Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

On 3/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, JDCON said:

Dang it! Any suggestions to compare the 921 Tours to for feel?

The Apex Pro feel is more crisp then soft. Keep in mind they are multi material/hollow body irons so the softness of a true one piece forging is a different animal all together. The Tour pros on our staff that have them in the bag like the feedback they get (like a blade) but also the forgiveness of a CB. In regards to the loft package, its actually on the weaker side beyond the 45 degree PW. 23 in a 4 iron and 26 in a 5 iron would fall on the std to slightly weaker then std vs its comp. Cool thing about these is the long irons laic high with moderate spin and the short irons flight down with a sh$t to of spin. Its a great set of irons. I just wish I wasn't so stuck on my TCB/MB Combo. Id probably play better with the Apex Pros lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was fitted today at a local, full service golf shop in my area.    I'm 72 and my frozen handicap for the winter is 7.1. My Driver swing speed is 98-101MPH. I will be coming from some blade

😲😲😲   These things look soooooo good in hand.    

Posted Images

Looks like i am going to be joining the Callaway iron family after years of playing other brands. Got fitted at a reputable shop into Apex Pros after playing Srixon 745s for over 8 years. Tried everything under the sun and loved the ZX7 but the performance of the pros (with TT X7s ) blew everything else out of the water, especially on slight mishits.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, stoneydukes said:

got to hit my apex 21 for the first time last night and all I can say is WOW. I played a set of MP20 HMB all last season and recently put a set of kbs tgi 95 to replace my trusty Modus 120. My last 2 rounds have been with an Apex 19 smoke combo set with the catalyst 100 CW shafts which I really enjoyed. The apex 21 came with with the factory elevate 95 ETS and after my first indoor range session with the set, I'm pretty sure they will stay. I have a set of catalyst ready if I start getting any joint pain but the VSS system seems to be working well and my front to back dispersion with the steel is noticeably better than with the graphite (and the catalyst were totally gameable). Pretty sure the apex 21 will stay in the bag all season and I can't remember a time in the past few years (besides the HMB) that I've been able to say that. These feel and perform amazing.

Did you have any launch issues with the Catalyst 100s?  They are listed as low launch, low spin.  The Elevate 95s are listed as high launch, high spin in comparison.

Titleist TSi3 9* Diamana D+ Limited 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Diamana D+ 70X
Titleist TS2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TS2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S
Scottie Newport M2

5 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Did you have any launch issues with the Catalyst 100s?  They are listed as low launch, low spin.  The Elevate 95s are listed as high launch, high spin in comparison.

I would have to look at my range logs but on course was actually pretty similar to my eye. The catalyst were in apex 19 so not sure if that made a difference 

On 4/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, cadman88 said:

I have not hit my new APEX Pro's yet, but they definitely look very nice..

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Those look fantastic. I am torn between the regular Apex 21s and the Pros. I probably hit the ball well enough to hit the Pros, but I know how much easier it is to hit cavity backs and not have to focus quite so hard. Tough decision.

For those who are familiar with both the CF16's and the regular Apex 21 irons...

How do they compare with respect to turf interaction, and general playability & forgiveness ??? With respect to turf interaction I find that the CF16 irons are the best irons I've ever played.

Also, many of the CF16 owners complained about fliers. I still get them, but not as many as some of the previous owners. I get one on average every 2 to 3 rounds, perfectly struck balls are going 15 to 20 yards longer for no explainable reasons. I'm hoping that Callaway has resolved this issue with the Apex 21 irons.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Pinky5 said:

Those look fantastic. I am torn between the regular Apex 21s and the Pros. I probably hit the ball well enough to hit the Pros, but I know how much easier it is to hit cavity backs and not have to focus quite so hard. Tough decision.

For me the deciding factor was stock lofts of them.. the APEX Pro 21's were closest to my Wilson Staff Model blades (7 irons are at 33° vs 34°) and the APEX 21 7 iron is 30.5°

After having been playing irons with the 7 iron at 34° for the last four sets of irons I wanted to stay somewhat similar lofted thru-out the set. 

A side note, I still have yet to hit my APEX Pro 21's.. minor surgery last week has me sidelined for another week or two.. but looking forward to getting out with them.

Edited by cadman88
  • Like 2

I am really liking mine. I only have 3 out of the 5 irons I ordered (9 iron was on back order, 8 iron had to be returned/replaced), but the 7, PW and AW are all solid performers.

I would say that my Apex 19 Pros feel a bit better. Especially on flushed shots!

TaylorMade Sim Max w/ Riptide CB
Callaway Epic Max 5 Fairway, PX HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60
Ping G425 4h, 5h, 6h w/Alta CB 70 Slate

Callaway Apex 21 Pro 7-AW w/Recoil 
Callaway Jaws MD5 - 54/10
Callaway Jaws MD5 - 60/8LB
PXG Bat Attack
Callaway Chrome Soft/Z-Star
Big Max Sport Lite Bag

Im so torn on Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB !  I prefer the solid feel of the Xforged, but the forgiveness on the Apex pro would be nice?

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

Driver - Ping g410 LST / Tour AD HD   

3 wood - Cobra F9 / Oban Kiyoshi Gold

5wood - TaylorMade M6 / Tour Ad FWY

Hybrid - PXG 0811 22deg / MMT 

Irons - Cobra Forged Tech 5-P / DG105

Wedges50 Callaway MD4 / DG 115 <> 54 Vokey SM7 54 S Grind / DG 115 <> 58 Vokey SM6  M Grind / DG115

Putter - PXG Closer Slant <> Goodwood G7

Ball - Bridgestone Tour Bx

2 minutes ago, southpawfox said:

Im so torn on Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB !  I prefer the solid feel of the Xforged, but the forgiveness on the Apex pro would be nice?

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

Same boat - the other challenge is I can't find a full set of Apex Pro's anywhere near me to see what the full run looks like, let alone hit in anything close to my specs...I know I love the X Forged feel so I may just end up having to go with those since I can put my hands on a full set rather than the guess on the Pro's. That makes a combo set even more tricky with the transition not seeing/testing them before.

...and we're not even adding the TCB's to the complication matrix!

Edited by hooperpsu
1 hour ago, southpawfox said:

Coming from MIzuno blades I will say the Apex Pro forgiveness is legit.  I played Poppy Hills yesterday (for those not familiar this used to be part of the AT&T Pro-am course rotation) and on the second hole (Par 3 - front pin location was 155 and into a headwind) I pulled an 8-iron. 

I hit it a grove or two low on the Apex Pro face which would have been penalizing with my old set of MP-18's (check out the 1:10 mark of the video to get a sense of the trouble).  A strike of that location on the blade probably would have left me 8-10 yards short and possibly down where the grass blends into the natural shrubs but the Apex Pro had enough forgiveness that I landed about 6 feet below the hole and of course missed the easiest birdie putt of the day.  A well flushed 8-iron would have landed a 2-3 yards past the hold and likely would have spun back down the green toward the front pin location.

Edited by toddmanley
added video details
On 4/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, southpawfox said:

thoughts on 

5/6/7 Apex Pro 

8/9/P X Forged CB ?   

That is the lineup I’m playing but I also got the XFCB gap wedge. It is not a combo offered so you have to order as individual irons. Mine arrived last week. Playing first round Thursday. They were spot on in range session. Very consistent irons on distance. They get in and out of the ground quick too.