Why don’t more tour players play TaylorMade golf balls?

I think the TP5 and TP5X are great golf balls, equal to the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Some would say better. I wouldn’t argue.

So why don’t more tour players play them? I’m not talking about their contract players like DJ and Rory. I’m talking about the ball free agents. Ping guys, Mizuno guys, PXG guys, etc. The one exception I know of is Justin Rose.

And please don’t tell me it’s because Titleist pays guys to use their ball. I’m sure TM would pay as much or more to increase their tour ball count.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At PGA Tour sites all the players use the ball they play with as practice balls.  So that statement is incorrect.   Although, OEM's would like their players to use their ball (if they have o

I suggest you go to a PGA event when covid allows...You must not watch must golf either on tv, it can be seen several times when players go grab their sack of range balls on the table labeled with eve

The Range Balls at Pro venues are different according to the player's needs? I strongly doubt that.   When the Pros go out to the course for a practice round, or 2, sure those balls are

Posted Images

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Are there stats showing that nobody on tour is playing Taylormade, or you just don't hear of anyone playing Taylormade?

I chose a Taylormade Project (a) as one of my test balls. I've never played a Taylormade ball and that one seemed to fit the bill.

First of all I didn’t say nobody on tour is playing TM. I don’t know of any stats. I’m just asking the question.

I do know two things. One is if tour players we’re switching to TM balls we would see TM promoting the fact. The other is when I see close ups of golf balls on tour TV coverage I don’t see any TM except staff players.

There are three reasons that I’m aware of. There are certainly more. From least to most important IMO -

At tournaments, the practice balls are V1’s and V1x’s. You see mentioned regularly that using the same ball consistently is at least as important as the ball itself, and I would agree from personal experience.

Players using non-TM equipment are absolutely dissuaded from using TM balls. Sorry, that’s the way it is, and it makes total sense for companies to do that. It would be economically suicidal for for a club (and ball) maker to have their clubs used with a TM ball. It would infer that not only were their brand ball grossly inferior, but that their clubs weren’t competitive without using TM balls.

V1’s and V1x’s are more consistent in flight and spin across your club set than the TP5 family. And that is what TM has worked diligently (and successfully) to achieve. The main goal of the 5 layer design is to differentiate the ball’s flight characteristics between clubs. Played back to back across several rounds, the differences are quite obvious, at least to me. Many will find the assistance, or optimization provided by the TM products to be of value. Others may find that consistency is of greater value.

• Like 1

One thing I've always heard is Titleist gives away alot of balls to top amateurs. Then players dont like to change and stick with what they know as they turn pro. I feel that is Titleist plan for clubs and balls. They really sponsor alot of lower level or up and coming guys who I assume are cheap or free. JT or Jordan Spieth are good examples they go Titleist, then become top players and never want to change.  I would also guess Taylormade doesn't try very hard to push their balls to pros not under contract also.

• Like 3

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Evenflow Black 75g 6.0 | Ping G410 19* Tour 85x | Srixon z785 4-PW C-Taper Lite X Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60SBlue Slate, Modus 125s | Lajsoi DD201 Longneck | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

I think the TP5 and TP5X are great golf balls, equal to the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. Some would say better. I wouldn’t argue.

I have not played the TP5X but have found the TP5PIX ball seems to help my putting and short game play. I have a tendency to get "ball bound" over the chips/pitches/putts and the multi colored soccer ball appearance of the PIX think helps avoid the "ball bound" syndrome.

For full shots from tee to green I think all the current premium balls are great with little difference among them, including Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, Srixon etc...

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Titleist figured out how to build a reputation - simple as that. As other posters have indicated, Titleist supports the competitive game at a low and grass roots level. They sponsor tons of local club pros and people who truly know about the game. Any young, serious player who comes up through the ranks is going to know Titleist products. 

That early influence leads to long term rewards.

Other manufacturers have tried to do the same thing, but they failed. 

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

There are three reasons that I’m aware of. There are certainly more. From least to most important IMO -

At tournaments, the practice balls are V1’s and V1x’s. You see mentioned regularly that using the same ball consistently is at least as important as the ball itself, and I would agree from personal experience.

Players using non-TM equipment are absolutely dissuaded from using TM balls. Sorry, that’s the way it is, and it makes total sense for companies to do that. It would be economically suicidal for for a club (and ball) maker to have their clubs used with a TM ball. It would infer that not only were their brand ball grossly inferior, but that their clubs weren’t competitive without using TM balls.

V1’s and V1x’s are more consistent in flight and spin across your club set than the TP5 family. And that is what TM has worked diligently (and successfully) to achieve. The main goal of the 5 layer design is to differentiate the ball’s flight characteristics between clubs. Played back to back across several rounds, the differences are quite obvious, at least to me. Many will find the assistance, or optimization provided by the TM products to be of value. Others may find that consistency is of greater value.

Your first point is false...Tour guys on the range pick what company ball they want to practice with (usually the ball they play). 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, madeintheshade said:

I am guessing other brands have better ball sponsorship offers. Tiger Woods uses Taylormade clubs, but is paid to use Bridgestone balls. I see way more TP5s out on the course than Bridgestone, so I’m guessing TaylorMade doesn’t feel the need to pay Tiger for the ball sponsorship. 

Or if you have the chance to sign Tiger you don't really fuss over small details that he wants. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

like @Socrates said above, this is incorrect.  At Tour events, the manufacturers send practice balls for their players to the venue. Players warm-up/practice with the ball they play with.  Even after Nike withdrew from the hardgoods business, they were still sending practice balls to venues where for one of their top players who still played the RZN Tour Platinum ball.

