2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Apex and Apex Pro 21

Lefty87

I am a looking to find a set of the Pro 21s somewhere. I am totally stock fit..standard length and lie with stock graphite MMT 85 Reg flex shafts. Any idea where I might find a set in stock somewhere?

I really like me combo set but I would prefer a whole set of Pros..

Thanks

Ping G425 9 deg set to 8 deg Tensei Orange Reg
Ping G425 5 Wood Alta Reg
Ping G425 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids Alta Reg
Mizuno 921 Forged Recoil ESX 460 F3 6-AW
Cleveland CBX ZipCore. 54 & 58 
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 34"
Titleist ProV1
2020 Ping Pioneer Black

2 hours ago, sociojeje said:

For Apex combo irons, I see lofts are slightly different but offsets are the same. Are they made differently or just bent a degree or two? 

One of the Callaway videos talked about this. The Apex 21 and DCB irons are bent, but the Apex Pros "are tooled". Also, if I remember correctly the Pro's normally have a tapered fit hosel but be combo set Apex Pro are tooled for a parallel tip shaft to match the Apex 21 and DCB irons.

Personally I don't know why they use two different hosel types (tapered / parallel) in irons... is it for improved feel ???

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I just rebuilt my set of std apex 21 irons 4-AW from the stock elevate 95 to a set of MMT 95S pulls from a set of pros. The elevate 95 were all parallel 0.370 and the MMT were all taper tip. I went and hit 5-9 irons in the monitor yesterday and can say without a doubt this is the best feeling combo of shaft and head I've hit in a LONG time. First round at TPC Colorado this Sunday so very much looking forward to on-course performance. Based on feel, distance, and numbers I saw off mats in the monitor, I'm thinking these stay in the bag all season at least. The lofts of the std Apex are a little strong so I may end up with a spinnier ball (currently playing TP5X) or adjusting the lofts weak a degree or two to hit my target numbers. 

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, DMartini said:

Reading the comments on this page its good to see that the CF16 still holds its own and the new 21 version is quite comparable. 

Would be great if a youtuber or WRXer could do a comparison with 14,16,19 & 21 Apex and Pro. 

I too would love to see this comparison.  13.8 handicap who's been as low as a 9.8 back when I was playing 2-3 times a week, but I've never been a long hitter.  I bought the Apex 14's in 2016 from Callaway Pre-Owned (dead mint set with 7 of the 8 irons still in the plastic), and the CF16's in 2019, also from Callaway Pre-Owned (also a mint set).  I loved the look and feel of the 14's, and I love the extra distance of the 16's (a club to club and a half longer - but I also switched to graphite), but I would love to have a marriage of the 2.  Plus the CF16 mid-irons tend to run out on me, even an 8 iron -- which I used to be able to drop-and-stop with my old irons.  But my CF16's are still in great shape, so I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

Edited by LeeDempsey
updated info
  • Like 1

I'm still gaming the CF16's but they are likely to be replaced by the Apex 21's, Apex DCB's, or more likely a combo of the two. Once I get the rust off of the swing it'll be time for a fitting.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

One thing to be aware of, the standard apex head is slightly less forgiving and slightly lower launching than the 19' version. Visually it also looks slightly more compact. I assume this had something to do with making room for the new DCB version, which isn't all the different looking than the apex 19. So if someone is looking for max forgiveness more comparable to the 19's in long irons they may want to consider the apex/apex dcb combo set. 

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 2:17 AM, st_pedro said:

Finally finished rebuilding the Apex Pro21 with kbs cTaper 120 S+

Testing the distance matrix on the range with GCQuad before on course next week

A351525D-C257-42E5-8771-5CE9D192AE52.jpeg.206cd60472fbea3d4cb586931c1e5bc2.jpeg

The Rock Applause GIF

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

7 hours ago, CTranggggg23 said:

How did you get the paintfill out of the badging? Looks so good... 😯

just standard paint remover and wooden toothpick to clean the edges

• Like 3

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”

I am playing the Apex DCB's and could not be happier. I was playing the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal's and these feel much better and are just as forgiving. They do seem to hit the ball high though, for me its great. 

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Just a little PSA to stay on top of your orders.  I had plenty of Callaway credit and rewards, so I placed an order last week for some LH Apex 21 DCB irons with MMT 105 shafts, 5-AW.  When I called up for the original order, rep did not really see any backorder issues.  

When my order was somehow showing mid-August delivery on the website, I called up yesterday.  Turned out the Z Grip Chev grip was causing a backorder issue to August.  Switched to another grip (about the only one without a backorder is the Callaway universal), and my order switched to early-mid July delivery.  I called up today to check on something else with the order, and they told me the 5 iron was now backordered until mid-August.  C’mon now.  So, I cancelled my current order, placed a new order for 6-AW, and hopefully this one will now be on track.

I know this is not limited to Callaway, but they seem to now be bitten by the backorder bug as well.  YMMV.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Pro/MB 21 combo set, (4-7 / 8-PW) and the 4 iron face just legit cracked in half and the 6 iron looks ready to go as well. Something is up with the Pro face construction. Anyone know if they'll allow me to switch out the entire Pro for either the TCB or MB 4-7? I'd prefer not to keep playing the Pro if this is where things are headed. They've barely been gamed.

(Love the MB's, for the record.) 

Edited by 41NAS

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

2 hours ago, 41NAS said:

Have a Pro/MB 21 combo set, (4-7 / 8-PW) and the 4 iron face just legit cracked in half and the 6 iron looks ready to go as well. Something is up with the Pro face construction. Anyone know if they'll allow me to switch out the entire Pro for either the TCB or MB 4-7? I'd prefer not to keep playing the Pro if this is where things are headed. They've barely been gamed.

(Love the MB's, for the record.) 

Not sure about the face construction, but the set I had started to rust on the back side of the club in the groove around APEX after one day in the rain. Too bad, because I thought they were one of the best looking and feeling clubs out this year.

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

15 hours ago, PT1911 said:

Not sure about the face construction, but the set I had started to rust on the back side of the club in the groove around APEX after one day in the rain. Too bad, because I thought they were one of the best looking and feeling clubs out this year.

Callaway CS are sending me a brand new 4-7 in the MB and are taking back the Pro 21. At least they are making it right. 

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

3 minutes ago, 41NAS said:

Callaway CS are sending me a brand new 4-7 in the MB and are taking back the Pro 21. At least they are making it right. 

That is awesome, glad to see prompt and excellent customer service!

• Like 1

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

On 6/28/2021 at 1:47 PM, PT1911 said:

Anyone have first hand experience on the forgiveness between the Apex Pro's and the Mizuno HMB's?

I've had the HMB's and I currently have the 2021 Apex Pros.   I thought the HMB's get the nod for forgiveness, especially on toe strikes, 

but I like the feel and look of the Apex Pro's quite a bit more.  The HMB's for some reason were not as satisfying at impact for me. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9* 
Titleist TS2 15

Titleist TS2 21
Titlleist 913 H  27 deg.
New Level 902 PD  6 - PW

Vokey SM5 58, 50
Pro V1x Left Dash

14 hours ago, Whipitgood13 said:

I've had the HMB's and I currently have the 2021 Apex Pros.   I thought the HMB's get the nod for forgiveness, especially on toe strikes, 

but I like the feel and look of the Apex Pro's quite a bit more.  The HMB's for some reason were not as satisfying at impact for me. 

I've owned and played both for a while.  The feel of the HMB's were pretty good - that typical soft Mizuno feel most of us are used to with their blades.  However, for me they produced some real flyers and brought some inconsistencies into my game with my scoring irons due to balls jumping off the face (also saw this with the P770's I demo'd too).

The Apex Pro's had a nicer, more blade-like look but definitely a firmer and clicky sound at impact.  I did have way better dispursion numbers (front to back) and ultimately these won out.  But given my WRX'er bent I have moved on to the TCB's which have been a better fit for me.

8 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I've owned and played both for a while.  The feel of the HMB's were pretty good - that typical soft Mizuno feel most of us are used to with their blades.  However, for me they produced some real flyers and brought some inconsistencies into my game with my scoring irons due to balls jumping off the face (also saw this with the P770's I demo'd too).

The Apex Pro's had a nicer, more blade-like look but definitely a firmer and clicky sound at impact.  I did have way better dispursion numbers (front to back) and ultimately these won out.  But given my WRX'er bent I have moved on to the TCB's which have been a better fit for me.

Interesting.   I have not hit the TCB's.   But they are certainly getting good results on tour.    How does the forgiveness compare between the Apex Pro's and the TCB's ?    I was coming from TM  P7MC's and while they felt good,  i needed just a bit more leeway in the mis hit dept.  

Callaway Epic Speed 9* 
Titleist TS2 15

Titleist TS2 21
Titlleist 913 H  27 deg.
New Level 902 PD  6 - PW

Vokey SM5 58, 50
Pro V1x Left Dash

2 hours ago, Whipitgood13 said:

How does the forgiveness compare between the Apex Pro's and the TCB's ? 

It feels like the sweet spot is a tad larger on the Apex Pro's but you loose a little bit of granularity on being able to really pinpoint where you struck it on the face.  The TCB's remind me of my old blades (MP-33, -18) where feedback was precise and you could immediately tell if you hit the ball a groove low.

• Like 1

I didn't like my Pros early this year but I got a set of Apex 21s and they are like cheating. I've never made so many bad swings that hit the green. Not sure on shafts as I'm using stock stiffs currently but I don't even think it matters. Great sticks. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I know Callaway bought out Hogan irons and they have used the Apex name for many years now but when ever I hear the word APEX I can only think of Hogan irons. Maybe it's because  when you mentions the word APEX with Callaway you might be talking about 8 different sets that include the word APEX, as you have APEX, the Pro's, the DCB the TCB the mixed combo, the Player Combo, the Sweet Spot combo and the Triple play combo. Then go look at their website WOW there is like 19 different sets of irons not to include the Hybrid combos. This has got to be an all time record. 

I would be so confused in picking out a set of DCB's as I did come close and have owned there APEX CF16's as they are nice but to pick out a set and then wonder maybe I should have got the other set instead. I do like and play their EPIC MAX driver, 3W and 5W as they pretty much beat everything else out for 2021 and really hope for all of 2022

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone help me out with the long irons in callaways lineup? Im pretty set on going 6-pw mb, but unfortunately just dont hit the 4 and 5 well enough, and would like a little more help. Considering apex pro and apex tcb. These things are hard to find in person where im at, ive only hit the 21 apex pro 7 iron. I also have hit a 19 apex pro 4 iron and had good results. Wouldnt be apposed to those either, just looking for comparisons or differences in the three… forgiveness? Launch? Turf interaction? Feel? Any help appreciated

I've had both the Apex Pro '21 and TCB's this year - currently playing the TCB.  To me the turf interaction was very similar but the biggest difference was feel and sound.  The TCB has a softer feel and will likely blend (feel-wise) well with your MB's.  The Pro's will feel a bit more clicky and more firm.  For me the forgiveness is about the same (it helps I'm a pretty consistent ball striker) and the launch on the Pro's is just a little higher, but I do know my TCB's spin more across all clubs so I've been really happy with the lower flights and stopping power.  Two different ways to get to the end result at the pin, you just need to figure out which flight/trajectory you want to play in the bag.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

I've had both the Apex Pro '21 and TCB's this year - currently playing the TCB.  To me the turf interaction was very similar but the biggest difference was feel and sound.  The TCB has a softer feel and will likely blend (feel-wise) well with your MB's.  The Pro's will feel a bit more clicky and more firm.  For me the forgiveness is about the same (it helps I'm a pretty consistent ball striker) and the launch on the Pro's is just a little higher, but I do know my TCB's spin more across all clubs so I've been really happy with the lower flights and stopping power.  Two different ways to get to the end result at the pin, you just need to figure out which flight/trajectory you want to play in the bag.

Sounds like its tcb, thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, first post here. 

I have not been in the irons market for almost 20 years as I've been married to my TaylorMade rac LTs since I bought them new around 2003.  But eventually all things come to an end as this set is really starting to show it's age this past year and it's put me to look for a replacement, which is how I end up here.

I'm looking at the Apex and Apex Pro mixed combo set as I would gain about 1-1.5 clubs on the set compared to my rac LTs and I could honestly use some extra distance in my long irons with the way courses are now set up. 

What I don't know anything about these days are shafts.  I have Rifle FCM 6.0 shafts on my racs and I would love something very similar if I could find it.  From my initial thoughts on the Callaway site, I would have thought the Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts would be the equivalent.  I did ask both a Callaway rep and a True Temper rep and they both said the PX 6.0 would be the one to go for, but now I'm not so sure as I've done some research and from a lot of forum posts it appears the PX 5.5 might actually be the equivalent to the Rifle FCM 6.0 shafts, while the PX 6.0 are more equivalent to FCM 6.5.  The shafts I have now are from before True Temper took over the Rifle brand so I'm not sure if the ratings are the same and I don't really know any stats on the old Rifle FCM 6.0, like the weight for example.  So which one is it?  Am I better going for the PX 6.0 or 5.5?

Also, anyone have experience with the Golf Pride Z Grip softs?  Are those just a cordless version of the normal Z Grip, meaning they are just a little easier on the hands?

I don't live near a fitter so I'm ordering direct from Callaway and going to one is just not an option for me.  Any help would be much appreciated! 

• 1 month later...

Quite a few comments about preference of head regarding apex or pro. How many people were actually fitted? I was fitted and amazed at how much my current clubs were not right for me. I tired a dozen shafts with mixed weights and eventually a couple that gave me good smash factor, launch, spin, ball speed, club speed and dispersion. My dynamic loft was still a little high but that's me and not the club. All I'm trying to say is get fitted rather than thinking you know what is right for you, its eye opening. 

Edited by Toolsy
spelling