Back to Dynamic Gold?

achappy

I’ve been a long time DG used up until this past year (October of last year).   I’ve tried DG105, KBS Tour, AMT, and now Elevate Tours.  The Elevates have been the best feel wise but I think they spin a little too much for me.  Today I hit a friends 7i with DG300 and it was like finding an old girlfriend 😁  That kick through impact with medium trajectory. Plus something about a heavy shaft matches my tempo and I just dead flushed it.  Granted it was only one shot but I just haven’t felt the strike consistency I’ve always had with DGs since switching to different weight/profiles.  With DG, I feel like I can just the club “drop” right into back of the ball because of the weight.  

Given the number of steel shafts now, I was just wondering who went back to DG and why?

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Maltby TS4 5-PW Nippon 115 

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

While you can't make a real decision from n=1 swing, it sounds like you want to rekindle the relationship with your first love.  And you never forget your first.   

I tried mp h4 with s300 last week.  Really nice irons and a really good price.  Was ready to buy them.  Hit them like garbage and think i strained an oblique with this heavy shafts.  And i played s300 for years.  

The new Modus 115 would be a great mid weight option to consider. DG style bend profile with Modus feel. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I’ve been thing the same thing on going back to DG.  Spent the last year with PX LZ 5.5s and even though they have great feel, and long, I am have very inconsistent with them.   I’m starting to think it’s because of the lighter shaft.  Would a shaft being 15 grams lighter make that big of a difference?  I was thinking of going back to standard S300 or DGS400 TI.

Edited by Whit1969

TSR3 9* Ventus Blue Velocore

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-G Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1

34 minutes ago, Whit1969 said:

I’ve been thing the same thing on going back to DG.  Spent the last year with PX LZ 5.5s and even though they have great feel, and long, I am have very inconsistent with them.   I’m starting to think it’s because of the lighter shaft.  Would a shaft being 15 grams lighter make that big of a difference?  I was thinking of going back to standard S300 or DGS400 TI.

Very possibly the weight or it could be the profile of the shaft. The only lightweight shaft that I’ve played well is the old Ping KT-M and ZZ65 shafts and I believe it’s because the profile is very similar to DG.  But I only liked them in long irons (still occasionally play an Eye2+ 2iron with a KT-M).  For me heavy shafts swing themselves and my timing and rhythm feed off of it. 

I had the same issue with bowling balls. Could never switch to lighter weights.  

Edited by achappy

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Maltby TS4 5-PW Nippon 115 

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

1 hour ago, Doctorkell said:

I played DG S300’s for years before going through a litany of other shafts since.  I have Modus 120 S in my Z785’s now and this week put a DG 120 S300 in my 8 iron for a trial run. 2 rounds in and it sure feels good using a DG again.

I'd like to hear your results with the DG 120's.

I just ordered Ping i210's with DG 120 TI S400. I'm hoping lighter weight will help with swing speed and late round energy.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, achappy said:

I’ve been a long time DG used up until this past year (October of last year).   I’ve tried DG105, KBS Tour, AMT, and now Elevate Tours.  The Elevates have been the best feel wise but I think they spin a little too much for me.  Today I hit a friends 7i with DG300 and it was like finding an old girlfriend 😁  That kick through impact with medium trajectory. Plus something about a heavy shaft matches my tempo and I just dead flushed it.  Granted it was only one shot but I just haven’t felt the strike consistency I’ve always had with DGs since switching to different weight/profiles.  With DG, I feel like I can just the club “drop” right into back of the ball because of the weight.  

Given the number of steel shafts now, I was just wondering who went back to DG and why?

Old girlfriend (aka ex-girlfriend) are EX for a reason. You remember the good old times then you start to realize why you eventually left them... LOL

All jokes aside, currently dating Modus 120 but I am thinking of getting an additional set with DG. Can't forget the solid feel at impact which is different from Modus. Try out Modus 120 X and you will probably like your new shaft 🙂

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I love it when an ex-girlfriend kicks through impact with medium trajectory. 😄

• Haha 2

Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX  // Titleist TSi3 9* Kuro Kage 70XTS
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X  // Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x
Taylormade M5 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 8TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M-AX 85TX 
Srixon ZX Utility MKII  20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X // PING iBlade 3i HZRDUS Red 105X
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I had a set with KBS Tours in for a few years. They felt great, my irons probably went a touch further with them. But I just feel like I have a bit more control with a Dynamic Gold shaft. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

6 hours ago, golfer55082 said:

Why? What do you like an dislike 120tx? And x100?

Just feel like taking a step back in flex might do me some good.  I have quick club speeds but I'm not a heavy loader of the shaft and I think that X100 might be a better fit for me given the stoutness of the Modus TX profile.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, achappy said:

All around consistency for a wide range of shots is why DG has been the standard for decades.

There are shafts that may feel better, strike lower trajectory  or higher trajectory shots, have lighter weight, produce straighter shots,  easier to load, play softer or play stiffer etc...  but no shaft that I've played is as all around good as DG.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

5 hours ago, SCOTT4099 said:

Anyone who has hit both comment if the DG 120 s300 (green script) flies higher than the standard DG s300?

I have read conflicting info in this...thanks 

I personally felt DG 120 S300 is stiffer than DG S300.

Also felt harsher than regular DG S300.

If you want slightly lighter DG feel then try DG S200. Feels good like normal DG but a touch easier.

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I played S300's for years from high school on and couldn't wait until new brands and options became available.  I'm not a fan of DG shafts.  Harsh and dead feeling and a lot of vibration.  I moved on to many shafts over the years including kbs tour, c-taper, recoil proto and will be getting a set of irons tomorrow with MMT 125 x.  I switched to composite many years ago and haven't looked back.  Easier on the hands, better dispersion and easier to load it seems being that I am older now.  

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 12/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, hypergolf said:

I personally felt DG 120 S300 is stiffer than DG S300.

Also felt harsher than regular DG S300.

If you want slightly lighter DG feel then try DG S200. Feels good like normal DG but a touch easier.

I agree with this as well, the DG120 S300 feels harsher, just not as good as the 130g version. I still play the 120s in my JPX 919F and MP20, but going to put the heavier DGs300 in MP20's. My MP54 and MP32 both have the heavier S300 and feel better to me.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

19 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

I agree with this as well, the DG120 S300 feels harsher, just not as good as the 130g version. I still play the 120s in my JPX 919F and MP20, but going to put the heavier DGs300 in MP20's. My MP54 and MP32 both have the heavier S300 and feel better to me.

I wonder if same is true regarding the 120 X100?

I play S300 Sensicore in my Mizzy MP-15/33 combo set. They feel solid, but could fly a little lower. 

In my Maltby DBM Forged, I have X100‘s and like them a lot. But they do get heavy towards the end of the round.

That’s why I’ve just ordered my New Level 902‘s with DG 120 X100. Really hoping they give me the best of both worlds. 
Anyone can answer this?

WITB 2023

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3/5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW Mizuno T22

LW Callaway PM Grind 19

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro Drip/Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I wonder if same is true regarding the 120 X100?

I play S300 Sensicore in my Mizzy MP-15/33 combo set. They feel solid, but could fly a little lower. 

In my Maltby DBM Forged, I have X100‘s and like them a lot. But they do get heavy towards the end of the round.

That’s why I’ve just ordered my New Level 902‘s with DG 120 X100. Really hoping they give me the best of both worlds. 
Anyone can answer this?

Same thing for DG 120X. Preferred the feel of regular DG X100. Just didn't like the 120 in general.

But this is subjective so you might like it. Let us know how you go.

• Thanks 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, RaceTo100 said:

I would balloon the S300. I went to C-Tapers and now the C-Taper Lite. I like the C-Taper better. I really like the Modus 120. I am going to try out the Modus 130. If you love the DG S300, you might want to try the Modus 130 Stiff. I play heavier irons better even with a little loss of swing speed.

I heard that Modus 125 plays similar to DG. I have yet to try out the Modus 125 so just going by what the members here said.

Modus 120 is fantastic.

Curious about the new Modus 115 as well.

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I haven’t played DG in over a decade, but had a set of X7 waiting, not so patiently, for USPS to show up with my T100S. I played CTaper since their release, but very excited to get out of them for awhile. I’ve always loved the DG feel. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

From time to time I end up going back to DG S300... there is something about flushing one with this shaft that does feel amazing.  I like the weight as well BUT.... my elbows do hurt after a round like no other shaft can challenge.  I have again, moved on.... for now.

I have tried the S300 120 and to ME, they feel softer and not as controllable so while I didn't quite experience the elbow pain the 130g S300 gave I was just not a fan.  If you want a lighter S300 option, try the Modus 105.  The weight may take some getting used to, but they have the flight characteristics of the DG 300 IMO, just feel WAY better and are easier on the joints by far.  I haven't tried the 125, but they are supposed to be the same animal.  

I currently have a set of 718 CB with PX LZ 6.0, and just picked up a set of 785 with Modus 120 stiff so I am experimenting in the 115-120g range for the time being, but if that fails I have a set of Modus 130 I may try out in something.  

I will say, the dispersion of the DG S300/X100 has been tough to beat for me.  Prosoft inserts work wonders, I should maybe go that route again.

Ping G430 LST 9*  HZRDUS RDX blue pvd 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19*/22* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Ping i230 5-P KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

On 11/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, Valtiel said:

I love it when an ex-girlfriend kicks through impact with medium trajectory. 😄

So wrong yet so right........

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 12/3/2020 at 7:30 AM, hypergolf said:

Same thing for DG 120X. Preferred the feel of regular DG X100. Just didn't like the 120 in general.

But this is subjective so you might like it. Let us know how you go.

By the way, Eric Burch (New Level CEO) told me that he thinks the Modus 120X is very similar to the 120 X100. Knowing the Modus‘ are regarded as being smooth feeling, this gives me hope you are alone with your assessment 😉

Really curious how I like them. Currently on a golf trip and played the 2nd round in as many days today, and the X100‘s were a lot of work today. But they are just sooo good- hope to find comparable qualities in the 120g version!

WITB 2023

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3/5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW Mizuno T22

LW Callaway PM Grind 19

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro Drip/Snell MTB Prime