2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

This is a topic that will irritate you, but make your handicap go down.

Driver: 250 to 270 dependent on conditions.

PW: 110-120. Stock yardage is 120.

I have quite a large gap between my PW and Gap wedge. 25 yards to be exact so out of necessity I've learned to take 10 off the PW when I need to. It's much more reliable than trying to squeeze an extra 5 out of the GW which usually results in a pull that misses the green.

The best iron shots of my life have always been the result of taking more club, making a 3/4 swing and sawing off the finish. Makes me feel like a real shotmaker even though I only pretend to be.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Winner!!!!!!!

So my question is (and it may have been answered), what can you do to consistently strike an iron with a reduced swing? Hitting a 56 or 58 close in requires the most severe adjustment of tempo but I'm much more 'in touch with the green' being that close so I really get to feel the distance to help me. Being over 100+ out, its now about trusting something other than my eyes to tell my body how hard to swing. Whats a good general tip to develop a consistent less-than-100% swing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pktaske said:

So my question is (and it may have been answered), what can you do to consistently strike an iron with a reduced swing? Hitting a 56 or 58 close in requires the most severe adjustment of tempo but I'm much more 'in touch with the green' being that close so I really get to feel the distance to help me. Being over 100+ out, its now about trusting something other than my eyes to tell my body how hard to swing. Whats a good general tip to develop a consistent less-than-100% swing?

Monte has posted about this on his website and Instagram. Develop a reliable left arm parallel swing that you can use with a number of clubs. I've been working on this every day for a month and now have a whole host of new shots. You can still be positive and aggressive with this swing, but it's under so much more control. 

41 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Monte has posted about this on his website and Instagram. Develop a reliable left arm parallel swing that you can use with a number of clubs. I've been working on this every day for a month and now have a whole host of new shots. You can still be positive and aggressive with this swing, but it's under so much more control. 

And I don't find it's "a severe adjustment of tempo" - but it is if your swing isn't synched up and you can't do it in slow motion and when there is a ball in front.  When changing my short game motion I will say the hardest thing for me was taking the club back just a very little bit on a very small shot and learning a minivan vs. Ferrari approach (Monte speak) to hitting the ball - then coming through with a good release to a finish.  Eye opener.  I remember being on a back tee box while others were hitting during a playing lesson with Monte trying to get me just to take it back enough to hit the ball about 2-3 yards and use the bounce (previously a foreign concept to me with my formerly ball back, stiff wrist motion).

Agree with you, but also think dropping balls at 100 yards and hitting your 150 club yard to a target, as Monte recommends, is such good practice in general.   Doesn't have to be that extreme - take the PW from 100 instead of say 135, and work on it - whether it's left arm parallel or a little more, you'll learn to keep your backswing to an appropriate amount and you may find you hit the ball more solid than with your 135 swing.  The green or whatever is still a target from 100, just as it is from 40.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

Driver - 275

PW - 130 - 140

Great discussion here, really like the idea of the thread!

I'm fairly good with half and 3/4 shot 'specialty wedges' inside 100 yards (fairly good is being generous) but my ability at those shots above 100 yards is a definite weakness.  For me its not even about hitting 'half' yardages as to be honest I'm not good enough to be that accurate, its more about the benefit you get from more controlled swings & slightly lower ball flights.

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

11 hours ago, Obee said:

More like 5 to 7?

Well, my 48 goes about 123, my 52 goes about 108 and my 56 is about 98, so 4 degrees difference is in the 10-15 range. Granted there may also be a length difference which might pull that down a bit, but that was where I came up with 10-12 from. 

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Quoting myself from another thread where a guy was having wedge gapping problems -

On 11/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, scott_Donald said:

I read this thread this morning; I was thinking about it again reading the replies.

For me I would say the problem is two things - your 54* and how you hit your wedges.

For me - 

I hit my 46* full out once in a blue moon, 1 time I can think of in my last 4 rounds.

