2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Free gloves for life from Dick's?

bainsgya

Went into Dick's sporting goods today to use a gift card and ended up buying a 2 pack of FJ gloves. The lady at checkout offered me a warranty on them for $3.99. If anything goes wrong with the glove or one of the fingers gets a hole in them (which has happened inevitably to every golf glove I've owned), I can file a claim and get a new glove shipped to me. The warranty can be purchased w most sports equipment from Dick's but I've never heard of a warranty on golf gloves. Seems kinda ridiculous that I'm registering my gloves for warranty. Has anyone tried filing a claim w Dick's before?

14 minutes ago, jschwarb said:

How do you mean free for life? If you file a warranty claim and get a new glove, isn't that the end of the transaction? I'd find it hard to believe that the subsequent glove would be covered by the previous warranty.

I believe this is how it works. Basically a buy one get one for $4 deal, which is still a great deal if you wear through gloves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

With stuff like this, I always take the stance that Dicks is ether extremely smart or extremely dumb. Both work out in their favor:

1. Extremely smart- they've done the math and figured out how to make money on this. For example, if a glove is $12, and you but a $4 replacement, they know that they break even if 1 out of every 3 people who buy it take them up on it (not taking into account the upcharge they sell the gloves for), so they must be pretty certain that out of every 4 people, 1 or less who purchased the insurance will come back for it. Basically money in their pocket. 

2. Extremely dumb- they haven't done the math, and are just trying to boost revenue. In this case, they probably dont have the ability to handle mail ins, very small chance they send you the glove, so they keep your money and you get no glove. 

Edited by Ironman_32

2 hours ago, wcgolfer said:

It is NEVER economically advantageous to buy warranties or insurance on items that are able to easily replace without financial difficulty. You insure expensive things, not cheap ones. 

1 hour ago, cbbaron said:

If you think DSG doesn't have actuaries to figure this out you're wrong and wear and tear provisions they defiantly have it

worst case scenario, I'm out 4 bucks. My guess is Dick's is assuming most ppl won't file a claim 

• Like 1

If the replacement/exchange took place in the store and you walked out with a new glove I would say it’s not a bad deal.  But from what you’ve described, you have to file a claim and wait on them to ship you a new one.  My guess is this will be at minimum 1 week turn around but in reality probably longer.  Not really worth the hassle to save a couple bucks on a “disposable” item.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I've done it twice now. I got my new glove on the spot when I went back to the store w/ my glove that had a hole in it. The process couldn't be easier. You are essentially prepaying for your next glove at $4 a pop. Just keep your receipt and it's easy peasy.

Edited by rondre3000

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

• 1 year later...

So...I got the warranty on a glove I bought in late March . Finally had a hole in the glove this week . Brought it to Dicks . At first the clerk said "oh, you have to file a claim and they'll send you a gift card " . I told him that's not what I was told.  I was told ..."bring it back,  and you get a new one . " . I showed him my receipt . He said...oh, it's within 90 days , no problem. , go get another one.  So I did.. I tell the clerk I want the protection plan on the replacement glove . He told me .. "no need, you're protection plan is still good , from previous glove , because it was within 90 days " . Proceeds to scan the glove , give me my receipt and for some unexplained reason , gave me 25 cents back !? So I walked out with a new glove , without having to pay for another protection plan , and I made 25 cents ! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J2putts said:

So...I got the warranty on a glove I bought in late March . Finally had a hole in the glove this week . Brought it to Dicks . At first the clerk said "oh, you have to file a claim and they'll send you a gift card " . I told him that's not what I was told.  I was told ..."bring it back,  and you get a new one . " . I showed him my receipt . He said...oh, it's within 90 days , no problem. , go get another one.  So I did.. I tell the clerk I want the protection plan on the replacement glove . He told me .. "no need, you're protection plan is still good , from previous glove , because it was within 90 days " . Proceeds to scan the glove , give me my receipt and for some unexplained reason , gave me 25 cents back !? So I walked out with a new glove , without having to pay for another protection plan , and I made 25 cents ! 

Will be interested to see if you can get another replacement on the replacement glove! Keep us posted!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:23 AM, J2putts said:

Did you return it at a different GG? If so, possibly different taxed amount. 

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:04 PM, cbbaron said:

If you think DSG doesn't have actuaries to figure this out you're wrong and wear and tear provisions they defiantly have it

They may have run the math, but like Costco and their roasted chickens, they may be willing to take a loss to get you back in the store. It creates a reason for you to go back to that store.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

I did this at Dicks but it was run by a 3rd party.  Had to text my receipt and register.  Got a hole in the glove within the year.  Completed the claim via text.  They sent me a shipping label to send it back and within a day of dropping it at UPS they sent my a digital Dicks giftcard for the original price of the glove.  Not as easy as some of you guys but still worth it.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have been doing this for a couple years now. I bought multiple $19.99 TaylorMade gloves at once and got the $4 Asurion protection plan on each one. When one of my gloves gets worn out I just submit a claim, mail it back to them, and they sent me a gift card for $19.99. I then go buy a replacement glove and protection plan using the gift card and only pay $4 plus tax for every glove!

I will do this for either 1. Forever or 2. Until they discontinue the protection plan....It takes the cost of each glove from $20 + tax to $4 plus tax.

• 3 months later...

Not worth the hassle, may be good for kids but for adults their time is more valuable than the lengthy process it takes to do the exchange. You have to go to asurion to register the warranty takes 15 minutes, then it takes another 20 minutes to fill out the claim when it is broken, only then to have the chore of boxing up the glove printing out a label and dropping it off at the ups store. So you basically pay 4 dollars for the privilege of getting $15 back after spending ~1.5 hours of your time. Don’t do it if you value your time.

• Thanks 1

If you use autofill while using websites the process should take less than 60 seconds at registration and redemption. UPS can scan your phone rather than print a receipt. Plus, most on this site do their hoing at work so their getting paid anyway 😂

• Haha 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 5:33 PM, Dfraser22 said:

Not worth the hassle, may be good for kids but for adults their time is more valuable than the lengthy process it takes to do the exchange. You have to go to asurion to register the warranty takes 15 minutes, then it takes another 20 minutes to fill out the claim when it is broken, only then to have the chore of boxing up the glove printing out a label and dropping it off at the ups store. So you basically pay 4 dollars for the privilege of getting $15 back after spending ~1.5 hours of your time. Don’t do it if you value your time.

Well if you're getting a Titleist player's glove you're up to $28

• 8 months later...

Very late to respond to this thread, HOWEVER. A lot of people are talking about the cons of this 1 year warranty, but I personally have found it to be extremely worth it. I play softball for my school, and typically have to buy new batting gloves each year due to the use they get. They're never destroyed beyond repair, but $26 for a pair of gloves CAN eventually add up. Last year around this time, we bought a new pair and the salesperson offered the warranty, explaining it the same way they do to everyone. We decided to go for it, thinking "it's 4$, so let's see how it works out." On the one year mark, I pulled out the previous receipt for the gloves with confirmation of a warranty on them, went into the same Dick's and grabbed the gloves I wanted, and they gave me the new pair because it was covered under the warranty. They had to pull up my membership information, just because the receipt had faded a fair bit, but then they went as far to offer me to pay 4$ AGAIN to cover my brand new and free gloves. I happily took that deal. One year from now, I will exchange them yet again for another pair. Maybe it was just the salesperson I had, but if I only have to pay 4$ for another pair of gloves, granted I cover them with the warranty, why not do it? I certainly don't know if this deal applies to every Dicks, but I would for sure recommend keeping my experience in mind. 

I say all of this to say:

1. Make sure you HANG ON TO YOUR RECEIPT

2. Try to use your phone number with your purchase to ensure they have the purchase on record

3. Do your research on your own Dick's before investing in this (as there is a possibility that not ALL establishments will honor it)

4. Take a picture of your receipt so it is visible even if it fades over time.