Seniors @ 200-210 Yards WITB

1 hour ago, platgof said:

I have found that the G700 irons can hold their own with hybrids. I carry a 5 iron now, and it has been years since that happened. For the shorter irons I really like the F9 irons. That 9 iron is stupid easy to hit at the stick. I play the senior tees and rely more on the short irons. I do have some of those 135-150 yard shots, and sometimes more. I hit my 7 iron around 135, not long at all. This time of year I just chill, as nothing is going to travel far in this weather. 

Interesting you should make the comparison between G700 and hybrids. Before my in person fitting, I did Ping's online fitting and was surprised that they didn't recommend any hybrids. Thinking about it further, it struck me that the G710s probably played quite a bit like hybrids. I got word this afternoon that mine are about a week out, so I should know soon. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You've gotten a fair number of replies for not catering to 99.5% of WRXers.  I'm 62 and currently playing to a 22 (4 years ago I was a 14).  I've played for about 15 years and am losing ground each ye

My thoughts are, we have to have a great driver, and great hybrids.  The rest of the bag is just build to taste, and the irons are not as important as they seem because basically you'll only be hittin

Sorry I am leaving out the 99.5% of playas here, but this one is just for the senior crowd that doesn't kill the ball. I am using the G400 Max driver, F9 fairway woods, RBZ 5-6 hybrids, G700 5-8 iron,

Posted Images

Driver carry 190-200, 7 iron carry 130 here.

I played driver 4/7 wood, 23/27 hybrid, and 7-LW all this year as a setup and really I just hate hybrids — and even though I don’t mind high loft fairway woods, I built this bag to fit my real preferences and compensated every way I could sans flex (I hook the heck out of clubs too loose) to increase launch/land angle:

Callaway GBB 10.5* down to 9.5* (Speeder 40ish gram stiff shaft)

Callaway XR16 Pro 14* (Speeder 40ish gram stiff shaft) used off tee so low loft is fine

Callaway Apex CF16 3-AW (Nippon Zelos 7 stiff) as loose as I can go with a shaft and get away with it and with little shaft lean at impact the ball speed and launch seems enough to make this hold greens ok

Callaway MD4 54/60 (Zelos 7 stiff)

An old Odyssey white hot broomstick putter (bad back doesn’t help that carry distance)

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha B21 9* (Callaway RCH 55 S)

Callaway Big Bertha B21 15*, 18* (Callaway RCH 65 S)

Callaway Big Bertha B21 4-PW, AW, SW (KBS Max CT80 S)

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 60* (KBS Max CT80 S)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten (33”)

Callaway ERC Soft Triple Track

I'm not a senior but my father is 72.  I would like to share his WITB.

XXIO model X w/stock R flex shaft

TM burner 3 metal w/stock R flex shaft

Titleist TS 4 HB w/ck pro blue 70R

XXIO Eleven 4-pw w/stock R flex shaft

Cleveland 588 56*/60* w/stock shaft

Scotty Cameron Newport

Titleist AVX

He plays to a 6 handicap and can still get it out there 230 yards when he hits a good one. 

• Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

68, hi of 14.  Slowly recovering from a bunch of injuries, hoping not to injure myself more in the process.

Went to Ping G410 LST 10.5 driver with Tensei orange this year and it is as long and more accurate than anything else I found.

G10 5 wood and 4, 5 hybrids love them.

Irons are my nemesis.  XXIO Elevens for now, probably will be replaced this winter.

Cleveland CBX wedges and a Callaway Sure Out for the sand.

Have just gone to an armlock putter—Odyssey Seven— and I’m very pleased with the results so far.

20 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

My thoughts are, we have to have a great driver, and great hybrids.  The rest of the bag is just build to taste, and the irons are not as important as they seem because basically you'll only be hitting short irons.  Maybe a 6 iron, maybe not.  Depending on lofts.

The driver need is obvious.

The hybrids have to be great.  We need reliable 150-170 yard shots because we get a lot of them. 

The fairway wood is only truly helpful if you can hit good layups, enough longer than your longest hybrid to make a difference. 