I hit my 50* full out once every 2 blue moons, not once in my last 4 rounds.

I hit my 55* never full out

I hit my 60* never full out.

In my wedge fitting 56* was better in the bunker over my normal 54*, playing with flighted 3/4 shots I was hitting the same distance with a 54* and 56* so we went happy medium. 

I hit a 60* at a 120 flag the other week for about 10 shots, don't think I made it right there but I did get close but again I would not hit it past 90 unless a strong wind behind on the course. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Driver: 300

PW: 140

After reading through the topic I see where you were going with this and agree. I tend to hit the ball quite high, probably due to too long of an arm swing which I have been working on. If I can avoid it I will almost never hit anything under 8 iron completely full unless it's an absolutely perfect yardage, mainly because I spin the ball like crazy and can't control it. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

And I don't find it's "a severe adjustment of tempo" - but it is if your swing isn't synched up and you can't do it in slow motion and when there is a ball in front.  When changing my short game motion I will say the hardest thing for me was taking the club back just a very little bit on a very small shot and learning a minivan vs. Ferrari approach (Monte speak) to hitting the ball - then coming through with a good release to a finish.  Eye opener.  I remember being on a back tee box while others were hitting during a playing lesson with Monte trying to get me just to take it back enough to hit the ball about 2-3 yards and use the bounce (previously a foreign concept to me with my formerly ball back, stiff wrist motion).

Agree with you, but also think dropping balls at 100 yards and hitting your 150 club yard to a target, as Monte recommends, is such good practice in general.   Doesn't have to be that extreme - take the PW from 100 instead of say 135, and work on it - whether it's left arm parallel or a little more, you'll learn to keep your backswing to an appropriate amount and you may find you hit the ball more solid than with your 135 swing.  The green or whatever is still a target from 100, just as it is from 40.

No, not a severe adjustment to tempo, but when you start to feel comfortable it's possible to play around with different tempos. I've found that I get different spin by doing this. Lazy minivan tempo for a little roll out, but if I speed it up I get a bit more stop. 

I've always played around with spin and trajectory around the green, but never really dedicated time to doing it from 20-120 yards. It's been a pleasure. 

• Like 1

driver 300 PW 135 but that's about as far as I want to ever hit it....I can go 140-145 but swinging hard with a short iron/wedge feels awkward and loose all sorts of control on direction and trajectory.  There are a couple things I have worked on that have helped me a lot over the last few years.  One is learning to hit everything from a SW to 3 iron 100 yards (carry) by varying the backswing length as you would normally.  Great for punch outs on long irons and great for control of short irons.  The next is taking a full swing and hitting a club 2-3 clubs less than normal...so full swing 8 iron (160-165 club) and hitting it 135-140.  It may be a bit overkill but distance control is hands down my best attribute.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Never actually answered the questions Monte posed. I have no problem carrying a driver 300 when swinging well. I carry a 47 degree pitching wedge 135 with a "full" swing, probably 140ish in the summer. Full being the operative word here. 135 is the distance where my dispersion is best. I can easily get PW to 150 very comfortably without losing trajectory control but dispersion will suffer. There is a reason you have a nine iron. 

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question.  I have seen comments about a left arm parallel swing being as much as you want to use with a wedge unless I am reading things wrong. How does this apply to those of us that have left arm parallel as our full swing? Thanks to being overweight and not being super flexible, that's my normal full swing, I can't easily get further at this point in time. I prefer to hit a partial wedge versus a full wedge right now regardless but it sounds like this concept applies to short irons as well.

Edited by bortass

33 minutes ago, b.mattay said:

I can easily get PW to 150 very comfortably without losing trajectory control but dispersion will suffer. There is a reason you have a nine iron. 

True. And it's not to hit it 150 yards. 😉

• Like 2

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

16 minutes ago, bortass said:

@MonteScheinblumHopefully this isn't a dumb question.  I have seen comments about a left arm parallel swing being as much as you want to use with a wedge unless I am reading things wrong. How does this apply to those of us that have left arm parallel as our full swing? Thanks to being overweight and not being super flexible, that's my normal full swing, I can't easily get further at this point in time. I prefer to hit a partial wedge versus a full wedge right now regardless but it sounds like this concept applies to short irons as well.

Nobody said that about left arm parallel. We're just saying that it's a great thing to get down so that you have control of your swing. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Of course, I agree.  "May" is appropriate, and I was hoping the loose correlation was the caveat.  I am sure we do not want to get started on PW lofts, as they can easily range from 42-48 degrees.  Not the point @Howard_Jones was making, and I was relaying.  Thanks!

PW carry x 2 = Driver carry is a very good rule of thumb to see if the players clubs works as they should in both ends. The PW we talk has a loft of 46 to 48. A player who is a bit off from that factor should take a look at the club identified as the shortest of them, thats the practical use of it.

The same players who has a ratio of 2:1 will most likely have a driver with a Total wgt that 0.7 vs their PW, and that factor can be used to judge if TW might be the issue when they dont have the 2:1 factor for carry.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

1 hour ago, bortass said:

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question.  I have seen comments about a left arm parallel swing being as much as you want to use with a wedge unless I am reading things wrong. How does this apply to those of us that have left arm parallel as our full swing? Thanks to being overweight and not being super flexible, that's my normal full swing, I can't easily get further at this point in time. I prefer to hit a partial wedge versus a full wedge right now regardless but it sounds like this concept applies to short irons as well.

Not as much as you'd want to use, but a good shot to have and practice. If you can't get past left arm parallel, I'd venture to say it's not just flexibility/weight, but also how you move. I used to think the same thing about myself when I had a very short swing, but it's because I wasn't pivoting correctly. If you hips rotate too flat and you don't extend your spine correctly, rotation of the shoulders will be limited.

1 hour ago, Howard_Jones said:

PW carry x 2 = Driver carry is a very good rule of thumb to see if the players clubs works as they should in both ends. The PW we talk has a loft of 46 to 48. A player who is a bit off from that factor should take a look at the club identified as the shortest of them, thats the practical use of it.

The same players who has a ratio of 2:1 will most likely have a driver with a Total wgt that 0.7 vs their PW, and that factor can be used to judge if TW might be the issue when they dont have the 2:1 factor for carry.

I tell people 9 iron times 2 equals driver carry.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 minute ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I tell people 9 iron times 2 equals driver carry.

Monte, where is the problem if that isn't the case. I.e. someone carries their 9 iron 130 and their driver 230? Mis-fitting driver or a poor driver swing, or a bit of both? 

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

24 minutes ago, YMark said:

Monte, where is the problem if that isn't the case. I.e. someone carries their 9 iron 130 and their driver 230? Mis-fitting driver or a poor driver swing, or a bit of both? 

Swing faults are magnified on driver which means there’s an even bigger speed loss.  The biggest issue is conscious and sub conscious hitting up on driver magnifies many swing faults to a HUGE degree.  

...and because people just hit their wedges too far.

That was the biggest thing that brought Tiger into Goat Status.  

‘He was not an all world wedge player when he came on tour.  When he started bringing the speed and ball down, that’s what brought on 2000.

In the first post I said what people respond and some did.  It’s not about can you hit it that far and that you’re a good wedge player already.  It’s about becoming better.

I am a damn good golfer playing once a month and practicing once a week.  Does that mean I shouldn’t play and practice more?

I’m one of the longest 53 year old hitters in the world.  Does that mean I shouldn’t get more fit so I can hit it longer and straighter and shoot lower?

• Like 4

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Driver: 260-270

PW: 130

My PW swing looks like Steve Stricker swing. 

I can hit the PW 140 if I need to. Last round I just missed the fairway to the left. 143 out to a back center pin. Large tree in right in my line, and a creek running it front of the green. Would ideally hit a partial flighted 8 out but no way it would clear the trees. Didnt think a 9 would either. So it's go time on the PW. Short is wet. Super high hands, super deep turn, drop it down and shallow it out to hit a monster high draw that flies 145 right at the pin but unfortunately ran off the back of the green. Hard to believe that at the angle it was coming down that it didnt just stick right into the green, but must not of had much spin. And that's why that is not my stock shot. Looks really good at times, but isnt always functional. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I had 119yd 3rd shot into a Par 5 oddly shaped green Sunday, that's PW distance for this ole man.  But I used 620MB 9i instead.  I have fun dialing back my tempo to use a longer club for shorter distance.  Paid off too.  Beautiful trajectory right on the pin, ball hit and bounced once, twice then ran towards the back pin but was moved offline by an undulation, leaving 12' putt which I missed but it was an easy par.  Damn, I love this game. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

9 hours ago, pktaske said:

The hardest thing is finding a good space to practice with reliable golf balls. 30 years ago there was heaps of public space where I could hit my own balls and collect them. I would step out the distance and put a different coloured cone at every 5 steps and each golfer would put their own mark on each ball. No one ever got sued. I'm lucky today that some of my local clubs let me do it when it is quiet and I use a range finder. Another way is if I'm practising on the course on my own I'll hit a few balls practising a lesser swing with a longer club. The tour pros just whip out their $20k flight monitor and practise hitting certain distances with brand new balls they wouldn't even bother collecting! The old tour pros had a caddy with a baseball mitt.

In terms of the process for me it is just feel. I would have no idea how long my backswing is and don't want to.

I know others need to do it the other way around. "If I swing to my shoulder with a PW my ball goes ......... If I swing to my waist with my PW my ball goes ......."

Some people also do better thinking of their follow through position. 

There is no one way to do it. As long as it suits you. 

The most important thing I would say is to have a good feedback system. 

21 minutes ago, freowho said:

The hardest thing is finding a good space to practice with reliable golf balls. 30 years ago there was heaps of public space where I could hit my own balls and collect them. I would step out the distance and put a different coloured cone at every 5 steps and each golfer would put their own mark on each ball. No one ever got sued. I'm lucky today that some of my local clubs let me do it when it is quiet and I use a range finder. Another way is if I'm practising on the course on my own I'll hit a few balls practising a lesser swing with a longer club. The tour pros just whip out their $20k flight monitor and practise hitting certain distances with brand new balls they wouldn't even bother collecting! The old tour pros had a caddy with a baseball mitt.

In terms of the process for me it is just feel. I would have no idea how long my backswing is and don't want to.

I know others need to do it the other way around. "If I swing to my shoulder with a PW my ball goes ......... If I swing to my waist with my PW my ball goes ......."

Some people also do better thinking of their follow through position. 

There is no one way to do it. As long as it suits you. 

The most important thing I would say is to have a good feedback system. 

I gotta field. And a shag bag. Thx.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

Interesting, as that's just about exactly where I am.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

@MonteScheinblum I asked you a question several pages back about ripping wedges back off of greens when you played professionally. Wasn't sure if you saw it because I didn't see a response. Was that something that you frequently did? Or was it more that you would just spin the ball back to 20 or 30 feet when you should've been within 10 to 12 feet more frequently? I'm guessing it was the latter?

9 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

Driver: 290 yards

PW: 130-135 yards on a full swing.

RH

Richie, do you CARRY it 290? Or total distance?

4 minutes ago, Obee said:

@MonteScheinblum I asked you a question several pages back about ripping wedges back off of greens when you played professionally. Wasn't sure if you saw it because I didn't see a response. Was that something that you frequently did? Or was it more that you would just spin the ball back to 20 or 30 feet when you should've been within 10 to 12 feet more frequently? I'm guessing it was the latter?

Both.  I was outhouse at castle with wedges.  Never decent.

65 or 75

BERTRAND RUSSELL