Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

12 hours ago, hef63303 said:

It all depends on the shafts and grips. KBS Shafts, except for C Taper, have been slow. MMT shafts are way slow. Dynamic Gold is slow. Project X IO is slow. Shaft arrival dates change daily, sometimes better, sometimes worse. 

The ctmax 80 were June arrival also. I got fitted for both shafts and numbers were the same thank god. So I went with the max 80. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, BeLikeTY1333 said:

So you got your clubs and Callaway was still changing your expected shipping dates? That’s insane. Mine are still back ordered but no change for delivery dates. I would hate to call them back for the second time, but it seems people somehow ordered customs after me and got them before me. Going on one month and counting. 

My dates jumped out a month, then came back to the same week they were originally supposed to ship. But they showed back ordered till they shipped. 

23 hours ago, hef63303 said:

It all depends on the shafts and grips. KBS Shafts, except for C Taper, have been slow. MMT shafts are way slow. Dynamic Gold is slow. Project X IO is slow. Shaft arrival dates change daily, sometimes better, sometimes worse. 

I will say for KBS, got my set with Tour V with no problem.  With that said, did have to change my golf pride grip choice up as those were back ordered and it sounds like components change on a daily basis. Again, best advice is to call customer service and check as I made a grip change that completely opened up an expedited my Apex pros

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 10:12 AM, cubuffs said:

Figured I would give my take as I used to play MP-64s, and I have a set of Pros on order and my son has played the XFCB since they were released in November.  I think it depends on what you are looking for - if you are wanting to keep some of similar feel/profile I think the XFCB will be a much easier transition than the Pros.  When I have hit his set, it seems like the XFCB has good (although not quite MP level) feel, consistent spin numbers, and are longer than what we were first thinking (we are both coming from P790s).  The Pros from my demo and fitting seemed to be bit longer, launched higher with the same shaft, and because they are hollow have a distinct feel and sound - they feel good and solid, but not on the same level as the XFCB.  For a father in his mid 40's trying to keep up with my son, I welcome a bit of new technology in a very sleek players package.  

so I’ve had a chance to have three range sessions, and 2, 9 hole rounds in with the Apex Pros.  Coming from a set of P790s, and having played forged players cavity backs previously, I’m very impressed so far.  While the feel is not is good as my son’s X Forged CB (and wasn’t expecting it to be), it is definitely good enough and the distance and consistency has been impressive so far.  I don’t feel I’m giving up much distance which has been nice - perhaps half a club, but I’ve yet to experience the one or two shots that go 10 to 15 yards farther than expected.  The most pleasant surprise has been the 4 and 5 iron which are very forgiving, and are absolute rocket launchers, but in a consistent way.  

Edited by cubuffs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cubuffs said:

so I’ve had a chance to have three range sessions, and 2, 9 hole rounds in with the Apex Pros.  Coming from a set of P790s, and having played forged players cavity backs previously, I’m very impressed so far.  While the feel is not is good as my son’s X Forged CB (and wasn’t expecting it to be), it is definitely good enough and the distance and consistency has been impressive so far.  I don’t feel I’m giving up much distance which has been nice - perhaps half a club, but I’ve yet to experience the one or two shots that go 10 to 15 yards farther than expected.  The most pleasant surprise has been the 4 and 5 iron which are very forgiving, and are absolute rocket launchers, but in a consistent way.  

I've now played 2 rounds and had a couple more ranges sessions with mine, and I'll echo what you've said above. These look so similar to my old apex MBs behind the ball and they feel really similar, too.  No flyers, really consistent shot windows, and the long irons might be the best I've ever hit.  Maybe I've just been in the zone for a week, but so far I see no drawbacks vs. the MB's.    

• Like 1

I played first 14 holes with mine yesterday... Ran out of time to finish...  I really like these irons.  The thing that impressed me most is the consistent distance, even on of center hits.  Round of tornados today, so no golf.  Hopefully this weekend we'll dry out and I'll be able to hit them again.  

I will be changing out my grips though... I ordered utx blue on everything.  Looks great, but it's a tad hard hard for my tastes.  

Edited by bogeypro
Correction

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

That's my worst nightmare right now.  That sucks, but I guess the 2-piece hollow construction lends itself a bit more to face cracking.  Callaway will make it right, no doubt.  Just might take a little bit longer than normal right now.  Yours is the first I've heard/seen do this so far...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeffJ1014 said:

That's my worst nightmare right now.  That sucks, but I guess the 2-piece hollow construction lends itself a bit more to face cracking.  Callaway will make it right, no doubt.  Just might take a little bit longer than normal right now.  Yours is the first I've heard/seen do this so far...

I've already reached out to Callaway to get a replacement. They said it should ship out on Monday. I was never worried about them taking care of me. Just wanted to share an issue that might come up with these

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, bogeypro said:

I played first 14 holes with mine yesterday... Ran out of time to finish...  I really like these irons.  The thing that impressed me most is the consistent distance, even on of center hits.  Round of tornados today, so no golf.  Hopefully this weekend we'll dry out and I'll be able to hit them again.  

I will be changing out my grips though... I ordered utx blue on everything.  Looks great, but it's a tad hard hard for my tastes.  

How are you liking the C Tapers with the Pro heads? Seems like a great combo for distance if the spin is still healthy. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

How are you liking the C Tapers with the Pro heads? Seems like a great combo for distance if the spin is still healthy. 