Irons, once you are only hitting them for 145 and under, just get something that goes through the turf the way you like, and has appropriate forgiveness etc.  If you've done a good job replacing longer irons with hybrids, I don't see any need for high tech distance irons.  The irons in which you need that are already out of the bag. 

Wedges and putter, go with whatever works best.

In summary, as much as I am fond of irons and not as fond of hybrids, the whole bag decision in this category comes down to getting great hybrids.  And for me at least, that's not easy.

Snowman9000 - Your comments resonate with me, particularly as they relate to finding great hybrids. During the 2020 season, I switched back and forth between Ping G10s and Titleist 816s, both set at 25* and 28*. Toward the end of the season, I sometimes swapped in a Ping Anser 27*. My carry for the 27*/28* hybrid is 140 with a total distance of 150, both yardages are approximates based on my "on course" observations.  The 25* hybrid is about 10-yards longer. 

I find that the Epic Flash Heavenwood is terrific for second shots on par 5 and long par 4 holes (around 390 yards or more) and for tee shots on short par 4s and expect to use the 9-wood similarly. Going forward, most of my hybrid use will be for approach shots to the green, in addition to tee shots on par 3s. Therefore, consistent distance and high trajectory should be more important with my hybrids. 

Like platgof, I'm hoping to get some ideas from this thread.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

My thoughts are, we have to have a great driver, and great hybrids.  The rest of the bag is just build to taste, and the irons are not as important as they seem because basically you'll only be hitting short irons.  Maybe a 6 iron, maybe not.  Depending on lofts.

What I'm seeing among seniors is splitout between higher-lofted FWs and hybrids. Some people just hit fairways better than hybrids. Some have mentioned trying to find low-kick shafts in FWs, which helps out.

As I mentioned earlier, the Rogues are a compromise between SGI woods and more aggressive Alpha 815 FWs. Rogues have lighter shafts, which helps on tempo. BTW, I'll be  entering my tenth season with some version of 4W + 7W.

I also carry a 4H - the BB O'Size much easier to hit than previous, and a 4i refitted with a graphite hybrid shaft. 4i delivers a low, fairly hot draw good for those short par 4s without much landing area.

(I fare better if I finesse - rather than attack - those develish little risk-reward holes).

Should I add back a fourth wedge, I would omit either the 4H or the 4 depending upon the course I was playing.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Some excellent thoughts on this subject.  We all come at this from our perspective.

I turn 60 in two months.  New hip and new shoulder in last 8 years has created a swing speed drop.  Play to a 6.8 right now.  Been as low as a 2.0 twenty years ago...

Ping G-410LST- 9 degree ...now.   Probably dialing it up soon.

Cobra F-9 #3 wood at 13.5-- my alternate tee club and occasional fwy shot with excellent lie.   Most likely club to leave the bag... even though I love it.

Cobra F-6 Baffler @ 16.5-  This club makes my #3 wood dispensable.  It will be the last to leave.  I have it at 41".. LOVE IT.  

Maltby KE-4 Tour 19 Degree Utility-  Not going anywhere soon-- THanks Natrobin-- this was a $25 purchase..

This is where I think things are going to be changing.... or at least alternating... HO HO HO I go.

Right now- Maltby TS-2  #5 6 Irons.   TS-1- 7-GW-  Maltby TSW 54-58.    Graphite- Recoil 680 F-4.  Wedge- in Nippon 1050

Looking to build my "older Man" alternative.  Maltby 22 Degree KE-4 Tour Utility- Maltby PTM 6- GW.  These are going to be in Aldila NV graphite-- Keeping the wedges- they are SOOOOO GOOD.     Looking at dropping the #3 wood and considering a 25 Utility... or bending my #6 and #7 iron a degree strong and see if I have a meaningful gap.

Finding a way to play the 170-215 yd shots is everything IMO.   

Edited by mustang
2 hours ago, mustang said:

Finding a way to play the 170-215 yd shots is everything IMO.   

