Jump to content

Callaway X Forged CB - Initial Thoughts


Recommended Posts

I ordered 5-PW built to my specs and they arrived last week after a month or so wait time.  Cally was great in that they overnighted them to me at no cost due to the wait time.  I finally got them on the course today and wanted to share a few thoughts.  In terms of the build I decided to go with the stock MMT shaft in an effort to see if I can have a little less wear and tear on the body. 

 

So here are my initial thoughts:

 

Looks - very nice shape with thin top line and minimal offset.  Very appealing at address.  Some have commented about the weight on the back of the cavity but frankly they dont bother me and I dont notice them at address. 

Feel - Softest irons I have hit in a long time.  Softer than anything I have hit from Cally including Apex/Apex Tour and Taylormade (P770).  

Workability - no problem flighting the ball, full swing, half swing, etc.

Forgiveness - Pretty forgiving for this class of iron.  Not T300 forgiving or Mavrik forgiving but pretty darn forgiving.

Distance - Good distance for lofts as these are more traditional lofts.  I normally hit my 7 iron 165 and these were right in the 160-165 range and very predictable with no fliers.

 

One round in and I am sold on this combo.  I normally play steel but am really happy I went with the MMT shafts as the dispersion, launch, distance, etc. are as good or better than steel.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Minimal offset to my  eye.  Perhaps not yours but at least you got a laugh out of it.  Apparently does not take much to make you laugh

Minimal offset ?!?!🤣

Dreaming for the day callaway comes back with an 07 endo x forged.  Sigh.    

Posted Images

What weight of the MMT did you choose?

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lobber said:

95 which is the stock offering in Stiff.  Coming from KBS Tour which is 120 gm weight class it is taking a little to get used to but in a good way as I am slowing my tempo a bit and making better contact. The TX is 105 and the Regular is 85gm

Thanks.  I was hoping you had the option of the 105S as well.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Link to post
Share on other sites

These came in the local store, so was able to get a hands on feel and look at them.  They look 15xs better in hand then in pics, and they really sit behind the ball well.  The PW....unfortunately it still looks as goofy in person as it does in pics.....curious if that always looks wonky or if you get used to it?  

  • Like 1

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lobber said:

I ordered 5-PW built to my specs and they arrived last week after a month or so wait time.  Cally was great in that they overnighted them to me at no cost due to the wait time.  I finally got them on the course today and wanted to share a few thoughts.  In terms of the build I decided to go with the stock MMT shaft in an effort to see if I can have a little less wear and tear on the body. 

 

So here are my initial thoughts:

 

Looks - very nice shape with thin top line and minimal offset.  Very appealing at address.  Some have commented about the weight on the back of the cavity but frankly they dont bother me and I dont notice them at address. 

Feel - Softest irons I have hit in a long time.  Softer than anything I have hit from Cally including Apex/Apex Tour and Taylormade (P770).  

Workability - no problem flighting the ball, full swing, half swing, etc.

Forgiveness - Pretty forgiving for this class of iron.  Not T300 forgiving or Mavrik forgiving but pretty darn forgiving.

Distance - Good distance for lofts as these are more traditional lofts.  I normally hit my 7 iron 165 and these were right in the 160-165 range and very predictable with no fliers.

 

One round in and I am sold on this combo.  I normally play steel but am really happy I went with the MMT shafts as the dispersion, launch, distance, etc. are as good or better than steel.

 

 

Minimal offset ?!?!🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lobber said:

I have and actually owned them as part of an Apex Combo set.  These are much softer IMO

Forgiveness?

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Red / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Forgiveness?

My opinion only but pretty forgiving and similar to others in the class like T100 and P770.  I stuck the ball well yesterday and was making good contact.  So we will have to see what happens on days where my ball striking is not on.  And unfortunately that happens fairly often

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they work out for you as that may have been my next pick but I pulled the trigger on something else with no regrets. Not a big fan of the plate with screws on the back as I know you can't see them at address. I heard you would be able to change the plates to something heavier but what would the chances be of the plate becoming loose as only time will tell. Interesting choice of shafts that you pick as I'm really loving my UST Recoils. I've always been either a SteelFiber or Recoil fan with Recoil shafts being my favorite. I don't think those shafts were offered. Glad you enjoy them as I'm sure they will sell well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I hope they work out for you as that may have been my next pick but I pulled the trigger on something else with no regrets. Not a big fan of the plate with screws on the back as I know you can't see them at address. I heard you would be able to change the plates to something heavier but what would the chances be of the plate becoming loose as only time will tell. Interesting choice of shafts that you pick as I'm really loving my UST Recoils. I've always been either a SteelFiber or Recoil fan with Recoil shafts being my favorite. I don't think those shafts were offered. Glad you enjoy them as I'm sure they will sell well.