• Like 1

I think it's because Titleist dominated the amateur ranks for so long that if you have a contract without a ball deal you play Titleist.

It's the same way with Taylormade drivers.  For players without a club or driver deal the overwhelming majority play Taylormade drivers.

If you want to see what really performs the best look at what guys are playing when they don't have a contract that pays them to play certain clubs or balls.  I don't have the numbers or the energy to find them but I'll bet you'll find TM drivers, Pro V1 balls, and Vokey wedges top the counts.

I’m guessing they saw Rickie change to Taylormade balls and his game went immediately into the toilet lol.

• Haha 1

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

Comes down to quality of golf ball, performance familiarity and tee up money.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

The Range Balls at Pro venues are different according to the player's needs?

I strongly doubt that.

When the Pros go out to the course for a practice round, or 2, sure those balls are the makers' give-aways.  But on the Range?

Not what i saw when i watched the Pros warming up on the range.  Every ball of balls came from the same giant basket. No sorting. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
16 minutes ago, jobin said:

I strongly doubt that.

When the Pros go out to the course for a practice round, or 2, sure those balls are the makers' give-aways.  But on the Range?

Not what i saw when i watched the Pros warming up on the range.  Every ball of balls came from the same giant basket. No sorting. 

Guaranteed that anyone who is anyone is getting the exact ball they play on the range.  They are sorted when they are picked up.  These guys are all using some sort of Flightscope (or whatever) and there is no way they are going to hit balls looking at launch and spin rates with a ball they don't use.

• Like 3

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

25 minutes ago, jobin said:

I strongly doubt that.

These people must just be posing for a picture and not actually sorting balls...

1573224762299.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, jobin said:

I strongly doubt that.

I assure you, the players get the exact balls they play.  Including older versions, non-retail, etc.

image.jpeg.1e061f550d6a3ac2cc4e7200f81a9d17.jpeg

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, jobin said:

I strongly doubt that.

exactly @EricWGolf and @PhlashPhace 

When my club had the Scottish Open, I saw all the balls being sorted! 

• Like 2
  • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

It's marketing and a bit of snob factor that their poop doesn't stink and neither will your game if you have a Titleist...  They are a ball company, and they sell more range rock Pinnacles than anything else.  TM has been producing very high quality balls for the better part of 15 years or when ever the OG TP Reds and Blacks were out (before the morons switched the color code on the balls the next generation...).

Just like Titleist has fought the label of being only for better players for so long.  The masses will believe what ever nonsense the marketing companies feed them.  You have to remember that the wrx population is but a tiny sliver of reality.

To those that actually didn't believe that the Pro's didn't have basically w/e ball they wanted at each and every event...  Really...  

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

9 hours ago, jholz said:

Titleist figured out how to build a reputation - simple as that. As other posters have indicated, Titleist supports the competitive game at a low and grass roots level. They sponsor tons of local club pros and people who truly know about the game. Any young, serious player who comes up through the ranks is going to know Titleist products. 

That early influence leads to long term rewards.

Other manufacturers have tried to do the same thing, but they failed. 

Interesting, I would bet that to a huge percentage of golfers, the ball really makes very little if any difference. Like me for instance, at my level I am merely trying to hit it straight in the direction of the green. I am just starting to feel some confidence that I can put the ball on the green from 100 or so yards out. I really don't think a 5 dollar ball vs. the Top Flite I found in the bushes last round is going to help me.

But at the scratch and better level which is what you are taking about, they are looking for every last bit of advantage they can find. And if Titleist is giving them away to those guys, loyalty down the road is no joke.

10 hours ago, DaltonSTL said:

One thing I've always heard is Titleist gives away alot of balls to top amateurs. Then players dont like to change and stick with what they know as they turn pro. I feel that is Titleist plan for clubs and balls. They really sponsor alot of lower level or up and coming guys who I assume are cheap or free. JT or Jordan Spieth are good examples they go Titleist, then become top players and never want to change.  I would also guess Taylormade doesn't try very hard to push their balls to pros not under contract also.

Why wouldn’t TM give balls to top amateur players and push them to pros not under contract. Seems like good marketing, since you cite it as a key to Titleist success.

1 hour ago, flaghunting1987 said:

I suggest you go to a PGA event when covid allows...You must not watch must golf either on tv, it can be seen several times when players go grab their sack of range balls on the table labeled with every major ball brand...

Yep. Just like this commercial when RF switched to a TM ball.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ITEF/taylormade-tp5-welcome-to-team-taylormade-featuring-rickie-fowler

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

TaylorMade making a good ball is great news for me, even though as I said above I don't think it matters to a hacker like me. When I am alone on my little executive course and there is nobody behind me I mine for balls in the water hazards that are low due to the drought. It seems the last few weeks I am finding 4-5 out of 10 balls being TaylorMade. 

6 hours ago, EricWGolf said:

They do.  TaylorMade became an official sponsor of the AJGA a few years ago. 

You know who was the sponsor several years ago? Nike. Didn't work for them either. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

9 hours ago, dalehead said:

Why wouldn’t TM give balls to top amateur players and push them to pros not under contract. Seems like good marketing, since you cite it as a key to Titleist success.

No clue, from what someone said after me though it seems as if TM is now working their way towards doing that. They mentioned what I'm guessing is a smaller college getting TM stuff now. As far as pros go I would bet it just plays second fiddle to getting guys into new TM woods. Plus, they might know that it'll be impossible to get some guys off a Pro V1 unless it comes with a big payday.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Evenflow Black 75g 6.0 | Ping G410 19* Tour 85x | Srixon z785 4-PW C-Taper Lite X Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60SBlue Slate, Modus 125s | Lajsoi DD201 Longneck | Taylormade TP5x Yellow