Anyone else consider giving up the rangefinder.

I'll never give up my rangerfinder.  I rely on it so much it is like a crutch to me and I'll be totally lost without one.  Not only it gives me accurate readings in helping me choose the right club it also tells me when it is safe to tee off when I laze off the group in front of me and see if they are far enough away.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

15 minutes ago, llewol007 said:

I have a range finder but one of the best things I came across was an app that gave me distance and actual distance with slope included. It showed me how way off I was when there was any elevation change

What App is it that gives distance with slope included?

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Just now, 5baytjd said:

What App is it that gives distance with slope included?

It’s an App called 18birdie

You can try the app for free and the first go around you can utilize the caddie option that gives you the distance then actual. I ended up paying the premium just to have that option. So worth it. Didn’t even have to use my range finder even once. I was planning on purchasing the S62 Garson but felt like this worked just as well 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I’ll keep using mine, it’s faster

i still round yardages, if I have 168 for example, I just hit the 170 club .... there’s no hit it a whisker softer going on 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Last Feb. I was in Puerto Vallarta and going to play the Vista Vallarta Weiskopf course.  Higher end, but like a lot of Mexico courses, no GPS on the carts.  Lots of elevation change, tight corners, hidden hazards so lots of local knowledge I've got to try and get from lasering off yardages so I don't hit it where the snakes are waiting for me.  The starter told me to take a rake with me if I ever went into one of the many drainage hazards.  That's encouraging!

Get out onto the 1st fairway and my laser doesn't work? WTF?!?!?  After changing batteries - it's still dead.  Panic city.  When you're in a cart, you never look for sprinkler heads.  Where's the nearest sprinkler head?  Found one!  Pace it off.  165 to middle.  Somehow made 4.  Anyway between the 1st green and the 2nd tee it started working again.  No idea, but mighty relieved.  Realized just how dependent I had become on GPS or a laser. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

15 hours ago, Socrates said:

Last Feb. I was in Puerto Vallarta and going to play the Vista Vallarta Weiskopf course.  Higher end, but like a lot of Mexico courses, no GPS on the carts.  Lots of elevation change, tight corners, hidden hazards so lots of local knowledge I've got to try and get from lasering off yardages so I don't hit it where the snakes are waiting for me.  The starter told me to take a rake with me if I ever went into one of the many drainage hazards.  That's encouraging!

Get out onto the 1st fairway and my laser doesn't work? WTF?!?!?  After changing batteries - it's still dead.  Panic city.  When you're in a cart, you never look for sprinkler heads.  Where's the nearest sprinkler head?  Found one!  Pace it off.  165 to middle.  Somehow made 4.  Anyway between the 1st green and the 2nd tee it started working again.  No idea, but mighty relieved.  Realized just how dependent I had become on GPS or a laser. 

If you don't mind me asking, what brand is that rangefinder that let you down?  Was it Bushnell?

Edited by cgasucks

2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

3 hours ago, cgasucks said:

If you don't mind me asking, what brand is that rangefinder that let you down?  What is Bushnell?

Bushnell TourX.  Both times it has done it, has been after a prolonged period of inactivity and air flight.  It had power, it just wouldn't get out of some sort of setup mode.  Likely a combination of holding down a button or something that made it active.  Other than that, it has been flawless for at least 4-5 years.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

9 hours ago, Socrates said:

Bushnell TourX.  Both times it has done it, has been after a prolonged period of inactivity and air flight.  It had power, it just wouldn't get out of some sort of setup mode.  Likely a combination of holding down a button or something that made it active.  Other than that, it has been flawless for at least 4-5 years.

I know where you're coming from.  I've bought 2 top of the line Bushnell Range finders and they both konked out on me just like the way you described within 5 years of buying it.  I treated them very well as I never dropped them nor exposed them to rain.   You would think that their quality control would not be an issue since they're such a well known brand and made one of the first rangefinders.  I have since was fed up with that brand and got myself a Caddytek and has been working strong since.  That was 4 years ago.

Edited by cgasucks

I have both laser and GPS. GPS w/front-middle-back is what I really need most and the laser is a nice compliment for shooting specific targets. 

Certainty on a well marked course I could play without, but many courses aren't so well marked. Without DME I'd be wasting time looking for markers.

So NO, not looking to give up GPS or laser. If I had to give up on one I'd get rid of the laser as I don't even use it most rounds. Though on courses with enormous greens the laser is more important for me because front-middle-back difference could be significant. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

I know where you're coming from.  I've bought 2 top of the line Bushnell Range finders and they both konked out on me just like the way you described within 5 years of buying it.  I treated them very well as I never dropped them nor exposed them to rain.   You would think that their quality control would not be an issue since they're such a well known brand and made one of the first rangefinders.  I have since was fed up with that brand and got myself a Caddytek and has been working strong since.  That was 4 years ago.

I had a Bushnell that was well-reviewed by not necessarily top of the line that got wiped out after it barely got wet during a sudden downpour.  Have since had a relatively inexpensive Nikon that does nothing other than give me distances to the target (i.e. no slope, no vibrating), and it's been flawless for a few years now.  And it's tiny.  But I do keep it in the Bushnell case because it gives me room for batteries as well.

Edited by jordan2240
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

I had a Bushnell that was well-reviewed by not necessarily top of the line that got wiped out after it barely got wet during a sudden downpour.  Have since had a relatively inexpensive Nikon that does nothing other than give me distances to the target (i.e. no slope, no vibrating), and it's been flawless for a few years now.  And it's tiny.  But I do keep it in the Bushnell case because it gives me room for batteries as well.

I hear ya.  I still have their cases because of the reasons you described.  

• Like 1

I’ve had 3 failed Bushnell’s ... all replaced by warranty .. moved to Nikon .. never a problem since

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

One of the reasons I initially bought a laser was that I got tired of getting my yardages from markers or sprinkler heads that were flat out wrong.  Seems to be very common in the Caribbean where I would go for winter vacations.  That was 17 years ago.

The only reason I am using a Bushnell TourX and not something else (Nikon) was that a shop owed me store credit and that's all he had that I needed at that time.  T

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Rangefinders for getting yardage is like the internet for looking up info before when you had to open up a book or encyclopedia, manuals, dictionary etc... The efficiency, accuracy, and speed with which Rangefinders relay yardage should be used across the world, in professional play, etc... Speed up the game and make it easier for people to get what matters most, a yardage! Especially for good players, yardage is everything. Why have a caddie mess around with yardage books when you can just laser the pin, get a slope adjustment, pull a club and make a swing? If If I was a pro, I'd keep the caddie around for course knowledge, mental support, second opinions, and potential environment adjustment related decisions (wind, humidity, elevation, etc...). Only time I can say "dump the rangefinder" would be during short game routines (50 yds and in) or if you are practicing playing on instinct and judging depth purely with your senses. In any other scenario, rangefinder is a GO!

7 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I have both laser and GPS. GPS w/front-middle-back is what I really need most and the laser is a nice compliment for shooting specific targets. 

Certainty on a well marked course I could play without, but many courses aren't so well marked. Without DME I'd be wasting time looking for markers.

So NO, not looking to give up GPS or laser. If I had to give up on one I'd get rid of the laser as I don't even use it most rounds. Though on courses with enormous greens the laser is more important for me because front-middle-back difference could be significant. 

I never liked jewelry, not even a watch, so I certainly didn't want to wear one while playing golf.

But I decided to give it another try not that long ago mostly because of back pins. While I almost never go long I was tired of playing (too) short of back pins for fear of going over.

So I figured that shooting the pin and comparing the "back edge of the green" on the watch would at least give me my margin for error if I went long.

So I got a Garmin (S20 ?) watch.

Used it for a little bit until I shot a back pin of a very regular shaped green at 67 yards and the watch told me the back of the green was 62 yards. End of experiment.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, Members Only said:

Rangefinders for getting yardage is like the internet for looking up info before when you had to open up a book or encyclopedia, manuals, dictionary etc... The efficiency, accuracy, and speed with which Rangefinders relay yardage should be used across the world, in professional play, etc... Speed up the game and make it easier for people to get what matters most, a yardage! Especially for good players, yardage is everything. Why have a caddie mess around with yardage books when you can just laser the pin, get a slope adjustment, pull a club and make a swing? If If I was a pro, I'd keep the caddie around for course knowledge, mental support, second opinions, and potential environment adjustment related decisions (wind, humidity, elevation, etc...). Only time I can say "dump the rangefinder" would be during short game routines (50 yds and in) or if you are practicing playing on instinct and judging depth purely with your senses. In any other scenario, rangefinder is a GO!

Seems kind of funny that with all the advances in technology that ARE in use in pro golf, they wouldn't just allow the rangefinder.  Of course, that would put all the folks involved in those yardage books out of business, so maybe it's better for the economy if things stay as they are.  Certainly the pros benefit from knowing exact yardages - not sure it makes much difference for the average hacker like myself and most of the people I see playing on the public courses I play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Members Only said:

CANNOT use slope function in tournament play. 

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

29 minutes ago, 5baytjd said:

CANNOT use slope function in tournament play. 

"The efficiency, accuracy, and speed with which Rangefinders relay yardage should be used across the world, in professional play, etc."

I believe he was making a suggestion.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

When i finally took my game serious ( this year ) i upgraded from my Nikon Range finder to the Garmin Golf watch & Grint App Combo.. 

i use the garmin for exact distances to front middle or back.. and then check on my grint app to see how far the bunker is or how far to carry the water on some holes are... if i didn't know that.. id just be shooting blind and guessing.. 

plus with the distances i can zone in my clubs to those exact specs.. 67 yards out lets use my 56 degree 75%... boom im dropping that dime.. 

if i was just guessing id probably think 75 yards.. use that in my club and swing selection and be bombing it over.. 

was a real game changer when i really started to concentrate with the help of the garmin and grint app 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

"The efficiency, accuracy, and speed with which Rangefinders relay yardage should be used across the world, in professional play, etc."

I believe he was making a suggestion.

Thanks for your support. Yes the suggestion is true. Caddies are so good nowadays at calculating slope because they have either prior course knowledge or use the slope function in practice rounds practice play. That is what I learned from fellow NCAA athletes and pros alike 🙂

• Thanks 1

Small GPS with front-middle-back is usually more than enough for me.  I learned how to play (in the 90's) using the sticks and markers which are slowly disappearing from courses these days but I will still use them when I see them.  If I'm missing greens it's because I picked the wrong club (analysis of conditions, slope, etc) or hit a bad shot.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I have a Bushnell Excel watch and a Bushnell V4 Slope laser.  For me its not even close - the laser wins by a mile.  I now only wear my watch when playing a strange course where it comes in handy on blind shots.  The laser gives me readings for where I want my ball to end up (I'm in rough and have to lay up on par 5 for instance or for proper distance on dogleg tee shots).  Plus knowing exact distance to pin beats FMB numbers particularly on odd shaped greens.  

• Like 2

My $3 GPS app on my phone can get within 0-3 yards compared to laser rangefinders just by eye-balling the pin. Of course, that's only when I can see the bottom of the flagstick. Otherwise, front/middle/back is fine. What my GPS app does infinitely better than a laser rangefinder is pin-pointing the distance to areas of the fairway where I'd like the ball to end up. Or how much I need to carry over bunker in order to hit the fairway--not just the part of the bunker that the laser can hit.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

8 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

My $3 GPS app on my phone can get within 0-3 yards compared to laser rangefinders just by eye-balling the pin. Of course, that's only when I can see the bottom of the flagstick. Otherwise, front/middle/back is fine. What my GPS app does infinitely better than a laser rangefinder is pin-pointing the distance to areas of the fairway where I'd like the ball to end up. Or how much I need to carry over bunker in order to hit the fairway--not just the part of the bunker that the laser can hit.

Just curious as to why you would laser the bottom of the flagstick?

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

4 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Just curious as to why you would laser the bottom of the flagstick?

Sorry that wasn't clear. I meant for eye-balling purposes when using my GPS app. For example on a par 3, I use my app, and the others in my group will use a rangefinder. They shoot, and I long-press on my app where I guesstimate where the pin is. 95% of the time, I'm within two yards of what their rangefinders say.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

My wife got me one for my birthday. I used it once, but it was easier to use my phone.

My club has 150 steaks and I have gotten pretty good at gauging from them. Since I have played about a dozen rounds there, I am pretty well dialed for straight play. 

The phone app was nice to start with, but I think I've gotten good enough to wing it.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My rangefinder is the best club in my bag! 

IMO there is a value in knowing distance to the pin, but there is more of a value in knowing the distance between the bunker and the pin and where to hit it on the green. Just because you use a rangefinder doesn't you throw basic strategy out the window and just go pin hunting (although many people do this). I have an old Bushnell V2 that is still kicking without slope and its saved me more strokes than any lesson, club, stand bag, new pair of shoes, training aid, or professional grade ball ever has! It is certainly quicker than consulting the yardage book, finding a sprinkler head, doing the calculations, etc. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3