I was concerned about the look of the plate initially but now that I have them in hand I dont notice them and they don't bother me.  I pre-ordered on the first day that I could pre-order directly from Callaway and they took almost a month to get!   And the issue was they did not have the right weights in stock for my build.  Apparently the heads come without the weight and then they add them at the factory.  I am playing tomorrow and Saturday and will report back.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Despite the craziness of the year I am thankful that I can at least escape a bit by coming to this site and playing golf.  Stay healthy everyone

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 3:18 AM, jly said:

Did you ever play the X Forged '18? I picked up a set earlier this year and love them. Not looking to replace but curious how they compare.

X-forged 18 looks cleaner and feels  better in my opinion. Cb 21 is a little more forgiving. I played 18 last season, tried cb 21 but was turned off by its looks. I now play Apex pro dot 19.  
 

 The looks comparison of apex pro dot 19, x-forged 18, and CB 21: 

B86D2DB8-6FA7-4B3B-BD48-EAF19C12939A.jpeg.c0e18f115f13c45f7833676f1d904761.jpegA105B602-1B5D-49F5-9F10-EE893A6EEE9B.jpeg.d3b70e5e36924931b993cc8d1232ecf4.jpeg

Edited by golfer55082
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

My clubs came in last week and did some testing, so far I'm pretty impressed.  I was expecting they would be shorter than the Apex CF19's given the more traditional lofts and less forgiving.  In comparing the 7 irons from each set on a GC2 I found that distance is very close on well hit and off center shots.  CF 19's might on average be a few yards longer, but the dispersion was much better on the X Forged CB.  I wasn't getting as much backspin on the X Forged CB's so I'm going to do some more testing today.  

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played with mine twice and been to the range with them for extensive hitting several times.  I have hit every iron in the set (5-PW) enough times to get a handle on playability.  I am coming from the Apex Pro 19 irons.  I am really loving the X Forged CB.  They are marginally longer in distance than the Apex Pro irons (about half a club), but that could be due to the shaft.  Mine have the PX IO 6.0 (110g) and the Pros have the TT Elevate Tour shafts (stiff) in them.  The ball flight is what I would expect from these.  The feel is outstanding.  Although feel is subjective, they feel softer to me than the Pros.  They do sound a little different at impact, but not in a bad way.  Like any player cavity backs they give you a little help with hits closer to the toe, but not like game improvement irons.  They are keepers!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jimb said:

I have played with mine twice and been to the range with them for extensive hitting several times.  I have hit every iron in the set (5-PW) enough times to get a handle on playability.  I am coming from the Apex Pro 19 irons.  I am really loving the X Forged CB.  They are marginally longer in distance than the Apex Pro irons (about half a club), but that could be due to the shaft.  Mine have the PX IO 6.0 (110g) and the Pros have the TT Elevate Tour shafts (stiff) in them.  The ball flight is what I would expect from these.  The feel is outstanding.  Although feel is subjective, they feel softer to me than the Pros.  They do sound a little different at impact, but not in a bad way.  Like any player cavity backs they give you a little help with hits closer to the toe, but not like game improvement irons.  They are keepers!!!!

I didn't want to wait for the PX IO shafts (backorder until March / April) so I went with the KBS C Taper Lite 105, which are the same shaft as I have in the Apex CF 19's.  I think they are great irons and believe once I get the backspin numbers up the carry numbers should go up.    

  • Like 1

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, bubbagump said:

These came in the local store, so was able to get a hands on feel and look at them.  They look 15xs better in hand then in pics, and they really sit behind the ball well.  The PW....unfortunately it still looks as goofy in person as it does in pics.....curious if that always looks wonky or if you get used to it?  

 

I agree. Something about the toe shaping is off. 

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent another hour on the GC2 with the X Forged CB.  Seems the winter layoff had my swing a bit off and I was not maintaining posture during the downswing which was causing me to hit the ball slightly thin.  Once I fixed that the backspin numbers went up, still not as high as I'd like them, but to a range I'm not that concerned.  I also was pleasantly surprised with the distance, despite the traditional lofts these are carrying just as far as my Apex CF-19's. 

I have another session tomorrow to test a few different golf balls, todays testing verified the TP5x generates greater backspin than the Tour Response for me.  

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a set of '13 X Forged I wish I'd have kept.  Great all around set of clubs.  The X Forged does seem to have a touch more offset compared to the Apex Pro's even though they're the one piece CB compared to multi material but i could be wrong about that.

 

I think these newest ones would look sweet in the cavity if you could strip out that X Forged CB writing or at least take out the paint fill.  Just seems odd to me like it's the wrong font or something.  I know it doesn't affect playability but it just bothers me.