Awesome combo.  The ball gets up quick and then flattens out.  I'm getting 6000 spin off 7 iron...  I'm impressed so far

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

13 hours ago, tets said:

I got fit for the Apex Pro last Thursday afternoon, ordered that evening.  Clubs arrived at my door yesterday (Wednesday).  They were custom shaft and lie angle.  Order said 3 weeks, 6 days was much better!

Interesting... I ordered mine (R/H APEX Pro 4-PW, AW with DG 120 TI S400's @ +1/4" with Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360's) on Tuesday, and checked the online order status and was giving me an error. I just called.. the grips are on back order until April 8th, and the 8 iron head is on back order until April 28th... I can have the place that ordered them contact Callaway and have them break/ split the 8 iron out to ship later, and select a different grip that is in stock. I asked if I did that when would they be shipping less the 8 iron.. 7 days she replied.

1 hour ago, cadman88 said:

Interesting... I ordered mine (R/H APEX Pro 4-PW, AW with DG 120 TI S400's @ +1/4" with Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360's) on Tuesday, and checked the online order status and was giving me an error. I just called.. the grips are on back order until April 8th, and the 8 iron head is on back order until April 28th... I can have the place that ordered them contact Callaway and have them break/ split the 8 iron out to ship later, and select a different grip that is in stock. I asked if I did that when would they be shipping less the 8 iron.. 7 days she replied.

I got fit by a Callaway Rep at my club (trackman, many different shafts, heads etc) .. went home and went to Callaway.com and ordered the set myself, putting in the specs I was fit for.  He told sometimes even the grip can delay an order.  When I ordered mine it showed 3 weeks, got them if 5 days not counting the day I was fit and placed the order.

I've never played Callaway clubs except for a brief stint with the Apex 19 Pro hybrids and various Odyssey putters over the years.

I am super impressed with this year's lineup though. I've been hitting the Apex 21 Pro irons and Callaway has the advantage in 3 areas:

1. the website says they will ship in 5-7 days plus free 2 day air shipping;

2. no up charge for the PX IO shaft (disappointed to see it is a $25 up charge in the MD5 though);

3. only a $6 per club up charge for the MCC Plus4 grips;

With that said, how is their QC because they don't let you request swing weights. I am standard length, loft and lie and want the standard D2 but the MCC Plus4's can change that.

I'm also thinking about the MAX LS driver -3/4" and MAX 3 wood -1/4" - will they build the swing weight back up to standard?

Thanks!

I am taking my pro combo set in this week to have the lofts and lies checked, after 6 rounds I am still seeing some weird stuff flight and gap wise. I have never gotten a set of Callaway irons they came 100% as requested so it would not surprise me for the L/L's to be all over the place.

I have a SW scale and they hit that dead on and the lengths were correct so I was hoping they got the rest right, but too many strange things showing up on decent feeling swings.

Of course as a typical lousy golfer it could never be my swing (which has been a rebuilding effort since the knee surgery). But the Max LS is automatic so that gives me hope it is not completely my fault. 

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

4 hours ago, toddmanley said:

Maiden voyage with the new set this morning. 

D13F8257-A90B-4308-A76D-B566DAFB11D9.jpeg

Love the ferrules. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

11 hours ago, toddmanley said:

Maiden voyage with the new set this morning. 

D13F8257-A90B-4308-A76D-B566DAFB11D9.jpeg

Can you order custom ferrules thru Cally direct? Will they send them unassembled or selling heads only just yet?

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

On 3/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, osh9 said:

I've already reached out to Callaway to get a replacement. They said it should ship out on Monday. I was never worried about them taking care of me. Just wanted to share an issue that might come up with these

So how long Cally cover this kind of things? I don't think I would change my irons as of now but I'm genuinely interested in those hollow ones. If the cracking happens like after 2 years of usage, does Cally still cover it? 

12 hours ago, sociojeje said:

So how long Cally cover this kind of things? I don't think I would change my irons as of now but I'm genuinely interested in those hollow ones. If the cracking happens like after 2 years of usage, does Cally still cover it? 

I’d assume they would. As long is there isn’t any sign of abuse to the club and happened in the normal course of using the club. I just found it weird that it happened the second time I used the club. 

I was fitted for the Apex TCB, X-Forged CB and Apex Pro this weekend.  I decided to go with Apex Pro, though I got similar numbers with the other two clubheads.  The Apex TCB was intriguing, but I found it a little bit off on feel, even compared to the Apex MB.  The Apex Pro will be replacing my beloved Adams MB2 irons.  I decided to return to graphite after a few years away, but got similar numbers with the Recoil 110 compared to my favorite Tour V 110 and C-Taper Lite shafts.  Looking forward to seeing how these work over the season.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

14 hours ago, hooperpsu said:

Can you order custom ferrules thru Cally direct? Will they send them unassembled or selling heads only just yet?

Not that I'm aware of.  My set was built by a fitter who was kind enough to let me use these ferrules - I purchased them before doing the session and then handed him the ferrules and said, "Let me know if we can get these on the clubs."  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddmanley said:

Not that I'm aware of.  My set was built by a fitter who was kind enough to let me use these ferrules - I purchased them before doing the session and then handed him the ferrules and said, "Let me know if we can get these on the clubs."  

Good call. They look great. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

6 hours ago, osh9 said:

I’d assume they would. As long is there isn’t any sign of abuse to the club and happened in the normal course of using the club. I just found it weird that it happened the second time I used the club. 

Yeah I had a set of 2019 combos and there was an issue just outside two years and they were great in replacing them with no issue. Great customer service.