Can you quantify the value of a rangefinder, similar device, to your game?

I only play 10-15 rounds a year.  At least half of those are with friends whom have a rangefinder or GPS-type watch device where if our balls are near each other I may ask for the yardage but even then it's maybe five-to-ten shots per round I ask; I usually get along just fine with spotting out markers in the fairway or walking away from sprinkler heads that are marked so when I don't play with them I don't feel like I'm losing a lot.  A rangefinder may say I'm 166 yards from the pin and if I think I'm "about 160" then I'm ok with that (I should note, I also play a half set so I'm often hitting less than full shots to begin with).  I bet with knowing exact yardages I may be hitting a couple more putts per round as some approach shots may be closer to the pin but I question sometimes how much I value one-to-four shots gained per round for how little I play because I have a device nearly $500.  

• In the context of spending about the same amount of money as two-to-four irons or what a driver cost, how much value do you put in to knowing your exact yardage?
  • In the context of "value", how many strokes gained can you rationalize and quantify to your game because you have a rangefinder or GPS device? 

This question came up with my buddies in context of the holidays coming up, too, so that may be a larger conversation: what would you like to have but wouldn't splurge yourself.  A rangefinder/GPS-device is something I have yet to pull the trigger on for myself but it seems like it'd be a great luxury if several family members went in on it together.  Interested in your thoughts. 

Edited by cschweitzer29

For me it’s worth 2-3 shots a round. Easy.  I think the answer you’ll find here is going to be handicap or ability specific.  I’m wanting a carry and a number to the pin and/or to any back trouble on any approach shot .  

occasionally I’ll play my home course with a dead battery and that’s fine.  I know it by heart really. But anywhere else , it’s worth a lot.    

forgot to add.  My $500 plus bushnell finder took a poop early in the summer.  I sent it back in and they still haven’t repaired it. I’ve been using my old no name amazon $100 finder and I actually prefer it.  It doesn’t eat batteries likely the bushnell ( one per week for that pos vs a month or more with the cheap one ) and it’s just as accurate.  Only hitch is it doesn’t vibrate and lock on.  You have to use your brain and know that what looks like 160 isn’t the trees behind the green at 207 . Lol.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For me using them on approach shots is it's not about knowing the exact yardage or improving the score but rather the convenience of not having to find sprinkler head yardages or pace off from markers.   I can't speak for anyone else but I'm a lot faster with the laser or gps.

However, lasers can also help determine if the pin is front/middle/back when it's not visually apparent (frequent for the mountain courses around here).  That center of the green yardages can be off by as much as 15 yards on some of the greens I play.   Most of the time I'm playing to front or middle yardages regardless of the pin position but not always, especially inside 100 yards.  

But they are also not just about yardage to the pin or green.    I also find them very helpful for picking lines off of the tee for courses I don't play on a regular basis.   How far to go through a dog leg? how far to carry or lay up to a hazard (penalty area) or fairway bunker?  layup yardages? etc..    Those usages alone could easily save me several shots a round when on an unfamiliar course.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Probably saves a couple shots a round over the long term and more importantly it's a huge time saver on a poorly marked course.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Well I'm not going to hit a shot without having some idea of the distance. Yeah it doesn't need to be to the nearest yard or half-yard but it does need to be closer than I can eyeball it. 

So the value of my rangefinder is the time and distraction it saves by not needing to search around for a marked sprinkler or go walk forward to the top of the hill to see whether the flag is on the front or back of the green. 

I have met a couple guys who were simply uncanny with their ability to eyeball distances. This guy Jeff I used to play with years ago swore that rangefinders were worse than useless. But he'd stand there and say "it's about 155 to the flag, 140-something to the front of the green" and he'd be right (within give or take five yards) every single time. If I tried that I'd be off by 15-20 yards several times a round. 

There was also a guy I took a couple short-game lessons when I was a beginner. He was my teaching pro's assistant and I'd work with him if my guy was booked up or unavailable. He had incredible touch and feel for wedge shots inside 100-120 yards. Didn't use a rangefinder, didn't use sprinklers, didn't even think about a number. His eyes and hands were like hard-wired together or something. He'd just pull whichever wedge felt right and make whatever swing felt right. But I don't have that wiring, I wish I did!

• Like 1

I'll echo what Blade and Stuart said. I play several unfamiliar courses in a year and the rangefinder allows me to know the carry over hazards, a safe layup, or to the pin. I've found the cart GPS can vary more than 10 yards. The magnification of the device can be used to see some slope on the green for approach shots and to verify the pin placement is really front, mid, or back. Having caddied and played thousands of rounds prior to the introduction of the device I can say I do not miss searching for a sprinkler or marker and hoping the flag color is correct for the location. Definitely worth at least 3 shots and 15 minutes per round.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

There is a huge feedback advantage.  If you know its 160, you hit 8, and you come up 10 yards short, you will subconsciously adjust the next time you have 160.  If you don't know the yardage its literally a continuous guessing game.

