Golf year done close to 100 rounds (maybe more) & only played my club

Yep COVID-19 had a lot to do with it, but something I've never done.

Granted since becoming a member play 80% of rounds at my course, but this year not a single round elsewhere.  

Courses were jammed, long rounds, higher prices, no invitations or charity tournaments, and other private clubs had restrictive guest policies 'til at least July or later.  

Was perfectly content and always happy to play my course (as love it and great conditions), but wondered if anyone else has ever done that?

Edited by Under2hours
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems there is a culture difference in the US compared to the UK.   Most "serious" golfers in the UK are members of clubs and will play the majority of their rounds at that club. Some will n

I would have trouble playing the same course the entire year.     This year I played 37 different courses.  I like the change.

I would lose my mind if I played the same course that many times now.  In a shortened season I played 44 rounds on 18 different courses.  I used to play the same track all the time when I was younger.

Well done!

This is my goal next year, 100 rounds. I have played more in the last 2 months than I have played in 10 years. I am joining a club and building my own cart, so it should be fun.

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

When I was in my early 20's and under my father's membership at El Caballero CC, we would play 80-90% of our annual rounds there.  Anywhere from 80-100 rounds per year.  In the long run, it ended up saving my father money and time for the reasons you listed.  As you know there are minimum monthly dues and his were right at over barely over it each month. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I would lose my mind if I played the same course that many times now.  In a shortened season I played 44 rounds on 18 different courses.  I used to play the same track all the time when I was younger.  I found it was causing my game to stagnate.

How do you guys do it?  How many times do you play different tees or try to play the course differently?

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

7 hours ago, Socrates said:

I would lose my mind if I played the same course that many times now.  In a shortened season I played 44 rounds on 18 different courses.  I used to play the same track all the time when I was younger.  I found it was causing my game to stagnate.

How do you guys do it?  How many times do you play different tees or try to play the course differently?

Maybe I'm a creature of habit.  Dues here are not cheap and I really value pace of play and we have a good group that plays together.  Friends outside of the club are not golfers for the most part, so no big deal.  We play two different decks and throw in others every once in a while. 

With COVID-19 as said there were no invites to other clubs, courses were jammed and no charity scrambles or usual tournaments.

As a 13.2 HC (actually went up this year) I'm not lighting the course on fire, and shots are always different, as are pins.

Helps that the course is ranked in the top 50 here in Canada.

I probably say the same thing about people on the range for hours practicing.....  I get easily bored by that.  

7 hours ago, Socrates said:

Obviously I don't play the private CC my father is a member at regularly because I'm not under his membership anymore due to my age, but when I did, I was a teenager going into early adulthood.  That course is considered very difficult so it never got boring.  Pin positions changed everyday and so did tee boxes.  Rough was different lengths and fairways could dry up during summers as well.  The greens were already slick and tiered, so it always kept you're short game in general honest.  As you can see, the course conditions would change during different parts of the season.  It kinda made the other local courses seem easier maybe? 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Seems there is a culture difference in the US compared to the UK.

Most "serious" golfers in the UK are members of clubs and will play the majority of their rounds at that club. Some will never play anywhere else while there's others like myself use a mixture of some or all the following to play different courses. 
Club association schemes
Open Tournaments
Pay and Play

I suspect I play more different courses than most as I actively try too but even with Lockdown this year I've managed to play 29 different course all within the UK.

• Like 3
Map of Courses Played - https://bit.ly/2Qy3ScY

I hadn't thought about this until I read this thread. Looking back, I have played casual golf on only one other course beside my home club. But I have played competition rounds on 11 other courses this year.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM2 Max 9 XC-6 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19.5 GD IZ HY-85 stiff

Adams Idea Pro A12 24*

TM DHY 5 GD IZ HY-85 stiff

TM P770 6-PW DG 120 X100 SS

MG2 50*SB, 54* SB & 58* HB

2Ball 45" putter

There is an 18 hole course just down the road about 20 minutes. I played the back 9 on Veterans Day and it was quite nice. It isn't much more than the rounds at the club, but the cost adds up. 

The club is fun. The course isn't tough by any means, but for a 9 hole, I enjoy it. The membership is $700/year, so at $20/round, it will be paying for itself next month.

I will be playing other courses for sure, but I will be at the club every dry day possible.

