XXIO X Driver - end of year credit

prouse25

I have a bunch of shop credit I need to use before the end of the year. Been struggling with my driver’s consistency the last couple of months of the season.  A few of the guys I play with have switched to the XXIO clubs to gain distance as they age and they love them.  I am not looking for added distance - just consistency.  

A few months ago, I hit the X driver when the rep was doing fittings. It seemed effortless to hit (small sample size). Even though I was hitting it really well, the rep said “you are not ready for this yet”.  I am 50 years old / driver club head speed around 105 / index stays around 0. 

there are very few posts / reviews about XXIO on here.  I guess every 70 year old lady at my club that plays XXIO doesn’t post on golfwrx (just kidding). Anyway, are there any low handicap players with feedback?  

Season is over in the upper Midwest - this would be an impulse buy to use the shop credit. 

I don't play an XXIO, but I play every week with a guy who does. It's a few years old (XXI0 Model 8 I think.) Anyway, this guy is a driving genius. He almost NEVER misses a drive or a fairway. He's off 11, but if his irons & short game matched his driving, he'd be much, much lower. He swears by the club and vows he'll keep it til his grave.

I've played a round with it when I was looking at changing drivers & liked it. It was a really good club.

Anyway, the feedback I've got, and my own brief experience, is that they're a good club, well worth thinking about using your credits on. FYI

2 hours ago, prouse25 said:

I have a bunch of shop credit I need to use before the end of the year. Been struggling with my driver’s consistency the last couple of months of the season.  A few of the guys I play with have switched to the XXIO clubs to gain distance as they age and they love them.  I am not looking for added distance - just consistency.  

A few months ago, I hit the X driver when the rep was doing fittings. It seemed effortless to hit (small sample size). Even though I was hitting it really well, the rep said “you are not ready for this yet”.  I am 50 years old / driver club head speed around 105 / index stays around 0. 

there are very few posts / reviews about XXIO on here.  I guess every 70 year old lady at my club that plays XXIO doesn’t post on golfwrx (just kidding). Anyway, are there any low handicap players with feedback?  

Season is over in the upper Midwest - this would be an impulse buy to use the shop credit. 

Ernie Els plays an XXIO X driver on the Champions Tour and has done quite well with it. Play what you like if it fits you. Do not take the word of a rep when you have no idea of his background for "fitting" others. Wonder what the rep would of fit Ernie into LOL. The clubs you play don't know your age. Always always play what works for YOU based on your actual on course experience.

https://ernieels.com/golfnews/ernies-kit-list/

Edited by grm24

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

Ernie Els plays an XXIO X driver on the Champions Tour and has done quite well with it. Play what you like if it fits you. Do not take the word of a rep when you have no idea of his background for "fitting" others. Wonder what the rep would of fit Ernie into LOL. The clubs you play don't know your age. Always always play what works for YOU based on your actual on course experience.

Reps for the most part are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to pushing their products and what fits customers, however, in this case I tend to agree with you.  To the OP, I wouldn't listen to the XXIO rep in your case.  Your index says you can play almost any modern driver out there as long as you are fitted for the proper shaft.  My father plays the XXIO X model as well, plays to a 6 handicap and he's 72 years old.  He has the stock shaft in it as well.  He says he likes the shape of the head, the higher flight and the way it feels.  Says it's easy to load as well. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana ZF 60TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Buy it...at worst you could sell it

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

The XXIO / Srixon rep is a guy I have played with a few times and has come to our club for at least 15 years. We don’t know each well, but way better than the typical tech rep that you see for the first time. 

If I remember correctly there is either one or maybe two different shafts available for the driver. With a glued hosel, there wasn’t the typical modern fitting process. It’s almost like “here is our product/ philosophy, it either works for you or it doesn’t “. 

We did talk specifically about Erie. His setup is very custom compared to the standard (modified head / project x evenflow shaft). 

that being said, it’s just shop credit. I think I will take the plunge. 

I have the X with stock Stiff Myazaki 47 gram shaft.  It is a GREAT driver and fairway finder.  Now I am no spring chicken and my 115MPH ss days are a distant memory but I still get 105-107 with a pretty aggressive transition and it holds up well.  I'm 6'4" and 275 and going in there is no way in the world I would have thought this was going to work for me but it does.  XXIO has an excellent trial program where for $25 bucks they will send you the driver and you can demo it on course for 2 weeks which I did on a recent trip to Palm Springs.  If it works for you keep it and they will charge you.  If it doesn't you can return and all you are out is the initial fee.  

