Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

Ordered pros and received them within 8 days.

WITB:

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degree w/ Project X RDX 60 gram X stiff

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3 Wood 14 degree w/ Graphite Design BB 70

Callaway Apex '19 Hybrid 18 degree with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85

Callaway Apex Pro 14 5-PW Irons with KBS Tour V Shaft

Miura 1957 Y Grind 51 degree with KBS tour Shaft

Titleist SM7 56 degree with KBS Tour shaft

Callaway MD5 W grind 60 degree with KBS Tour shaft

Toulon Portland Putter

Srixon Z star ball

Pro ordered my pros on Monday.  Didn't show any backorders as of today.  Crossing fingers they'll be here soon.

Ordered 4-p in kbs c taper stiff.  Also ordered epic speed driver, 3 wood, speed max 5 wood.  

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

23 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

Pro ordered my pros on Monday.  Didn't show any backorders as of today.  Crossing fingers they'll be here soon.

Ordered 4-p in kbs c taper stiff.  Also ordered epic speed driver, 3 wood, speed max 5 wood.  

Small favour, just wondering if you can share how the Apex Pro compared to your T100?

Edited by lordemsworth

1 hour ago, lordemsworth said:

Small favour, just wondering if you can share how the Apex Pro compared to your T100?

I'll compare them to t100 and mp 20 MMC (I own both):

apex pro is slightly thicker topline and slightly more offset than both.  Both the t100 and apex pro have excellent turf interaction for me.  I find that the mmc will dig a little easier than the other two, but still exits the turf fairly quickly.  The Apex Pro is definitely more forgiving between all 3.  I was swinging my 7 iron and the apex pro consistently at 85mph.  I was flying the t100 around 163 and the mmc 165.  I was getting consistent 170 yards with 6000 rpm and 47* decent angle with the apex pro, which is plenty of stopping power.  Feel wise, the t100 have the "softest feel (sound)".  The mmc is slightly firmer feeling (typical of the mmc line).  The Apex is solid feeling, but has a slightly more clicky or techy sound.  I like it, but it isn't the thud of a full solid forged club, which is fine because I don't expect that with a hollow club.  For a hollow body club, they feel and sound excellent.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I ordered my Pro's on the 3rd and they arrived yesterday after initially showing an est. ship date of 3/29.  Coming from the 2018 Apex MB's, I wanted that same look behind the ball but with a little more help.  TBH, I can't discern a difference in topline thickness between the 2.  The sole width is more akin to the X-Forged and the blade length is probably between the 2.  After a fitting and 1 range session, I'm hitting the ball through the same windows with 3-4yds more carry per club and a little less spin, which is exactly what I wanted.  Same look, similar-enough feel, more consistent performance out of my swing.  So far, Callaway absolutely nailed these.

Edited by JeffJ1014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffJ1014 said:

I ordered my Pro's on the 3rd and they arrived yesterday after initially showing an est. ship date of 3/29.  Coming from the 2018 Apex MB's, I wanted that same look behind the ball but with a little more help.  TBH, I can't discern a difference in topline thickness between the 2.  The sole width is more akin to the X-Forged and the blade length is probably between the 2.  After a fitting and 1 range session, I'm hitting the ball through the same windows with 3-4yds more carry per club and a little less spin, which is exactly what I wanted.  Same look, similar-enough feel, more consistent performance out of my swing.  So far, Callaway absolutely nailed these.

Did you receive a shipping notification? Ordered mine 2/26 and still showing being processed with the same delivery date. 

23 minutes ago, BeLikeTY1333 said:

Did you receive a shipping notification? Ordered mine 2/26 and still showing being processed with the same delivery date. 

I did get one from UPS.  I read another poster here who called to check on the reason for his backordered Apex Pros and it ended up being the grips he chose - an easy fix. I figured I'd give that a shot to see what the deal was, but for me it was the *8i & PW heads.  The rep said when they got the set built, they'd overnight them to me at no charge for the delay.  That was this past Monday, the 8th.  Tuesday, my estimated ship date range moved up 2 weeks, and Wednesday I got a shipping notification.  They were on my front porch yesterday and in my bag 20 minutes later.  Maybe try giving them a call to check on the holdup?