Generally speaking those are lay-ups for me.  While the 170 is doable as that would be a solid 3W, I approach that as expecting to be left with a chip and a putt for par.  Anything longer and I need to consider what gets me to a good number for a reliable full swing shot.  If it's 215 then I'm probably looking at a 7 iron and a SW/AW depending upon what's left.

The truth is that bogies are going to be a pretty good score for a lot of holes when playing something in the order of 5700-5800 yards and par 70.  In fact, I've taken to playing a 200 yd, par 3 at my home course as a 4 shot hole.  There's just way too much trouble lurking to push it with driver.  Better to take a 5 hybrid to a good lie in the fairway and pitch it below the hole to leave yourself with an uphill putt versus a sidewinder if you find yourself left or right of the green.

• Like 4

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

61, driver carry about 180, my handicap is probably a 15 or so, with my scores being a function of the length of the course.  I'm in the low 80's on the 6100 yard tees at my home course, but struggle to break 90 on anything over 6600 or so. 

XXIO driver 10.5, stock shaft.  Pulled from a used rack--I think it's the 2016 model.  R flex.

Callaway Epic Star 3 and 5 woods.  A flex.

XXIO 5 hybrid, R flex.  Same vintage as the driver.

Callaway Apex 16 6-P, Recoil 760, R flex.

Hogan Equalizer 50 and 56 wedges, Recoil R.

Hogan Big Ben putter

I posted earlier on my WITB. I am enjoying reading some of the more recent posts which recognize 200-210 driver puts pressure to hit a 170-215 shot to hit GIR, especially par 4s. I am moving towards playing 2nd shot to 100-75 spot and then full swing 3rd shot to get close to the hole. Still a  chance for a par or an easy 2 putt bogey. Same for long par 3s as not holding a green with a driver or 3w. Going over my score cards, I am losing most shots on Par 3 & 4s, not par 5s. Only other way is to play senior tees and a few guys I golf with are just not ready for that.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Alta CB R flex or Ping Distanza SR flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB, R flex std length

Cleveland Launcher HB 3 hybrid, 19°, Miyasaki C Kua, R flex, std length(currently in time out)
Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland CBX2, 54°/12 bounce, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel, R flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"

On 11/30/2020 at 1:32 PM, Snowman9000 said:

The driver need is obvious.

The hybrids have to be great.  We need reliable 150-170 yard shots because we get a lot of them. 

The fairway wood is only truly helpful if you can hit good layups, enough longer than your longest hybrid to make a difference. 

Irons, once you are only hitting them for 145 and under, just get something that goes through the turf the way you like, and has appropriate forgiveness etc.  If you've done a good job replacing longer irons with hybrids, I don't see any need for high tech distance irons.  The irons in which you need that are already out of the bag. 

Wedges and putter, go with whatever works best.

In summary, as much as I am fond of irons and not as fond of hybrids, the whole bag decision in this category comes down to getting great hybrids.  And for me at least, that's not easy.

Your thoughts are very insightful and prompted me to take a look at how my clubs are used in a typical round:

Driver: 12x ; 8 tee shots on par 4s, 4 tee shots on par 5s

4W(16.5°): 6x ; 2 tee shots on par 4s, 4 second shots on par 5s

Hybrids(21°, 25°): 6x ; 2 tee shots on par 3s, 4 approach shots on par 4s

24x total with driver/4W/hybrids

Looks like I really need to focus more on those clubs during my range sessions, and short game, of course, because I only hit 6-8 GIR typically.

Titleist TSi2 11° - Ventus Velo Red 5R

Titleist TS2 18° - Ventus Velo Red 6R

Titleist 818H1 21° - AD HY 75R

Titleist 818H1 25° - AD HY 75R

TaylorMade 2020.P770 5-PW - NS Pro 950GH R

Vokey SM7 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 F - NS Pro 950GH R

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Titleist ProV1

23 hours ago, trapsmv15 said:

Driver carry 190-200, 7 iron carry 130 here.

