Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

Much like the Pro hybrid, the irons are an impressive combination of consistent speed, the spin retention needed to make them playable, and absence of clanky feel.

1 hour ago, Morry said:

These Pros look like what the P770's were supposed to deliver....

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

On 1/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, Morry said:

ready to order the combo set as we speak

just need to figure the right shaft out 

modus 105x, but gets too light for me in the shorter irons....any suggestions?

Modus 105x (112g) in the long/mid irons; Modus 120x (120g) in short irons.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 1/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, Morry said:

ready to order the combo set as we speak

just need to figure the right shaft out 

modus 105x, but gets too light for me in the shorter irons....any suggestions?

If you want to stay Modus you could do 105 in long irons 125 in short. According to Nippon it’s the same profile just different weight. Would definitely not go 105 to 120. Not only are they completely different profiles but the 120 is very unique in itself. Also the 105x is 117g uncut I believe so the 120’s are not noticeably heavier. 

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I got to see the Apex pro in person today, beautiful. After TXG initially said there was too much offset and Crossfield said there was very little I didn't know what to expect. As an FG Tour V6 player I was very pleased. Low offset and narrow sole, looks amazing in person.

I did not get to hit it so I haven't pulled the trigger on an order yet. Need to compare to the Staff CB

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

15 minutes ago, Sef said:

I got to see the Apex pro in person today, beautiful. After TXG initially said there was too much offset and Crossfield said there was very little I didn't know what to expect. As an FG Tour V6 player I was very pleased. Low offset and narrow sole, looks amazing in person.

I did not get to hit it so I haven't pulled the trigger on an order yet. Need to compare to the Staff CB

I thought Ian seemed fine with the offset but I could be wrong. They look great imo 

1 minute ago, TrueWRX said:

I thought Ian seemed fine with the offset but I could be wrong. They look great imo 

I think he was after hitting them some during the live test, but on their live Q&A ahead of testing he said he was disappointed with the amount of offset.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

1 hour ago, Sef said:

Now that would be a comparison I would like to hear about!

Wilson Staff always flying under the radar 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Got my appointment at True Spec here in the city scheduled for Feb 5 since they should have all of the new releases in by then. I’m going to hit the whole bag, but don’t anticipate removing anything other than irons this year. Thus I can not wait to hit these pro’s. I hope and expect to see them on the shortlist for sticks that work best for me. 

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

On 1/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, cardoustie said:

Hit the pro’s today, impressed ... decision to make ... forged cb or pro????

CB softer feeling ... but did like the thump/click of the pro

How/Where are you finding the forged CB? Europe?

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

7 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

I hit the new Apex Pro (with TT Elevate 105) Apex (TT Elevate 105) and P770 (DG 105) up against my current ‘19 Apex Pro in the 7i only (I only play Apex Pro in 5-7i, play MBs in 8-PW). I play the Modus 105s. My local shop isn’t a great fitting place and has limited shaft options so I just went with what they had in the closest weight to my Modus. 

I was impressed with all 3 irons. From a profile standpoint the Apex Pro and 770 are very similar. It would take someone with a very keen eye on subtle differences to see much. It’s there but subtle. The average person I think would say they are VERY similar at address. The Apex Pro is just a smidge smaller and thinner top line vs the 770 (and the ‘19 Apex Pro). 

Feel wise I would say the new Apex Pro is VERY similar to the last version. It’s soft, solid but with a touch of clippy sound like the last model. It feels very nice but not the dull mush of a one-piece. Numbers I’d say were nearly identical to the last version for me on the day I was hitting them. I was getting an average 115-117 ball speed on good strikes dropping down to 110-112 on mis hits with carry in the 159-162 range maxing at 165ish. That’s my typical 7i. Spin in the 5500 range. All typical good numbers for me. This was all GC2 data. 

The P770 was very similar. At first I thought I was maybe getting 2-3 yards more out of it but by the end when I hit more shots the numbers were very close. (I forgot to take a photo of the screen). I rotated between the 3 (‘19 Apex Pro, ‘21 Apex Pro and P779 every 8- 10 swings or so)

I liked the regular Apex better than the ‘19 version (granted I didn’t hit the last version this time or very much last time). Seemed to feel a bit better- couldn’t tell a lot of difference honestly between it and the Pro feel wise. It produced about 7-10 yards more carry and about 1000 less in spin (carrying 167-172 at 4500 spin). If or when I ever go back to a distance iron this is the one for me! It’s just a great looking overall iron for a lot of folks. I could maybe still use it in a 5i bent a degree or two weak. 

