Anyone play punch shots on the course as a normal part of their playing?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are two sides to this.   1.  Are you hitting it correctly?  Most don’t. 2.  The better the golfer, the more extra club low flighted shots are hit.  Especially on a day you’re not

No.  If I'm hitting a punch shot there's a reason why I'm hitting it (windy, in the trees, etc.).

To master this shot, I feel we all must turn to CPG   Truly the master

I'm with @USCHawks31. It's a shot in my repertoire, but I choose it for a specific reason. Usually that reason is wind; sometimes it's to flight a ball lower to get it to bounce up a ridge to a level I can't hold safely if I fly it there. But there's always a reason.

Edited by goaliedad30
  • Like 1

I don't as I like to hit it high.  I can hit it low, but don't like to as a rule.

I did play a couple of rounds in Mesa are with a guy who hit everything low.  Low and solid.  He shot the easiest 65 I've ever seen.  He played nearly every day and I doubt he ever hit a shot that would clear a split level condo.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

This would be normal course of playing and not hitting shots low when it is windy.  If so, what club do you usually use?  Any reason why you use punch shot?   I am just curious if some golfer use punch shots in their bag of tricks.

When balata balls were used playing "punch shots" was fairly common among the best players, mostly because its was an appropriate shot from less than ideal lies and, or, when a straight shot (little curve either way) was best . Also, it's a relatively easy shot to play during pressure situations.

• Like 2

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

I don't as I like to hit it high.  I can hit it low, but don't like to as a rule.

I did play a couple of rounds in Mesa are with a guy who hit everything low.  Low and solid.  He shot the easiest 65 I've ever seen.  He played nearly every day and I doubt he ever hit a shot that would clear a split level condo.

Wow.  I would have liked to watch him do that.  I bet everything stayed in the fairway.  A lot of older guys do not have the distance but as they get older they learn to play smarter.

This guy is 78 and he is still hitting his 5 wood about 155.  He plays smart.  

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

As a part time minimalist golfer, I find the punch shot to be invaluable.  With two or three club gaps in my setup, I am regularly between clubs on full shots, and I find it easier to punch something consistently, rather than take a lot off or really lean on one.  Of course, that assumes there are no obstacles or hazards along the way.  

And, like others, trees, wind, escape routes often dictate punching even with a full bag.

Learning to effectively punch can bring a fun and creativity to golf that are sometimes forgotten.

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Watch that Graham MCdowell youtube 

You should always have two ways to play i to a green. High and soft and a bump and run

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

One of the main guys I play with hit mostly all punch shots.  He's amazing. We drive the ball about the same distance.  125 yards.  I'll hit a high 9 iron.  He'll hit a 6 or 7 iron and punch it low with a lot of spin.  It's unbelievable how much his ball checks coming in as low as it does.  I can hit low punch shots but I can't spin them like he can.  He practices that shot a lot, though. I mean almost everyday.  Seem pretty easy on the body, too.  

When I was recovering from surgery, I hit a lot of punch shots.  Unless you're playing very hard and fast greens, it seems like a fine way to play golf.  I don't see any downsides if you're good at it.  

I’d say 75 percent of my shots from 8-LW are punches

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix HQ3x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

Not as high a % as @cardoustie, but pretty common as well with different clubs depending on conditions maybe starting from about 120 and in.  But when I practice I'm always hitting 6/7/8 100 yards as part of trying to work on whatever and synch things up, so have gained a lot more confidence from that.  Distance/trajectory control seem to be the key.  At the Masters a few years ago, watched Spieth on the range late into the evening all alone except for his coach hitting little wedges different distances and different flights - it was fascinating. 

Now that I see Cardy is at at 75% and knows what he's about I may re-evaluate, lol, and think about doing it more.  Seems to free me up a little, who knows.

• Confused 1

I hit a lot of punch shots under “normal” conditions at my course. We have a lot of greens that are pitched pretty severely from back to front. High flying wedge shots have a tendency to spin back off the front of the green where punch shots give it a bounce and stop. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

2 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

Wow.  I would have liked to watch him do that.  I bet everything stayed in the fairway.  A lot of older guys do not have the distance but as they get older they learn to play smarter.

This guy is 78 and he is still hitting his 5 wood about 155.  He plays smart.  

He hit it about 250-260 off the tee and laser beam straight.  Seemed like every shot was right off the middle of the face - low and a tight spin.  Nearly made an Ace and somehow made a couple of bogies.  Thought he might have been a pro, but turned out he had worked in a mattress factory somewhere in the Mid-West and helped coach the High School golf team.  Thought it might have been a special round for him, but I played with him by chance a year or so later and it was more of the same.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

All the time! It is easier to hit it straight when you are nervous and feel like you are about to poop yourself. Easy way to take distance off a club as well, as long as it isn't a front pin. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

M5 9.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 

(B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

PUTTER UNDERGOING WINTER TESTING

Pro V1X

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

There is a guy in my regular group who is 73 and all of his shots are low fades that look like punch shots.  He shoots in the low 70's from the front tees.  He hits his driver about 180 or so.

• Like 1

There are two sides to this.

1.  Are you hitting it correctly?  Most don’t.

2.  The better the golfer, the more extra club low flighted shots are hit.  Especially on a day you’re not at your best.  

My experience is the overwhelming majority of golfers hit short irons way too hard, with way too big of a swing and benefit from using more club and bringing the flight down.

• Like 4

I wouldn't say "punch" shots, but I'd say a majority of my swings are using my "fairway finder" tempo/speed and the ball moved back a bit.  I found when working on trying to hit the ball lower on the range that I made better contact and had less sidespin.  I put it on video and while I don't rotate much at all, my rear hip does not kick out early when I deliberately try to "hit it low".  What happens is I still end up hitting it plenty high most of the time, but it's actually with better spin numbers and a lot more control. 

• Like 1
In search of solid contact...
11 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

My experience is the overwhelming majority of golfers hit short irons way too hard, with way too big of a swing and benefit from using more club and bringing the flight down.

Truth !

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Punch? No

Flighted? Yes. 

When you learn to use spin and flight to control distance then you become a better player, especially into the wind.

Great example was yesterday. 17th hole, par 3. Front pin on the right side. Shot the distance at 172 (stock 7i). However, the shot played into a slight breeze, about half a club. Right of the pin was dead. 

Pulled 6i, played a 3/4 cut on a line about 10 yards left of the pin. Hit it just under the hole to about 20 feet. If  I try to pound a 7i there then it comes up short.

• Like 1

In the normal course of a round I'll hit several shots that are considered by some as punchy. I'll hit most of my approach shots where I try to keep the trajectory no higher than a single story roof. 

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

I like to flight the irons down when I'm 100 yds and in. Due to limited practice time I've found greater success "punching" the shot than trying to fly it the right distance. My goal is to not miss a green from 100 yards - not always successful but punch works best for me.

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

To hit a punch correctly requires practice and great impact position.  It's not just hitting it low.  It's controlling the club face, spin, and trajectory.  I've always said that, of you want to see how good someone is... Have them hit full speed punch shots that curve right to left AND left to right.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver Tour AD XC

Titleist TS2 3 wood Tensei blue

Titleist TS2 5 wood HZRDUS smoke black

Titleist T-100s 4-gap

Vokey sm8 54/12d and 60/12d 

Scotty Cameron special select 1.5