MB/CB combo.. we will see. 

• Like 1

So this is why it matters for each person and can be different for each person.  I tend to strike the ball if I miss towards the toe.  The longer the iron the further towards the toe my misses can get, so FOR ME, longer blade length is a no no.  However I also spin the crap out of my irons, even when I played old blades, or old cast clubs from the 90'2 and 2000's.

For you it may be the same or it may be completely different.  I have a buddy that is a tremendous iron player.  He can hit MP-14's, he can hit Ping 710, he can hit, TM M6 irons, he can hit Titleist CB's and anything in between.  It does not matter to him one little bit, once he figures out his distance and spin with each iron he is good to go.  He is a low to mid spin guy, so going to springy faced long and mid irons is a big time no no.  He is playing a mixed bag at this time.  4 and 5 iron G410. 6, 7, 8 are i210, and the 9 and PW are iblades or blueprints I believe.   He said the G410's were the most forgiving iron he could find that still gave him enough spin in the longer irons. 

There are no such thing as hot spots, but there is such a thing as having barely enough spin with a blade, and then going springy face and having not enough spin on pure shots, to where a little bit of water or a smidge of grass that before dropped you from OK spin to barely enough, now with a springy club drops you from barely enough to not enough and this is what is perceived as a hot spot.  Since the original Rblades from TM, there has been no proof of a specific spot on any major manufacturer that produces super low spin from one spot on the face in any testing that I can find anywhere.

Players with not enough spin are playing irons that reduce spin, to where from dry grass with clean grooves everything is OK, shots mostly hold the green.  Then as soon as the grooves aren't cleaned and a little water/dew or grass gets in there balls fly further and bound over greens.

• Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black

• 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black   
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*

• Irons = Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Ping i210 5 - PW on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

As an experiment I spent a year rotating sets of MP 63, MP15, MP 69, MP 4, and MP5, playing approximately a dozen rounds of golf with each.

All sets had the same specs, including shaft and grip type, so it was a fair comparison. 63,15,69 are cavity back models, the 4 and 5 are muscle back designs.

Of this group of five iron sets four had essentially the same head size and the MP 5 was a larger head size. My conclusion was that the 63, 69, and 4 models played essentially the same for me, that is no discernible difference to shot distances, shapes, trajectories, or impact sound (feel).

The MP 15 had a distinctively more muted impact sound (feel) than the others, which must be due to the tungsten weight plug that design has within the cavity. The MP 5 was the most challenging for me to square at impact, which I attribute to its larger head size.

Interesting report! A couple comments:

1. MP-69 are not CB, it‘s a Muscleback design

2. MP-15 have Titanium inserts, not Tungsten, to move weight to the outside 

Now my experience, to provide at least some contribution:

I am a 19 hcp in my third season of golf.

I recently switched from MP-15/33 to a cavity back design (Maltby DBM Forged) as my main set. I certainly notice the forgiveness on slight mishits and it is nice to have. They’re just easier to hit.
One of my regular playing partners is crushing it with his P790‘s currently. It is pretty obvious that he hits more greens than me just because they are so forgiving. We are pretty comparable in skill, and sometimes it seems like an unfair advantage, he puts an ok swing on the ball and it flies nicely, while I get punished a little more. 
Another buddy is killing it with Cally Steelhead XR‘s, same thing.

I used to be skeptical, but I’m a believer in GI technology. Would be interesting to see if it helps a plus cap, too.

29 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I

I used to be skeptical, but I’m a believer in GI technology. Would be interesting to see if it helps a plus cap, too.

The current golf industry has many types of club head designs available for sale, some large, some small heads, and that's great. I think the problem is when equipment company employees and marketing departments claim that certain clubs are "best" for particular skill levels. 

The reality is that some players hit consistently better shots with large head irons and others are consistently better with relatively small head irons. And my observation is that there is no correlation  to skill level.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

3 minutes ago, MilesS said:

I get the new heads this Saturday. Going to jump on a trackman next Friday to get some numbers and then will play 2 rounds Sat-Sun. Will come back with some scores/stats from own personal experiment. Looking forward to it! 

Looking forward to it too.  This is a favorite topic of mine. One which I don’t think there is a set rule for all.  

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

35 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

The reality is that some players hit consistently better shots with large head irons and others are consistently better with relatively small head irons. 

Well I like smaller heads better, so I’m looking for both, small head, big forgiveness. I just purchased some New Level 902‘s, which are fairly small but forgiving. 

Edited by LukeDonaldsTiger

You are obviously a good player, problem I have always found going the forgiving route is the misses become unpredictable. They dont magically make the face square to path so an offline shot goes further offline and spin rates can be less consistent. If your recent poor strikes still hold a good line then the extra forgiveness on thins can definitely help.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I have never played an MB irons but playing a newer model of the Srixon Z5x5 irons I can tell you they are a lot hotter and they spin less which should be obvious so coming into the green you might have to change your approach but that again is more trial and error I guess. 

Apologies for thread jacking but I see you are playing a combo of the Z585 4-7 and 785 irons 8-PW. I'm keen to get the new ZX 5/7 irons in a combo set but I'm still undecided where to split the set. I'm only planning to get 5-PW and can't decide between splitting the irons at the 8 iron 5-7, 8-PW as you have or splitting the set at the 7 iron so 5-6, 7-PW. Looking at the lofts the 7 iron is actually more like a 6 iron compared to my current gamers so that had me leaning towards the ZX5. Curious to hear your experience. Would you stick with that combo if you were buying the clubs again? 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 5-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 50°/10°, 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

4 minutes ago, DixieD said:

You are obviously a good player, problem I have always found going the forgiving route is the misses become unpredictable. They dont magically make the face square to path so an offline shot goes further and spin rates can be less consistent. If your recent poor strikes still hold a good line then the extra forgiveness on thins can definitely help.

This is a great point that is often overlooked and applies to hybrids too. Yes I like hybrids but a miss with a hybrid can be disastrous i.e. lost or out of bounds vs a miss with a long iron that comes up short of the target but still in play. 

• Like 2

Just now, kiwihacker said:

Apologies for thread jacking but I see you are playing a combo of the Z585 4-7 and 785 irons 8-PW. I'm keen to get the new ZX 5/7 irons in a combo set but I'm still undecided where to split the set. I'm only planning to get 5-PW and can't decide between splitting the irons at the 8 iron 5-7, 8-PW as you have or splitting the set at the 7 iron so 5-6, 7-PW. Looking at the lofts the 7 iron is actually more like a 6 iron compared to my current gamers so that had me leaning towards the ZX5. Curious to hear your experience. Would you stick with that combo if you were buying the clubs again? 

I split it based on what the fitter told me at the time. As time went on and me being more comfortable with the 785 I kinda wished I went 585 from 4-6i then 7-PW with the 785, I mean I can always just buy the 7i in 785 but it's not a big deal. In the future if I stick with Srixon which I probably will based on performance I'll probably do 4-5i in the ZX5 or whatever the model is and 7-PW in the more players iron. Even at my high teen handicap these are not hard irons to hit.

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

33 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Well I like smaller heads better, so I’m looking for both, small head, big forgiveness. I just purchased some New Level 902‘s, which are fairly small but forgiving. 

My personal opinion from playing and observing others is that relatively small heads with a deep cavity back is a great functioning design concept suitable for all skill levels ,from Tour player to beginner. Iconic iron models from 30 years ago, such as the Ping Eye 2 and Tommy Armour 845 were of this concept. 

Sadly, once companies started using computers to design club heads the small head-deep cavity back combination was eradicated in favor of only over sized heads.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

55 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I split it based on what the fitter told me at the time. As time went on and me being more comfortable with the 785 I kinda wished I went 585 from 4-6i then 7-PW with the 785, I mean I can always just buy the 7i in 785 but it's not a big deal. In the future if I stick with Srixon which I probably will based on performance I'll probably do 4-5i in the ZX5 or whatever the model is and 7-PW in the more players iron. Even at my high teen handicap these are not hard irons to hit.

Thanks Matt, appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Kiwi

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MilesS said:

Still striking it ok with the Titleist's but just not hitting it solid. Misses are usually short due to poor contact - chipping and relying on the putter to score. Generally will have 27-31 putts but with the recent iron misses, if the putter is not hot it's a high score. With the cold coming, I thought it was a good time to experiment with the friendly irons and stronger static lofts. Maybe by March I will be back with the MB/CB combo.. we will see. 

Gotcha. How much you played in those 3 months? I play my irons bent weak coming from an old set of WS blades. Ordered my new set 2 * weak to add a tad bounce too. Putting kills me for whatever reasons. Thanks for responding and good luck in your search. 

Edited by boggyman

I've done this twice in the past 10 years or so and each time, I end up back with some sort of player's iron.

You'll find out pretty quick that "easy" only applies to the confidence looking down at a massive clubhead. Spin will drop and holding firm greens will become like your 4i/5i now even with the 8i/9i in the GI set. Contact will probably feel decent on most shots, but while one will go the right distance, the same feel will go 10+ yards farther on the next. On the plus side, really crap strikes will travel well so as long as you miss straight - kinda nice.

The closest I ever got to keeping something like this was the Nike Covert Forged 2.0s. They were amazing irons and felt like a gd dream on pure strikes. Still miss them sometimes. To try and combat the inconsistency, I bent the lofts weak and flattened them a bit - reduced some offset that way, too. It was fine, but like I said, just got tired of "oh baby be right" only to see it fly the green.

I'm not a plus but have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a few times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1