2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Has anyone attended one of Monte’s Clinics?

Liveonce

Do yourself a favor and GO!  It will be a terrific experience. Not just the physical part, including the how and why, but also you'll leave with some good mental knowledge.  And not just the full swing is covered, but you'll learn some real gems about short game, bunker and putting.  What I enjoy about these events is also learning and comparing notes with the fellow Monteier's(?).   You will not feel slighted in the least time wise, that's not a concern at all.  He will spend as much time as you need and leave with some real keys.  What I suggest to anyone is bring a note book and record notes on the range.  (Or I'm just old and can't recall all the info).  I don't know of anyone who's attended and left feeling short changed.

Just do it!  Have fun. 

• Like 2

I have attended a few and enjoyed them all.  I can't think of anything negative and honestly wouldn't go that route in a post (I've gotten on other folks for posting negatives about some instructor experiences and probably should have kept silent - their experiences are their experiences, so have tried not to make that mistake again and don't want to be hypocritical).  COVID intervened this year and I was recovering from elbow surgery so couldn't go to Chicago as planned and the reschedule was when we were taking a delayed vacation - hope to get there next summer and may go to SoCal late winter/early spring - have visited Monte in Irvine as well. I think starting in 2020 there has been a definite move towards a lower ratio and announced as such and I think that's a good move, but just me.  I've been to some that seemed "busy" and some that seemed just right, but it's a group setting and you have to be prepared for that.  No matter what the size of the group I never felt short changed on time.  There were quite a few in Kansas City back in '15 when I went and things were moving a little slow on the first day as far as Monte getting "down the line", I just put in a quiet word with Jake who was helping to see if when things wrapped up for the day I could have a little time saved at the end and then took a break and spent time sitting down watching Monte work with several folks and learning from that - it was 92 degrees plus and the humidity was nuts, but Jake and Monte stuck around and a couple of us were there a little later - still have a couple videos from that.  Be prepared to get up in front of everyone and make a swing or two because it usually starts with each person taking a turn as a guinea pig and Monte analyzing, but also teaching by having the group try analyzing as well.  Be prepared to laugh if you are introduced as "having the most stubborn swing in the history of golf" - hey, my faults have been ingrained for 5 decades!  Be prepared for some "aha" moments as well - have video of that when learning a new drill Monte was working on in '18 that is now found in his video series and is key to the new one in particular - so he observes and evolves.  

Go with an open mind and check your golf ego at the door (or don't because adds to the entertainment).  My daughter has worked with Monte, my wife tagged along for a lesson a couple of years ago when we took a vacation to Laguna Beach, and my wife met him at dinner all those years ago at @parmark's house and she saw right through Monte, wise woman that she is, and observed he was a really sweet person at heart and he is a good guy and genuine. There, myth destroyed! Main thing is he has an "eye" that is second to none when looking at a golf swing and getting to root issues.

Hard to meet everyone at group clinics, but everyone on here I've met at them I've really enjoyed and have managed to meet up with other folks on here as well when in their area for a clinic when possible, and still hope I've got a couple rainchecks out there I can cash because of plans that had to change.

I suggest hitting the search engine because many of his clinics have resulted in threads following them with lots of insights.  

I'll just say I was a 12+ when I first visited him, had a cup of coffee for the first time ever as a 5 for a short time last summer, and went back up a little, lol, but have made a lot of improvement and understand things so much more than I ever did.  Don't pretend to get into swing theory and that stuff on here, way above my pay grade, but I have a better understanding of what works for me and why.

Edited by Hawkeye77

51 minutes ago, parmark said:

Do yourself a favor and GO!  It will be a terrific experience. Not just the physical part, including the how and why, but also you'll leave with some good mental knowledge.  And not just the full swing is covered, but you'll learn some real gems about short game, bunker and putting.  What I enjoy about these events is also learning and comparing notes with the fellow Monteier's(?).   You will not feel slighted in the least time wise, that's not a concern at all.  He will spend as much time as you need and leave with some real keys.  What I suggest to anyone is bring a note book and record notes on the range.  (Or I'm just old and can't recall all the info).  I don't know of anyone who's attended and left feeling short changed.

Just do it!  Have fun. 

Echo the notes, have one of those little Moleskine books I got five years ago and have all my notes in it.  Have gone to video as a good reference more - i.e., little drill I had my daughter video Monte demonstrating and me doing it correctly under Monte's watchful eye.  Still have a priceless vid where I worked off an intent he gave me, made a swing that resulted in a great impact position (never before achieved), dead shank it and Monte in the background, "now we have a golf swing."  Priceless - learned the result in that instance didn't matter.

4E79EE24-DE8F-45BE-92CF-2D0A1360BBBC_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Two more things came to mind:

1. Try to make it a point to do the Monday on course playing lesson. That alone is worth it - so many nuances you'll learn, and it's fun to apply some of the short game ideas from the practice area and see them work in real play.  Every round I feel I find one or two shots that I'd never have tried or had an idea to play before what he showed us in the group session.

2. Cool/funny story. A buddy was skeptical a bit and not able to invest the time when we held the first outing here Chicago area - it's been more than a few years now it seems. So we set up an early one hour private one day - Monte watched his swing and had a suggestion on a fix.  After trying a few different ways of Monte telling him what he was trying to have him do  - it kicked in.  The look on the guys' face when he saw the results  - like a kid in a candy store.  Every time we play now one or two shots during the round he'll look at me and say "Monte shot!"

• Like 1

The camp is a great setup - it was my first introduction into Monte. He has a great setup and process and you get to experience the Hackmotion, Boditrak, and get on the Flightscope. The group learning is awesome and shows off Monte's gift at quickly diagnosing and simplifying the single best thing you can do to improve. Unfortunately, our on-course session day got cancelled, but it was a great immersion into Monte's approach to the golf swing and really helped me get value out of his videos (since I could understand where all the troubleshoot and drills came from) and his instruction approach going forward. The only minor "wish for" I had for the clinic was more 1on1 time since we had 12 attendees, but Monte has addressed that with limiting his clinic size of 8, which feels like the perfect number. You won't be disappointed if you go. The clinic helped debunk a lot of my bad myths about the golf swing, but my improvement afterwards wasn't as fast as I hoped because of how easy it is to revert back to old habits or over analyze things with all of these new insights on the golf swing. That is why his Game Improvement Plan is so great and why I've been able to get rid of some of the stubborn issues I struggled with making progress between an on-line lesson every 3 months or if I could get a private lesson every few months. I'd highly recommend the clinic to come up with a game plan and decide how you improve from there. It is a great value for the amount of golf time you get. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

I recommend it. There are tips I use consistently like the putter off the fringe and (best) low, long, under the trees shot. People still shake their heads when I do this.

I will say this - one on one lessons vs  clinics are different animals. My time with a good instructor over a few lessons where it was focused solely on me made the greatest improvement in my swing/contact/etc. Clinic made me aware of great ways to approach different aspects of the game.

Edited by pktaske
  • Like 1

I went to the Chicago Clinic with my son last summer.  Worth every penny.  You will get plenty of time with Monte for sure.  He goes over full swing, short game, bunkers, putting, speciality shots, you name it.  You will learn a lot.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I have been to two of clinics and it was money well spent and j genuinely had fun.  I took lots of notes and I often watch some of the videos that I took when things go off the rails for me. The most informative part for me was watching others swing and trying to diagnose issues/faults. My only regret is I haven’t done the playing lesson. I hope this helps 

I've been to his Seattle clinic one year and then the next year drove down 4 hours across the border for private lessons. Worth it.