I played driver 4/7 wood, 23/27 hybrid, and 7-LW all this year as a setup and really I just hate hybrids — and even though I don’t mind high loft fairway woods, I built this bag to fit my real preferences and compensated every way I could sans flex (I hook the heck out of clubs too loose) to increase launch/land angle:

Callaway GBB 10.5* down to 9.5* (Speeder 40ish gram stiff shaft)

Callaway XR16 Pro 14* (Speeder 40ish gram stiff shaft) used off tee so low loft is fine

Callaway Apex CF16 3-AW (Nippon Zelos 7 stiff) as loose as I can go with a shaft and get away with it and with little shaft lean at impact the ball speed and launch seems enough to make this hold greens ok

Callaway MD4 54/60 (Zelos 7 stiff)

An old Odyssey white hot broomstick putter (bad back doesn’t help that carry distance)

We have identical distances.  Very similar setup as well.  Except I still have a 6 iron in the bag.  Although it came up short on s couple 140 yard shots last week.  Might be time to add the hybrid there 😞

Tell me a bit about the zelos shafts, I have been hearing a lot about them.  Have you played recoil? Any comparison of the two. 

:smilie_titty: TS1 9.0  Fubuki 45G Shaft
:smilie_ping: G410 5 & 7 FW Alta CB 65g
:smilie_ping: G410 4 hybrid Alta CB
:smilie_titty:T100S/T200 Jet Black Combo AMT Black R300 
Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

27 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

We have identical distances.  Very similar setup as well.  Except I still have a 6 iron in the bag.  Although it came up short on s couple 140 yard shots last week.  Might be time to add the hybrid there 😞

Tell me a bit about the zelos shafts, I have been hearing a lot about them.  Have you played recoil? Any comparison of the two. 

The only recoil I’ve played was an f3 smac wrap in a long iron that a friend had that I borrowed for 2 rounds (and hit it a lot). I can’t remember the weight but it certainly was fairly light in general. I liked the smooth but heavy feel. It never once felt loose — I guess my interpretation of loose is probably just whatever bend at the tip end. Zelos to me feels a little smoother and more kick even in the stiff compared to that f3, but right now I play the Zelos over-length so that could contribute. But honestly using the recoil was a little while ago so ymmv

I ‘should’ play hybrids. The setup I had is supposedly the best for my game. But my dispersion was awful with hybrids at times and I got a height increase but not enough to fully fight through the issues I had. High loft fairway woods are where someone could probably call me on my ego BS though, I hit woods pretty well and could go down that route. Still meh on the dispersion but no hooks from those

• Like 1

My FWIW on the subject.  I'm 69+, in good health, absent any afflictions that need need to be addressed via implement considerations.  Very much the average bogey golfer, typically in the 85 - 90 range.  About as good as can be expected given that I've never had a lesson, and rarely practice.  Other than the occasionally solo round when I want to "work on some swing things".  No handicap, no need for one.  Don't know what my swing speed is these days.  Play whatever tees that makes course yardages 5500 - 6000 yards.  The buds and I have all the fun we can handle from these distances.  

Having a good, repeatable swing is and always will be paramount.  Don't find that clubs make all that much difference as long as they're in the neighborhood for fit and suitability.  

Driver:  Ping G400 Max 10.5*, stock Alta CB 55.  Works fine, get 205 - 215 depending, ball goes reasonably straight .  Quite confident with driver in hand.  

Fairways:  Started the year with a 16.5* V-Steel 4w, shafted PL Platinum (regular).  Was having some issues with consistency, so I switched back to the 18* V-Steel 5W with same shaft.   Don't give up much in yardage, more confident (and straighter) with the 5w.  Also bagged are a 21* V-Steel 7w and 24* V-Steel 9w with GD YS-6 (regular).  The 9w is essentially my equivalent to a hybrid, preferring a fairway.  Utilize it from 150+ out to 165 depending how I grip it.  Don't know what an equivalent hybrid would do for me that the 9 doesn't.  This is one area where updating may be considered. 

Irons.  An area where some issues have developed.  Need the benefit of SGI, but find the typical design to be ponderous.  Too large a head, too wide of sole.  Only play irons from 150 yards and in.  Which corresponds to a 6 iron (28.5*) at 150.  The heretofore primary set has been Maltby TS-1's, shafted with Grafalloy PL Red Axis graphites (72g) regular.  Wonderful heads, shafts not so much.  Struggled with maintaining directional control.  Now of the belief that the shafts are simply too light.  Despite my testing of the weight in a demo club for a year.  I have to be careful with how I swing them, otherwise start hooking the ball.  Don't like the idea of having to "baby" the swing to maintain control.  And really notice the light weight with chip and pitch finesse shots in and around the green.  No feel.  Hard assessment of what I want to do with them this off season.  

Enter the second set of irons mid-season.  Ping BeNi ISI's (6 - S2).  Yes, 20+ year old irons.  That have been reshafted with TTDL XP steel (~114g) in regular.  My ball striking immediately improved.  The heft of the irons helped with maintaining my swing tempo.  Can be aggressive without concern of hooking the ball.  Distance per iron seem on par with the TS-1's despite being weaker in loft.  Don't need distance in the absolute, just consistent distance.  With control being of paramount importance.  Got an iron to cover every distance from 150 and in.  The number on the sole is immaterial, it's but a reference point.  Just simply have to execute a fundamentally sound golf swing.  Been more than a bit surprised with how well I've played these irons the latter half of the season.  

Wedges.  With the TS-1's, use a 54* TSW with TT XP95.  And a 58* Cleveland 900 with the stock "wedge" shaft.  With the ISI's, use the set 54* S2 (awaiting a reshaft from the z-z65)  All seem to do the job around the green and from sand.  

Putters are not a senior guy concern.  Use whatever one instills confidence.  They are not swung.  Been using a Ping Sigma G Tyne H for a couple of years now.  I simply putt better with it versus any of the others in inventory.  Like the head weight, aids in keeping my stroke smooth.  

Balls.  Prefer a mid-compression ball mostly.  The Snell MTB is a favorite.  Tested the BS e12 this fall and liked it as well.  

Perhaps a bit unconventional.  WTS, bagging what seems to work the best.  At this moment in time.  Given the quality of my entirely average game.   When I get old, may have to move to plan B.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

13 hours ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

Your thoughts are very insightful and prompted me to take a look at how my clubs are used in a typical round:

Driver: 12x ; 8 tee shots on par 4s, 4 tee shots on par 5s

4W(16.5°): 6x ; 2 tee shots on par 4s, 4 second shots on par 5s

Hybrids(21°, 25°): 6x ; 2 tee shots on par 3s, 4 approach shots on par 4s

24x total with driver/4W/hybrids

Looks like I really need to focus more on those clubs during my range sessions, and short game, of course, because I only hit 6-8 GIR typically.

Yeah if play slightly long tee boxes, my round is like that too.  I don't like doing that.  Now if I happen to have a great day with the hybrids, good things can happen.  But lately I've been moving up and hitting a lot more 7 irons through wedges.  Much more fun, I'll tell you.

I should have said in my first post that fairway woods can obviously substitute for hybrids.    Hybrids are so hard to get right.  I think I'm finally there, and now they are better than the fairways for me.  But at 150-170 we probably need something other than irons, so we have to get those clubs working well.

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Irons.  An area where some issues have developed.  Need the benefit of SGI, but find the typical design to be ponderous.  Too large a head, too wide of sole.  Only play irons from 150 yards and in.  Which corresponds to a 6 iron (28.5*) at 150.  The heretofore primary set has been Maltby TS-1's, shafted with Grafalloy PL Red Axis graphites (72g) regular.  Wonderful heads, shafts not so much.  Struggled with maintaining directional control.  Now of the belief that the shafts are simply too light.  Despite my testing of the weight in a demo club for a year.  I have to be careful with how I swing them, otherwise start hooking the ball.  Don't like the idea of having to "baby" the swing to maintain control.  And really notice the light weight with chip and pitch finesse shots in and around the green.  No feel.  Hard assessment of what I want to do with them this off season.  

Enter the second set of irons mid-season.  Ping BeNi ISI's (6 - S2).  Yes, 20+ year old irons.  That have been reshafted with TTDL XP steel (~114g) in regular.  My ball striking immediately improved.  The heft of the irons helped with maintaining my swing tempo.  Can be aggressive without concern of hooking the ball.  Distance per iron seem on par with the TS-1's despite being weaker in loft.  Don't need distance in the absolute, just consistent distance.  With control being of paramount importance.  Got an iron to cover every distance from 150 and in.  The number on the sole is immaterial, it's but a reference point.  Just simply have to execute a fundamentally sound golf swing.  Been more than a bit surprised with how well I've played these irons the latter half of the season.  

Your experience illustrates how we are over thinking the irons and trying to get max distance.  Like you say, irons are about control, and the number on the bottom doesn't matter.  The non-irons are the distance approach clubs now.

• Like 2

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
5 hours ago, trapsmv15 said:

The only recoil I’ve played was an f3 smac wrap in a long iron that a friend had that I borrowed for 2 rounds (and hit it a lot). I can’t remember the weight but it certainly was fairly light in general. I liked the smooth but heavy feel. It never once felt loose — I guess my interpretation of loose is probably just whatever bend at the tip end. Zelos to me feels a little smoother and more kick even in the stiff compared to that f3, but right now I play the Zelos over-length so that could contribute. But honestly using the recoil was a little while ago so ymmv

I ‘should’ play hybrids. The setup I had is supposedly the best for my game. But my dispersion was awful with hybrids at times and I got a height increase but not enough to fully fight through the issues I had. High loft fairway woods are where someone could probably call me on my ego BS though, I hit woods pretty well and could go down that route. Still meh on the dispersion but no hooks from those

Thanks for that.   WE are also similar with the FW, My PING G410 7W is probably my favorite club in the bag.  When I'm playing in our regular men's league we play the whites which are about 6200 yards, I have a lot of 160 to 170 yard shots in.   A nice smooth swing with the 7 is the 160, if I try to "go after it" as much as this body can..ha  I can get 170 out of it.    But I'm more accurate with it than I am with say my 6 iron from 135   I have tried the 9wood for the 150 ish level but It's not quite as accurate as the 7w, so I have stuck with a hybrid there. 

Thanks for the thoughts on the Zelos.  I am putting together an order for the ZX5's and have been torn between those and the recoils.  I think I'll end up going with the recoil which are the smac wraps you mentioned.  Just because I'm familiar with them.  

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

7 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Thanks for that.   WE are also similar with the FW, My PING G410 7W is probably my favorite club in the bag.  When I'm playing in our regular men's league we play the whites which are about 6200 yards, I have a lot of 160 to 170 yard shots in.   A nice smooth swing with the 7 is the 160, if I try to "go after it" as much as this body can..ha  I can get 170 out of it.    But I'm more accurate with it than I am with say my 6 iron from 135   I have tried the 9wood for the 150 ish level but It's not quite as accurate as the 7w, so I have stuck with a hybrid there. 

Thanks for the thoughts on the Zelos.  I am putting together an order for the ZX5's and have been torn between those and the recoils.  I think I'll end up going with the recoil which are the smac wraps you mentioned.  Just because I'm familiar with them.  

You can’t go wrong with either shaft imo, the recoils are obviously great. 

• Like 1

64 in February ... Ping G410 12 degree driver - just got a Distanza shaft to try and get more swing speed (and consistent distance), G410 3 wood with Senior Alta shaft - mostly use it off the tee on long par 3s or on very wide fairways, G410 3, 4, 5 hybrids that cover 160 to 190 and sometimes get in the air, PXG 0211 6 - GW regular graphite shafts cover 90 to 150, Glide 2.0 54 degree (11 iron, chip, pitch), CBX 58 degree (short chip, high short pitch, greenside bunkers), Odyssey O-works 2 ball (face balanced - great putter). I might switch from the PXGs to some G410 irons 718 AP1's I just picked up ...

Edited by AC in TX

The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
Ping G410+ 12.0° Sr

Ping G410 3W @ 15.5° Sr

Ping G410 3H @ 18° R + 4H @ 23° Sr + 5H @ 27° Sr

Titleist AP1 718 6 to W2 Sr

Cleveland CBX 58° S

Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Black

Play the proper set of tees where your approach is with an iron, not a hybrid or FW.

Get on a launch monitor.

Find a good instructor.

Get faster using Super Speed weighted sticks.

Turn 3 shots into 2 around the greens.

Be a better putter inside 6 feet.

Equipment can only help so much. Do all of the above to maximize your game.

• Like 1

TS3 9.5*, Tensei Blue AV 55R

TS2 15*, Tensei Blue AV 65R

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX-4 Raw 52* & RTX-3 Raw 58*, Mid, DG S400

Red X2 35”/330g

Tour B RX

- In the testing “lab”: 0811X+ Proto 10.5*; Original One 11.5*; RTX-4 Raw 58* Mid; Hi-Toe 64*; WHP 7CS; MTB-X, TP5x.

- Backups: EFSZ 9* & 15*; WHP CSM 400g.

Yesterday at the course I hit a 5 wood that went right on me, but still in play. Then I hit a G700 5 iron straight as an arrow right at the flag, and 20 yards further that the errant 5 wood. I need to rethink my strategy. Like I mentioned before, the G 700 irons can easily challenge hybrids.

Ping G Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5&7 wd

Cobra 4/5 hybrid

Ping G410 5 hybrid

PXG Gen2 6-aw

Cally MD5 54* F

Titleist SM7 58* D

Toulon Columbus

2020 Truvis

Interesting post. I have moved to light weight shafts in everything except wedges. I do have one question as I read through the previous posts. Most of the posts talk about average driver yardage being around 200-220 yards. I noticed many of the driver lofts are 9-10.5 degrees. Was wondering why maybe people are not adding loft for these slower swing speeds. I have been told loft is your friend when swing speeds are below 90mph. I have lofted my Rogue driver to 12.5. Thoughts?

Please note, I am not trying to derail OP's posting, I have found it very interesting. Just peaked my interest on loft.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
Scotty Cameron Monterey

57 minutes ago, GolfNuts4 said:

Interesting post. I have moved to light weight shafts in everything except wedges. I do have one question as I read through the previous posts. Most of the posts talk about average driver yardage being around 200-220 yards. I noticed many of the driver lofts are 9-10.5 degrees. Was wondering why maybe people are not adding loft for these slower swing speeds. I have been told loft is your friend when swing speeds are below 90mph. I have lofted my Rogue driver to 12.5. Thoughts?

Please note, I am not trying to derail OP's posting, I have found it very interesting. Just peaked my interest on loft.

For me, even though I have a slow swing speed I put too much spin on the ball and higher lofts just make it worse.

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818H2 19*

Titleist 816H2 23*
Wilson V6's  4-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

3 hours ago, GolfNuts4 said:

For me the trade-off with a 10.5° driver was the need to avoid draw bias in higher lofted models.  I played a 12° previously and fought a constant battle with a smother hook.  I know this is a swing issue, but when the club exacerbates the swing flaw, what's a guy to do?  I tried dropping loft to open the face, but that didn't help much.  A neutral club gave a better result even if the launch angle was less than optimal.

• Like 1

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

5 hours ago, GolfNuts4 said:

I think in general you are correct, but also depends on how each individual delivers the club at impact.  For me i generally have a + AOA and live in the 15 to 16 degrees of loft with a 9 degree.  We found at 10 i was over 17 and adding a bit too much spin. 

Vokey SM 7 54/58

Vokey SM8 46*
TM Custom My Spider 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

65 years old 9 Handicap.

Ping G410 10.5 Driver set to +1.5 degrees for total loft of 12 degrees with EvenFlow Blue 5.0 shaft

Ping G410 5 Wood with 3 wood Alta CB65 shaft in Stiff flex set to 16.5 degrees

Ping G410 7 wood with 5 wood Alta CB65 shaft in Stiff Flex set to 20.5 degrees

Ping G410 4 Crossover with Alta CB70 Regular shaft

Ping G400 5 Crossover with Alta CB70 Regular Shaft

Ping I-500 6-W with Nippon NS Pro Modus 105 Regular Shaft

Vokey 52-12 with KBS Hi-Rev Shaft

Vokey 54-14 K Grind Wedge 

Vokey SM-8 60.08 M Grind 

TM Spider X Chalk Putter

Bridgestone Tour BRX 

The EvenFlow in the Driver works well for me even though its less flex than in my Fairways. I find the softer flex easier to load the shaft. In the fairways I went to my fitter and he had me take the 3 wood out of play as witht he added lfot the 5 wood went the same distance. My best shots were with a 3 wood shaft in the 5 wood head in stiff flex, the extra length makes it play between a regular and a stiff. Did the same in the 7 wood with a 5 wood shaft in the 20.5 degree head, also in stiff flex.

For a slower swing speed senior player the Crossovers are extremely easy to launch and I find the I-500 irons with the Modus shaft, high easy launching irons. 

Ping G410 Plus Tensei CK Orange 
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 4 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping G400 5 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping I500 6-W Irons  NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 
Ping Glide 3.0 50.12 NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105
Vokey Wedgeworks 54.16 K Grind DG S300
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

PXG One & Done Putter

11 minutes ago, tagermo said:

65 years old 9 Handicap.

Ping G410 10.5 Driver set to +1.5 degrees for total loft of 12 degrees with EvenFlow Blue 5.0 shaft

Ping G410 5 Wood with 3 wood Alta CB65 shaft in Stiff flex set to 16.5 degrees

Ping G410 7 wood with 5 wood Alta CB65 shaft in Stiff Flex set to 20.5 degrees

Ping G410 4 Crossover with Alta CB70 Regular shaft

Ping G400 5 Crossover with Alta CB70 Regular Shaft

Ping I-500 6-W with Nippon NS Pro Modus 105 Regular Shaft

Vokey 52-12 with KBS Hi-Rev Shaft

Vokey 54-14 K Grind Wedge 

Vokey SM-8 60.08 M Grind 

TM Spider X Chalk Putter

Bridgestone Tour BRX 

The EvenFlow in the Driver works well for me even though its less flex than in my Fairways. I find the softer flex easier to load the shaft. In the fairways I went to my fitter and he had me take the 3 wood out of play as witht he added lfot the 5 wood went the same distance. My best shots were with a 3 wood shaft in the 5 wood head in stiff flex, the extra length makes it play between a regular and a stiff. Did the same in the 7 wood with a 5 wood shaft in the 20.5 degree head, also in stiff flex.

For a slower swing speed senior player the Crossovers are extremely easy to launch and I find the I-500 irons with the Modus shaft, high easy launching irons. 

You indicate high easy launch in the i500 irons, so it's interesting to me that you're playing Modus 105 instead of the NS Pro 950GH, which are lighter and higher launching. Did you try them?

Boomer Sooner!

Titleist TSi2 11° - Ventus Velo Red 5R

Titleist TS2 18° - Ventus Velo Red 6R

Titleist 818H1 21° - AD HY 75R

Titleist 818H1 25° - AD HY 75R

TaylorMade 2020.P770 5-PW - NS Pro 950GH R

Vokey SM7 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 F - NS Pro 950GH R

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Titleist ProV1

I had played the NS Pro 950 GH in a set of Titleist irons years ago and loved them, tried several shafts in the I-500's and found the Modus fit me better, the NS Pro 950GH spun a bit to much for me. Don't think you can go wrong with Nippon shafts. 

Ping G410 Plus Tensei CK Orange 
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 4 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping G400 5 Crossover ALTA CB70
Ping I500 6-W Irons  NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 
Ping Glide 3.0 50.12 NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105
Vokey Wedgeworks 54.16 K Grind DG S300
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

PXG One & Done Putter