5 hours ago, Lobber said:

Sure it could be done but that would probably screw up the weighting in the grip.  That's a big part of the technology story.  It would be interesting to see how that impacted playability

Is the counter balance weight in the shaft or is it part of the grip?  I assume you can change grips without screwing up the balance. 

The weights on the driver are in the grip.  XXIO sent me a new oversize grip but no weights.  The CS person said to be careful when taking off the grip to avoid losing the weights.  I have not regripped it yet but assume the weight needs to be transferred to the new grip  Or the weight is actually in the shaft.  Ill let you know once I regrip

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first round with it today. Super “easy” to swing. Effortless is the word that comes to mind. One bad swing out of nine attempts. Missed a couple fairways - one through a dog leg and the other a drivable par 4 in a green side bunker. Slight tendency to draw the ball. 

I think the error with this club comes when you try to be really aggressive.  Playing again tomorrow. It might be a keeper. 

51 minutes ago, prouse25 said:

Played my first round with it today. Super “easy” to swing. Effortless is the word that comes to mind. One bad swing out of nine attempts. Missed a couple fairways - one through a dog leg and the other a drivable par 4 in a green side bunker. Slight tendency to draw the ball. 

I think the error with this club comes when you try to be really aggressive.  Playing again tomorrow. It might be a keeper. 

You will get the hang of the club after a few more rounds.  I normally have a very aggressive downward move but with this driver have learned to swing a bit easier and it is working great for me!

Shafts are whippy so depending on your swing, you may need to go with a stiffer shaft than you would with other manufacturers.  If you have a nice smooth swing they are great but if you try to put a little extra into it, you'll see a draw or hook which I believe is due to the whipping effect of the shaft.  

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

Not sure I agree about whipiness of the shaft.  I play the XXIO X with Miyazaki Stiff and it’s a great club. Yes I have slowed my tempo with the XXIO X but have not lost distance and have gained consistency.  I also on a TSi3 with GD Tour AD IZ which is anything but whippy. I can really go after it with that shaft but can hook it too.  My tempo is different with both clubs but both really perform well

2nd round - really aggressive swings do go left.  Luckily, my natural swing is a very smooth tempo.  You are right - no loss of distance compared to my previous gamer when swinging really smooth.  I was a little more erratic this round.  Tried to experiment a little more, but learned a few things.  Unfortunately, yesterday was the last round of the year - rain and snow today. 

Let it rest for a few months and it will be ready for the Spring!  I played this morning in San Diego where we can play all year.  Alternated between the X and TSi3 and I did pull a few right with the X when I went after it.  That being said they were not snap hooks and stayed in play.  I think the X is a great combo of distance, forgiveness and understated classic good looks. 

Up until today I continue to give the Titliest TSi3 an opportunity to assume 1st string in my driver rotation.  Try as I might it simply cant beat the XXIO X in my hands.  I was killing the ball this morning and did not miss a fairway.  My ability to make center face contact with this club is amazing.  There is truly something to the technology and placing weights in the grip.  And the best part is I don't have to swing out of my shoes to get awesome performance.  The TSi3 will soon be in BST.  If you are considering a new driver give the X a look and demo if you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, Rieflin said:

I don't play an XXIO, but I play every week with a guy who does. It's a few years old (XXI0 Model 8 I think.) Anyway, this guy is a driving genius. He almost NEVER misses a drive or a fairway. He's off 11, but if his irons & short game matched his driving, he'd be much, much lower. He swears by the club and vows he'll keep it til his grave.

I've played a round with it when I was looking at changing drivers & liked it. It was a really good club.

Anyway, the feedback I've got, and my own brief experience, is that they're a good club, well worth thinking about using your credits on. FYI

You sound exactly like me! I play with a guy every weekend who is 68 and absolutely bombs his xxio driver and maybe misses 1-2 fairways. His PW is only about 120, but easily one of the best drivers of the ball and he says its all about the xxio. We always joked with him that the driver was nonconforming. 

He let me hit it on the range and I was sold. Arrives in 5 weeks 🙂

• Like 1