It makes your game better than almost any other training aid except an alignment stick.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

46 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

forgot to add.  My $500 plus bushnell finder took a poop early in the summer.  I sent it back in and they still haven’t repaired it. I’ve been using my old no name amazon $100 finder and I actually prefer it.  It doesn’t eat batteries likely the bushnell ( one per week for that pos vs a month or more with the cheap one ) and it’s just as accurate.  Only hitch is it doesn’t vibrate and lock on.  You have to use your brain and know that what looks like 160 isn’t the trees behind the green at 207 . Lol.  

That kind of battery usage seems crazy for both units.  I usually get a year and a half out of a battery in my Nikon.   You might want to check on the way you store your finder and make sure something isn't accidentally pushing buttons and triggering the rangefinder when it's not in use.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like my gps watch over the range finder... it’s faster and gives me the middle of the green distance... I’m trying to play more to the middle of the green, so this data is always helpful.

It’s not significantly better than finding a yardage marker, but it’s faster, easier and more accurate. 

Im not familiar enough with the gps market to know pricing, but if you can pick one up cheap it’s definitely worth it.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I am lost without my rangefinder for several reasons.

• I am confident in the number so I am not second-guessing front pin vs back pin. For me, this speeds up my round
  • I shoot more objects that are not the flag than I do the actual flag in a normal round. Whether it is bunkers and water hazards for carry, lay up yardages, or stuff like trees to carry a corner. 
  • I have slope enabled which takes a lot of the guess work out of the shot. 
  • I use mine on the driving range a lot. Whether shooting actual flags or an area to work on specific yardage shots. 

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

7 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

That kind of battery usage seems crazy for both units.  I usually get a year and a half out of a battery in my Nikon.   You might want to check on the way you store your finder and make sure something isn't accidentally pushing buttons and triggering the rangefinder when it's not in use.

Yea. Will do.  The bushnell one was off the charts. It was dead each round I went to use it.  For a while I assumed it was normal and just sucked.  The other one may last longer.  I’m just now into it about 6 weeks and not dead yet.  I expect it to be dead each time I click it. But that expectation is based off the other one. So maybe it will last like you’re saying.  Fingers crossed.  

I just store them in the pouch that came with the Bushnell hanging on my bag , which is in the back of my truck.  Which has a bed cover and carpeted bed.  So like a huge car trunk .  And there’s other things of the kids back there so bag can’t move an inch and won’t slide on that carpeted liner anyway. I don’t know. It was the worst electronics purchase I ever made really.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Definitely  worth several shots a round, especially on an unfamiliar course.

I have both GPS and Laser.  I only haul out the laser on rare occasions when I really want an exact yardage to a pin.  The GPS's ability to show me the  front and back of green yardages is immensely helpful.  This lets me gauge if I'm going to club up and down, depending on pin placement, any hazards, and my potential miss.  Also if there are any FW hazards, such as bunkers, creeks, ponds, etc, I can move the cursor on the GPS to easily give me those yardages.  And lastly if hitting an errant tee shot, such as a push/slice, I mark my start yardage on the tee, walk out 210-220 yards to the right as I know that is my slice yardage, and much easier to locate my ball.   And then if I am in a neighboring fairway, the GPS will always have my yardage back to my green.  Manage your misses.  👍

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I have both. I cannot play without at least a GPS on my hand. I tried playing with one or another. In my own test, GPS is more than enough. But where the range finder shines for me is when I hit approach shots from 100 yards and in. Especially shots from 50 yards to 30 yards. 

When I started shooting pins using my range finder from 50 yards below, I got some weird looks from my buddies at first. I started doing this because a few years ago I got on a launch monitor and really dialed in that distance with my lone wedge. So far it worked great in real life. 

I usually use my GPS and only take out the range finder on approach shots from 150 yards and in. As for the value of my range finder, I got the Precision Pro and cost me half of the price of the more expensive ones. I would save it does save me about 2 to 4 strokes on short game shots. Maybe more on approach shots inside 150. 

Edited by msg
added info

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yea. Will do.  The bushnell one was off the charts. It was dead each round I went to use it.  For a while I assumed it was normal and just sucked.  The other one may last longer.  I’m just now into it about 6 weeks and not dead yet.  I expect it to be dead each time I click it. But that expectation is based off the other one. So maybe it will last like you’re saying.  Fingers crossed.  

I just store them in the pouch that came with the Bushnell hanging on my bag , which is in the back of my truck.  Which has a bed cover and carpeted bed.  So like a huge car trunk .  And there’s other things of the kids back there so bag can’t move an inch and won’t slide on that carpeted liner anyway. I don’t know. It was the worst electronics purchase I ever made really.  

Could also be a manufacturing defect, it's definitely not normal even with the extra power consumption of the vibrations.  If it's already in for service couldn't hurt to mention the problem to the CS department working on the unit.    Of course that's all assuming that you weren't unlucky enough to get a batch of really bad batteries.

Edited by Stuart_G

I have both (garmin s20 watch, caddytek rangefinder from Costco) and I think both are fantastic. I use the watch way more than the laser (as mentioned above, it’s especially useful when looking for errant shots).  Laser is nice for laying up to un marked places (trees, doglegs, mounds, etc), in addition to precise flag yardage. That said, you can get essentially the same setup (same laser-$140 on Amazon + garmin s10 watch-$99 on Amazon) for a bit less than I paid for my watch now. If I had neither, I’d consider this option.  If only picking one, I’d go for the watch.

Thank you for all of the input; this is great info.   I realize I've been too narrowminded when it came to its use.  The courses I frequent don't really have major obstacles in the fairway so I didn't really think of it as a tool on the tee box--just approach--so this really opened my mind and I'm glad I asked.  

I'm sort of a range junky so what @Cheesehead42said about using it on the range makes a lot of sense.  

51 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

FWIW I've used a Bushnell Tour X for the past 5 years and use 2 batteries in the course of 200+ rounds per year. Once this one has run it's course I'll go back to Leupold. The optics are better and it is virtually bullet proof.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

GPS watch also saves a TON of time if all you’re looking for is basic yardage (front, middle, back) and hazards.  Got a Garmin S series on Costco last year under $100 and haven’t used my rangefinder since.  If you don’t mind used, you can get the Garmin HR that does all basic golf GPS functions for about $50 on Swappa.  Totally worth it, can’t tell you the number of times I’ve seen players take out their rangefinder, fiddle with it for what seems like forever, only to shank the ball...then, rinse and repeat.  😐

I always joke that my rangefinder is the best club in my bag. I used the be the guy that had the course yardage book out to see tee shot landing areas, carry for bunkers, front of green, etc. and would have to pace off a sprinkler head. When the rangefinders came out I waited then bought a Bushnell V2 that is still kicking.  Like many said, its not distance to the flag, its distance to carry the bunker and be under the hole kind of information that makes it so valuable.  Playing with a correct distance is only part of the formula as you then need to think were is the best place to hit the shot, is it better to be longer or under the hole, etc. If you aren't using the device to strategize, you are missing out on what could be. 

As far as cost, I saw a Black Friday deal on a Costco device that was really good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, because unlike a driver, these things should last you quite a few years  and they don't have bad days. I think I paid 299 almost 8 years and its worth every penny. The question is how can you afford not to have one? 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

5 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Could also be a manufacturing defect, it's definitely not normal even with the extra power consumption of the vibrations.  If it's already in for service couldn't hurt to mention the problem to the CS department working on the unit.    Of course that's all assuming that you weren't unlucky enough to get a batch of really bad batteries.

Hate to say it. But I fed that thing batteries for 2 seasons.  Was buying in bulk from amazon.   Sounds incredibly dumb now. ( it was ) but I hadn’t ever owned a modern type finder.  I truly thought it was normal.   

worst part is from last convo I don’t think they are going to warranty it.  $500 down the tube.  Plus batteries of who knows how much.  Fingers crossed they can repair it.  The last step alternative is a discount on buying a new one.  I’ll refuse to do that and offer them bad press for it.  I hate to be that guy.  And rarely leave a bad review. But these things are relatively expensive.     If they repair it etc I’ll say the customer service was perfect.  Balls in their court.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

$500 for one, nope, no need to spend that much. I'm talking rangefinder.

Does it help, heck yeah.

But first the old rangefinder vs GPS 'debate'. GPS in a budget option won't give you distance to, and over a hazard. Rangefinder, even if needing to hunch down and shoot under tree branches will give you valuable information IMHO.

Now, use, even if only social and occasional rounds is valuable IME. And, again not for exact distance to a pin, but knowing distance to a hazard or to carry over a hazard. Even more useful and valuable if you're playing different courses. 

Off tee, shoot your planned drive direction and look for hazards (narrow fairway, bunkers, water, etc) then swing with commitment.

Approach shots, ping the bunker guarding the front, what's the carry? Can you make it with a reasonable swing, if not, what's the front of the trap ping, what club to lay up? 

Or, bunkers left and right, at about pin height? What's the front edge of the green? If going to the back to miss the bunkers if left right miss, What's trouble out the back? Go more club ok? Or layup less?

You can't get all that from pacing off yards or a GPS. I'll be bold and say if you use one with a course management approach you can save 5 - 10 shots a round. Planned execution with information vs a hit and hope approach?

Ask Santa for one.

Edited by hack2489
Typographic and Grammatical
  • Like 1

No way do you need to spend $500.

I bought a Bushnell Medalist about 10 years ago for about $200. It's their cheapest model but it works just fine for me. It goes through about 1 battery per year at most. I play about 60 rounds per year and practice 1-2 times per week from April to October. As noted above, it's great to use on the range as well.

I can't say how many shots it saves me but I would never want to play without it. I once forgot to bring it and the round was a pain in the rear end. Wandering around looking for a marked sprinkler head or pacing off yardage from a 200, 150, or 100 marker is no way to play golf. If you forced me to give up my range finder or 1 of my 14 clubs, I would give up a club--no question about it. I need the range finder.

Edit - If money is an issue given the limited amount of golf you play, I would consider downloading a free GPS app (assuming you have a decent smart phone). I downloaded 18 Birdies to use when I have a blind shot (usually happens a couple of times a round). I think it works well. I prefer the range finder when I have line of sight but a free GPS app would be much better than nothing or bumming yardage from your playing partners.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger

5 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

No way do you need to spend $500.

I bought a Bushnell Medalist about 10 years ago for about $200. It's their cheapest model but it works just fine for me. It goes through about 1 battery per year at most. I play about 60 rounds per year and practice 1-2 times per week from April to October. As noted above, it's great to use on the range as well.

I can't say how many shots it saves me but I would never want to play without it. I once forgot to bring it and the round was a pain in the rear end. Wandering around looking for a marked sprinkler head or pacing off yardage from a 200, 150, or 100 marker is no way to play golf. If you forced me to give up my range finder or 1 of my 14 clubs, I would give up a club--no question about it. I need the range finder.

Edit - I just thought of this. If money is an issue given the limited amount of golf you play, I would consider downloading a free GPS app (assuming you have a decent smart phone). I downloaded 18 Birdies to use when I have a blind shot (usually happens a couple of times a round). I think it works well. I prefer the range finder when I have line of sight but a free GPS app would be much better than nothing or bumming yardage from your playing partners.

I bought my Medalist whenever it was they first came out (maybe 2003 or 2004?) and used it for over a decade. When I got a fancy image-stabilized Nikon a couple years ago I gave it to the pro at my club and told him to donate it to one of the juniors or however he wanted to give it a good home. It had accumulated some dust and scratches so it wasn't as good from 200+ yards as when it was new but it still gave good yardages.

So yeah, I got my money's worth out of it. I also liked that it used plan old 9V batteries instead of fancy lithiums!

On 11/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, cschweitzer29 said:

• In the context of spending about the same amount of money as two-to-four irons or what a driver cost, how much value do you put in to knowing your exact yardage?
  • In the context of "value", how many strokes gained can you rationalize and quantify to your game because you have a rangefinder or GPS device? 

A GPS watch can be purchased for $100 and GPS (front-middle-back) yardage is more than sufficient to shoot 72. Buy a $100 GPS watch.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another guy who uses both; have for a long time now.  They do different things for me, both valuable. 

The watch really comes in handy on an unfamiliar course, especially one with firm bermuda greens where you only really want the distance to the front of the green on a lot of holes.  And the distance to hazards, which has been mentioned by several others, is also invaluable in club selection.

That said, the laser is a big deal, too.  And one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that, from time to time, you'll play a hole (or more) on a course that has been worked on, with greens being bigger or even in a different location than the GPS on the watch indicates. 

Both are information, and I don't think "TMI" applies to hitting golf shots, at least for me.  And both help hugely with pace of play as well.  But the newer, high end watches have an additional benefit of allowing club tracking pretty easily, so that after the round and as rounds accumulate you can get some really good data about how far you actually hit particular clubs, what your common misses are, etc.  (I'm a stats freak, I admit.)

My wife got me a cheap scope I have used a few times and I have used a few apps. But I can't justify the cost of a good rangefinder and I don't seemed ever wearing a smart watch in place of my Tudor.

I can see the value in it, but for me, guessing the range and the club is half the fun of it. Especially when I get it right.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray