2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

15 hours ago, TTCarrera said:

Well, the goose is cooked. I may have outsmarted myself. I called the golf shop this morning when they opened and apparently the order was submitted yesterday. They called Callaway and were told that the clubs/shafts/grips were assembled this morning, bent to my 1* flat spec, boxed up and are in the shipping department already.

So here's the problem, a possible solution and a request for your opinions. Again, I ordered Apex 21 in a 5 & 6 iron and Apex Pro 21 in 7-P + A wedgeWhat got me thinking last night was after watching the TXG guys discuss the new Apex models and one of them noticed the stronger lofts in the regular Apex and commented that to correctly put together a combo set you might have to order two 7-irons: one in Apex and one in Apex Pro in order to have better gapping.

Problem: The Apex Pro 7-iron has a loft of 33* and the Apex 6-iron's loft is 26.5*. That's a 6.5* gap difference!!! WAY too much.

Possible Solution: The stock Apex Pro gap between 6 & 7 is spec'd at 4.0*. The shop says they will bend the 5 & 6 regular Apex irons by 2.5* to weaken them to produce a 4.0* gap. That would make the Apex 5 & 6-iron lofts consistent through the whole set but it worries me that the corresponding 2.5* increase in bounce might negatively effect playability. So I'm think that the most I'd dare weaken them is 2.0*, that would close the gap between the 6 & 7 irons to a 4.5* gap. I could probably get away with that.

And if in practice, that doesn't work, then just order individual Apex Pro 5 & 6 irons.

Comments, opinions please?: What does everyone think? Thanks in advance.

It won’t be a problem, 2.5 degrees is not a big enough difference to cause an issue.

Play and enjoy them!

15 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

Going for my fitting tomorrow was pumped for these until I keep reading how bad they feel/sound on here. 

lol the feel/sounds on these is just fine.

Anyone who says otherwise is being pedantic. 

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

8 hours ago, Rogtsaamokin66 said:

I think you’ll be fine just having them bent to closer gaps. I went through the same thing with the standard 19’s, never liked the strong  lofts in the standard so had them all bent weak, to get gaping right when I would combine with my set of pros 19’s. Worked fine. The pros are closer to traditional lofts so that’s where I wanted to be. 
When did you order your set, on release day?  

I was fitted on Tuesday and was told they would place the order yesterday. But early yesterday morning when I called and tried to change to all Pros, the shop called Callaway and was told they were already assembled. So the order must have gone in on Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

lol the feel/sounds on these is just fine.

Anyone who says otherwise is being pedantic. 

BTW, thanks for your insight. I live in the Seattle area and while we play golf year-round here, we have very soft turf in the winter months and fir-but-well-irrigated turf in the June-October range. So I'm hoping the extra bounce won't be noticeable. If it is and the Pros turn out to be perfect for me, I'll just buy the remaining Pro 5 & 6 irons.

• Like 1

I just got back from hitting the Apex Pro. Ended up hitting it best with the KBS Tour V stiff. I am an 11 handicap and the 7 iron was easier for me to hit than the regular Apex 21. Not sure if the simulator was off, but I was also carrying the ball farther than the Apex 21 with the same shaft. Didn’t make since, other than maybe I was making better contact with the Pro. It does have a clicky sound, but I kind of like it.  Although clicky, it is very solid. This club looks amazing and I am not a Callaway fan. The Srixon ZX7 was definitely a softer feel and a little bigger at address. But the looks and feel of the Callaway in the hands and at address put it over the top for me. Nothing is softer than my KZG irons, but these sure were fun to hit and very nice to look at. Would be curious to see how they perform on turf. 

Edited by Jpeaseiv

I ended up going in for a fitting over the weekend and fully expected to be fit into the Apex Pros.   Wrong.   While I hit the Pros well, I couldn't seem to get the consistency desired even with a few shaft changes.   So the fitter started trying the Apex.   After a few shaft changes, I ended up loving the feel of these irons.  I was fit into the Project X IO, 6.0 shafts.  Good sound and great feel to me.  Absolutely loved them and the results.   

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway Epic Speed Fairway
Callaway X Forged 21* UT
Callaway Apex 21, 5-AW
Callaway MD4, 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron, Squareback 2

2 hours ago, tj7644 said:

I ended up going in for a fitting over the weekend and fully expected to be fit into the Apex Pros.   Wrong.   While I hit the Pros well, I couldn't seem to get the consistency desired even with a few shaft changes.   So the fitter started trying the Apex.   After a few shaft changes, I ended up loving the feel of these irons.  I was fit into the Project X IO, 6.0 shafts.  Good sound and great feel to me.  Absolutely loved them and the results.   

What did you love about the IO shafts? 

what others did you try and what are you coming from?

thanks

Watched a lot of Callaway’s content on these from the virtual PGA Show.   Pretty sure I’ll be looking at the Double Play combo.  4-5 in DCB and 6-P in Apex if i recall correctly.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I have hit the Pro 7 iron as well. I was not expecting to like it as much as I do. I'm Bladey McBladerson and love blades and don't want to play anything else...but man am I tempted.

• Great feel
  • Distances are what I would want from a 7...I hit a good fifteen shots and not one of them was the low-spin nuke that I always worry about from better player's tech irons. 
  • The look is fantastic at address. A beveled top line is always good form. Nothing I hate more than a squared off topline that makes a thin line look thick (personal preference...no offense of you love the squared look)

I hit it with a plain old Project X 6.0 and still liked the way it felt. I don't see new irons in my immediate future, but I'd absolutely the Apex Players Combo on the short list if I was looking to upgrade. 

• Like 2

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

1 hour ago, towncryer said:

I have hit the Pro 7 iron as well. I was not expecting to like it as much as I do. I'm Bladey McBladerson and love blades and don't want to play anything else...but man am I tempted.

• Great feel
  • Distances are what I would want from a 7...I hit a good fifteen shots and not one of them was the low-spin nuke that I always worry about from better player's tech irons. 
  • The look is fantastic at address. A beveled top line is always good form. Nothing I hate more than a squared off topline that makes a thin line look thick (personal preference...no offense of you love the squared look)

I hit it with a plain old Project X 6.0 and still liked the way it felt. I don't see new irons in my immediate future, but I'd absolutely the Apex Players Combo on the short list if I was looking to upgrade. 

Think you'd love the solution I came up with for my bag this year.

'21 Apex Pro 3 through 5 iron

6-P '20 Apex MB

All are bent 1* weak for gapping with my hybrid and wedges.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

What do you guys think about this combo:

Apex Pro 6-PW for accuracy, feel and looks

Apex DCB 4-6 for ultimate forgiveness (not a typo) 

Wouldn't have to adjust lofts at all as the two 6 irons would play like a 6 and 5 irons. The only downside I see is a jump in the offset from the Pro to the DCB.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5 with HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 HL (16.5) with stock Ventus Blue 6S

Haywood Signature Driving Iron 18 with MMT 90S

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Apex Pro 6-PW with MMT 95S

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 degree wedges

Odyssey putter

5 minutes ago, brettmag said:

What do you guys think about this combo:

Apex Pro 6-PW for accuracy, feel and looks

Apex DCB 4-6 for ultimate forgiveness (not a typo) 

Wouldn't have to adjust lofts at all as the two 6 irons would play like a 6 and 5 irons. The only downside I see is a jump in the offset from the Pro to the DCB.

I get that. And i did a similar configuration with AP1 and AP2 a couple years ago with the 7 iron.   

However, i have watched several videos from Callaway’s Doc Hocknell and DNevs. They each highly encourage choosing one of the designed combo sets as lofts, offset and bounces have all been designed to flow with each club.   

Now the cynic in me notices all those combos are at least 7 clubs.  I have been a 6 club makeup for the past few years.  Usually 6-G or 5-P.   

So i wonder how much in designing those combos are to sell an extra club.  Unless you can  just leave off the 4 iron in say the triple play. 

Vokey

1 minute ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I get that. And i did a similar configuration with AP1 and AP2 a couple years ago with the 7 iron.   

However, i have watched several videos from Callaway’s Doc Hocknell and DNevs. They each highly encourage choosing one of the designed combo sets as lofts, offset and bounces have all been designed to flow with each club.   

Now the cynic in me notices all those combos are at least 7 clubs.  I have been a 6 club makeup for the past few years.  Usually 6-G or 5-P.   

So i wonder how much in designing those combos are to sell an extra club.  Unless you can  just leave off the 4 iron in say the triple play. 

Good points. I'd like more Pros than just P-8 iron. That's my main reason for not choosing their standard combo sets.

• Like 1

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

15 hours ago, Morry said:

What did you love about the IO shafts? 

what others did you try and what are you coming from?

thanks

I just felt the IO shafts were smooth feeling.  I'm not sure about the adjective to use here, but it just felt that shaft with the regular Apex was soft, smooth, and easy.   The distance consistency ended up better, the flight path was straighter (I have a natural slight draw), and it felt less hard on misshits.    The other shafts I tried were the Project X LZ 115, the True Temper ETS 115, and 105, then the dynamic gold 115 which is what I'm coming from.