As someone who plays a combo set I really wish one of the big boy fitters (Club Champion, etc) would embrace the 9i, 7i, 5i approach. Or maybe 6i and 8i. I know that takes more time and work and cooperation from OEMs but watching the TXG review just makes one wish they had access to the top and bottom end of a club range to help build a set. 

Disappointed again that Callaway didn’t bring the Apex TCB to market in the US. My local shop didn’t even bother getting the new Apex MB or X Forged this year. Callaway has to figure this out. Either make the MB an X Forged MB to go with the CB or drop one of the two names (X vs Apex). Just crazy to me that they’d sign their new big tour pro star in Rahm and he likely go in the Apex TCB and they not bring it to market. Crazy. 

All of these irons passed the initial test for me. If I was in the market it would be tempting to build a 770, P7MC and P7MB combo set. Those look great! The new Apex line is also great looking although not sure why they introduced a DCB. That seems better suited to be in the Rogue, Mavrik, Bertha line....

Very nice thoughts on these irons.

Exactly the combo set I have!

I also have the P790 on the long end.

Then for fun I have a set of the P7TW blades.

All these irons are setup with the same specs for combo purposes.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 1/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, cmatthews77 said:

I hit the new Apex Pro (with TT Elevate 105) Apex (TT Elevate 105) and P770 (DG 105) up against my current ‘19 Apex Pro in the 7i only (I only play Apex Pro in 5-7i, play MBs in 8-PW). I play the Modus 105s. My local shop isn’t a great fitting place and has limited shaft options so I just went with what they had in the closest weight to my Modus. 

I was impressed with all 3 irons. From a profile standpoint the Apex Pro and 770 are very similar. It would take someone with a very keen eye on subtle differences to see much. It’s there but subtle. The average person I think would say they are VERY similar at address. The Apex Pro is just a smidge smaller and thinner top line vs the 770 (and the ‘19 Apex Pro). 

Feel wise I would say the new Apex Pro is VERY similar to the last version. It’s soft, solid but with a touch of clippy sound like the last model. It feels very nice but not the dull mush of a one-piece. Numbers I’d say were nearly identical to the last version for me on the day I was hitting them. I was getting an average 115-117 ball speed on good strikes dropping down to 110-112 on mis hits with carry in the 159-162 range maxing at 165ish. That’s my typical 7i. Spin in the 5500 range. All typical good numbers for me. This was all GC2 data. 

The P770 was very similar. At first I thought I was maybe getting 2-3 yards more out of it but by the end when I hit more shots the numbers were very close. (I forgot to take a photo of the screen). I rotated between the 3 (‘19 Apex Pro, ‘21 Apex Pro and P779 every 8- 10 swings or so)

I liked the regular Apex better than the ‘19 version (granted I didn’t hit the last version this time or very much last time). Seemed to feel a bit better- couldn’t tell a lot of difference honestly between it and the Pro feel wise. It produced about 7-10 yards more carry and about 1000 less in spin (carrying 167-172 at 4500 spin). If or when I ever go back to a distance iron this is the one for me! It’s just a great looking overall iron for a lot of folks. I could maybe still use it in a 5i bent a degree or two weak. 

As someone who plays a combo set I really wish one of the big boy fitters (Club Champion, etc) would embrace the 9i, 7i, 5i approach. Or maybe 6i and 8i. I know that takes more time and work and cooperation from OEMs but watching the TXG review just makes one wish they had access to the top and bottom end of a club range to help build a set. 

Disappointed again that Callaway didn’t bring the Apex TCB to market in the US. My local shop didn’t even bother getting the new Apex MB or X Forged this year. Callaway has to figure this out. Either make the MB an X Forged MB to go with the CB or drop one of the two names (X vs Apex). Just crazy to me that they’d sign their new big tour pro star in Rahm and he likely go in the Apex TCB and they not bring it to market. Crazy. 

All of these irons passed the initial test for me. If I was in the market it would be tempting to build a 770, P7MC and P7MB combo set. Those look great! The new Apex line is also great looking although not sure why they introduced a DCB. That seems better suited to be in the Rogue, Mavrik, Bertha line....

HOW DO THE "SOLES" COMPARE IN THE PRO"S VS P770'S? Is one thinner than the other? Does anyone have pics of the "soles" of the PRO"S by chance? Even better comparision pics next to the 770's? I am especially looking for the PW sole.... I have the 770's (love them) but soles are pretty wide towards the bottom of the bag IMO...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

13 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

HOW DO THE "SOLES" COMPARE IN THE PRO"S VS P770'S? Is one thinner than the other? Does anyone have pics of the "soles" of the PRO"S by chance? Even better comparision pics next to the 770's? I am especially looking for the PW sole.... I have the 770's (love them) but soles are pretty wide towards the bottom of the bag IMO...

Didn’t take a pic of the soles nor did I see the PW just the 7i. Here’s a pick of the address position (left to right is ‘21 Apex Pro, ‘19 Apex Pro, ‘770). As I mentioned the ‘21 Apex Pro is just slightly smaller profile than the last Apex Pro and the 770. 

A2292442-72BE-4237-A0B2-7BED46BF02D9.jpeg

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

On 1/23/2021 at 12:23 PM, Morry said:

Great review @cmatthews77 

what was your view of the elevate 105 vs the modus? 

the Combo set of '21 and Pro's looks like the ticket for me 

Ideal for my 10 handicap game

i don’t know that I’m super sensitive to shafts as long as the weight is similar. I could easily game the Elevate 105. If I were really testing to fine tune I’d test the Modus v the Elevate in the same head but I didn’t do that. They both have a smooth feel to me and spin/launch numbers were similar but granted it wasn’t the same head. 

i literally switched to the Modus based on a repeated Mizuno shaft optimizer recommendation and the fact that I was wanting to try it (and add a fraction of weight coming from 95g Recoils). 

Edited by cmatthews77

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

2 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

Didn’t take a pic of the soles nor did I see the PW just the 7i. Here’s a pick of the address position (left to right is ‘21 Apex Pro, ‘19 Apex Pro, ‘770). As I mentioned the ‘21 Apex Pro is just slightly smaller profile than the last Apex Pro and the 770. 

A2292442-72BE-4237-A0B2-7BED46BF02D9.jpeg

21 Pros look the best of the bunch to me.... Bend those sucker 1 weak and they will look even better...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

3 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I will Be on Friday. Getting fit. Have t100S 

Funny....i have the T100S irons and will also be going for a fit this Friday.  Nice!!!  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

10 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I will Be on Friday. Getting fit. Have t100S 

6 minutes ago, DNice26 said:

Funny....i have the T100S irons and will also be going for a fit this Friday.  Nice!!!  

Looking forward to what y’all have to say. I’ve got a fitting on the 5th and these are both very high on my list to test. 

• Like 2

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Just now, Homerun2Birdie said:

Looking forward to what y’all have to say. I’ve got a fitting on the 5th and these are both very high on my list to test. 

Very high on my list too.  I had the Pro 19s and really enjoyed them.  The T100S have been good, but a little meh for me.  Solid overall, but dont really stand out for me.  Playing mine 1 degree weak with $taper HT S+ shafts.  

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

50 minutes ago, DNice26 said:

Very high on my list too.  I had the Pro 19s and really enjoyed them.  The T100S have been good, but a little meh for me.  Solid overall, but dont really stand out for me.  Playing mine 1 degree weak with $taper HT S+ shafts.  

100% agreemnet

t100 and meh

either apex pro combo or srixon combo coming my way....

Very interested in feedback 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DNice26 said:

4 minutes ago, Morry said:

100% agreemnet

t100 and meh

either apex pro combo or srixon combo coming my way....

Very interested in feedback 

Interesting y’all’s take on the T100. Coming from the 19 Apex Pro what’d y’all see as the biggest thing that makes them just “meh”. Also agreed on the ZX’s. Looking forward to those as well. 

• Like 1

PXG One & Done | Armlock

9 minutes ago, Homerun2Birdie said:

Interesting y’all’s take on the T100. Coming from the 19 Apex Pro what’d y’all see as the biggest thing that makes them just “meh”. Also agreed on the ZX’s. Looking forward to those as well. 

Apex Pro 19 were about a half club longer for me, easier to launch, better turf interaction.  The feel wasn’t drastically better, but the 19 Pro had a really fun, unique sound to it that grew on me.  At first it was odd.  Tbh, the only thing I didn’t love about the 19 pros was the shaping on some of the clubs.  Hoping they fixed that this time around.   The long irons of the Apex pro 19 were also much easier for me to hit than the T100S.  For whatever reason I damn near cant even hit the 4 iron.  Odd, as I never had an issue with a 4 iron before.