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

On 11/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, Socrates said:

I couldn’t do it either.  The stagnant factor is a major part of it.  I remember playing CC kids in junior golf who had 0-5 hcps but once they left their courses those guys couldn’t sniff a round in the 70s.  I never wanted to fall victim to that.  Plus, it’s just more fun for me to have options that are varied and challenging for different reasons.

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

I couldn’t do it either.  The stagnant factor is a major part of it.  I remember playing CC kids in junior golf who had 0-5 hcps but once they left their courses those guys couldn’t sniff a round in the 70s.  I never wanted to fall victim to that.  Plus, it’s just more fun for me to have options that are varied and challenging for different reasons.

Absolutely agree with you.   After playing over a hundred rounds a year at my home course, I'm never going to play to my 9-11 handicap during away rounds.

But, at home, I play in less than 3 hours on weekday mornings and in 4 hours when the course is packed on the weekends.   You just can't do this traveling around to different golf courses.

My home course plays quite different depending on the weather and season.   Yes, it's still the same golf course.   But, I'm not stuck playing a 5-hour round of golf -- something I'm not sure I could tolerate.   

• Like 1

Interesting comments. I couldn’t imagine playing decent golf and not having a home course. It’s a lot easier to dial things in wine you can walk a quick 9 in an hour after work and understand why exactly shots react the way they do. As far as away rounds, this year has been less do to COVID but that’s understandable. I haven’t found it difficult to play to my handicap the at the appropriate rate when playing away rounds. Often it’s easier as the courses are easier. 

for the guys that say they would get bored...how often you you have a competitive match on the course be it actual competition, a $5 Nassau, or a match for a beer?

the competition, camaraderie, variety of games and events keep the home corse fresh. 

My wife asked if I was going to get bored playing this little 9 hole and I said no, because I make it interesting. 

Yes, it's the same 9 holes. But I hit my drive clean on 2 and have 90ish yards to the pin so I toss a ball about 30 yards behind me and hit my 7.

The hole is 320 yards. But I can slice up that yardage any way I want. Hell, I could do a whole round of nothing but 9's off the tee if I feel I need to work on my 9i tee shots.

If I know my shot yardage and I can shape my shot, 90 yards to the pin is the same 90 yards on any course that uses yards. Water, sand, lava, it's still 90 yards to the pin.

So maybe if all I do is play straight, then 6 of the 9 holes are driver to PW. But with at least 7 holes over 300 yards, I can hit pretty much every club in my bag every round.

Yesterday there was a foursome coming up 3, so I teed off 5 and played from there. I can also tee off from 8 and work my way around.

It's a tee box with a hole down range. What more do I need?

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

As said this year was unique, but I so value Pace of Play and every round is different.  I often play better (if not stuck on a 5 hour round) playing elsewhere.  It's just about hitting shots and knowing the yardage.  Yes local knowledge helps too.

I expect 2021 will be similar, and if the trend continues & courses are packed, I won't be looking to play elsewhere, unless invites.  

So I only posted 28 rounds but played around 32 times on 11 different courses.  About 3 rounds fewer than normal but was because I had other fun outdoor things to do.  Covid only cost me 1-2 rounds very early on plus the weather didn't cooperate early season.  Pace of play all season was good, typ 4:10 or less--- maybe because I mostly avoided weekends on public courses.

On the bonus side, here in North East USA we had some really nice weather in October/November so I played late season more than ever. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

I ended up playing 92 out of the 114 rounds I played this season at my home course. 

On 11/25/2020 at 10:49 PM, Socrates said:

I mostly play the blues at my home course (~6300 yards), but I do switch it up and play the tips (~6600 yards), and move up to the whites (~6000 yards) maybe 8-10 rounds each year.

The tips at my course don't make too much difference on the par 4's, but the par 3's become annoyingly long (one is flat and plays at 235 yards, another is an uphiller that plays around 220 - both are heavily guarded by bunkers). 

The whites are short, and I use them on days when I just wanna work on my short game. 

Edited by Roody

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

92 rounds so far. Half of them are 9 hole combined, so really like 92 9-hole and 46 18-hole rounds.  All but 1 at my home club.  At least it's 27 holes. I play the same tees 90% of the time.  I'm usually a 95% at my home club kind of guy anyway, but this year it's going to be 99% plus. My club is 6-7 minutes from my house, and rounds average 3.5 hours/18 holes, closer to 2.5 hours/18 hours if only 1-2 people at off times. Other than a couple of regular groups where we often split after the round, I've avoided group games this year.