Edited by JeffJ1014

1 minute ago, JeffJ1014 said:

I did get one from UPS.  I read another poster here who called to check on the reason for his backordered Apex Pros and it ended up being the grips he chose.  I figured I'd give that a shot to see what the deal was, but for me it was the *8i & PW heads.  The rep said when they got the set built, they'd overnight them to me at no charge for the delay.  That was this past Monday, the 8th.  Tuesday, my estimated ship date range moved up 2 weeks, and Wednesday I got a shipping notification.  They were on my front porch yesterday and in my bag 20 minutes later.  Maybe try giving them a call to check on the holdup?

I called last week and they did tell me the grips were back ordered till June so I switched them out. Also the 8 & pw were back ordered till the 5th. Still no change with back order listed as status. This is totally frustrating when people are getting them in less than a week and mine are going to be over a month. 

Just now, BeLikeTY1333 said:

I called last week and they did tell me the grips were back ordered till June so I switched them out. Also the 8 & pw were back ordered till the 5th. Still no change with back order listed as status. This is totally frustrating when people are getting them in less than a week and mine are going to be over a month. 

Did you order any customized lofts, lengths, or lies? Mine were standard across the board.  Maybe that's it? That's still weird though, seeing how your order was 5 days earlier than mine.  

29 minutes ago, JeffJ1014 said:

Did you order any customized lofts, lengths, or lies? Mine were standard across the board.  Maybe that's it? That's still weird though, seeing how your order was 5 days earlier than mine.  

That makes sense now. Got them 1 flat and 1 strong. With the kbs max 80 stiff shafts. 

Ordered Apex 5-6 separately and have been practicing with them. Very pleased. 7-G XForged CB ordered, but got a notice saying: Gap wedge will be here Monday, 7-9 late next week and the PW is backordered two weeks. They are partial shipping orders as items are ready so can’t complain about that. I did ask for custom lofts on two clubs, but that was not the issue. They’re selling a lot of clubs and really are not that far behind on orders. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Ordered Apex 5-6 separately and have been practicing with them. Very pleased. 7-G XForged CB ordered, but got a notice saying: Gap wedge will be here Monday, 7-9 late next week and the PW is backordered two weeks. They are partial shipping orders as items are ready so can’t complain about that. I did ask for custom lofts on two clubs, but that was not the issue. They’re selling a lot of clubs and really are not that far behind on orders. 

Yeah just checked and my delivery date just moved to the 15th but status is still back ordered. They’ll get here when they get here. League starts in two weeks just wanted to try to get yardages worked out beforehand. 

I went for a fitting yesterday and the Apex Pro21 had less ball speed than my MP64, launched higher, and spun more.  End result was less less distance so it would have been a step back to get them.  I liked the feel and was very surprised when I saw the numbers.  I also tested the X Forged CB and just didn't care for it.  

I have 4 rounds on my Apex 21 Pro with MMT 95.  And I am very impressed!  Looks, sound, feel, and overall performance (distance, forgiveness, workability) are outstanding.   The turf interaction is excellent and the feel is really soft compared to the Apex 21 non pro model and can hang with Srixon's ZX7 all day long.  There is a lot of technology packed into these and I am loving them.

This Apex release confused me. The normal Apex's look meaty and like super game improvement clubs instead of a players distance iron. The DCB's weaken the Apex name IMO, Apex clubs shouldn't be super game improvement. The Apex Pro's appear lacking in "technology" in half of the irons. Scoring clubs have nothing to them.

Callaway's releases for 2021 are lackluster IMO, like most companies this year. Drivers, irons, everything just seems like nothing special.

• Confused 2

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

3 hours ago, Lobber said:

I have 4 rounds on my Apex 21 Pro with MMT 95.  And I am very impressed!  Looks, sound, feel, and overall performance (distance, forgiveness, workability) are outstanding.   The turf interaction is excellent and the feel is really soft compared to the Apex 21 non pro model and can hang with Srixon's ZX7 all day long.  There is a lot of technology packed into these and I am loving them.

