This is a topic that will irritate you, but make your handicap go down.

MonteScheinblum

27 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Probably from keeping your left arm straight.

Here’s what would be really disturbing for you.  We are playing in a scramble, you hit a nice 265 yard bomb into the middle of the fairway on a 500 yard par 5.  With one already in the fairway, I take a big cut and hit it a few steps into the right rough with 145 to a back pin.  You pure a PW and pose over it, as it lands behind the hole and one bounces in the back bunker.  I proceed to hit one 15 feet underneath the pin.  You ask me what I hit.

”8 iron”

When I say this scenario of 2 less clubs hit by me after my drive was significantly farther, has happened hundreds of times, I mean it with the over used word literally.

More disturbing would be no one making the putt !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Here’s what would be really disturbing for you.  We are playing in a scramble, you hit a nice 265 yard bomb into the middle of the fairway on a 500 yard par 5.  With one already in the fairway, I take a big cut and hit it a few steps into the right rough with 145 to a back pin.  You pure a PW and pose over it, as it lands behind the hole and one bounces in the back bunker.  I proceed to hit one 15 feet underneath the pin.  You ask me what I hit.

”8 iron”

When I say this scenario of 2 less clubs hit by me after my drive was significantly farther, has happened hundreds of times, I mean it with the over used word literally.

So, that's the irritation...  Well, I've got a couple of months to think about all this and work on it mentally before I can get a chance to hit some balls.

The irony of the Golfer's Elbow is that I didn't get it from golf.  I got it from siding a shed that I built in the first Covid lockdown.  Should've rented a nail gun.  Heck with the money I've spent on Physio, I could've bought 2 nail guns.

• Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

22 minutes ago, Socrates said:

So, that's the irritation...  Well, I've got a couple of months to think about all this and work on it mentally before I can get a chance to hit some balls.

The irony of the Golfer's Elbow is that I didn't get it from golf.  I got it from siding a shed that I built in the first Covid lockdown.  Should've rented a nail gun.  Heck with the money I've spent on Physio, I could've bought 2 nail guns.

I had golfer's elbow bad. So bad I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee in the morning. Went online, saw some stretches and did this stretch several times a day. In three or four days it was 90%, and then it was gone. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it. 🙂

image.png.876cdd0da949e877eae790a793366ac6.png

• Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

3 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Something like this happens to me regularly all the time. I’m not long by Wrx standards, but at about 280 carry Im easily longer than the vast majority of people I get paired up with at the local courses. Yet people are always surprised when they ask what iron I hit on par 3s. I’ve regularly taken a 8 iron where people who are 30 yards behind me off the tee are hitting PW. Most of the time I’m not even hitting a partial shot but just taking an easy full swing. 

I am very interested to work on taking more 3/4 swings with the 9-7 irons over the next few months and seeing how my proximity from each range changes. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant - Diamana Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

5 hours ago, Obee said:

I had golfer's elbow bad. So bad I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee in the morning. Went online, saw some stretches and did this stretch several times a day. In three or four days it was 90%, and then it was gone. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it. 🙂

Thank you! I haven't had GE all through lockdown, but one session hitting off mats and it started to twinge again. 

9 hours ago, Obee said:

Love this stretch do it regularly.  Another thing I've found that helps is Olive's I never liked them but have been eating green olives for a couple yrs. I swear it took away my tendinitis in shoulder and elbow. My goto snack now.

20201204_072914.jpg

Late to the game, but this is THE whole thesis of my 2020 golf season

Driver 295 carry

PW 145 carry

I started this season with an 8 handicap and I am finishing up a solid 4. I am a long time Monte follower and in my opinion this goes exactly hand in hand with his Rhythm and Tempo video in Drive 4 Dough. I never once this season, I repeat never, hit my PW more than 135 on the course even though on the range I can pepper the 150 flag all day long. But it is a fool’s errand to say I am X yards out and X club is that distance so that’s my club for this shot. I hate to rant but man this thread is so perfectly timed. 

Two examples from just this past week alone about this very topic:

1. 195 downhill approach shot, easily plays 15-20 yards shorter on a day with no wind. However, just the other day, wind was a good 15 mph in our faces and the temperature was 40 degrees. I took out my 5 iron (which on the range I carry 215), hit it super low with a controlled half swing and put it 15 feet from the cup. (Misses the putt, but hey nobody’s perfect). Of course I get the what club did you hit and no one believed me. 

2. The next day, 145 yard par 3, no wind however still a 40 degree day. I was between an 8 or a 9, ended up with the 9 (this is 165 club all day long on the range) and was pin high with a 20 foot birdie putt. Missed again but I will take par all day long. Same reaction from a different group of guys, one guy who I play with regularly said nice PW and he was shocked when I told him it was a 9 iron. 

Sorry to rant but this topic is huge in my opinion. I start every practice session hitting 100 yard PWs, 140 yard 7I, so on and so forth. This helps tremendously when you are inside 125 yards and you need to start hitting controlled wedge shots. Most guys are shocked when I tell them I hit my 54 degree 75 yards with a little half swing that feels smooth and effortless. I always get the “Why not hit a 3/4 lob wedge” and I just laugh. 

Any, and I mean any golfer who is not getting paid to play the game should listen to Monte. The man knows his stuff. 

• Like 2

PXG 0811 X 9 degree with Ventus Black 6X

PXG 0341 XF 16.5 degree with Ventus Blue 7X

PXG 0311X Driving Iron 20 degree with KBS Hybrid Prototype 95X

PXG 0311 T 4 - P with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 60 with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack with Plumbers Neck

Titleist Pro V1

On 11/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, dhacker56 said:

BTW I am old enough to be your Father and maybe your Grandfather.  Do you talk to them that way?

You must be really ancient considering he's in his 50s. When a 100 year old man hits a wedge 115, we need to take notice. Are you skulling it or just ridiculously long?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose c. said:

Another thing I've found that helps is Olive's I never liked them but have been eating green olives for a couple yrs. I swear it took away my tendinitis in shoulder and elbow. My goto snack now.

Please share how you've determined that eating green olives helps with tendinitis. Why doesn't beer, or matcha tea?

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

14 minutes ago, YMark said:

Please share how you've determined that eating green olives helps with tendinitis. Why doesn't beer, or matcha tea?

Looked at holistic foods that help inflammation &tendinitis.  Never ate an olive before couldn't stand them. Could be placebo effect? All I know is elbow&shoulder feel great and they go good in my sunday morning bloody mary.

Enough about olive's this topic Monte started is excellent!

12 hours ago, Obee said:

I do this one all the time.  Along with massage, physio and my thera-band.  Reached an impasse after 2 months so next week I have a Cortisone shot scheduled.  Then we shall see if I can work on my flighted 3/4 shots by Feb.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

15 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

”8 iron”

Yet this is a perfect learning opportunity for the rest of your group, assuming they are able to see it in the middle of playing.

1 hour ago, leekgolf said:

You must be really ancient considering he's in his 50s. When a 100 year old man hits a wedge 115, we need to take notice. Are you skulling it or just ridiculously long?

I didn't know who he was..  BTW I totally misunderstood the meaning of his thread and I have privately apologized to him... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Socrates said:

I bought an electric nail gun and did a 2800 sq ft roof with it then sold it on ebay.

Off topic. Sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dhacker56 said:

I didn't know who he was..  BTW I totally misunderstood the meaning of his thread and I have privately apologized to him... 

Ahh..so you are normally only completely disrespectful to strangers (yet demand their respect) when you don't know who they are (or their qualifications). Totally OK then, keep it up!

Edited by Krt22

On 11/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

230 average drive

110 average pitching wedge

For the longest time, I thought and believed that my pw goes 120 - 130. LOL Getting on the launch monitor gave me a rude awakening. 

It's winter here in Canada and I got stuck with my driver and 9 iron and sw because I sold my irons and have yet to find the replacements due to Covid and the lock down and I have been playing indoors on a simulator. What a revelation it has been, playing with these three clubs. Then this thread came along.

In the two weeks that I have been playing three clubs, I have learned to hit my 9 iron from 20 yard bump and runs, to 80 yard punch shots to 140 yard all out max effort shots. I realized that 120 yards is my sweet spot for my 9 iron. Less 10 yards, then even better. Whenever I am hitting an approach shot using my 9 iron, I keep telling myself, accuracy first. 

I know it's just the sim but I have shot in the low to mid 80's, sometimes breaking 80, playing 6100 yard courses. I cannot wait to try this in real life come spring / summer. 

Edited by msg
update
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Ahh..so you are normally only completely disrespectful to strangers (yet demand their respect) when you don't know who they are (or their qualifications). Totally OK then, keep it up!

No disrespect was intended.  I was trying to get an anwer to a simple question.  You need to go back a read again.

@MonteScheinblum, would you and the other more seasoned players (@Obee, @RichieHunt@Dan Drake) say that there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to the left-arm parallel swing through the bag?

I'm in the average range where my stock full-swing carry under normal conditions is:

Driver: 250-260

4W: 215-220

3H: 200-205

4H: 190-195

5i: 180-185

6i: 170-175

7i: 160-165

8i: 145-150

9i: 135-140

PW: 125-130

GW: 110-115

SW: 95-100

LW: 85-90

I see the obvious value in a controlled left-arm parallel feel swing for a 110 yard shot with a PW when my full shot usually goes 125 yards.

But what about faced with 170 yards and it's between a full swing 6-iron, or using that same left-arm parallel feel shot with a 5-iron. Or deciding a shortened 4W from 190 is preferable to the all-out 4H?

I feel like there would generally be a drop-off where 3/4 shots with wedges are preferable to full swings, but using that same 3/4 feel with a mid-iron/long-iron/hybrid is suboptimal.

Edited by DLev45

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

23 minutes ago, DLev45 said:

@MonteScheinblum, would you and the other more seasoned players (@Obee, @RichieHunt@Dan Drake) say that there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to the left-arm parallel swing through the bag?

I'm in the average range where my stock full-swing carry under normal conditions is:

Driver: 250-260

4W: 215-220

3H: 200-205

4H: 190-195

5i: 180-185

6i: 170-175

7i: 160-165

8i: 145-150

9i: 135-140

PW: 125-130

GW: 110-115

SW: 95-100

LW: 85-90

I see the obvious value in a controlled left-arm parallel feel swing for a 110 yard shot with a PW when my full shot usually goes 125 yards.

But what about faced with 170 yards and it's between a full swing 6-iron, or using that same left-arm parallel feel shot with a 5-iron. Or deciding a shortened 4W from 190 is preferable to the all-out 4H?

I feel like there would generally be a drop-off where 3/4 shots with wedges are preferable to full swings, but using that same 3/4 feel with a mid-iron/long-iron/hybrid is suboptimal.

For regular play, yes, but being able to hit a left arm parallel 5 iron low, with low spin, is a huge weapon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

For regular play, yes, but being able to hit a left arm parallel 5 iron low, with low spin, is a huge weapon.

Where would you usually draw that line?

PW (45*)?

9-iron (41*)?

7-iron (33*)?

Just depends?

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

17 hours ago, Obee said:

I don't drink coffee, but I couldn't pick up a glass of water. 🙂 I ended up switching to graphite shafts as nothing else worked, which took care of the problem. I also used a TheraBand. 

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Resistance-Improving-Strength-Tendonitis/dp/B07X96TW5H