Could a top ten golfer today survived in pre 60’s golf?

NoTalentLefty

6 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I think you over romanticize golf and classic era golfers.  Low score paid the bills.  Professional golfers played to make a living.  They would do anything within the rules to win and make money.  They didn't shape shots because it was aesthetically pleasing.  They did it because it allowed them to keep the ball in play with the equipment available.  They tried to hit fairways off the tee because the full value of length wasn't appreciated by most.

I started attending golf about 10 years before the 460 era. All shapes and sizes played the game all different ways.

i standby what I said a few months ago. If you’re an aspiring pro and can’t swing at 120 mph plus (and the vast majority never will whatever they do) than find another sport. Tragic really 

4 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

It’s no different, both extremely talented. I played small headed drivers back in the day  and actually they are easier to be accurate with and work the face, they just don’t go as far.

Blades are still pretty much the same and pros today are masters with them 

Strange, there doesn’t seem to be a players union revolt over 460s and game improvement irons 

18 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I think you over romanticize golf and classic era golfers.  Low score paid the bills.  Professional golfers played to make a living.  They would do anything within the rules to win and make money.  They didn't shape shots because it was aesthetically pleasing.  They did it because it allowed them to keep the ball in play with the equipment available.  They tried to hit fairways off the tee because the full value of length wasn't appreciated by most.

Finally, someone with common sense, you're my new found girlfriend TP!

Paying bills is a whole different ballgame.

I have a video of Jackie Burke giving putting advice at Champions and afterward the listener thanked Jackie and said he would have never thought about that advice.   Quickly,  and in typical Burke fashion, Jackie said "well, if you were a pro trying to put dinner on the table you would have thought about it."  Quote off top of my head.

Edited by golfsticks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

No no no, you got it all wrong, they played for the love of the game. They were professional performers as well as the best athletes time has ever seen. They valued applause and admiration from their peers, so much so they did things that actually made the game harder. They were most certainly not glorified check chasers! 

Their shot shaping was as much a skill as it was the purest form of art. Technology has robbed the sport of this art, made it clinical, and its down right abhorrent. I have no idea how these good for nothing robots are paid so much.

/takes off rose colored sunglasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CD09D77D-034D-4839-B52E-E05E626641D9.jpeg.b868745490e9577897add2a93c12ae10.jpeg

• Haha 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

exactly. Hogan, reincarnated today would not be using a 1 iron. He'd probably have a mallet putter, a 60 degree lob wedge, and would most certainly work with the best club fitters on a trackman to test graphite shafts in his 460cc driver. Because he would want to win, and make money. Lowest score wins. You find the equipment that helps you shoot the lowest score on a given course. Dont blame the player for that. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

3 hours ago, milesgiles said:

I started attending golf about 10 years before the 460 era. All shapes and sizes played the game all different ways.

i standby what I said a few months ago. If you’re an aspiring pro and can’t swing at 120 mph plus (and the vast majority never will whatever they do) than find another sport. Tragic really 

Funny how Taylormade's entire driver lineup from 2010 was 460cc's and they were paying by far the most tee up money during that time to be the number one driver on tour...and pretty much every other manufacturer was over 430cc's and had 460cc options...

Golf Club Specs by Year | TaylorMade Golf

21 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Funny how Taylormade's entire driver lineup from 2010 was 460cc's and they were paying by far the most tee up money during that time to be the number one driver on tour...and pretty much every other manufacturer was over 430cc's and had 460cc options...

TaylorMade ruined golf as we know it, paying these schleps to tee it up with those monstrous heads, all just to make a profit. What a shame

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PureStrikes54 said:

I said 10 years BEFORE the 460 era.. early 90s

3 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

exactly. Hogan, reincarnated today would not be using a 1 iron. He'd probably have a mallet putter, a 60 degree lob wedge, and would most certainly work with the best club fitters on a trackman to test graphite shafts in his 460cc driver. Because he would want to win, and make money. Lowest score wins. You find the equipment that helps you shoot the lowest score on a given course. Dont blame the player for that. 

Yes we know. So what?

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

Yes we know. So what?

and you'd be arguing that Hogan couldn't compete back in the day.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

4 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I can see the thread now: "Palmer and Nicklaus could never compete with Jones or Hagen without their newfangled steel shafted clubs."

Tiger would only have 3 majors if he played along side Jack and Jack would have 38 majors if he played in the full modern era, no doubt in my mind

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Doubt it - did Snead hit the ceremonial tee shots at the Masters with a persimmon and steel driver ? He would've adapted like every one else. 

That's one big hunk of persimmon! 

sam-snead-hits-the-ceremonial-first-shot-to-begin-the-2002-masters-played-at-the-augusta-national-go-nsecutive-masters-tournament-reutersmike-blake-pjhb-2D42PBN.jpg.f18717ad502b48ca06c2efd26a64dcef.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

17 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

That is a photoshop, I can tell by the shadows. Snead would never stoop so low and play such ridiculously easy to hit clubs, even at that age. 

IIRC, that was his last year at the Masters and he took someone out in the gallery with that toaster. If only he had his old Wilson Dyna Power persimmon ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

On 12/4/2020 at 10:15 PM, Krt22 said:

Tiger would only have 3 majors if he played along side Jack and Jack would have 38 majors if he played in the full modern era, no doubt in my mind

On slower greens the short game wasn’t so important but Tiger at least did play with proper size drivers at the start of his career so you’d have to say he’d have had success in Jacks era. Trouble is it wasn’t just Jack but Arnold, Gary and then Watson to get past.

Jack in this era.. his strength was driving and long irons. The first is negated by the technology, the second is almost irrelevant. So yes, he’d struggle.

Hogan learnt with hickory shafts, but yes obviously he’d struggle as well with a swing grooved for for steel 

On 12/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, milesgiles said:

Why is this a bad thing.

If you're 5'9 and you aspire to be a pro basketball player, for all intents and purposes you should find another sport. Or if your max weight is 200 lbs and you aspire to be an NFL lineman, it's probably not going to work out

The ability to move the club quickly is fundamental to playing golf. It always has been and it always will. Transcendent players always have ripped it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Why is this a bad thing.

If you're 5'9 and you aspire to be a pro basketball player, for all intents and purposes you should find another sport. Or if your max weight is 200 lbs and you aspire to be an NFL lineman, it's probably not going to work out

The ability to move the club quickly is fundamental to playing golf. It always has been and it always will. Transcendent players always have ripped it. 

If you have to ask the question you’ll never understand the answer

SOME transcendent players ripped it, some didnt. Ted Ray was much longer than Vardon. Were Hagen or Sarazen that long? Trevino, Faldo? 

1 minute ago, pinhigh27 said:

Athletes always get bigger better and stronger over time . Just a way of life. You’re not going to be 5 5 and play in the nba. Just like if you slap it out there 275 you’re probably not going to play on the pga tour 

Get off my porch 

I'm not on your porch, I stay on mine and only view the world from one angle, from my rocking chair with a cup of spiked Ovaltine. 

17 hours ago, milesgiles said:

On slower greens the short game wasn’t so important but Tiger at least did play with proper size drivers at the start of his career so you’d have to say he’d have had success in Jacks era. Trouble is it wasn’t just Jack but Arnold, Gary and then Watson to get past.

Jack in this era.. his strength was driving and long irons. The first is negated by the technology, the second is almost irrelevant. So yes, he’d struggle.

Hogan learnt with hickory shafts, but yes obviously he’d struggle as well with a swing grooved for for steel 

This was going to be another post explaining just how wrong your statements are but then you'll just try to go sideways with some other inane comment about how Bobby Jones couldn't putt on today's greens or some other such nonsense. But then I am reminded of something about annoying a pig so I'll just leave this to others.