Do you have MMT's in your Srixon's.  If you had to choose one over the other , what would you select and why?

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

1 minute ago, dalillama47 said:

Do you have MMT's in your Srixon's.  If you had to choose one over the other , what would you select and why?

I have Steel Fiber 95 Stiff in the Srixon ZX5/ZX7 combo set.  Subjectively, I like the feel of the Apex 21 Pro better and feel like the turf interaction is better for me as I don't take a big divot.  Dont get me wrong the Srixons are fantastic but the Apex Pro 21 for me are just  performing better.  May be listing the Srixons soon 

13 minutes ago, Lobber said:

I have Steel Fiber 95 Stiff in the Srixon ZX5/ZX7 combo set.  Subjectively, I like the feel of the Apex 21 Pro better and feel like the turf interaction is better for me as I don't take a big divot.  Dont get me wrong the Srixons are fantastic but the Apex Pro 21 for me are just  performing better.  May be listing the Srixons soon 

Would you say that the Apex Pro's kind of play like a combo set because of the cupface and Tungsten in the longer irons.  Longer irons play like ZX5, scoring irons ZX7?.  Surprised that you say the feel of the Pro's are better, especially from the ZX7's

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

13 minutes ago, dalillama47 said:

Would you say that the Apex Pro's kind of play like a combo set because of the cupface and Tungsten in the longer irons.  Longer irons play like ZX5, scoring irons ZX7?.  Surprised that you say the feel of the Pro's are better, especially from the ZX7's

Feel is subjective as I said.  It may be a function of the shaft also.  MMTs feel a little less boardy than SF 95 not that SF feel bad.  Honestly the longer irons in the Apex Pro 21 have a much smaller sole than the Z5s and I prefer that.  The Tungsten certainly works in terms of forgiveness and the cup face keeps the distance up particularly when hit towards the center of the face.  I would also say that the Apex 21 Pros feel much better than the P770 which I gamed for a period of time.  I don't think one could go wrong with either the Srixons or Apex Pro 21s if fit with the right shaft.  It most likely will come down to personal preference.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BeLikeTY1333 said:

Yeah just checked and my delivery date just moved to the 15th but status is still back ordered. They’ll get here when they get here. League starts in two weeks just wanted to try to get yardages worked out beforehand. 

Mine showed backordered, then boom..they showed shipped. It took a day to get them to Idaho from Mexico. The day after I got my clubs, I got a shipping notification. My date moved clear to the middle of next month, then moved back. 

On 3/12/2021 at 11:10 PM, gremlin said:

Mine showed backordered, then boom..they showed shipped. It took a day to get them to Idaho from Mexico. The day after I got my clubs, I got a shipping notification. My date moved clear to the middle of next month, then moved back. 

So you got your clubs and Callaway was still changing your expected shipping dates? That’s insane. Mine are still back ordered but no change for delivery dates. I would hate to call them back for the second time, but it seems people somehow ordered customs after me and got them before me. Going on one month and counting. 

3 hours ago, BeLikeTY1333 said:

When did you order and did you customize them?

Ordered last Monday, received today.    I did custom shaft and grips.  Fitter said to pick a custom grip,  even is its a stock shaft... said it helps sites them up.   Pro just told me that Callaway website says 6 weeks now??!!

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Ordered a 4 iron today for the pro combo set, my rep said 2-3 weeks. Stock Nippon 950 neo shaft, winn grip, but some customizations so who knows.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

3 hours ago, bogeypro said:

Ordered last Monday, received today.    I did custom shaft and grips.  Fitter said to pick a custom grip,  even is its a stock shaft... said it helps sites them up.   Pro just told me that Callaway website says 6 weeks now??!!

Ordered mine on 2/26 grips were back ordered till June so I switched those out. Heads were supposed to be in on the 5th but no change to delivery date at all.