Edited by LCP
  • Like 1

When I retire (hopefully 2021 is my last yr working) I will have to make a decision about possibly joining a course.  Best course near me would be real convenient, but it has 2 things going against it.  Range uses limited flight balls and the course is crazy busy due to Covid. 

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

14 hours ago, Under2hours said:

As said this year was unique, but I so value Pace of Play and every round is different.  I often play better (if not stuck on a 5 hour round) playing elsewhere.  It's just about hitting shots and knowing the yardage.  Yes local knowledge helps too.

I expect 2021 will be similar, and if the trend continues & courses are packed, I won't be looking to play elsewhere, unless invites.  

Which course is this ?! Fellow Canadian .. 

got a group of 8 of us that rotate 5 tracks the whole year within our area .. same course all the time does get mundian but again we’re young mid 30s age group .. 

I suspect when I’m a bit older having the creature of habit course nature might creep up 

I just noticed I have 81 rounds so far in 2020. 14 were away at other courses. I live on a course. So it’s super convenient. Never get bored. Play in 2 diff games. Always someone wanting to play every afternoon. Play 3 different tees. We have 6-8 tournaments a year plus all sorts of other stuff like couples, father/son, 2 man, and 4 Balls. Course conditions constantly changing so it never gets stale. My index has dropped from 8 to 5 this year, with a low of 4.3 in June/July. I’m going to make a push to get in 19 more rounds before Jan 1 just to get 100. Might never be this close again and I think 100 rounds in a year is pretty cool. 

I didn’t play nearly as much thus year, but almost all of my rounds were at my home course. I work there so the golf is free. It’s hard for me to justify playing somewhere else when I’m going to have to pay $50-$60. The one good thing, while my course isn’t very difficult (rated at just over its par) it doesn’t fit my eye at all, so I don’t score very well there. It makes the handicap travel better......if I ever travel to play again. 

I have a membership at a course that charges $200/round for visitors and membership dues are paid upfront at the beginning of the year, so it is like pre-paid golf and I am going to play there as much as possible.  I was in isolation until May and have played 107 rounds this year between June-November (when the club closed for the season). I plan to do the same for next season at the same club. I was told it was a zoo elsewhere with absolutely no tee times. I love that my club was completely open for walk ons because it was too expensive for most to play.

I belong to a different club the last 3 years and I have almost played exclusively at that club (avg. 160 rounds a year) plus a handful elsewhere. Both clubs are 27 holes. 

When I belonged to a club I would play 80-100 a year. Played about 20+25 rounds "away" .

To me the biggest factors to belong to a club are. 

Pace of play

Ability to get in 9 holes after work

Finding good games and some money games. 

I Neve found it boring to pay the same course all the time. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:38 PM, CRB357 said:

I just noticed I have 81 rounds so far in 2020. 14 were away at other courses. I live on a course. So it’s super convenient. Never get bored. Play in 2 diff games. Always someone wanting to play every afternoon. Play 3 different tees. We have 6-8 tournaments a year plus all sorts of other stuff like couples, father/son, 2 man, and 4 Balls. Course conditions constantly changing so it never gets stale. My index has dropped from 8 to 5 this year, with a low of 4.3 in June/July. I’m going to make a push to get in 19 more rounds before Jan 1 just to get 100. Might never be this close again and I think 100 rounds in a year is pretty cool. 

LOL, I actually have 128 rounds. I was looking at wrong stat area on GHIN. So I reached 100 a few months ago and never realized it. Ha. 

I've played just under 70 rounds this year and 90% have been at my home course.  (youngest went off to college this year and since i've been WFH during the pandemic, I've got a LOT more free time.) It's mostly because of the men's league at ,my home (public) course.  I always know I can get a game on the weekends, we have a lot of tournaments and our Tuesday/Thursday 9-hole events.

I used to play all over the metro area.  But the biggest issue was finding a consistent group that would commit to playing.  I used to walk on a lot as a single. And while 90%+ percent of the time it was a positive experience, I've really learned to appreciate playing with guys I know and will take that over getting paired with a stranger somewhere else. 

That's especially true with the pandemic this year.  I don't think people are looking to get thrown in a cart/group with a stranger they no nothing about if they can avoid it.

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Titleist ProV1x