First clinic was the first real lesson I've had in my life and it was great. Short game work was really helpful and for full swing, he fixed my set up issues and my major swing flaw. It's a no brainer IMO

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

The clinics are great....I look to them every year in Phoenix.  They have single handedly dropped by handicap from an 8 to a +2.5 in a few years.  My suggestion is do the full 3 day if you can....at least once anyway....Also...take notes...I use my phone but definitely take notes

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

On 12/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, Lobby said:

Any ever planned for Texas?

Monte has recently been doing a clinic with Chase Cooper in Houston - that would be the camp I would attend if I could choose any. Not sure if that is in the 2021 plans, but definitely worth making the trip if you are reasonably close.

Edited by dcl5dcl5
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 5:59 PM, Liveonce said:

If so, what feedback do you have, positive or negative? Thinking about signing up for one and curious if the ratio of students allowed ample time with Monte and overall experience?

thanks!

Just do it, if you are thinking about it then you already have drunk the koolaid.  I echo the suggestion to do the 3 day if you can, also another way to get more one on one time.

Had a great experience, there was a great mix of golfers and swings, and there was plenty to learn for me.  I still use several tips from my clinic around the greens.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:26 PM, parmark said:

We hold the one in Chicago at Prairie Landing in West Chicago. His past summer was first weekend in August.  Look at the schedule for '21. 

On 11/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, Hstead said:

I went to the Chicago Clinic with my son last summer.  Worth every penny.  You will get plenty of time with Monte for sure.  He goes over full swing, short game, bunkers, putting, speciality shots, you name it.  You will learn a lot.

Chicago 2020 was my first clinic experience.  Witnessing @MonteScheinblumand @parmarkbehave like an old married couple was worth the price of admission alone.  Getting to know @Hsteadand his son was an absolute pleasure.

Anyone on the fence should absolutely try to make it to one of these.  Not only will you have a blast and meet some fantastic people, but Monte is a wealth of knowledge who will answer any question you might have, no matter how trivial or stupid you think it might be.  Plus he has some fantastic stories that he was happy to share with our group.  In the past the Chicago clinics have not been compatible with my schedule, but I was able to make it this year due to it being rescheduled...will definitely try to make it back in the future.

• Like 3

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

This is an honest review; as honest as you'll get on this thread.  If you want excellent full swing instruction, Monte's clinic is top-notch.  He'll take you through all the technology.  And you'll have a great sense of the root case of your primary swing flaw and how to correct it (i.e., make it better even if just a little bit).  He will give you several "feels" on how to lessen the negative impact of your primary swing flaw (notice the choice of words here). This alone is worth the price of admission.  

However, if you are looking for the advanced short game and putting instruction, look elsewhere.  Monte's short game and putting instruction for the clinics is designed to simplify things for the higher handicapper or weekend warrior so it's not designed for someone who can practice more and who already has a solid short game.

Personally, the most helpful thing for me is a section of the clinic in which Monte taught some shot-making stuff. He started by teaching ball-flight attributes then showed how those attributes can be used as "on-course band aides" to correct a ball flight issue.  So first he showed easy ways to hit draws and fades, and then showed what can be done during a round to correct a slice or hook without really changing the swing.  Then he showed easy ways hit stingers and flighted irons and wedges.  This was soo money.     

Edited by thed0n

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

5 hours ago, thed0n said:

This is an honest review; as honest as you'll get on this thread.  If you want excellent full swing instruction, Monte's clinic is top-notch.  He'll take you through all the technology.  And you'll have a great sense of the root case of your primary swing flaw and how to correct it (i.e., make it better even if just a little bit).  He will give you several "feels" on how to lessen the negative impact of your primary swing flaw (notice the choice of words here). This alone is worth the price of admission.  

However, if you are looking for the advanced short game and putting instruction, look elsewhere.  Monte's short game and putting instruction for the clinics is designed to simplify things for the higher handicapper or weekend warrior so it's not designed for someone who can practice more and who already has a solid short game.

