TaylorMade bullet weights - approximate size

Can anyone tell me the approximate size of the TM bullet weights they use to achieve swing weight in some of their iron heads?  Looking to understand what aftermarket bullet weights might fit in the bottom of the bore. (Yes I have brass tip weights and know how to use them but want to explore this option as well)

Edited by taiwangolfer
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went with tungsten putty. 3.5 grams tamped down into the TM weight port works perfectly. I broke it up into 3-4 small ~1g balls and dropped them in, used an old shaft with a brass tip weight epoxied

Just for informational purposes, there's a couple of ways to get hosel weights out without using a ton of heat.  Sometimes just using a drill bit will work.  E-Z outs can work if you have them.  One o

Here are lower end and upper end examples for length. The top weight is 8g. It's about 0.425" in length. The bottom weight is 13.5g and about 0.9" in length. Both are right around 0.300" in diameter (

Posted Images

When I do club builds, I usually make sure I have plenty of options. 2, 4, 6, 8 gram at least. I bought a cheap kitchen scale to measure what I take out.

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

Here are lower end and upper end examples for length. The top weight is 8g. It's about 0.425" in length. The bottom weight is 13.5g and about 0.9" in length. Both are right around 0.300" in diameter (my caliper needs a new battery, otherwise I'd give precise measurements).

Most of their weights that I've dealt with over the years have been around the length of the top one in my pic; usually a little longer, but normally in the 0.5" to 0.75" range. The bottom weight is what I've removed from the new P770 and P7MC. It seems they've gone with a little lighter heads and are using heavier weights to give them more SW range flexibility for builds. At least that's my interpretation.

One thing to notice that some of their irons, like the original P770, have had shorter hosels an the longer weight might not fit. But anything in a 0.5-0.75" range would work on all of the models I've worked with.

IMG_8969.jpg.6cc6c5d7c2d585eefb6dde6a19f21138.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 8.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 45"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue 70 X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft stepped)
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5
jll62's WITB

So in looking at the images Jim shared above and then at my P790 heads tonight I believe the shorter weight is designed to fit all the way down in the port so it finishes below the shaft tip. The larger weight appears to me to be designed to finish up into the shaft, thus avoiding the need for a tip weight - or at least that’s what I’m seeing...

john

Edited by taiwangolfer

Has anyone successfully ever tried taking these weights out of the P heads?  I have tried heat and drilling and they just don’t want to move. I do not want to heat it up too much or else you would destroy the speed slot or maybe even the foam inside the head. 

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

I have never taken them out. I bought heads with no shafts and a T serial and none of them have the weight added yet.

After exploring multiple options for aftermarket weights that would fit I’m leaning towards tungsten putty and brass tip weights if needed. 

I think you are right to be a little concerned about the impact of heat on the speed foam but don’t know for sure....

john

19 minutes ago, DoNDoN said:

Has anyone successfully ever tried taking these weights out of the P heads?  I have tried heat and drilling and they just don’t want to move. I do not want to heat it up too much or else you would destroy the speed slot or maybe even the foam inside the head. 

Yes, lots of them.  Wrap a wet face towel around the head and then use a butane hand torch to heat the hosel.  Takes alot of heat and once sufficient you will see smoke from the hosel and some crackle/poping...hit the hosel end on a hard surface and the bullet weight will come out.

Here is a 4g weight just removed from a P790Ti....

1279517736_TMhoselweight.jpg.f7c23799a1946af8b7a783a4ec643c7d.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Thanks 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6 -- PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 5 - PW -- PX IO/LS 6.5 ....PENDING!
TAYLORMADE P7TW - 4 - PW -- Black Modus3 LE 115 X
TAYLORMADE MG2 52/9, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; Hi-Toe 56/10, DG TI s400; MG2 60/8, DG TI s400 ONYX 
VOKEY
SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

22 hours ago, taiwangolfer said:

So in looking at the images Jim shared above and then at my P790 heads tonight I believe the shorter weight is designed to fit all the way down in the port so it finishes below the shaft tip. The larger weight appears to me to be designed to finish up into the shaft, thus avoiding the need for a tip weight - or at least that’s what I’m seeing...

john

NO. The larger weight sits fully below the shaft in the hosel. TaylorMade irons have a hosel with two different sized bores. The top of the hosel is a tapered bore for .355" shafts. There is a small ridge where shaft insertion depth stops. Below this is a smaller bore for the hosel weights. The weights sit below the shaft and do not extend up into the shaft.

Edited by jll62
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5
jll62's WITB

11 hours ago, DoNDoN said:

I've removed a bunch of them. They require a lot of heat, much more than you think is needed. If you're not careful, you can absolutely have heat travel into the head and cause issues with rubber components like the speed slots.

Follow BirdieBob's advice above. It's spot on. The wet towel helps keep the areas with rubber/foam cooler, and the trick is to wait until you've heard the adhesive crack/pop and you see some smoke start to rise up. Then you can tap the head and the weight will come out. TaylorMade doesn't use regular epoxy to seat the weights. It's more of a rubbery substance and it requires a lot of heat to release.

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5
jll62's WITB

20 minutes ago, jll62 said:

NO. The larger weight sits fully below the shaft in the hosel. TaylorMade irons have a hosel with two different sized bores. The top of the hosel is a tapered bore for .355" shafts. There is a small ridge where shaft insertion depth stops. Below this is a smaller bore for the hosel weights. The weights sit below the shaft and do not extend up into the shaft.

Got it - thanks and that makes sense - the P790’s I have definitely have the shorter bore as there is less than 1/2” of space from the ridge to the bottom of the bore. 

23 hours ago, DoNDoN said:

When I removed them from P760’s, they took way longer than I expected too. About 8-10 minutes with a propane torch. Follow the instructions as posted above and they’ll come out. 

I went with tungsten putty. 3.5 grams tamped down into the TM weight port works perfectly. I broke it up into 3-4 small ~1g balls and dropped them in, used an old shaft with a brass tip weight epoxied in to tamp it down. Fits perfectly and gets the heads where I want them without needing big tip weights

john

• Like 2
8 hours ago, taiwangolfer said:

I went with tungsten putty. 3.5 grams tamped down into the TM weight port works perfectly. I broke it up into 3-4 small ~1g balls and dropped them in, used an old shaft with a brass tip weight epoxied in to tamp it down. Fits perfectly and gets the heads where I want them without needing big tip weights

john

Sure one can place weight down into the bottom of the hosel in various forms.  BUT, the issue is if one or someone else wants to change them!  Can you remove them with minimal effort?  Tip weights are much easier to remove I suspect.

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6 -- PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 5 - PW -- PX IO/LS 6.5 ....PENDING!
TAYLORMADE P7TW - 4 - PW -- Black Modus3 LE 115 X
TAYLORMADE MG2 52/9, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; Hi-Toe 56/10, DG TI s400; MG2 60/8, DG TI s400 ONYX 
VOKEY
SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

Just for informational purposes, there's a couple of ways to get hosel weights out without using a ton of heat.  Sometimes just using a drill bit will work.  E-Z outs can work if you have them.  One of the most effect ways I have removed them is just using a drywall/wood screw.  Just predrill with weight with a small drill bit far enough in to get the screw to start.  Many times the torque of the screw going in will break them free, or just use the screw to embed into the weight and then use pliers or something to pull if they are stubborn.  Same trick can be used to removing things like hosel bore plugs in woods, etc.  Will save you guys some effort/risk of damaging other parts of the head trying to cook these things out of there.

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 2

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

59 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Sure one can place weight down into the bottom of the hosel in various forms.  BUT, the issue is if one or someone else wants to change them!  Can you remove them with minimal effort?  Tip weights are much easier to remove I suspect.

Good point - These are for me to use and I expect them to last 5-6 years and don’t expect to ever need to take the putty out so I’m not to worried.  I believe getting the putty out would be pretty easy if needed with a small drill.  The issue wasn’t tip weights so much as the lack of availability of bullet weights to fit the TM weight port. The anal part of me doesn’t like the idea of leaving the port empty and using a larger tip weight in the shaft, even though the logical part of my brain tells me I wouldn’t know the difference..

Even with the putty and no tip weights these are about D2, I am still using tip weights to get them to my preferred D4 🙂

john

8 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

Just for informational purposes, there's a couple of ways to get hosel weights out without using a ton of heat.  Sometimes just using a drill bit will work.  E-Z outs can work if you have them.  One of the most effect ways I have removed them is just using a drywall/wood screw.  Just predrill with weight with a small drill bit far enough in to get the screw to start.  Many times the torque of the screw going in will break them free, or just use the screw to embed into the weight and then use pliers or something to pull if they are stubborn.  Same trick can be used to removing things like hosel bore plugs in woods, etc.  Will save you guys some effort/risk of damaging other parts of the head trying to cook these things out of there.

I initially tried drilling out the weight plug. When that failed I went with propane heat and tapped it out. Unfortunately, the weight plug that I tried drilling out was almost impossible to get out. The other weight plug that I heated only came out much easier. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, raydens said:

Where can we buy this type of bullet weights? Thanks

That's the thousand dollar question.....

Taylormade SIM MAX 9 (Set to 8.25U) Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff Tipped .5"
Taylormade M5 15 set to 14.5 Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 7.3 Stiff Tipped 1"
Bridgestone Tour B 19 Hybrid KBS Proto 85 Stiff
Taylormade M3 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW DG AMT S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG2TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Raw Hi Toe 60/09 KBS HiRev 125
Scotty Cameron TeI Newport 2 Longneck 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

If you don't need too much weight, a viable option would just be to use a hosel bore plug in the bottom to seal off the bullet weight cavity and just use a shaft tip weight.  It's what I have done with Wishon heads, etc in the past.  Easier than filling with epoxy, etc.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W