What am i doing right?

I was a big fan of "The Office". There's a really funny scene where in one season, Michael Scott's branch is doing very well in sales , despite his idiocy. So the CFO comes to visit him and asks him plainly, "Michael, i don't know how else to say this, but what is it that you are doing right?"

This is how i feel about my swing. I don't like looking at it on video, It actually used to look a lot nicer....i generally look at it now the way women do when they are tagged in Facebook pictures and didn't have a chance to pose. I'm like "UNTAG ME, I WASNT READY!!!"....I have a weird backswing i find, like my takeaway does not look like a low index takeaway. I also have an unorthodox follow-through that is reminiscent of Paul Goydos, which is not a compliment. I have also been told i come through the ball weird....So i mean, that's pretty much 0 for 3 

Nevertheless, i am a 0.6 right now and have hovered around this for a while, have been a 0.0 in July the past 2 years. Ive played in some big competitions and help up OK. I'm clearly doing something that works fine. I don't really know enough about the swing to know what that is. 

Is there something here that i am actually doing well? That is a legit question for people who understand this stuff. It's really more a curiosity, because i don't want want to change anything. But, like dunder mifflin CFO David Wallace, i would like to understand why this is working. 

5 irons

3 woods

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70

Cobra F9 Tour 13 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS tour Prototype 85
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently nothing.  You are playing left handed.  JK, JK! LOL. I'll see myself out.

You are scratch, you are like a god to me. don't care what your swing looks like.

better looking than Nadal's, so thats a bonus. 

Posted Images

I think results is the most important thing.  You're basically scratch and that's the bottom line.  Do you remember Craig Perry?  He had one ugly a** swing which Johnny Miller said was a hacker's swing.  It didn't matter as he has one win under his belt. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

being the results guy is only fun when the results are good LOL

If i shoot 84 people would be like "well that makes sense"

If Adam Scott shoots 84 people are like "man, he must've really had an off day!"

But yeah overall i'm happy i just am genuinely curious if there's something i'm doing that is actually really good

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

Just now, milesgiles said:

Note of caution 

I wouldn’t go down this rabbit hole unless you are 100% committed to improving your swing. If you are satisfied with where you are at, don’t read about what you ‘may or may not’ be doing wrong, you will guaranteed lose it..

Yes definitely a fair point, but i'm not really looking to make any changes so i'll try to stick to the mindset that i'm just curious to know more about what i am doing one way or the other

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

4 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

being the results guy is only fun when the results are good LOL

If i shoot 84 people would be like "well that makes sense"

If Adam Scott shoots 84 people are like "man, he must've really had an off day!"

But yeah overall i'm happy i just am genuinely curious if there's something i'm doing that is actually really good

You're short game must be off the charts good if you're playing to scratch.  I can't really comment on your swing as I don't want to say something where I end up with my foot in my mouth with bad advice.  I'm not qualified to do so as well.  As a personal trainer, I can give you tips on what to do in the gym which will translate to getting in better positions in your golf swing and to improve your strength as well. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I think this is a fantastic post!  A lot of users would benefit from looking at this.  You don't have to be perfect, to be a good golfer. 

@MtlJeff - nice swing man!  I think it's a lot prettier than you are giving it credit for.  I would say there isn't anything you are doing, that is way out there or strange.  Just a few things you could work on, like all of us.  

Things That are Right

Posture - pretty good.  Nothing that pops out as a major issue.  

Grip - first thing you see in the video, is a nice method of getting the grip in the fingers and in the same spot every time.  Good stuff.

Forearm Rotation - Although there are different methods.  I like the external rotation, seems more natural to me in the golf swing.  

Pivot - Although not perfect...a lot is right here.  Hips moving up and behind.  Not rotating just sideways.  

Position At Top - Bottom Line - looks pretty good - nothing over the line, nothing over rotated - back to the target - great shoulder turn - MOST important - hips are not over rotated.  Head Position - still looking at ball.  Good stuff!  

Impact - I wish we had a FO view.  Although, there are some issues here.  I think most importantly his hands are equal to or slightly ahead of ball at impact.  This is what I wish more golfers understood.  By finding a way to keep your hands a head of the ball - that's a big part of how better golfers hit the ball more straight.  They still have their misses, but the dispersion is smaller because the club is square to the target longer.  

Finish Position - Not bad, but also not great here.  Big thing is he is finishing into the lead heel.  Ground forces are working his momentum in the generally correct direction.  

Tempo - This is another big one.  Tour players are 3:1 tempo.  And I didn't break this down, but you can just see that he is on 3:1 or very close.  There's a rhythm to the swing and he has it.    

There are obviously some things he could work on there.  Most notably you see him stand up at impact.  But since OP is asking for what's right.  That is all I'll mention.  Also I'm not pro - and understand that there will be different views on what is right or not here.  This is just my view on it.  

Thanks for posting @MtlJeff.  Again nice swing!  

5 minutes ago, Moonlightgrm said:

I think better camera angles on both videos would reveal much more. 

What type of angle? I have some from further back where you can see the full action....But they are still at ground level

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

Looks like you have a consistent grip and consistent rhythm. Those in itself can take one a long way.

M5 (9.0 set to 8.25), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

M5 (15.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

TSi2 18.0, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, -0.5", GP Tour Wrap Midsize

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), PX 7.0, Red Dot, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

Glide 3.0 (51.13, 55.13, 60.06TS), PX 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

Dual Force Rossie #1 (33", 79 lie)

Pro V1X

Impact impact impact.  Sounds crisp to me boss.     Only thing that I’d ask about is the inside rehearsal  move.  But that’s just me. I rehearse the opposite , so taking it inside makes my eyes rain !  lol.   

• Like 1

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Impact impact impact.  Sounds crisp to me boss.     Only thing that I’d ask about is the inside rehearsal  move.  But that’s just me. I rehearse the opposite , so taking it inside makes my eyes rain !  lol.   

Is that my waggle? It's less a rehearsal move and more just a waggle to make sure i've gripped the club correctly. I want to look down at the face and make sure i have gripped square. It's not really practicing a takeaway it's more for my clubface alignment truthfully

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

33 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

I think this is a fantastic post!  A lot of users would benefit from looking at this.  You don't have to be perfect, to be a good golfer. 

@MtlJeff - nice swing man!  I think it's a lot prettier than you are giving it credit for.  I would say there isn't anything you are doing, that is way out there or strange.  Just a few things you could work on, like all of us.  

Things That are Right

Posture - pretty good.  Nothing that pops out as a major issue.  

Grip - first thing you see in the video, is a nice method of getting the grip in the fingers and in the same spot every time.  Good stuff.

Forearm Rotation - Although there are different methods.  I like the external rotation, seems more natural to me in the golf swing.  

Pivot - Although not perfect...a lot is right here.  Hips moving up and behind.  Not rotating just sideways.  

Position At Top - Bottom Line - looks pretty good - nothing over the line, nothing over rotated - back to the target - great shoulder turn - MOST important - hips are not over rotated.  Head Position - still looking at ball.  Good stuff!  

Impact - I wish we had a FO view.  Although, there are some issues here.  I think most importantly his hands are equal to or slightly ahead of ball at impact.  This is what I wish more golfers understood.  By finding a way to keep your hands a head of the ball - that's a big part of how better golfers hit the ball more straight.  They still have their misses, but the dispersion is smaller because the club is square to the target longer.  

Finish Position - Not bad, but also not great here.  Big thing is he is finishing into the lead heel.  Ground forces are working his momentum in the generally correct direction.  

Tempo - This is another big one.  Tour players are 3:1 tempo.  And I didn't break this down, but you can just see that he is on 3:1 or very close.  There's a rhythm to the swing and he has it.    

There are obviously some things he could work on there.  Most notably you see him stand up at impact.  But since OP is asking for what's right.  That is all I'll mention.  Also I'm not pro - and understand that there will be different views on what is right or not here.  This is just my view on it.  

Thanks for posting @MtlJeff.  Again nice swing!  

Thanks for all of that detail. That was kind of what i was wondering about, like a few comments as to why this isn't a total sh*tshow. 

The comment about standing up at impact i have gotten before. The person who said was pretty adamant this was a really big deal and couldn't believe i was playing good golf. 

I don't really know much about that, the swing feels natural to me and i feel like i get good power through impact. I don't even really know what i am doing wrong so to speak. 

Though as mentioned, i'm old now, and don't really want to invest in too much change

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

If you're getting good results (and as 0.1 index clearly you are) I wouldn't worry about the aesthetics of the swing.  As you said there are plenty of Tour pros with non-standard elements of their motion, but they can all put the club on the ball consistently.

The only reason I commented was because of your takeaway move, in that it's similar to mine, at least the one I've developed over the past two years after losing some weight (about 50 lbs) and losing feel for the club in the swing.  It looks like you roll your wrists a bit and get that tell-tale separation of the upper lead arm from the armpit in the takeaway, but then you get it in a good position at the top (if a little long maybe, tough to tell from camera angle), where I lift my arms and get no depth (I'm working on it).  Impact looks/sounds pretty good and your pressure shift is as well.

I'd be interested to see what Monte thinks - he tends to hone in on the one thing that's holding someone back. Clearly you aren't really being held back, except from getting to a + handicap.  I'd like to know what he thinks the one big thing is here.

Titleist 915 D2 12*, GD AD BB 6S

Titleist TS2 16.5*, Diamana LTD S+ Blue 80S

Titleist TS2 21*, Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
Miura CB 801 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Crescent Neck LH, 34"

28 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

What type of angle? I have some from further back where you can see the full action....But they are still at ground level

A tripod would be helpful, but at the very least, a bit more depth so that we can witness the club positions throughout the swing. A face-on view as well as your down the line view would add to the analysis. 

As you’ve stated, “this is a legit question” and if you “want to understand this stuff”, then better video is necessary. 

8 minutes ago, Moonlightgrm said:

A tripod would be helpful, but at the very least, a bit more depth so that we can witness the club positions throughout the swing. A face-on view as well as your down the line view would add to the analysis. 

As you’ve stated, “this is a legit question” and if you “want to understand this stuff”, then better video is necessary. 

I currently don't have any from a tripod angle but will try to get someone to record one from a normal height 

Unfortunately I am usually at the range alone. 

• Like 1

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

"Golf is what the ball does!"......There are no places to put pictures on the scorecard, just enough room to write a number.....It doesn't matter how the swing looks as long as it is repeatable.....how many more bastardized cliches should I list?  I play near scratch as well and every winter I head to the indoor range and chase swing improvement and spend the springtime wondering why I am worse...then, come end of June start of July, I start to play well again because I don't practice anymore and just go play....I revert back to my normal pattern and I've gotten pretty good over the years of figuring out how to get the ball to go where I want it.  Bottom line.....you play near scratch, judging by the videos, you don't lack for ball speed...not saying that there couldn't be more in the tank, but....focus on the issues where you are losing strokes.  Most likely that will be inside 150 yards or through course management errors.  Bottom line, have fun because you have gotten to a level that almost most will never achieve...don't add strife by trying to rebuild anything.  Make small improvements that don't lead you down a rabbit hole of regret and disappointment...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I currently don't have any from a tripod angle but will try to get someone to record one from a normal height 

Unfortunately I am usually at the range alone. 

Camera needs to be focused at hand level and directly at the hands.   Can prop up phone on golf bag, or anything else available.  Don’t necessarily need a tripod.
See the tabs for distortions based on poor camera setup

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEexx5ZFWg_/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

I've come to golf from other sports that I was better at and it's completely normal. You see guys all the time who are better than they look at first glance, and also guys who are worse than they first look.

Hand-eye coordination/talent/skill/whatever you want to call it plays a huge role, it's not all about technique.

Brad Gilbert was like tennis' Craig Parry in that his strokes were gross but he spent heaps of time in the top 10. A more modern example is Daniil Medvedev; no coach would teach a kid to hit a forehand like that.

Jeff,

you’re a scoring machine ... that’s the end goal 

you can google early extension and why YOU need to do it.  

My guess is more width going back and more turn thru impact would create space to get your club longer past impact and more targetwards extension

I feel your pain / quest / inquisitiveness ... my action isn’t pretty but effective most of the time.  Sometimes I feel like I’m one cleaned up move from being 3 shots better every day

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x & 7w 19.5* Bboard 73x 

Cally Apex '19 4h & 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Callaway x-forged UT 27* AD DI 85x

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Is that my waggle? It's less a rehearsal move and more just a waggle to make sure i've gripped the club correctly. I want to look down at the face and make sure i have gripped square. It's not really practicing a takeaway it's more for my clubface alignment truthfully

Gotcha. I get that. 

I’m not the one to judge anybodies move.  But like I said.  Impact sounds crisp.  You have to be doing plenty right.  

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Jeff, I don't want to hijack your thread. But, just curious. What do you think you're doing right, that your higher handicap friends are doing wrong?

You may not know. I played with a scratch golfer recently, who could not articulate what he did right. The best he could say was it feels like I am throwing the club.  

Nice swing!  It is possible to win the US Open standing up at impact:

PayneStwGhmp.jpg.e4f678ac48cb7521f6084531005a2316.jpg

• Like 1

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

1 hour ago, Tanner25 said:

Jeff, I don't want to hijack your thread. But, just curious. What do you think you're doing right, that your higher handicap friends are doing wrong?

You may not know. I played with a scratch golfer recently, who could not articulate what he did right. The best he could say was it feels like I am throwing the club.  

Its an interesting question,  to be honest when I swing i feel good. Like I feel like I am swinging like Adam Scott until I see it on video and want to barf. The comments about tempo are much appreciated,  I do feel like I have good tempo, and I have spent a lot of hours at the range grooving the action. So I feel like I have a repeatable action with good timing and tempo,  and I come through the ball with a square face . Thats about the best way I can describe it. Squaring the face at impact when I come through the ball has been my biggest focus for years. That may sound obvious,  but its just how i always saw that game....when I come through the ball, how do I grip and swing the club so the face comes through square 

But then I see it on video i don't think it looks good. I have never had a lesson and this is what I ended up with 

Kinda the best way I can describe it. I have friends who are 5-6 indexes and I feel they have better swings than me. It doesn't make me jealous,  I imagine they could look at my scores and not care what swings looks like....but it makes me wonder why I can hit the ball better when its so unorthodox,  if that makes sense 

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 1

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

Clearly all of your moves are working together. One might say your swing is...indestructable?

• Haha 1

EpicSZ /// Speeder665
XRPro'16 /// Revenge75
913F /// S+80

RailH /// 950FW
762DCI /// GS95
FGTourTC /// DGR300

WhitHotPro3
A man has two lives. The second begins when he realizes he only has one.

Respectability is a prison where all the gates are left open and the inmates beg to stay inside.