The 5 hour round

platgof

13 hours ago, Showtime9 said:

Problem is that the newcomers have no idea about etiquette in the sense that maybe is a good idea to pick up after your 12th shot.

It's not just newcomers. There are many people to this day that have played for a lifetime and still ignore common sense golf etiquette and never pick up regardless of score. Of course this is the anonymous internet where everybody is perfect and gets 18 holes in under 3 hours and everyone else is the problem. <smh>

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

I have encountered it a few times this year. I play for fun and honestly it doesn't get to me. I wait for a proper time and ask to play through.  The last time it happened to me, it was the group behind me on a par 4 that was getting infuriated. I hit my drive close to the groups second or third or more shot and the couple behind me was at the tee box. It was a solid 20 minutes for them to finish the hole before I could make my second shot. The couple behind me had waving hands and pacing back and forth. I let the big group in front tee off the next hole then after 2 of their shots and no green, I yelled and drove within 5 yards of the green. They said nice drive and apologised for holding me up.

• 1 month later...

There was nowhere to go yesterday - 2 groups ahead, 2 groups behind - thanks to the course totally disregarding its obligation to maintain intervals.

I knew someone who once arrived late for no good reason to a course elsewhere and still demanded to be slotted in.  The clubhouse attendant looked at him and said evenly, 'That's what tee times are for.'

Perhaps a bit combative but in hindsight the attendant was correct.  But it's the only time I've heard of such a thing.

Many starters' zeal for seeing payment receipts and yammering back and forth on radio to the clubhouse does not extend to maintaining intervals.  At best it's irresponsible.  At worst it's a virtual guarantee of a 5-hour round.

I usually try to do some subtle exhortation of ready golf by telling good-natured (?) anecdotes about slow play and slow players I've encountered in the past.  Everyone's typically in a good mood on the first tee and they nod or shake their head on cue when they hear about The Other Guy (TM) slowing things down.  Hopefully the point is made.  But golf is such a 'me' activity that poor shots, rub of the green etc. can induce negative emotions and they tend slow people WAY down.  They stomp, they look down, they trudge back to cart. They grumble, they take extra putts after a miss (apparently to fine-tune their mistakes) etc.

If my ball is teed up I'm probably already in my backswing so ixnay on the conversation.  Those who tend to talk way too much on the course - especially about their own game - will say 'Oh sorry I didn't know you were ready to hit.'  Once is a coincidence.  Twice is a pattern.  As Jerry Seinfeld might say, it's all very well to commit to playing ready golf, quite another to actually do it.

35 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

I knew someone who once arrived late for no good reason to a course elsewhere and still demanded to be slotted in.  The clubhouse attendant looked at him and said evenly, 'That's what tee times are for.'

As a starter I can tell you your tee time at our course means " balls in the air", not when to show. We have told late showers that are combative to go home, but usually I will tell them I will get you in just might b a bit of a wait. Luckily for me the shop refers all late shows to my decision as wether they can get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chillybilly said:

There was nowhere to go yesterday - 2 groups ahead, 2 groups behind - thanks to the course totally disregarding its obligation to maintain intervals.

Perhaps a bit combative but in hindsight the attendant was correct.  But it's the only time I've heard of such a thing.

Many starters' zeal for seeing payment receipts and yammering back and forth on radio to the clubhouse does not extend to maintaining intervals.  At best it's irresponsible.  At worst it's a virtual guarantee of a 5-hour round.

Proper spacing of groups is critical to flow.

Slowing groups from going off early is as important to speeding them up at times.

• Like 3

I played a course a couple weeks ago that had a tee sheet completely wide open after 10am except for a group that went off around 11:15am and me as a single at 1:00. The 11:15 group was two young guys playing the tips (neither of whom likely broke 100 from what I saw) along with their women who didn't have clubs but were hitting shots on every hole. I caught them on #9 fairway, didn't like what I saw, and I jumped to #10 while they went to the bar for more beer. The next morning I was talking with the cart guy who had also worked the previous afternoon. He told me that group didn't finish #18 until 4:20pm. 5 hours and 5 minutes with literally nobody in front of them the entire time, on a fairly easy pancake-flat course. Blows my mind how a round of golf could take that long with no waiting. The one guy's habit of taking 2 practice swings, backing away from the ball, re-addressing, taking another practice swing, adjusting his shirt, then hitting the ball 75 yards off the tee probably wasn't helping.

And yeah, that 11:15am group was a golfnow hotdeal time...the course got no revenue from them other than the beer they bought when the stuff they smuggled from home ran out.

Shrink the game, please. You may say "well the course was empty, they weren't bothering or holding up anyone" but next time the course might not be empty and it's going to cause a big problem.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

I played one yesterday in Rapid City, SD, actually 5 hours and 15 minutes.  There was a group in front of the group in front of us for a couple holes then they moved out of sight.  The group in front of us were a family, the father, son and daughter were decent players and the mother was a novice but ok.  There were a few holes they hit multiple tee shots and they were so slow on the greens.  Must have been putting for a major championship.  To make matters worse I really didn't like the course.  The greens had too much severe undulation and sloped quite a bit so fair pin placements to accept good iron shots were hard to come by.  Designing a course to be a severe and penal test isn't what makes a great golf course.  The designer should really study Donald Ross, Robert Trent Jones Jr., Allistar MacKenzie, Tom Fazio or a number of terrific golf architects.  Too many holes with a blind shots, including a par 5 with a blind tee shot, blind layup shot and blind approach into the green.  All the hole was missing was the Draw Bridge and Clown's mouth.  For certain I will never play this course again even though it is supposed to be the top rated public course in South Dakota.  Hmmmmmmmmm 🤔

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

No amount of tee time spacing can save some of these people. There is a percentage of weekend warriors that will simply never get it. You can identify them by common traits.

-Never ready when it is their shot. Often not even a club in hand.

-Never watching the line on their ball as it goes into trouble for the nth time.

-Searching a 75 yard area for 5 mins every lost ball. Sometimes multiple times a hole.

-Next to play helping their buddy search for 5 mins instead of hitting their shot.

-Entire group following each other around to every shot like a pack of lemmings.

-Sitting around counting up the damage and telling stories instead of clearing away from the green. 

-Driving 2 fairways over to top up, every time the beer cart is in sight. ~10 min stop at the turn guaranteed.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

In our 'noon', old man's game, it's said it's more important to play fast than to play good.  Most are good golfers and 3 hour rounds are not uncommon.  For guys like this, waiting every shot is a killer.   If I get behind a slow group, I'll always approach them with a 'friendly' attitude. If I get the chance I'll semi apologize to them saying I'm sure they feel like they're being pushed but we just play fast.  Usually, with this light hearted, friendly approach they will ask us to play thru.  Now if they have no golf etiquette or are jerks, you probably need to go around.    At our club, we have a fairly new guy who is a f---- idiot in the club house.    I successfully used my above strategy last week and the idiot jumped me about 'racing' around the course and not to do it again, today, That group told him they told us to play thro.  It's the second such incident with this idiot this month.  But that's a different issue that  I hope will be dealt with next week.