Flattest feet in the world. Help me with some shoe choices!

rlawltn

Hi,

I have the flattest feet in the world. It's not really due to weight, but more genetics so width isn't really the problem as I wear normal width shoes. I've been to a podiatrist and he had no idea on golf shoes but told me to stay away from those fabric material which are usually those nike running shoes. Inserts were like $500 and told me he'd check my insurance but he never did 😕

Anyhows, I currently have the nike air force golf shoes. They're nice, but I walked 18 holes yesterday and after the 9th hole, bottom of my feet, shins, calves ALL started to ache a bit. I was pretty much in pain after 18 and felt so good to sit. I have seen a few threads with this, but a lot of the shoes mentioned are discontinued and/or some of the shoes don't have a BOA version which I'd heavily prefer for a better fit. So what BOA shoes do you flat feeters have success with??

12 hours ago, rlawltn said:

Hi,

I have the flattest feet in the world. It's not really due to weight, but more genetics so width isn't really the problem as I wear normal width shoes.

Which style/model shoes do you use for street wear ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

5 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Which style/model shoes do you use for street wear ?

Usually still nikes, new balance and such but i look at the bottom of the shoe and make sure its slightly wider at the arch area and not curved in too much. one thing the podiatrist told me was if i see my own collapsed arch 'bulging' out from the side a lot, that shoe is not good for support for my feet. so something that is firm on the sides so that my feet wouldnt collapse. i don't do much walking on a regular basis so it isnt terrible. but when i golf....whole different story

My best advice is to get some inserts.  I went thru the insurance denial stuff as well about 20 years ago, eventually got a cast made at a podiatrist and inserts made for my feet.  Since that time, I use the inserts in every pair of sneaker/shoes - remove the flimsy insert in a shoe and put in the orthotic.  I have had them resurfaced 2x over the years.  My last podiatrist trip I asked about inserts, he said they don't even do the casting much anymore as over the counter stuff is very good.  With that said - I'd suggest looking at the over the counter offerings, maybe even go to a running store and have them help you select the right product.  I think this will help you much much more than trying differenet brands of shoes.  Just use your inserts on whatever you buy.  And I agree that the fabric, more flimsy shoes are harder on your feet than the more rigid ones.

I have been happy with Adidas Tour shoes the past few years, more support than the mesh ones.  But overall - go for a more rigid shoe.

Good Luck.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

2 hours ago, bellken said:

My feet are fairly flat and my arches have collapsed, but, I haven't had any discomfort from walking the golf course. My current golf shoes are Ecco Biom Hybrid 3.

I'd agree with the above poster. I have found Ecco, as a brand to extremely comfortable.  I have wide feet and found them to be the best. If they still made decent shoes with cleats I'd still be wearing them.

Titleist....

My feet are pretty flat, especially my left one.  I have found good luck with the Adidas Tour 360.  They are pretty sturdy which helps.  I also changed the way I lace them.  This diagram shows how I do it.  It helps in that I have the tendency to lace them tight for support, which leads to a pinch which gets painful.  This lacing seemed to help.  I also got some blue Powerstep insoles at GG (I think).  They had a surprisingly good selection of insoles.  I tried boas, but found that they pinched at the top.  Hope that helps.

image.jpeg.ec890152da61622f466a1b692593320c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, Lasorcier said:

My feet are pretty flat, especially my left one.  I have found good luck with the Adidas Tour 360.  They are pretty sturdy which helps.  I also changed the way I lace them.  This diagram shows how I do it.  It helps in that I have the tendency to lace them tight for support, which leads to a pinch which gets painful.  This lacing seemed to help.  I also got some blue Powerstep insoles at GG (I think).  They had a surprisingly good selection of insoles.  I tried boas, but found that they pinched at the top.  Hope that helps.

image.jpeg.ec890152da61622f466a1b692593320c.jpeg

Did not know different tying methods would help. I'll try these one my old pair of golf shoes. I just bought the adidas tour 360 BOA as they were on sale for black friday. Went out this sunday (with cart) and was comfy straight out of the box except that the back of my heel was getting irritated because they havent been broken in. Also bought some superfeet insoles during their BF sale. I think i'll test those out as well.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:47 PM, d_mez7 said:

I am currently an Orthotics resident working for a Prosthetics and Orthotics company out in Denver.  More importantly I am a golfer.  Unfortunately most insurances won't cover foot orthoses unless you are diabetic.  Which is very unfortunate for people who suffer from flat feet, plantar fasciitis, etc. And these problems only lead to other problems with our joints and health down the road if they are not addressed early on.  Like the golf swing, our health can often start from the ground up. I would highly advise the use of custom inserts as off the shelf inserts are not made for your feet.  No matter what the size chart says, our feet are all different and I can't stress enough the importance of the insert fitting to your foot correctly.  If there is any spot on the insert that doesn't fit your foot intimately, you will have collapse and the problem will persist.  Inserts are only half the battle if you are suffering from a collapsing arch.  The collapsing arch is causing your foot and ankle complex to be instable and malaligned.  You need a neutral shoe with support and structure.  Unfortunately Nikes are usually not the answer.  While we aren't recommending golf shoes, we do recommend a lot of running shoes and I can tell you we never tell our patients to buy Nike.  They are narrow and often lack the structure necessary for your issue.  You want a shoe with a good arch and allows you to walk in a neutral position.  You want to have the heel counter of the shoe to have a lot of structure as well to help keep your heel or hindfoot in the correct position. While I fortunately don't suffer from flat feet like you do, I have found the Adidas Code Chaos shoes to not only be the most comfortable walking golf shoes, but they also provide excellent support.  I have also worn Eccos and have found them to have the best arch support out of the box.  

My recommendation to you would be to find an orthotist in your area that specializes in making foot orthosis and have a consultation with him or her about your flat feet.  They will watch you walk and see where they can help you get into the right positions to start reducing that pain you are feeling.  They are not a cure all and they will need to be broken in, but they will definitely help if they fit properly and are positioned correctly.  Couple these with good shoes, on and off the course, and you should see a massive reduction in pain and achyness.  

THANK YOU! it's always great to have a professional give input. It seems like the final answer is go get a custom made insole. I'm def not opposed to it, just that it costs a lot 😞 

Have a few questions. If I do get custom made insoles, is it important to pair it with 'good' shoes? Can I just use it on nike's as well?

Also, I bought some superfeet because I remember my podiatrist recommending me those as a 'cheaper' alternative. Is that company a good cheap-er choice until I find a orthotist?

I also have flat feet and use Orthotics. I would second that the Ecco's are the most comfortable shoes I've found. I wear the Ecco Biom Hybrid 3's.

I also have the TrueLinks Majors (their most supportive model). While the shoes are very comfortable out of the box, I've found that they lack the support that I need and very much prefer the Ecco's.

Edited by CL96
  • Like 1

Wore custom orthotics from the time I was 8 or 9 until early 30s. My feet were a seriously debilitating situation - always sore and tired and it really held me back while running. So orthotics were the answer.  

Fast forward to today: For me, the orthotics were a band-aid for weak muscles. They also significant raised my heels, which was not ideal either. Led to many rolled/sprained ankles. 

About 7 years ago I started working hard on my leg, hip, and foot strength and took out the orthotics. Bought only shoes with zero or low heel-toe drop. Now my feet are no longer the weak point in my body. I can run up to 10 miles before my hips start to ache, and I can walk 5 rounds of golf a week if I really wanted to. Shoes I wear:

True Links

Lems

Altra

Adidas

Certain Nike's that don't squash my toes together 

Reebok Nanos

Any fashion boot/shoe that I want to

13 hours ago, rlawltn said:

THANK YOU! it's always great to have a professional give input. It seems like the final answer is go get a custom made insole. I'm def not opposed to it, just that it costs a lot 😞 

Have a few questions. If I do get custom made insoles, is it important to pair it with 'good' shoes? Can I just use it on nike's as well?

Also, I bought some superfeet because I remember my podiatrist recommending me those as a 'cheaper' alternative. Is that company a good cheap-er choice until I find a orthotist?

Absolutely!

Its ultimately up to you what shoes you wear, but good supportive shoes that don't allow your ankle to move in bad positions will be much better and will work with your inserts for the best positioning and support of your feet.  If Nike offers a wide shoe then that could be an option.

Superfeet are a good cheaper off the shelf option, as well as Sole. One of my colleagues at work that specializes in foot orthoses and shoes (been doing it for almost 30 years) recommends Sole as an off the shelf option.  They have different sizes and options and are heat molded to your feet very easily for a more "custom" fit. 

The most important thing is to go get a consultation from an orthotist.  Where are you from?  I can see if any of the people I work with recommend someone in your area if possible. They may evaluate your feet and determine your gait is naturally positioned, your flat feet are just causing dull aching pain at the end of the day or round.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, d_mez7 said:

Absolutely!

Its ultimately up to you what shoes you wear, but good supportive shoes that don't allow your ankle to move in bad positions will be much better and will work with your inserts for the best positioning and support of your feet.  If Nike offers a wide shoe then that could be an option.

Superfeet are a good cheaper off the shelf option, as well as Sole. One of my colleagues at work that specializes in foot orthoses and shoes (been doing it for almost 30 years) recommends Sole as an off the shelf option.  They have different sizes and options and are heat molded to your feet very easily for a more "custom" fit. 

The most important thing is to go get a consultation from an orthotist.  Where are you from?  I can see if any of the people I work with recommend someone in your area if possible. They may evaluate your feet and determine your gait is naturally positioned, your flat feet are just causing dull aching pain at the end of the day or round.

I will PM/DM you!

I'm not sure it's as much about whether your arches are high or low as it is about how your foot compares to "average".  Shoes are made for an "average" range of feet, including the arch supports, how wide the toe box is, etc.  If your foot is outside the average in some way, not just any shoe will work, and an orthotic might be needed.

I've always felt like shoes were similar to the brakes and tires on my car; just a terrible place to try to save money.  In my case, my arches are crazy high, so every time I buy a new pair of shoes, whether it's street, golf, running, whatever, I also buy a pair of Superfeet arch supports.  Turns a $150 pair into closer to $200, but at least I'm not crippled when I finish a round of golf.  That's worth a LOT of money to me

Another flat footed golfer.  Due to size and width choices are pretty limited for me, it's either True Linkswear or New Balance.  I wore Trues for a number of years, when they went through their lost years I switched to NB.   Haven't had many foot problems but still appreciate all the info that's been shared in this thread.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:08 AM, bluedot said:

I'm not sure it's as much about whether your arches are high or low as it is about how your foot compares to "average".  Shoes are made for an "average" range of feet, including the arch supports, how wide the toe box is, etc.  If your foot is outside the average in some way, not just any shoe will work, and an orthotic might be needed.

I've always felt like shoes were similar to the brakes and tires on my car; just a terrible place to try to save money.  In my case, my arches are crazy high, so every time I buy a new pair of shoes, whether it's street, golf, running, whatever, I also buy a pair of Superfeet arch supports.  Turns a $150 pair into closer to $200, but at least I'm not crippled when I finish a round of golf.  That's worth a LOT of money to me

Yes, that is worth in the long run. When i was younger, I didn't even know. Yes, I did get tired from walking and running but I lived with it all my life and thought that was the norm. I just hope that if i get orthotics, it'd be a life changer.

57 minutes ago, postfold said:

Another flat footed golfer.  Due to size and width choices are pretty limited for me, it's either True Linkswear or New Balance.  I wore Trues for a number of years, when they went through their lost years I switched to NB.   Haven't had many foot problems but still appreciate all the info that's been shared in this thread.

😞 flat feet sucks! least we got some ways to mitigate pain these days