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway X Forged 21* UT
Callaway Apex 21, 5-AW
Callaway MD4, 52, 56, 60

33 minutes ago, tj7644 said:

I just felt the IO shafts were smooth feeling.  I'm not sure about the adjective to use here, but it just felt that shaft with the regular Apex was soft, smooth, and easy.   The distance consistency ended up better, the flight path was straighter (I have a natural slight draw), and it felt less hard on misshits.    The other shafts I tried were the Project X LZ 115, the True Temper ETS 115, and 105, then the dynamic gold 115 which is what I'm coming from.

thanks

great insight and perspective 

appreciated

what is your driver or 6 iron swingspeed?  

just trying to judge the proper flex to try 

36 minutes ago, Morry said:

thanks

great insight and perspective 

appreciated

what is your driver or 6 iron swingspeed?  

just trying to judge the proper flex to try 

No worries.   Thanks for asking.   I should put more detail in my comments.   My driver swing speed is 107.   Not exactly sure on the 7 iron, sorry.

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway X Forged 21* UT
Callaway Apex 21, 5-AW
Callaway MD4, 52, 56, 60

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Think you'd love the solution I came up with for my bag this year.

'21 Apex Pro 3 through 5 iron

6-P '20 Apex MB

All are bent 1* weak for gapping with my hybrid and wedges.

I like that setup very much! 

• Like 1

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

30 minutes ago, ThorntonMelon said:

If the combo set included a 7 iron in the Pro, they'd have sold me a combo set, but I want the pro 7 iron, as have many people posting on this and other boards. Perhaps this will be a change in future sets.

I think the combo does include the 7-iron Pro.  Here's what I found on this page (https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2021-apex-player-mix-combo.html#product-specs )

The “Player” combines Apex Pro (3-7) and MB (8-AW) to create an optimum blend of technology, feel and precision in one package

Edited by toddmanley

6 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I think the combo does include the 7-iron Pro.  Here's what I found on this page (https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2021-apex-player-mix-combo.html#product-specs )

The “Player” combines Apex Pro (3-7) and MB (8-AW) to create an optimum blend of technology, feel and precision in one package

assuming meant a combo set of Pro and standard Apex, not the MB. I’m in the same boat! 

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

1 hour ago, brettmag said:

assuming meant a combo set of Pro and standard Apex, not the MB. I’m in the same boat! 

Yes. I think he meant the Apex Mix set.  Which is 9 irons as I mentioned above, i hope you could choose to leave off one or two from the ends, such as the 3 and A.  I think very few people are buying 8 iron sets now days let alone 9 😮

12862AEC-B771-4042-B13A-F71A1FDAFB74.png

Vokey

Regarding the set compositions...

You can still mix and match a combo set however you want from Callaway...the pre-designed combos just have gaps taken care of already. If you look at the lofts of the stock sets, you can see where you're going to have trouble (6 Apex to 7 Pro is like 6.5 degrees). You could work out on a spreadsheet what to weaken and what to strengthen and send that into Callaway. 

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

12 hours ago, towncryer said:

Regarding the set compositions...

You can still mix and match a combo set however you want from Callaway...the pre-designed combos just have gaps taken care of already. If you look at the lofts of the stock sets, you can see where you're going to have trouble (6 Apex to 7 Pro is like 6.5 degrees). You could work out on a spreadsheet what to weaken and what to strengthen and send that into Callaway. 

Just had a fitting today and Callaway will adjust the lofts on a combo set to make the gapping perfect no matter where in the set you break them. I thought that was interesting. They call it their not so secret menu or something like that. 

I also learned that the heaviest weight in the MMT shaft in stiff flex is 95G. Would’ve had to go TX flex to get 105G so I stuck with the steel Elevate 105 shaft. 

Very excited to have placed an order for Apex 4-6 and Apex Pro 7-PW. 

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

I just went through a sort of fitting.   I am coming from 921 forged with LZ shaft.   Before that I had apex 19s and before that apex 16s.    When apex 21s came out I wanted to compare the two.   I wanted to find the best shaft for each (I ordered the LZ as I thought the black color was cool) but I hit them high and lost distance on higher irons.    In the end, Apex 21 won.    I played them for the first time this weekend, and after the round my 921s went for sale.   Apex seems more forgiving, and definitely longer.    I know the lofts are different, and I ordered my 921s with 9-AW 1 degree strong, as I felt the gaps were too big.     Right now, very happy with Apex.    Let’s hope the honeymoon lasts a while.

2 hours ago, brettmag said:

. . .

I also learned that the heaviest weight in the MMT shaft in stiff flex is 95G. Would’ve had to go TX flex to get 105G so I stuck with the steel Elevate 105 shaft. 

. . .

You're in luck.  There is the MMT 125s now

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled