My brief blade experience

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Why would you want to know or care about spin rate ? You who seem to know everything about everything ? I am agog. I am aghast. Is Marius in love at last ?) (<--- never mind - obscure reference :classic_laugh:)

So you'd never have a reason to know how far it flew and how far it ran out ? You'd know that you optimized your launch conditions ? 

Glad you've got it all covered. Good for you.  :classic_wink:

Not long ago there were no launch monitors or players talking about spin rates. Yet, for a hundred years players were able to strike great shots and shoot low scores.

• Like 4

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People forget ..... once upon a time , in a galaxy far , far away..........   everyone played a blade.  And everyone smiled . 

This is a true story, i was at an LM once and they had the trackman set up on the right side of the mats. I am a lefty however so the guy had to move it over to the left side of the mat, and it was pl

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, I have been obsessed with playing blades lately. So I took a trip to my local range today and picked out an old Lynx USA 7 iron blade from the rental rack (I don't o

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Yeah i know (wink)....i mean i didn't want to seem elitist

When I’m playing the MP4s it’s down to 2 yards...again I’m not joking 🤫

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

I think an annual hour or 90 minutes on trackman to nail down your carry yardages and gapping is time and money well spent (especially since I just went thru this)

Even tour player +8 handicaps learn they have two clubs that are too close in carry yardage .. or too far from these these sessions

Watched a 10 cap buddy do his fitting two days ago and his 4h and 5i were 3 yards apart .... just sayin'

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

5 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Not long ago there were no launch monitors or players talking about spin rates. Yet, for a hundred years players were able to strike great shots and shoot low scores.

In the same vane, I had a heated debate on Twitter with a journalist from one of the UK golf mags who more or less said that anyone who went on a golf course without a GPS or range-finder was an idiot. I used the same argument and he went back into his box 👍

Radius Classic 8

51 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

So, if I understand you correctly, a golfer can learn nothing useful about his or her swing from a range session or a launch-monitor enabled range bay session?

Range practice sessions are essential. Traditionally the best players listen to impact sound-feel, watch the flight of the ball, pay attention to their divots etc...

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

On 11/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Fairway14 said:

:classic_laugh:

Because they didn't know any better. Good Lord man, wake up and smell the new millenium. You're 20 years late.

And now players hit a lot MORE great shots and shoot way MORE lower scores,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yeah ?

Well 100 years ago I walked to school 20 miles each way in the freezing weather.

Then Mom got me a horse. Still got cold but for much less time.

Then Dad bought a car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by nsxguy
  • Haha 2

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

1 minute ago, cardoustie said:

I think an annual hour or 90 minutes on trackman to nail down your carry yardages and gapping is time and money well spent (especially since I just went thru this)

Even tour player +8 handicaps learn they have two clubs that are too close in carry yardage .. or too far from these these sessions

Watched a 10 cap buddy do his fitting two days ago and his 4h and 5i were 3 yards apart .... just sayin'

I have done a session (on I want to say ‘Vector’ monitor but I can’t remember) a while ago because I could tell that my 15* 3-wood and 17* 2-hybrid were going a similar distance. The 3-wood was carrying 10 yards further but after run was taken into account there was about 2 yards difference. Really low penetrating flight with the 2-hybrid which is great for driving on links courses in the wind. Pro got me a strong 13* 3-wood to get the gaps sorted so  trackman does have its uses...I just wouldn’t build a bag around its results.

Radius Classic 8

17 minutes ago, mahonie said:

A tenth of a second after I’ve made impact, with an iron, I know within 5 yards where the ball is going to land, both length and direction...unless I’ve topped it (there are too many variables with the running ball ;-).

I’ve never used trackman to understand my distances and I’m usually within 5 yards when my buddy asks me for a distance to check against his GPS...I’m not joking and I’m going off the 150 yard markers most of the time. If a shot looks like a 6-iron when I walk up to it, I always take the 6-iron, even if my buddy says that it’s only 150 yards (I don’t ask him but sometimes he can’t resist). If I take the 7-iron I’ll feel that I need to step on it a bit and typically mishit it. Smooth 6-iron, I’m more likely to be within my target zone.  I’ve played in windy conditions where knowing how far you hit a particular club is irrelevant...you have to use feel.

Don’t be wedded to trackman distances...there are too many variables coming into play to rely on them.

You were fine up until saying this. Haha That is just an absurd thing to claim, 1/10th of a second come on man. 

I don’t have a a Trackman but theres a reason when you watch pros warmup there’s a trackman behind almost every single one of them, they are understanding how far the ball is traveling on that day. They wouldn’t use it if it wasn’t giving them something they couldn’t already see or feel. 

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

I'd bet DJ would argue there is merit to heavy Trackman usage

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

16 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

:classic_laugh:

Because they didn't know any better. Good Lord man, wake up and smell the new millenium. You're 20 years late.

And now players hit a lot MORE great shots and shoot way MORE lower scores,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yeah ?

Well 100 years ago I walked to school 20 miles each way in the freezing weather.

Then Mom got me a horse. Still got cold but for much less time.

Then Dad bought a car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am all for technological improvements. The current clubs, balls, course maintenance, riding carts and push carts etc... are all significantly better than they once were.

But not everything new is better. It's probably about 50/50 whether launch monitors have helped or harmed players games.  Half the players , yes, half the players, no.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

4 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

I am all for technological improvements. The current clubs, balls, course maintenance, riding carts and push carts etc... are all significantly better than they once were.

But not everything new is better. It's probably about 50/50 whether launch monitors have helped or harmed players games.  Half the players , yes, half the players, no.

Where in the world are you getting this from?  50/50 ?  Is this from the same place that lets you know your spin rate just after impact?

Man, imagine thinking you know this much about golf that you know the percentage of improvement that Trackman has provided off the top of your head.

You are either the smartest golfer I've ever interacted with or you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* 419-TFC Stiff Flex

SIM 15* Ventus Red 6X

Mavrik 4-SW Project X 5.5

PM Grind 64* Dynamic Gold Wedge

Bettinardi QB5

9 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Where does the 50/50 stat come from? Unless it’s inaccurate I’m not sure how data is going to harm somebody. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

22 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

How has trackman hurt Tour players?

• Like 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818H2 19*

Titleist 816H2 23*
Wilson V6's  4-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

9 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

How has trackman hurt Tour players?

For example, while trying to chase particular numbers a player makes harmful swing changes.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

58 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Where in the world are you getting this from?  50/50 ?  Is this from the same place that lets you know your spin rate just after impact?

Man, imagine thinking you know this much about golf that you know the percentage of improvement that Trackman has provided off the top of your head.

You are either the smartest golfer I've ever interacted with or you have no idea what you're talking about.

He has no idea what he is talking about.  In this instance, he would maybe come up with Luke Donald as an example of chasing numbers hurt him (yet surprisingly enough, couldn't even answer the question with a name when directly asked for clarification), but the reality is he was basically a non issue because of the changes to the game (bigger, faster, stronger), and HAD to change to continue to be competitive.  

The 50/50 number is him trying, as usual, to sound like an informed person, when his arguments are easier to pick apart than wet noodles.

We have been in the LM era for a little while now and you are seeing the difference in more youth playing at extremely high levels faster than before.  Part of this is that more actual athletes are taking up golf rather than other sports like in the past, but the wealth of info at their fingertips has fast forwarded things immensely. 

Edited by gwelfgulfer

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple Leaf Dormie Headcovers

Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

Titleist TS3 16.5* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0

Edel 4-P w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TS-W S

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

28 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

For example, while trying to chase particular numbers a player makes harmful swing changes.

you think half of the tour has made harmful swing changes chasing numbers?! You said 50/50...

Edit just read post above. Got it. Of course, before trackman, nobody ever made harmful swing changes.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 1

SIM 15* Ventus Red 6X

Bettinardi QB5

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

Your opinions are duly noted. 

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

38 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

So that guy WON'T chase more distance if he didn't have a Trackman ??? :classic_tongue:

My goodness. You'll say pretty much anything to "defend" a position,,,,,,,,, no matter how silly it is.  smiley-angry037.gif.f2816a18ba9b68c814ed

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

So that guy WON'T chase more distance if he didn't have a Trackman ??? :classic_tongue:

My goodness. You'll say pretty much anything to "defend" a position,,,,,,,,, no matter how silly it is.  smiley-angry037.gif.f2816a18ba9b68c814ed

he also said a good player can tell his distance and spin rate after hitting the ball, so I’m not sure where the trackman being the catalyst comes in...

SIM 15* Ventus Red 6X

Bettinardi QB5

1 hour ago, bschett said:

You were fine up until saying this. Haha That is just an absurd thing to claim, 1/10th of a second come on man. 

I don’t have a a Trackman but theres a reason when you watch pros warmup there’s a trackman behind almost every single one of them, they are understanding how far the ball is traveling on that day. They wouldn’t use it if it wasn’t giving them something they couldn’t already see or feel. 

I can tell by the strike I’ve had where the ball is going before I’m halfway through my follow through...I’m sure most players can unless they have fists of ham.

If you’re a pro and dialling in a wedge on the range before going out for a round, trackman is a great tool, I’m not disputing it. But hacks building their whole golfing experience around trackman on the range is not what golf is about...you’ve got to get out there and play clubs in the wild to understand what performance you’re going to get. My home course doesn’t have a flat lie anywhere except on the tee...work at the range is ok for grooving the swing, but doesn’t add much to ball-striking. 

Looking at the spin numbers is largely irrelevant once you’re playing clubs that you’re comfortable with and give you good gapping.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

2 hours ago, mahonie said:

In the same vane, I had a heated debate on Twitter with a journalist from one of the UK golf mags who more or less said that anyone who went on a golf course without a GPS or range-finder was an idiot. I used the same argument and he went back into his box 👍

Those types are fun.  I use a finder but. I’d be happy to put a healthy wager on beating him anywhere without one.  Lol.    Modern help is cool. It’s nice. But in the end with a game that’s a ball being struck by a stick.  The swinger of the stick is still the most important piece of gear.  

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

17 hours ago, jplroper said:

Are you sure about that , or are you thinking of the Lynx Parallax irons. They look like the eye 2's but with a more level top line.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:53 PM, longjohnpeter said:

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, I have been obsessed with playing blades lately. So I took a trip to my local range today and picked out an old Lynx USA 7 iron blade from the rental rack (I don't own a blade and had never hit one previously). While I did see a reduction in distance (more of a result of EXTREMELY crappy range balls and a 50 degree day), I couldn't believe how much more consistent my face contact was, compared with my Ping Zing's I currently use. And even on the few mishits, they weren't punished nearly as bad as everyone and their mother said they would be, and I knew exactly what had happened and could adjust accordingly.

Anyone have a similar experience? Is this just a honeymoon phase? Or is the golfing elite trying to preserve the sanctity of blade irons?

17 hours ago, jplroper said:

Are you sure about that , or are you thinking of the Lynx Parallax irons. They look like the eye 2's but with a more level top line.

I’m sure - they are cast and have a shaft over hosel design.

I remember when they came out.

Quite expensive - and State of the Art Design - allowed redistribution of weight from the hosel to the clubhead.

Nice feeling but definitely Not a Blade.

46 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

he also said a good player can tell his distance and spin rate after hitting the ball, so I’m not sure where the trackman being the catalyst comes in...

What he’s saying is that guys didnt have the info to experiment with before.   Just because i can tell you shot for shot which spins more or less , doesn’t mean I can tell you how i got there. Having a lot of access t trackman myself , I can attest that it makes it easy to experiment swing for swing to see what effects what.   It’s instant feedback on a grip , or path change etc. 

that being said. I don’t use it much.  I don’t care for it.  It’s caused several harmful rabbit holes for me , and in my opinion works against my natural tendency to feel my way around.  By that I mean it causes my ocd brain to want to perfect numbers etc. chase max carries with each club etc.  which requires perfect strikes. Not perfect as in solid - middle etc. but perfect as in aoa -path - etc. launch conditions.  I can take a 7 iron and vary carry 20 yards depending on spin - aoa and shape.  In my opinion that’s opposite thinking to any truly great iron player. You see a shot and you hit it. Window , shape and spin.  You get to know what club will do that.  Control is the name of the game.  Not max carry.  You aren’t out there trying to recreate the 1 in 20 perfect launch characteristics.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Rogue 130 70x 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

40 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Reading comprehension, please.

If you look again you will find that I wrote that a player should know from impact sound-feel and watching the ball fly whether he struck the shot solid. Regarding spin rate, I questioned why any player would want to know that number. Again, a player can and should learn from watching his shots; it's an integral part of the game.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Those types are fun.  I use a finder but. I’d be happy to put a healthy wager on beating him anywhere without one.  Lol.    Modern help is cool. It’s nice. But in the end with a game that’s a ball being struck by a stick.  The swinger of the stick is still the most important piece of gear.  

To be fair I’ve just started using a GPS app on my watch and for me the jury is still out. I typically pick the club for the shot as I’m walking to  the ball...knowing the exact yardage is just a complication and plays with my head lol. 

Radius Classic 8

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t use it much.  I don’t care for it.  It’s caused several harmful rabbit holes for me , and in my opinion works against my natural tendency to feel my way around.  

That is an excellent example of how using launch monitors can be harmful to one's game. And your comments above are from a playing perspective.

When one uses a launch monitor to fit a person for clubs more harmful factors emerge. For example, a fitting session including multiple consecutive swings with one club , from a flat level lie, is so completely different from playing a golf course that it's likely counter productive to finding the most appropriate club design/specifications. As always, there is no substitute for playing shots during a round of golf and learning from that.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

3 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

That is an excellent example of how using launch monitors can be harmful to one's game. And your comments above are from a playing perspective.

When one uses a launch monitor to fit a person for clubs more harmful factors emerge. For example, a fitting session including multiple consecutive swings with one club , from a flat level lie, is so completely different from playing a golf course that it's likely counter productive to finding the most appropriate club design/specifications. As always, there is no substitute for playing shots during a round of golf and learning from that.

Well, I can tell you after being fitted for irons on trackman the last two sets I will never buy another set without doing so. 

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818H2 19*

Titleist 816H2 23*
Wilson V6's  4-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

7 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Well, I can tell you after being fitted for irons on trackman the last two sets I will never buy another set without doing so. 

Hang on...what was wrong with the first set that you had to buy another one? 🤔

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8