 

More importantly I still wish Callaway would release its players irons together.  I don't like how they release new Apex MBs and X Forged CBs in the fall and then wait 6 months to release the new Apex Pro's.  If you're a combo set kind of person I'd rather test it all together.

  • Like 1

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cmatthews77 said:

I had a set of '13 X Forged I wish I'd have kept.  Great all around set of clubs.  The X Forged does seem to have a touch more offset compared to the Apex Pro's even though they're the one piece CB compared to multi material but i could be wrong about that.

 

I think these newest ones would look sweet in the cavity if you could strip out that X Forged CB writing or at least take out the paint fill.  Just seems odd to me like it's the wrong font or something.  I know it doesn't affect playability but it just bothers me.

 

More importantly I still wish Callaway would release its players irons together.  I don't like how they release new Apex MBs and X Forged CBs in the fall and then wait 6 months to release the new Apex Pro's.  If you're a combo set kind of person I'd rather test it all together.

I agree with your statement on the 2013 X-Forged irons.  They were the best irons I ever owned.  Unfortunately they got so beat up from use I moved on to the Apex Pro 19.  One of the big differences in appearance to me is the PW in the new X Forged CB compared to the Apex Pro irons.  There seems to be slightly more offset in the PW in CB.  I don't mind it at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmatthews77 said:

I had a set of '13 X Forged I wish I'd have kept.  Great all around set of clubs.  The X Forged does seem to have a touch more offset compared to the Apex Pro's even though they're the one piece CB compared to multi material but i could be wrong about that.

 

I think these newest ones would look sweet in the cavity if you could strip out that X Forged CB writing or at least take out the paint fill.  Just seems odd to me like it's the wrong font or something.  I know it doesn't affect playability but it just bothers me.

 

More importantly I still wish Callaway would release its players irons together.  I don't like how they release new Apex MBs and X Forged CBs in the fall and then wait 6 months to release the new Apex Pro's.  If you're a combo set kind of person I'd rather test it all together.

I get the back of the X Forged CB's aren't great looking but at address nothing is really visible so I don't really care.  I think they are a great compromise between blades and GI irons in that they are forgiving but more traditionally lofted with better dispersion.  

I think Callaway has confused their product lines but initially, I believe Apex was their distance players iron line, while the current Mavrik and Big Bertha 21 their GI / SGI distance irons and Epic was their high tech irons.  The introduction of X Forged CB and Apex MB are confusing, I'd have thought it would make more sense to call the Apex MB X Forged MB but I guess they have a reason for it.  Overall it's a cluttered iron line, too much crossover and not enough distinction between the 3 lines given the Mavrik MAX is very siimilar to the BB21 and the Mavrik Pro crosses into the Apex line.   

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not hit the new ones yet, but I thought the ‘18 x forged were fantastic.  Still wonder why they never ended up in my bag.  The sole design just worked really well for me when I tested them.  I do agree with comments about 9 & pw.  They look a little off with the visual offset.

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • Kevin Na WITB: 2021 Sony Open Winner (pics and specs)
      Kevin Na's What's In The Bag?
       
      Specs are on the front-page as well-
      https://www.golfwrx.com/645178/kevin-nas-winning-witb-2021-sony-open/
       
      Driver- Callaway GBB Epic (9 degrees) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 TX
      3w- Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (13.5 degrees) Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 TX
      5w- Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (18 degrees) Mitsubishi Diamana RF 80 TX
      Hybrid- PXG 0317 X Gen 2 (19 degrees) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
      Irons- Callaway Rogue Pro (4), Callaway Apex Pro 16 (5-PW) True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
      Wedges- Callaway Mack Daddy 4 (54), Vokey Design prototype (’18) (60-06K ) True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
      Putter- Odyssey Toulon Madison
      Grips- Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4
      Ball- Titleist Pro V1x
       

       
        • Like
      • 34 replies
    • SIM up close
      Here some pictures up close of the SIM only for now.  
       
      Wk
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 154 replies
    • 2021 EQUIPMENT LAUNCHES (Running thread of all our launch pieces)
      A continually updated table of contents of our front page 2021 equipment launch stories for your reading pleasure. 
       

      Callaway
      Apex irons, Apex Pro irons, Apex DCB irons Apex hybrids, Apex Pro hybrids  
      Mizuno 
      MCraft putters
      Ping
      G425 driver G425 fairway woods, hybrids and crossover G425 irons
       
      PXG 
      PXG 0211 series
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 48 replies
    • JT with a Ventus in the Tsi3?
      https://www.instagram.com/p/CJo-yEVDcyC/?igshid=1llg9lvv71oco
      • 212 replies

×
×
  • Create New...