The Match 3

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish I could play a round with Phil... The insight that guy brings is amazing   Got to say Barkley has improved tons... When I first heard about this match I was like poor Phil b

Phil makes for good tv

I'm curious what are the handicaps of the posters saying there is no way he is +2 or +1. I have a feeling you guys are high handicaps and have a unrealistic expectation of what you think a +1 hc is. 

3 minutes ago, Str8Putt said:

I wish I could play a round with Phil...

The insight that guy brings is amazing

Got to say Barkley has improved tons...

When I first heard about this match I was like poor Phil but Charles has put some in the fairway that allowed Phil to swing away...

They're crushing it. I put 2 bills on it now I wish it had been 2 large.

I read that barkley used to actually be good before he got that hitch and that the short game has always been serviceable. I figure if he hits it 100 yards forward in the fairway that phil could hit the green from anywhere. Not that far off.

Making Curry look awful.

1 minute ago, Justsomeguy said:

They're crushing it. I put 2 bills on it now I wish it had been 2 large.

I read that barkley used to actually be good before he got that hitch and that the short game has always been serviceable. I figure if he hits it 100 yards forward in the fairway that phil could hit the green from anywhere. Not that far off.

Making Curry look awful.

Man you would've made some good bank because starting odds weren't close HAHA

Yeah I heard the same thing about Charles...Took so many lessons and screwed up his swing. 

Phil talks trash but at the same give so much good advice.

Curry is off today I guess. I kinda would've like to see Curry and Romo 

Cant find it on tv in Canada sadly 

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I was leaning towards Chuck and Philly Mick winning.  Usually, the pro/hacker combo beats out the low single handicaps golfers especially if it's alternate shot.  A touring pro can make up quite a bit for a hacker's crappy shots.  

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

20 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

If Curry's a plus 2 I'm Tiger Woods

I would've thought maybe just a bad day, but there were some driver holes where he hit irons, and didn't hit the fairway. Like, that could be a smart play in some circumstances, but not in this format at all.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of a + without a lot of tournament experience, but the guy is literally a pro athlete, a pg, very reliant on decision making.

2 minutes ago, Justsomeguy said:

I would've thought maybe just a bad day, but there were some driver holes where he hit irons, and didn't hit the fairway. Like, that could be a smart play in some circumstances, but not in this format at all.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of a + without a lot of tournament experience, but the guy is literally a pro athlete, a pg, very reliant on decision making.

there’s just no way a legit + handicap putts and chips like that...

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

10 hours ago, ND2005 said:

there’s just no way a legit + handicap putts and chips like that...

Probably an off day but I'm leaning towards that Steph is closer to scratch to 2 handicap.  He's plenty long off the tee and for the most part is a decent ball striker, but you're right, his short game can be iffy for a golfer of his caliber.  

Edited by phizzy30

I'm curious what are the handicaps of the posters saying there is no way he is +2 or +1. I have a feeling you guys are high handicaps and have a unrealistic expectation of what you think a +1 hc is.  A scratch golfer or even +2 they might not be able to travel with that HC. But most importantly how silly to gauge his HC based on a golf scramble that is made for TV and they are mic'd up and have a script to follow. Get out of here with this non sense. I have played with tons of + hc players and guess what? They are fully capable of crapping the bed like everyone else. 

The fact that Phil the legendary PGA pro was hitting balls OB at a course he freaking owns tell you how hard this game of golf is!!!!

Edited by nikeblades00
  • Like 2

The big problem with Curry is his short game is terrible. Top golfers get the ball in the hole around the green. His shot selection and technique on some very straight forward chips left me scratching my head. He putted poorly as well... So wild off the tee, average irons, poor chipping and bad putting ... maybe a bad day, but I'm leaning more towards a suspect HC.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I'm curious what are the handicaps of the posters saying there is no way he is +2 or +1. I have a feeling you guys are high handicaps and have a unrealistic expectation of what you think a +1 hc is.  A scratch golfer or even +2 they might not be able to travel with that HC. But most importantly how silly to gauge his HC based on a golf scramble that is made for TV and they are mic'd up and have a script to follow. Get out of here with this non sense. I have played with tons of + hc players and guess what? They are fully capable of crapping the bed like everyone else. 

The fact that Phil the legendary PGA pro was hitting balls OB at a course he freaking owns tell you how hard this game of golf is!!!!

I'm low teens at this point, have some definite full swing issues but good enough short game to keep it moving.

Maybe what I think a +1 +2 is is too lofty. Maybe the tv pressure got to him, bc despite being in the public eye it's not the same doing this as basketball. Maybe the pressure of the bets, or just being in awe of Phil possibly a top 10 ever guy...

I think the stories we hear here about being plus builds it up too much. I'd be interested to know how often that kind of player shoots over 80 without tournament tees.

Peyton played better overall and he's supposed to be a 6. I've played with 6's, and that was pretty consistent. Hit the fairway, miss the green but close, get on and 2 putt. Hit a few great approaches or putts.

• Like 1

I've got zero problem with seeing Steph Curry as scratch or even slightly better. Especially in this format under these conditions. It doesn't really matter much that he's a world class athlete - it's in another sport.  PGA tour golfers we see every week have  been trained to do all their lives, Steph is doing this as a hobby.

I've played with enough reasonably solid college scholarship players and local scratch-ish players (some slightly on the + side, some on the - side) to know that they can damn well put up a big number on any given day. Golfers at this level are very human and can look down right ordinary on any given day. In fact, most days, you'd not see much spectacular in their games. Scratch golf often looks pretty ordinary unless you're really tracking the scorecard closely. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I'm a 5 and it is my opinion that Steph may play closer to a scratch to 2 handicap.  I played a year on my college team(Cal State Northridge/CSUN) way back in the day.  I have 2 friends, one plays on the Mackenzie Tour(I train him) and the other played on the UC Riverside golf team and has been to Q school multiple times so I know what a + handicap and scratch golfer look like so I'm basing my opinion off of that.  I may be wrong with my assessment of Steph.  Don't get me wrong, he has a very good swing and has plenty of length.  It's his game around the greens that looked a bit shoddy at times during the match, but he could've had an off day which is possible. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, Str8Putt said:

When I first heard about this match I was like poor Phil but Charles has put some in the fairway that allowed Phil to swing away...

Yes, I was impressed too. I am sure a lot of people would have quit out of frustration, but you have to give him props for sticking with it. I was also glad to see he was hitting from the tees appropriate for his game. 

One funny moment was when Phil was yelling from the back tees, "Hit the 7-iron, hit the 7-iron!", when Barkley was getting ready to tee off. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, Str8Putt said:

I enjoyed that as well...how he would break down the shot/putt. 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:09 PM, Justsomeguy said:

Actually thought that was passable for fast conditions. It was the tee ball that surprised me.

Maybe playing with Mickelson really got in his head.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps it was nerves? I have known guys who could post a 67, but also once in a while shoot an 82. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I know, right? We see professionals miscue all the time, what I learned from that is not to get too upset when I do the same thing as I am no where in the same league as them, and if they can do it...

2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I know, right? We see professionals miscue all the time, what I learned from that is not to get too upset when I do the same thing as I am no where in the same league as them, and if they can do it...

Exactly!  I'm going to guess that a part timers +2HC score variation is much higher than a fulltime PGA pro's. Meaning the +2's off day is likely to look a lot worse than a Pro's off day on a non-tour course setup.

• Like 2

Give Steph a break, he's getting ready for the start of the NBA season. I doubt his game was anything approaching sharp. And we all know on here that lack of service makes the short game suffer. You can't take the rounds he shot in an actual pro event away from him. If that doesn't prove his game, then I don't know what does.

He and Peyton played like crap. It happens. I know I don't play anything approaching my best in alternate shot, you can't get in rhythm. They should have played their own balls, combined scores, and used their handicaps. That would have made it more interesting. Phil would have really needed to outrun the nuts if they did that, and I think he still could have. Plus, it would have went all 18 holes, instead of essentially being over after nine.  

Thank you to everyone and their feedback. 

I didn't miss anything. 

Maybe Phil should play by himself and give insightful commentary throughout, concurrently Bones could chime in on Phil's choice of shots via additional commentary and insight?    They are both so full of insight.   I wouldn't watch it.   

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Thank you to everyone and their feedback. 

I didn't miss anything. 

Maybe Phil should play by himself and give insightful commentary throughout, concurrently Bones could chime in on Phil's choice of shots via additional commentary and insight?    They are both so full of insight.   I wouldn't watch it.   

You really didn't miss anything. It couldn't have been more boring. 

What do you get when you combine a man who knows everything with a man who can be very funny but has no jump-off points (because he is being treated like a child the entire time) with two other guys who are smart and funny but also have a fair amount of dignity and happen to be bereft of their golf games that day? You get the perfect storm of mediocrity. I mean it was almost as bad as that smoldering turd of a run-on sentence I just typed.  

There is a reason these things used to be recorded and professionally assembled before consumption, but I'm not even sure that could have saved it.    

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

You really didn't miss anything. It couldn't have been more boring. 

What do you get when you combine a man who knows everything with a man who can be very funny but has no jump-off points (because he is being treated like a child the entire time) with two other guys who are smart and funny but also have a fair amount of dignity and happen to be bereft of their golf games that day? You get the perfect storm of mediocrity. I mean it was almost as bad as that smoldering turd of a run-on sentence I just typed.  

There is a reason these things used to be recorded and professionally assembled before consumption, but I'm not even sure that could have saved it.    

I def got the feeling that Barkely was getting annoyed especially towards the end of the match because Phil kept talking to him like he was a complete noob.  I love Phil's insight, but he can be a bit overbearing at times(especially the Zen thing) and that's me putting it nicely.  All participants seemed to be classy for the most part in my book. I thought the match was very entertaining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I def got the feeling that Barkely was getting annoyed especially towards the end of the match because Phil kept talking to him like he was a complete noob.  I love Phil's insight, but he can be a bit overbearing at times(especially the Zen thing) and that's me putting it nicely.  All participants seemed to be classy for the most part in my book. I thought the match was very entertaining. 

I thought the same thing. It was on a green later in the match when Phil came walking in to get a read, Charles said something to the effect of “I got it, right edge” and looked like he was trying to get in and hit the putt before Phil could step in and start coaching. 

Im a Phil fan, but I have to admit I thought his coaching was getting a bit over the top. All the continual ,” come over here, I want you to look at this”. I’m sure Charles was thinking, just give me the damn line, I don’t need to analyze it from every angle, that’s why you’re here. 

• Like 1