Personally, the most helpful thing for me is a section of the clinic in which Monte taught some shot-making stuff. He started by teaching ball-flight attributes then showed how those attributes can be used as "on-course band aides" to correct a ball flight issue.  So first he showed easy ways to hit draws and fades, and then showed what can be done during a round to correct a slice or hook without really changing the swing.  Then he showed easy ways hit stingers and flighted irons and wedges.  This was soo money.     

Let me be very clear, I didn’t take anything you said as negative.  Your comments were all very positive.  I understand 100% what you meant about the short game section.  It certainly seems that way, and to be honest, I deliver it that way.  However, simple is not always elementary.

Under that umbrella, 2 pga tour winners, 2 Kornferry tour players and a us amateur champion have come to me specifically to get the same short game lesson I give during my golf schools.  

...including the Monday on course stuff.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

8 hours ago, thed0n said:

Not a high handicapper and not a "weekend warrior" here. I didn't have a solid short game and was a ball back off the right foot, no wrist, present the leading edge kind of player on shorter chips/"pitches".  My pitching technique on shorter wedge play on shots inside 100 yards was terrible.  Read up on Jack Nicklaus in 1980 - he was of a similar mindset around the greens pretty much his whole career until age 40 and then . . . Phil Rodgers teaches him how to properly use/engage the sole of his wedges, wins two majors after the worst season ever for him at the time.  You can find Phil demonstrating his technique elsewhere online, I see lots of similarities and there's another thread and some others on here related to using the bounce that show others teaching something similar. If you've watched any of the many hours over several videos of Monte's short game teaching/wedge play you aren't watching something directed at people who already have a solid short game (but it will work for anyone who does for sure), it's teaching a way of approaching the short game that (1) should be an intuitive and fundamentally sound approach for golfers of any skill level, (2) is an approach that in similar ways has been out there for a long time but was not "the" approach being taught.  I think you have it backwards - if you can practice your short game 30 hours a week and are highly skilled and have loads of wonderful talent the "old" method will work for you, but probably any method will work for you if you can practice all the time and have talent on loan from God, lol.  

There are some good examples on Monte's IG of Tiger and Justin hitting out of bunkers - watch their technique - it's what Monte teaches.  "Simple" doesn't mean it is for high handicappers (and I won't use the term weekend warrior again because I have no idea what it means).  Conversely, watch Pete Cowen's video teaching bunker play - lines everywhere, dizzying explanation and he's one of the best around, but IMO you better already be really good to take that in and do something with it (and it's pretty much "convenntional").

If you are at one of Monte's clinics and you don't want to change your short game, he sure won't make you but he'll encourage you to mess around with the ideas (probably already ideas that are in your swing pattern already if you indeed are a highly skilled golfer).  But if you were to say, "Hey Monte, I'm satisfied with my short game and don't want to change my approach, could you take a look and see if there is anything I can improve about it?" ---- he'll smile and help you.  

Last year I started out as a 6.8, got down to a 5.7, ended at 7.8 - for an entire season my lowest handicap range ever and that was coming off surgery (and overdoing caught up with me late, lol).  Was over 12 when I started with Monte many moons ago.  For me the full swing aspects have been the hardest to change for a variety of reasons, but it's the swing I've had since I was 10-11 years old and I don't practice and have had some physical challenges (elbow/knee) parts or all of 5 of the last 8 seasons.  That's life.

But short game . . . I'm no "wizard", my short game isn't perfect by any means. However, my not so good days are better and more consistent than my good days prior to learning from Monte, by far.  And my really good days are . . . really good!  I'd say short game and wedge play has driven my downward change in handicap much more than the ballstriking improvements I've made.  The wedge techniques, which are much better on yardages inside 100 are so much better and learning release of the club and some other things just need to work their way up the bag.  Bunkers - setup and releasing the clubhead were keys for me and Monte's technique is simple and effective - I was a terrible bunker player, now I'm pretty confident (and blade my fair share, lol, again because I'm . . . not a pro).

Putting? Not sure what you mean.  Mostly a matter of checking setup, watching a stroke and going from there.  A little tip about my alignment and the cause of it being out of whack, a tiny lesson about hip movement and bingo, that's what I needed.  He doesn't teach a putting method.

All IMO, and equally from real experience.  I just think you've mistakenly categorized his approach to short game in a way that doesn't square with what his approach really is and I think there is ample evidence out there, again including hours of Monte talking about it.  

Have a great holiday season!

Edited by Hawkeye77

We are talking about the difference between 10/10 and 9/10 here.  And I'm not saying Monte doesn't have excellent short game and putting instruction.  I said look "elsewhere" from the clinic (emphasis added) because results may vary.  Excellent short game instruction can be found in Monte's "Use the Bounce 2.0." But the clinic environment makes it difficult to present this information because Monte is somewhat handcuffed by time and the overall skill level of the collective group.  

So let me add an addendum - for short game and putting instruction, your experience may depend, in part (emphasis added), on the level of skill of the other group participants.  My group had a mixture of playing levels.  I may have benefitted more in a group setting that consisted of higher level players.  This is the one inconsistency that could arise from the clinic.  Whereas the full swing instruction is consistent since it is essentially a personal/private swing lesson, and everything that's said during that part will be 100% applicable to you. 

Edited by thed0n

We’re all on edge with what’s going on in the world.  This shouldn’t be a fight over semantics.

It should be a discussion over how my schools could be better and how the experience for the individual can be improved.  

• Like 4

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

We’re all on edge with what’s going on in the world.  This shouldn’t be a fight over semantics.

It should be a discussion over how my schools could be better and how the experience for the individual can be improved.  

Monte, I agree.  I'll send you a personal message.   

Having been to several...I understand what thed0n is saying.  The short game segment is not in depth like the swing...but to be honest I had a very average short game as an 8 before...now my short game is one of my strengths and has saved my bad rounds time and time again.  It's not in depth but it's also a very simple concept/lesson and doesn't need to be in depth for great results.  Once you have the 4 or so basics it's all practice/feel from there.

• Like 2

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

My short game has improved a lot since I attended the clinic 3 years ago. Part of that is due to the fact that I play and practice infinitely more now but also due to the fact that Monte changed my technique from using the lead edge and relying a lot of timing to using the bounce and making life easier and my mistakes less costly. Now if I chunk one a bit, I'm 10 feet short instead of 10 inches from where I started. I also still use his bunker concepts and that has simplified that part of my game as well. 

• Like 1

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I attended two (ATL in 2018 & NO in 2019) clinics and, also, had a private lesson with Monte prior to attending the clinics. During the ATL clinic, I think the group elavs of swings was the biggest eye opener on the full swing. We were able to see who similar flaws can cause opposite swing faults. Also, watching others helped me internalize what I needed to do.

Short game = one phrase...."mini-van acceleration". Understanding how to use the bounce comes from trial and error and having the awareness & patience to slow down the short game swing. 

Monte is able to find the your current biggest fault and give several different ways to fight/fix it. 

Having a trained and unbaised eye on your swing is priceless. He's not tied to any swing system just the fundamentals of solid golf swings. There was a guy at the NO clinic that followed strict methodology,  Monte knew it and did not try to change him at all. Just gave him additional insight and intentions to help improve what he was already attempting. That's a true teacher. Dont rewrite the program, just remove the blindfold and help them understand what will produce the best results.

• Like 2

I found the full swing part of the clinic most valuable, as Monte identified my fundamental flaw within seconds, and suggested several possible "feels" to try.  There was plenty of time to try them out, ask questions, and get feedback.  Courses went on covid lockdown immediately after my clinic in March, so I just worked on those feels hitting into my backyard net for weeks.  My swing is better as a result of working on the right things during that time.

His bunker lesson during my clinic has also been super valuable for me (imagine a dollar bill-sized area of sand under the ball, and USING YOUR NORMAL SWING, hit that sand onto the green). I can still hear him saying, with a smile of course, "what part of USE YOUR NORMAL GOLF SWING don't you understand?" 

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide